If everyone hates mainstream music, why is it mainstream?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lukeyAUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lukeyAUS
Member since 2012 • 101 Posts

Why are all these globally hated artists still so famous?

Why is real talent getting slept on every day, while these talentless hacks reap all the glory and get all the radio time?

Why is the world so twisted, why why why why WHY?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
It wouldn't be
applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

Obviously not everyone hates them.

And you have to attribute some of their fame to marketing, but aside from that, maybe people legitimately like their music.

lukeyAUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lukeyAUS
Member since 2012 • 101 Posts

And you have to attribute some of their fame to marketing, but aside from that, maybe people legitimately like their music.

applesxc47
That cannot be.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="applesxc47"]

lukeyAUS
That cannot be.

Sure it can
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
its only the hipsters who think mainstream music is bad. ignore them
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Marketing. No serious music listener enjoys mainstream music. The people who have massive music libraries of 50-300+ gigs(Hell some people have Terabytes of music, don't know how they listen to all that.) don't like that garbage. Coldplay is about as mainstream as I get.
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

Some popular songs are really good. That's why they're popular.

Having said that, what causes the most havoc is when things get sucked into the mainstream that were legitimately better not in the mainstream. The thing that comes to mind for me is electronic music. Hitting the mainstream has messed up mainstream music and electronic music.

Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

Because "mainstream" is just what the media created and does not really exist. Probably.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

we're in a rap and pop era though it seems dubstep id dying down but yea,alot of mainstream music sucks.can't tell you how many times ive heard rockstar on the radio.

but in the end it's meh and alot of people do enjoy their music,even if they are marketing alot and just milking the fame

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
Mainstream music isn't very good, and most people don't have good taste. There's a reason the phrase "appealing to the lowest common denominator" exists.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

Everyone doesn't hate mainstream music. Just the vocal, hipster, rebels without a cause with nothing better to do then rant about how what they like is better then everyone else's preferences.

(Edit: Ironically I didn't even read the post before me until after posting but it serves as a perfect example)

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
This is only a guess, but I would be willing to bet that while a lot of people like mainstream music, the mainstream haters are just more vocal in their hatred and it gets more attention. In other words, if they like it they are content with just buying it and calling it a day while the haters feel that not buying it isn't enough and they have to go out of their way to let the whole world know how much they think it sucks.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

No serious music listener enjoys mainstream music. The people who have massive music libraries of 50-300+ gigs(Hell some people have Terabytes of music, don't know how they listen to all that.) don't like that garbage. Coldplay is about as mainstream as I get.YoshiYogurt

Coldplay is also as mainstream as music gets, period. Stop acting like a condescending prick because you aren't any better than the people you're looking down on.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#15 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

The real reason is because people are more likely to verbally complain about something they don't like than praise something they do. If everyone in the world who liked mainstream music voiced their opinions, the positive would outweigh the negative, no matter how bad the music actually is or isn't. Popularity makes music mainstream, not how good it is.

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
it is designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator people that interest themselves in music beyond that have a different take on what makes a song good
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I don't hate mainstream music. Today's is popular though because it's what the music industry tells us to listen to.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
Because everyone doesn't hate it...duh.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Because everyone doesn't hate it...duh.LJS9502_basic
You mean the internet community isn't everyone? :P

Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Colt45fool
Member since 2003 • 79297 Posts

Mainstream is a lot deeper than just who's popular and who's not. A lot of not-so-popular "indie" artists or "real" musicians are on major labels...and when you define mainstream you should probably define it as anyone on a major label.

That being said, it comes down to marketing. Record execs see certain trends forming and promote those artists. So whatever's on top 40, generally, is stuff that follows a style that sells or that has proven to sell in the past.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
only OT hates mainstream music.
bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts

Payola is one of the reasons. This is an illigal practice that has gotten out of hand. Music artist and company pay the radio stations for their airtime, which also takes away from new artist who don't have the economical prowess to compete for air time. You used to be able to go to the radio station with your music and they would play it for a certain amount of time at certain times (new feature artist hour, etc). Also the music industry is being taking over by the commercial/corporate industry. Artist are now singing about materialism, promoting products, selling out just to sell out.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"]its only the hipsters who think mainstream music is bad. ignore them

but it seriously is bad. Have you ever listened to american top 40?
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
mainstream music isn't bad, its just a bunch of internet metal nerds who go on and on about how anything but really lame metal is crap.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]No serious music listener enjoys mainstream music. The people who have massive music libraries of 50-300+ gigs(Hell some people have Terabytes of music, don't know how they listen to all that.) don't like that garbage. Coldplay is about as mainstream as I get.JML897

Coldplay is also as mainstream as music gets, period. Stop acting like a condescending prick because you aren't any better than the people you're looking down on.

I've always thought that was a stupid thing to get all high and mighty about in the first place. Someone will be like, "look at me, I like the good music." And...so? They didn't freaking make it. It's pretty pathetic to act superior for liking something that someone else did. If you want to impress someone, then how about actually doing something? Every time I see someone taking pride in themselves and judging their self-worth on the basis of what they like, I get the strong suspicion that I'm looking at a person who's lacking in actual accomplishments.
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
Marketing. No serious music listener enjoys mainstream music. The people who have massive music libraries of 50-300+ gigs(Hell some people have Terabytes of music, don't know how they listen to all that.) don't like that garbage. Coldplay is about as mainstream as I get.YoshiYogurt
This really, it's about labels, marketing and images and sometimes being culturally relevant. But I think there is a difference between mainstream music and pop (manufactured) music. Issue is pop music is over saturated and mainstream music that is decent is in the minority at the moment.
Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#27 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Exact same reason Sims does so well. Girls are all to blame.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Musical taste is subjective, also there's plenty of mainstream talent. You really going to say that Snoop Dogg is bad music? If so GTFO!

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
mainstream music isn't bad, its just a bunch of internet metal nerds who go on and on about how anything but really lame metal is crap.xTheExploited
Definitely this.

Musical taste is subjective, also there's plenty of mainstream talent. You really going to say that Snoop Dogg is bad music? If so GTFO!

Yusuke420
Snoop Lion is terrible, however.
cfstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 cfstar
Member since 2009 • 1979 Posts

Marketing. No serious music listener enjoys mainstream music. The people who have massive music libraries of 50-300+ gigs(Hell some people have Terabytes of music, don't know how they listen to all that.) don't like that garbage. Coldplay is about as mainstream as I get.YoshiYogurt

Are you serious

Also, I read before that Dream Theater was your favorite band.

You do know that Dream Theater is mainstream, right? They're the biggest progressive act in the world, Mike Portnoy leaving them was relentlessly overpublicised(I don't know if that's the correct or if that's a word, English is not my first language) by the media

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]Marketing. No serious music listener enjoys mainstream music. The people who have massive music libraries of 50-300+ gigs(Hell some people have Terabytes of music, don't know how they listen to all that.) don't like that garbage. Coldplay is about as mainstream as I get.cfstar

Are you serious

Also, I read before that Dream Theater was your favorite band.

You do know that Dream Theater is mainstream, right? They're the biggest progressive act in the world, Mike Portnoy leaving them was relentlessly overpublicised(I don't know if that's the correct or if that's a word, English is not my first language) by the media

Dream Theater is in fact my favorite band. What are you even defining as mainstream though? They would be mainstream in terms of progressive rock and metal I suppose, but do you even know anyone who actually knows Dream Theater or even what progressive music means? The majority of people have no idea about musical terms and genres.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Mainstream music can be fun. Death metal all day would scare the girls out of the club :(
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrPraline
you are now rocking with will i am and britney b*tch
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

I get the sense that people hate mainstream because everyone is enjoying it.

and sometimes people like having their own little 'thing'.

It's why when people say "what are your favorite movies/songs/games" and there is always thatone individual who posts a list of things that no one has ever heard of.

isn't that what they call being a hipster is all about?

i'm not denying that quite a few mainstream music is just garbage. but there are still about just as many equal parts of garbage, meh, and good mainstream songs i think.

but that's just me.

i'm the guy who likes movies like Frida, Be Kind Rewind, Caligula, and Transformers and super hero movies.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MrPraline
CaligulaSaudiFury
Hah, my copy of that has a fantastic label on it with BEWARE VERY EXPLICIT AND SHOCKING SCENES And that's from a Dutch dvd shop.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]CaligulaMrPraline
Hah, my copy of that has a fantastic label on it with BEWARE VERY EXPLICIT AND SHOCKING SCENES And that's from a Dutch dvd shop.

reading this brings me on another tangent. before i took a film studies elective course, i was really more or less a neophyte. Only new films or films within my lifetime, never giving much appreciation to older movies - barring some exceptions. After taking the course, i went back and watched some of the older movies, and just like today, they are hit and miss. some of it I really enjoy - whether because it's titillating and exhilarating, or intellectual and inspiring.

It seems when I listen to some of the Gamespot editors, or people like Moviebob over at Escapist, that the notion of saying "i liked this game because it was dumb fun" is like a foreign idea to them. and for me at least, if you just discount such movies/games/etc as just dumb fun worthy of little more attention (and vice versa for the opposite extreme) then your missing out on the human experience.

but that's how i view things in the mediums, and it's perhaps why i find i enjoy a lot of things in less concentrated genres.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

"Mainstream music" is just a term made up by hipsters to justify their douchey attitude towards anyone who listens to a band with more than 5 fans.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JML897

"Mainstream music" is just a term made up by hipsters

redstorm72

What

I mean there was already a lot of silly over-the-top anger towards "hipsters" in this topic but now you guys are just making things up

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts

Extremely mainstream and still good

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrPraline

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

JML897

What

I mean there was already a lot of silly over-the-top anger towards "hipsters" in this topic but now you guys are just making things up

Hah yeah, that was quite the silly statement. And if anything is a made up term, it's "hipster"
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

JML897

What

Well if you've seen his other posts on the subject in the past you know he's about as musically inclined as a deaf amputee. His argument that mainstream doesn't exist is one I've only seen from people who are afraid of their own nature. And I don't hate mainstream music, so don't throw me on your fantastical bandwagon.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

Saturos3091

What

Well if you've seen his other posts on the subject in the past you know he's about as musically inclined as a deaf amputee. His argument that mainstream doesn't exist is one I've only seen from people who are afraid of their own nature. And I don't hate mainstream music, so don't throw me on your fantastical bandwagon.

Are you sure you're not mistaking me for another user? I usually defend peoples taste in music (as long as it's not dubstep) because music is a wholely subjective artform. I hate on "hipsters" (which is just a term I use to refer to elitest music snobs) because they seem to think their taste in music is somehow surperiour to others. I don't even particularly like "mainstream" music, but there is nothing inherently wrong with it either.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Obviously it's not hated. Other wise it wouldn't have a market.

It's only the vocal minority who b!tch about it a lot. But they have a point sometimes, because pop music has become pretty terrible.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Mainstream music doesn't really annoy me. In fact, I think kids who listen to obscure rock bands that are in no way obscure and do not rock at all and complain about mainstream pop on the Internet are far more annoying.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

Why are all these globally hated artists still so famous?

Why is real talent getting slept on every day, while these talentless hacks reap all the glory and get all the radio time?

Why is the world so twisted, why why why why WHY?

lukeyAUS
Everyone doesn't hate them... it's just that the majority quietly listen while the minority loudly objects...
Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts
ppl dont share my music tastes abloo bloo bloo
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]its only the hipsters who think mainstream music is bad. ignore themBossPerson
but it seriously is bad. Have you ever listened to american top 40?

it cant be worse than australian top 40 (which is compromised mostly of american songs :P) Not saying a lot of mainstream stuff isnt garbage...but a lot is decent as well.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#48 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Except lots of people like mainstream garbage...

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
People who say "I hate mainstream music" are idiots, then they go and wear an AC/DC t-shirt and you shake your head at them. Only a small number of people hate mainstream music, like 1 in 10 max. Especially Justin Beiber, for every hater I recon there's 50 fans.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JML897

Only a small number of people hate mainstream music, like 1 in 10 max. Especially Justin Beiber, for every hater I recon there's 50 fans.JohnF111

Depends on the age. I don't really think he has that many fans who are college age or older