If conservative can't get the bible in school, why do liberals get evolution?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

megahaloman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 megahaloman64
Member since 2006 • 2532 Posts

I realize that not everyone is a christian, but not everyone is a non-christian either.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Is this a joke? Evolution is a fact.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
It's easier for everyone if non-religious schools don't teach religious material, as there's hundreds of ideas of creationism, not just adam and eve.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
If I was at a desk, my head would have made a hole in it. Evolution is not a religion. It is simple scientific fact.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Yeah, why would we teach science in school? That's just absurd.

Andy7546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Andy7546
Member since 2004 • 598 Posts
The main difference here is that evolution is based on evidence.
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

No religious material of any form has any place in a public school. Evolutionary science can be tought, as it's not a religious institution. The entire point of public schools are to be free from any religious leanings of any form, and open to all, there are private religious based schools for those who demand a religious education.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

I laugh at this idea that you must be a liberal to believe in the theory of evolution.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrPraline

I laugh at this idea that you must be a liberal to believe in the theory of evolution.

rzepak
Or non-christian for that matter.
Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

Not the same thing. Not every conservative wants to have bible in school, and there areconvervatives thatagree with evolution.

GC4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 GC4ever
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts

keep the bible in christian schools and out of public schools
seperation of church and state
public schools are run by the government and therefore should be seperated from religion

GettingTired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GettingTired
Member since 2006 • 5994 Posts
Because evolution is a well-tested scientific theory, whereas the bible is merely a personal belief?
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

Separation of church and State. This isn't like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I don't want your religion in my public school.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

Teaching of religion = bad

Teaching about religion = good.

In public schools, I mean.

megahaloman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 megahaloman64

Is this a joke? Evolution is a fact.MrPraline

I'm waiting for the not joke,

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts

Evolution is the cornerstone of modern biology, not teaching it would be a little absurd.

alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts
My college Biology class taught evolution as a fact (because it really is heavily supported) and then still included an overview of alternate view points and ways that religious people can reconcile personal faith and scientific theory. I'd say thats they way to go, but you really can't leave Evolution out of Biology any more than you can leave the constitution out of an American Governernent course.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

The theory of evolution is not connected to liberalism and neither is intelligent design (I suppose this is what you are referring to) connected to conservatism. :|

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MrPraline"]Is this a joke? Evolution is a fact.megahaloman64

I'm waiting for the not joke,

What? You cannot seriously compare the bible to evolution. One is supported by evidence, one is a book that has been edited and mistranslated for over 2000 years.
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts

789shadow
I second this. It is true that public schools have a taboo-like aversion to teaching students about the content and historical impact of the most influential book off all time.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Evolution is the cornerstone of modern biology, not teaching it would be a little absurd.

T_P_O

You act as if doctors and biologists need to know that populations adapt and change over time, like bacteria would grow to resist antibiotics or eat nylon or something. That's just silly.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PannicAtack

you really can't leave Evolution out of Biology any more than you can leave the constitution out of an American Governernent course.alphamale1989

You deserve a medal.

Avatar image for taoistextremist
taoistextremist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 taoistextremist
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Is this a joke? Evolution is a fact.MrPraline
Not necessarily a scientific fact because of its broadness as it would seem reading my book for AP Biology, though I would say it's close enough that there should be no reason it's not taught about in school. It's much more logically sound than many of the events talked about in the Bible, which have no supporting evidence.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PannicAtack
[QUOTE="789shadow"]

Acemaster27
I second this. It is true that public schools have a taboo-like aversion to teaching students about the content and historical impact of the most influential book off all time.

Yeh. I think that understanding, at least, is important for things like Literature and Art History. Teaching the creation story as scientific fact, however, is a no-no.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Teenaged

[QUOTE="T_P_O"]

metroidfood

You act as if doctors and biologists need to know that populations adapt and change over time, like bacteria would grow to resist antibiotics or eat nylon or something. That's just silly.

When one educates themselves in a field they need to know more than the basics or what is practical for them to know.

For instance when you study to become a teacher you dont only learn what is to be tought to kids, but whatever there is to know about your field in order for you to have a spherical and complete view of it and to be able to answer every question posed by someone who is uneducated in said field.

megahaloman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 megahaloman64

Separation of church and State. This isn't like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I don't want your religion in my public school.

Dark_Knight6

reeses is good, chocolate with tainted piss in it is not.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

megahaloman64

reeses is good, chocolate with tainted piss in it is not.

Are you trying to make some sort of point? Because where I'm from, that looked like a random, nonsensical thing to say.
pdevil21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pdevil21
Member since 2004 • 799 Posts

Let's take a look at H1N1 or "swine flu," the only reason it became capable of spreading from animal to human and subsequently from human to human was because of genetic mutations in the DNA code of the virus. In the case of viruses, evolution takes place rapidly, with random beneficial mutations allowing the stronger viruses to survive and produce more offspring. Simply put: if evolution wasn't real, then we would have no need to worry about viruses and the 1918 swine flu pandemic wouldn't have happened.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#31 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
Because evolutionary theory was made through a scientific process, whic is the cornerstone of school. Get facts to the students:get scietific and science bases to the school Religion and religious ideas must be taught only in temples and places where such faith is practiced..
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

Teaching is different from preaching. I went to public school some classes had us read the bible it wasn't a big deal as long as the teacher didn't preach, and it was relavant to the subject.

It's like prayer in school. My school would have a moment of silence when somebody died, as long as it wasn't called a moment of prayer everything was fine.

Personally I don't think Darwin's Theory is very plausible on the Macro-evolutionary side of things, but still it should be taught, and it's the most scientifically sound theory we have right now.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Evolution is based in hard cold facts. Even though I'm a Christian myself, there aren't many hard cold facts to support the Bible, other than those people actually exsited and they did do the stuff that the Bible said they did, but from the religious standpoint there aren't many hard facts to back it up.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
I didn't know that science had a liberal bias.
pdevil21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 pdevil21
Member since 2004 • 799 Posts

Teaching is different from preaching. I went to public school some classes had us read the bible it wasn't a big deal as long as the teacher didn't preach, and it was relavant to the subject.

It's like prayer in school. My school would have a moment of silence when somebody died, as long as it wasn't called a moment of prayer everything was fine.

Personally I don't think Darwin's Theory is very plausible on the Macro-evolutionary side of things, but still it should be taught, and it's the most scientifically sound theory we have right now.

jrhawk42

Please elaborate why you believe evolution is plausible over a short time scale, but not a long time scale. Don't you believe in time scales on the order of millions to billions of years?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Teenaged

I didn't know that science had a liberal bias.-Sun_Tzu-
Yeah tell me about it! >_>

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
Because the Constitution prevents the establishment of religion. If I'm Muslim, I don't believe in the Bible. Therefore, it's unconstitutional. /thread
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Evolution is not the platform of liberals. It's a highly regarded scientific theory. So highly regarded in fact, that even I believe in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

And conservatives are not the ones pushing the bibles in schools - that's republican wackos. There's a huge difference. A true conservative wants nothing to do with religous dogma.

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

This thread is silly. There is no argument here. You cannot compare mythology to the theory of evolution. They are entirely different concepts and come from entirely different thinking.

12345678ew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 12345678ew
Member since 2008 • 2353 Posts

anybody that honestly believes this should be shot.... i''m methodist christian, but i hate christians for the most part.... i'm only methodist because it's just about the same as the religion i thought of in my head. don't rape people, don't kill people, acknowledge god exists once or more times and your guaranteed to be let into heaven... if it exists... which i can say because god gave us free will so if he exists and gave us free will he knew the consequences and won't condemn us for eternity because of it. every religion is just a fantastic fonzie scheme.

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Because, the purpose of school is to teach facts, evolution is fact, the bible is not. End of story.
Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
I didn't know that science had a liberal bias.-Sun_Tzu-
"It's a well known fact that reality has a well known liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert
PeterPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PeterPerson
Member since 2007 • 3627 Posts

Because, the purpose of school is to teach facts, evolution is fact, the bible is not. End of story. Darth-Caedus

And that is an opinion ;)

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I didn't know that science had a liberal bias.Locke562
"It's a well known fact that reality has a well known liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert

Ah, the ever so brilliant Stephen Colbert...where would we be without his truthiness?!
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"]Because, the purpose of school is to teach facts, evolution is fact, the bible is not. End of story. PeterPerson

No its not. Even if Christianity is proven to be a fact, still what interpretation of it would be a fact? The literal or metaphorical. The literal is the one that doesnt go along with science at all. Education-wise teaching religion as fact, and not merely from the aspect of it being a religion and not something worthy to be taught as science, is problematic, because the issue is very blurry. In the end even if you did teach a literal version of Christianity as fact you would cause controversy because of people who do not take the Bible literally. What could we do then?

Additionally, like I said, even if a religion is proven to be 100% correct, still the educational interest of it is not one that pertains to science related issues but issues that are innate with religion like morality, culture and history. Not science.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MrPraline

[QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"]Because, the purpose of school is to teach facts, evolution is fact, the bible is not. End of story. PeterPerson

No, it's not.
megahaloman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 megahaloman64

XD

Anyways the point of this thread is that conservatives can't have the bible in school, even it's optional or only for christians, but liberals can have evolution taught against religious beliefs.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Teenaged

[QUOTE="PeterPerson"]

[QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"]Because, the purpose of school is to teach facts, evolution is fact, the bible is not. End of story. megahaloman64

XD

Anyways the point of this thread is that conservatives can't have the bible in school, even it's optional or only for christians, but liberals can have evolution taught against religious beliefs.

And like its been said many times, not only liberals believe that science is valid, and not only conservatives believe that intelligent design is valid. :|

I think its pretty simple. You are trying to present it as a dispute between liberalism and conservatism, while its not.

daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts

This is coming from a Christian.

If people want to learn their religion in a public school they can. I don't know about the US, but here they have classes about once a week on religion in public schools. Sure there is a lot more in religious schools, but its not like all religious material is "banned". Public schools are not a place for no religion, it is a place for people of all religious beliefs and cultural backgrounds to come and study ... no one says religion is banned :?