If God doesn't exist, do you?

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheFlameProof
Member since 2007 • 438 Posts
if god doesn't exist then do we exist? if god created humans, and if god never existed then did we ever exist? this might seem like a dumb question at first but give it some time, work with it until it's wrought in your mind, and tell me, is our existence imaginary?
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

I think, therefore I am.

translation: the only thing you can prove is yourself. therefore, a Hive Mind is the best way to prove things.

lerfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lerfish
Member since 2008 • 629 Posts
yes, because i'm sitting right here, typing this
Jaforbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jaforbe
Member since 2008 • 817 Posts
I dont need a god to tell me I exist.
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheFlameProof
yes, because i'm sitting right here, typing thislerfish
but how do you know that you typing it isn't just an imagination?
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheFlameProof

I think, therefore I am.

translation: the only thing you can prove is yourself. therefore, a Hive Mind is the best way to prove things.

Hewkii
you're thinking, but how do you know that your thinking is real? how do you know that your thinking isn't someone elses thinking in a parallel universe and you're just simply an imaginary replica? what if we're all one person's elborate dream? how do you know you're real?
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheFlameProof
I dont need a god to tell me I exist.Jaforbe
you don't, but how do you know you do?
Jaforbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jaforbe
Because I do. Alright?
bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts
[QUOTE="Hewkii"]

I think, therefore I am.

TheFlameProof

you're thinking, but how do you know that your thinking is real? how do you know that your thinking isn't someone elses thinking in a parallel universe and you just simply an imaginary replica? what if were all one person's elborate dream? how do you know you're real?

well thats sounds impossible to figure out... but i know i exist... i just dont know about the rest of you

Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
Why do we need god in order to exist?
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16027 Posts
I just pinched my arm and now it hurts so I think I'm qualified to say that I'm not an emotionless machine. I can't prove to everyone here that I'm a human so if you don't want to believe me then go right ahead.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

I think, therefore I am.

Hewkii
And as far as proving yourself goes....you can only prove you are capable of thinking.
KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts

I think I...wait

*fades to nothing*

TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheFlameProof
Because I do. Alright?Jaforbe
it's not alright. we might all be fictional characters. don't you find it a little bit fishy that we know how to do all these great thing with technology and stuff and we don't even know why we exist? that's because WE PROBABLY DON'T EXIST, it's not something that's unfathomable, it's not some big bang theory, i think it's merely logical thinking.
johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts
if it can be perceived then it is reality
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaforbe"]Because I do. Alright?TheFlameProof
it's not alright. we might all be fictional characters. don't you find it a little bit fishy that we know how to do all these great thing with technology and stuff and we don't even know why we exist? that's because WE PROBABLY DON'T EXIST, it's not something that's unfathomable, it's not some big bang theory, i think it's merely logical thinking.

Why do you say probably? :?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

That seems illogical...seems we have a mind capable of thinking and reasoning. We exist on at least that level. And fictional....?:?
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheFlameProof
I just pinched my arm and now it hurts so I think I'm qualified to say that I'm not an emotionless machine. I can't prove to everyone here that I'm a human so if you don't want to believe me then go right ahead.dracula_16
how is hurting and having emotion a characteristic of existing? how do we know that dreams don't feel the same way when you pinch them?
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheFlameProof
[QUOTE="TheFlameProof"][QUOTE="Jaforbe"]Because I do. Alright?LJS9502_basic

That seems illogical...seen we have a mind capable of thinking and reasoning. We exist on at least that level. And fictional....?:?

but how is capable thinking and reasoning a trait of existence? what if nonexistence also have those traits?
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
[QUOTE="Hewkii"]

I think, therefore I am.

TheFlameProof

you're thinking, but how do you know that your thinking is real? how do you know that your thinking isn't someone elses thinking in a parallel universe and you're just simply an imaginary replica? what if we're all one person's elborate dream? how do you know you're real?

Go read some Descartes. The only thing we can prove, (beyond even proving God, as Descartes wrestled with) is that we exist as a a mind/spirit that thinks. We may not be able to prove our world or our bodies, but we can prove that. It doesn't matter what the source of our thinking essence is or where it comes from, point is that we, as thinking constructs, exist.

i just know this thread is going to force me to open the Meditations again. I really don't want to.

Basically, contrary to the strange idea your attempting to posit, it's not possible to divorce thought from the thinker responsible for generating those thoughts. If you doubt, someone must be doing the doubting, and hence a thinker chained to your thoughts, is having those feelings, and regardless of the relation, that entity is at some level you.

If you want an epistemological problem that really baffles answer, try this one on for size: how do you know that the world wasn't, in reality, created just five minutes ago, including all of our memories, history books, etc?

Granted, philosophers generally disqualify questions like those on the basis that just as they cannot be disproven, they also cannot be proven.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
but how is capable thinking and reasoning a trait of existence? what if nonexistence also have those traits?
TheFlameProof
That's simply impossible dude.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Paladin_King

TheFlameProof

you can't put forward something like that without detailing how that would work. Thought in non-existence is an obvious paradox.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
no simpley god wouldn't have existed and we'ld have come from another source, it's like saying that before newton made his laws of gravity there was no gravity
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
no simpley god wouldn't have existed and we'ld have come from another source, it's like saying that before newton made his laws of gravity there was no gravitymarkop2003
Slightly different argument. Newton didn't make gravity.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Paladin_King

[QUOTE="markop2003"]no simpley god wouldn't have existed and we'ld have come from another source, it's like saying that before newton made his laws of gravity there was no gravityLJS9502_basic
Slightly different argument. Newton didn't make gravity.

Yes he did! :P

TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheFlameProof
[QUOTE="TheFlameProof"][QUOTE="Hewkii"]

I think, therefore I am.

Paladin_King

Go read some Descartes. The only thing we can prove, (beyond even proving God, as Descartes wrestled with) is that we exist as a a mind/spirit that thinks. We may not be able to prove our world or our bodies, but we can prove that. It doesn't matter what the source of our thinking essence is or where it comes from, point is that we, as thinking constructs, exist.

i just know this thread is going to force me to open the Meditations again. I really don't want to.

Basically, contrary to the strange idea your attempting to posit, it's not possible to divorce thought from the thinker responsible for generating those thoughts. If you doubt, someone must be doing the doubting, and hence a thinker chained to your thoughts, is having those feelings, and regardless of the relation, that entity is at some level you.

If you want an epistemological problem that really baffles answer, try this one on for size: how do you know that the world wasn't, in reality, created just five minutes ago, including all of our memories, history books, etc?

Granted, philosophers generally disqualify questions like those on the basis that just as they cannot be disproven, they also cannot be proven.

philosophers can't prove that reality was created five minutes ago because this COULD ALL BE A DREAM. WE COULD ALL PROBABLY BE IMAGINARY. we could all really be leading our lives in disjointed segments, like a dream, and not really feel any of that disjointedness because reality is being constantly recreated for us.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic
philosophers can't prove that reality was created five minutes ago because this COULD ALL BE A DREAM. WE COULD ALL PROBABLY BE IMAGINARY. we could all really be leading our lives in disjointed segments, like a dream, and not really feel any of that disjointedness because reality is being constantly recreated for us.
TheFlameProof
While our understanding of reality could be suspect...the fact that we think means we can't be imaginary. This is not logically possible.
Jaforbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jaforbe

This ended the thread for me right here. I dont mind posting but just typing crap to keep a lame thread on top is stupid. Why might we be fictional characters? Why is it fishy we know how to use this technology?It didnt happen overnight. WE PROBABLY DONT EXIST?!?! Give me a break.

TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheFlameProof

[QUOTE="TheFlameProof"]but how is capable thinking and reasoning a trait of existence? what if nonexistence also have those traits?
Paladin_King

you can't put forward something like that without detailing how that would work. Thought in non-existence is an obvious paradox.

i can't detail how it would work, i'm just putting it out there as a possibility. i'm not looking to win an argument, i'm looking at different possibilities and acknowledging them. and besides, things don't always work out nicely when reasoning is involved, especially when your talking about existence.
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheFlameProof
[QUOTE="TheFlameProof"] philosophers can't prove that reality was created five minutes ago because this COULD ALL BE A DREAM. WE COULD ALL PROBABLY BE IMAGINARY. we could all really be leading our lives in disjointed segments, like a dream, and not really feel any of that disjointedness because reality is being constantly recreated for us.
LJS9502_basic
While our understanding of reality could be suspect...the fact that we think means we can't be imaginary. This is not logically possible.

yeah, but how is human thought logically possible?
Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts

Maybe I do exist, and maybe I don't. I don't think it's possible for me to categorically prove that I exist in some form.

Plus, I'm hungry, and I need to go to school, so I'd rather not bother explaining my thoughts on the subject. It'd take too long.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic
yeah, but how is human thought logically possible?
TheFlameProof
Are you saying we don't think? I know I do.....your premise is indefensible.
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheFlameProof
Why do we need god in order to exist?DeeJayInphinity
we might not need God to exist but i'm just saying if we could question God's existence, can't we question our own?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]Why do we need god in order to exist?TheFlameProof
we might not need God to exist but i'm just saying if we could question God's existence, can't we question our own?

And again....logically since we can think, question, and reason....on at least that level we exist.
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheFlameProof
[QUOTE="TheFlameProof"] yeah, but how is human thought logically possible?
LJS9502_basic
Are you saying we don't think? I know I do.....your premise is indefensible.

i know we think, that's for sure, i'm just saying that how was it made possible? i think that thinking would be something that was impossible before and made possible through something virtually unknown. i'm just trying to prove my point that just because we can't think it possible, doesn't mean it is? or maybe i'm just going about this all wrong ...
-Twilight-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -Twilight-
Member since 2005 • 8931 Posts

Excellent logic. Put down the blunt.
leeveeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37 leeveeu
Member since 2003 • 3405 Posts

A quick logical recap: if A then B then if Non(B) then Non(a)

So, let's presume God's existence is A and our existence is B

So if the statement that our existence is proof of God's existence, then if we didn't exist, God would not exist either.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic
i know we think, that's for sure, i'm just saying that how was it made possible? i think that thinking would be something that was impossible before and made possible through something virtually unknown. i'm just trying to prove my point that just because we can't think it possible, doesn't mean it is? or maybe i'm just going about this all wrong ...
TheFlameProof
I'm not sure what you are trying to prove. If you are trying to prove God's existence through the capabilities of humans to do more than react or be conditioned....vis a vis...thinking and reasoning...then stick to that line of thought. But saying we are imaginary and thinking doesn't mean we exist doesn't work.
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheFlameProof
[QUOTE="TheFlameProof"][QUOTE="Jaforbe"]Because I do. Alright?-Twilight-

Excellent logic. Put down the blunt.

i don't have any blunts with me right now but i do have some nice a juicy newports. :)
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheFlameProof

A quick logical recap: if A then B then if Non(B) then Non(a)

So, let's presume God's existence is A and our existence is B

So if the statement that our existence is proof of God's existence, then if we didn't exist, God would not exist either.

leeveeu
no. i'm saying if we could question God's existence, what's stopping us from questioning ours?
TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TheFlameProof
[QUOTE="TheFlameProof"] i know we think, that's for sure, i'm just saying that how was it made possible? i think that thinking would be something that was impossible before and made possible through something virtually unknown. i'm just trying to prove my point that just because we can't think it possible, doesn't mean it is? or maybe i'm just going about this all wrong ...
LJS9502_basic
I'm not sure what you are trying to prove. If you are trying to prove God's existence through the capabilities of humans to do more than react or be conditioned....vis a vis...thinking and reasoning...then stick to that line of thought. But saying we are imaginary and thinking doesn't mean we exist doesn't work.

but you can be an imaginary character and think right? we know just as much about imaginary characters as we do about "real" people right? so why can't they be one in the same? and what really seperates us from those that are imaginary? imaginary things might be able to feel pain when you pinch them, so can we, so does that mean we are imaginary? imaginary things might be able to contemplate and reflect on their lives, so can we, so does that mean we are imaginary?
watchmen89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 watchmen89
Member since 2008 • 60 Posts

God's existence and our own are different things. I think that people who don't believe in god won't say he created us, so the way you started this topic is a little off.

Yup, Descartes all the way, I think therefore i am, it's the only certainty that i have. I can be pluged to a machine that gives me all my sensorial data (i can be still, laid down yet feel my body moving, see it, etc.) and i wouldn't be able to tell it. You may all be bots, sensorial data i receive, nothing more.

TheFlameProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheFlameProof

God's existence and our own are different things. I think that people who don't believe in god won't say he created us, so the way you started this topic is a little off.

Yup, Descartes all the way, I think therefore i am, it's the only certainty that i have. I can be pluged to a machine that gives me all my sensorial data (i can be still, laid down yet feel my body moving, see it, etc.) and i wouldn't be able to tell it. You may all be bots, sensorial data i receive, nothing more.

watchmen89
i'm just having a hard time wrapping around the idea that thinking is a characteristic of existing.
Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#45 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts
God didn't create me. My parents did. I don't like "god" anyway.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
This thread is mind-boggling.
watchmen89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 watchmen89
Member since 2008 • 60 Posts
[QUOTE="watchmen89"]

TheFlameProof

i'm just having a hard time wrapping around the idea that thinking is a characteristic of existing.

Maybe what you call "existing" isn't the same to me. You do exist as a "thinking object" not as a person the way you see other people walking down the street. If by "existing" you're reffering to a body and a mind as a all, then you may never be able to prove your existence. Read Descartes' work, it's really good, it will also help you with the question "does god exist" ;)

rom11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rom11
Member since 2005 • 2049 Posts
Wtf... those religion topics are going worse day by day.
Boostinsane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 Boostinsane
Member since 2003 • 3425 Posts
This thread is mind-boggling.kingdre
i agree. my head hurts.
ishoturface

Forum Posts