If an identifiable and curable biological cause for homosexuality was found...

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

...would you think it's preferable to cure it or just accept homosexuality as a part of society?

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Nah.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
If a person wanted to be 'cured', I don't see the problem.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Why do we need to cure an opinion of somebodys? Thats like brainwashing somebody to believe in a religion.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
To me, that's the same as saying, if there was a cure for being black.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

He's most likely religious.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44641 Posts
Homosexuality proponents have taken the 100% biological and natural stance as a defense against the homosexuality opponents who claim it's a choice. I think both sides have created a dichotomy that ignores that homosexuality is probably a mix of multiple influences. Plus I think that the idea of biology and personal choice ignores social influences in shaping sexuality. If it were so easy to switch your sexuality with a pill I'd probably opt for being gay as so I don't have to put up with manipulative bitches and I can find myself a likeminded manly man that shares my interests.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23048 Posts
To me, that's the same as saying, if there was a cure for being black. lonewolf604
That seems like a pretty apt analogy. And I suppose were it an alterable characteristic it should only really matter to the individual. I don't know why society at large should care.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I'm sure we could be cured of heterosexuality as well, so we can all become the superior bisexual race.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

To me, that's the same as saying, if there was a cure for being black. lonewolf604

Or left-handed. 

Chemistian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Chemistian
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts

Neither the DSM-IV nor the upcoming DSM-V quantify homosexuality as a disease, therefore defining a "cure" for it would be inaccurate.

To better answer your question: No. Defining life choices and/or biological differences as inferior in need of a cure is subjective to individual bias or predispositions, especially in relation to minority statuses.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
I'm sure we could be cured of heterosexuality as well, so we can all become the superior bisexual race.Zeviander
Why bother with sexuality? Take a pill that renders us asexual and able to rise above such base desires. Of course, we'd also have to perfect cloning at the same time to ensure that we don't accidentally kill off the human race. :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
Some people don't understand homosexuality like how much got to do with social behavior or biology. Best not to ask such questions because people feel strong about their position on this one. I don't know any homosexuals so I'll leave it at that
Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tetrarch9
Member since 2010 • 2581 Posts

[QUOTE="lonewolf604"]To me, that's the same as saying, if there was a cure for being black. LordQuorthon

Or left-handed. 

My thoughts exactly people need to get over themselves. Some people like the same sex, deal with it.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Why bother with sexuality? Take a pill that renders us asexual and able to rise above such base desires. Of course, we'd also have to perfect cloning at the same time to ensure that we don't accidentally kill off the human race. :P1PMrFister
Pfft, passion and desire are what make us human.
1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"]Why bother with sexuality? Take a pill that renders us asexual and able to rise above such base desires. Of course, we'd also have to perfect cloning at the same time to ensure that we don't accidentally kill off the human race. :PZeviander

Useless emotions that lead to wars, suffering, and terrible romantic-comedy movies. We are far better off without them, trust me.

Chemistian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Chemistian
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="1PMrFister"]Why bother with sexuality? Take a pill that renders us asexual and able to rise above such base desires. Of course, we'd also have to perfect cloning at the same time to ensure that we don't accidentally kill off the human race. :P1PMrFister

Useless emotions that lead to wars, religion, and terrible romantic-comedy movies. We are far better off without them, trust me.

Miscalculations and human error leading to war do not need passion or desire as their base point. WW1 was prosecuted largely absent emotional groundings and grew largely due to miscalculations based upon both logic and cost/benefit analyses. Vietnam could be placed in the same sphere.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
No, because the benignity of homosexuality follows from the fact that it doesn't harm anyone, not the fact that it's not a choice. Moreover, if we as a society thought that curing gay people was a good thing because of the "wrongness" of homosexuality, then we would surely reinforce other forms of oppression like patriarchal oppression and heterosexism.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"][QUOTE="Zeviander"] Pfft, passion and desire are what make us human.Chemistian
Useless emotions that lead to wars, religion, and terrible romantic-comedy movies. We are far better off without them, trust me.

Miscalculations and human error leading to war do not need passion or desire as their base point. WW1 was prosecuted largely absent emotional groundings and grew largely due to miscalculations based upon both logic and cost/benefit analyses. Vietnam could be placed in the same sphere.

thank you mr. serious

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

Leave it up to the individual, if they don't want to be gay then let them "cure" themselves; I don't think we should pump it into the water supply or something.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
That sounds painful.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

You cant cure homosexuality. Its a choice. 

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
Aint no take backs,once you commit a gay act you're gay
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#26 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

No way. We already have too many people, gay people are awesome because they don't contribute to the population problem.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostrib

slipknot0129

prove it

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

Aint no take backs,once you commit a gay act you're gay Bucked20
#TRUTH. This man gets it.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

slipknot0129
Why would someone choose to be gay in a world in which they are shunned? And don't say "rebellion" because I know several people who grew up in loving homes but still turned out gay.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 slipknot0129

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

lostrib

prove it

Much like favoring one color over another or one food over another. It is a choice but your have influences ever since you were born. 

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

lonewolf604
Why would someone choose to be gay in a world in which they are shunned? And don't say "rebellion" because I know several people who grew up in loving homes but still turned out gay.

Because curiosity can lead to becoming gay
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

slipknot0129

prove it

Much like favoring one color over another or one food over another. It is a choice but your have influences ever since you were born. 

that's not proof

Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tetrarch9
Member since 2010 • 2581 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

slipknot0129

prove it

Theres no way Homosexuality is a choice, Who looks at a women and goes. "Man this sure makes me want to suck d***"
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 slipknot0129

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

prove it

lostrib

that's not proof

The only valid proof in saying whether it is a choice or not to be gay is that all decisions were decided once the big bang happened. So everything is already set in stone. 

It is only how people perceive things. People can seperate certain things from being a choice or not a choice in their mind, but in the end it is all set in stone by the big bang. 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]Much like favoring one color over another or one food over another. It is a choice but your have influences ever since you were born. 

slipknot0129

that's not proof

The only valid proof in saying whether it is a choice or not to be gay is that all decisions were decided once the big bang happened. So everything is already set in stone. 

It is only how people perceive things. People can seperate certain things from being a choice or not a choice in their mind, but in the end it is all set in stone by the big bang. 

That is still not proof

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

Anyone instantly think of X3 reading the title?

I'd say if they have a choice in the matter, sure.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zlurodirom

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]Much like favoring one color over another or one food over another. It is a choice but your have influences ever since you were born. 

slipknot0129

that's not proof

Can you please expand on the "it is all set in stone by the big bang"? I don't think I am understanding your logic. Thank you

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lostrib

Anyone instantly think of X3 reading the title?

I'd say if they have a choice in the matter, sure.

Zlurodirom

Yeah I did, and we all know how that turned out

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

slipknot0129

that's not proof

I think determinism is kind of different subject dude.
slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 slipknot0129

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

that's not proof

Zlurodirom

Can you please expand on the "it is all set in stone by the big bang"? I don't think I am understanding your logic. Thank you

Everything that will happen is already predetermined by what happened when the big bang happened. 

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

If given a magic choice, nearly all parents would take the cure before birth to increase the probability of grandchildren. 

However, in actuality homosexuality is formed from biological, sociological/enviromental, and pschological factors and not "cureable" so easily/at all.

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

There may be a biological predisposition for it in limited cases, but I think its more family dynamics and childhood experiences for the most part. 

And no, I would not take a pill to alter sexual attraction. Is there going to be a special one for bisexuals? People with fetishes? 

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#43 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
This is a hard one, because it is a trick question. Let's say for sakes of discussion that homosexuallity could be controlled as if it were caused by a single biological thing. 1. You'd have to ask if this "biological cause for homosexuality" is a valid biological diversity or if it is something that requires to be cured, like most wisdom teeth growing just to F#ck your mouth. 1.1. If being gay was cause of a biological disorder, you'd have to ask how much of that conduct is a disorder. Let's say you are in a party, not so sober, and as highly skilled random dude starts doing you a blowjob in the dark. It should feel right, so is that proof that your biology isn't working well? 1.2 If this is a biological "disorder", you'd have to ask if it is something that MUST be cured or if the treatment is optional. Things like flat feet and harmless wisdom teeth can be something people live with with no problem whatsoever. Why should you impose a cure over that special thing? 2. Now, let's say that you are willing to change someone's sexuality. There is a very important question. How will that affect your personality and your own image? Imagine (just to prove a point) that you (straight man) magically become attracted to 40 yr old men. Like raging boner attracted. Think how much your self image would shatter by that drastic change. Would you be happy after realizing that you have changed that much by just a second? Second of all, would you like to have that change, if you are currently living a happy life in your condition?
Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zlurodirom

[QUOTE="Zlurodirom"]

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]The only valid proof in saying whether it is a choice or not to be gay is that all decisions were decided once the big bang happened. So everything is already set in stone. 

slipknot0129

Everything that will happen is already predetermined by what happened when the big bang happened. 

So I'm guessing you're not religious because most of those who believe, also believe in "freedom of choice"

I'm guessing you don't subscribe to the multiple universes hypothesis

So I'm trying to figure out why you think everything is pre-determined. Do you not believe in chance?

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 slipknot0129

There may be a biological predisposition for it in limited cases, but I think its more family dynamics and childhood experiences for the most part. 

And no, I would not take a pill to alter sexual attraction. Is there going to be a special one for bisexuals? People with fetishes? 

quadraleap

Everything you like and do is probably a biological predisposition. Curing gay would be like finding a cure to make people stop eating certain foods they like. That would be useful in the future for peoples diets. 

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 slipknot0129

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

[QUOTE="Zlurodirom"]

Zlurodirom

So I'm guessing you're not religious because most of those who believe, also believe in "freedom of choice"

I'm guessing you don't subscribe to the multiple universes hypothesis

So I'm trying to figure out why you think everything is pre-determined. Do you not believe in chance?

All I believe in is that the universe will restart over and over forever. I will relive every possible combination there is in existance. I dont believe in choices since it was all determined from the get go. 

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zlurodirom

This is a hard one, because it is a trick question. Let's say for sakes of discussion that homosexuallity could be controlled as if it were caused by a single biological thing. 1. You'd have to ask if this "biological cause for homosexuality" is a valid biological diversity or if it is something that requires to be cured, like most wisdom teeth growing just to F#ck your mouth. 1.1. If being gay was cause of a biological disorder, you'd have to ask how much of that conduct is a disorder. Let's say you are in a party, not so sober, and as highly skilled random dude starts doing you a blowjob in the dark. It should feel right, so is that proof that your biology isn't working well? 1.2 If this is a biological "disorder", you'd have to ask if it is something that MUST be cured or if the treatment is optional. Things like flat feet and harmless wisdom teeth can be something people live with with no problem whatsoever. Why should you impose a cure over that special thing? 2. Now, let's say that you are willing to change someone's sexuality. There is a very important question. How will that affect your personality and your own image? Imagine (just to prove a point) that you (straight man) magically become attracted to 40 yr old men. Like raging boner attracted. Think how much your self image would shatter by that drastic change. Would you be happy after realizing that you have changed that much by just a second? Second of all, would you like to have that change, if you are currently living a happy life in your condition?curono

If we develop a "cure" why do we need to worry about it being a biological disorder? As far as I know, wisdom teeth growing in can damage you, while being gay cant physically damage you like wisdom teeth can. Is there something I'm missing?

Is getting a bj from a man that different than getting one from a woman? I don't think it is gay if you are on the receiving end?

That last question you pose is a good one. If I was living a happy life, straight or not, I would not want to change it just because someone deemed I needed something fixed, and that something fixed would not negatively affect me in any way if I didn't change it.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Zlurodirom

All I believe in is that the universe will restart over and over forever. I will relive every possible combination there is in existance. I dont believe in choices since it was all determined from the get go. 

slipknot0129

So you believe in ressurection? How do you live every combination otherwise?

Why do you think it was all pre-determined?

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#49 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts

[QUOTE="curono"]This is a hard one, because it is a trick question. Let's say for sakes of discussion that homosexuallity could be controlled as if it were caused by a single biological thing. 1. You'd have to ask if this "biological cause for homosexuality" is a valid biological diversity or if it is something that requires to be cured, like most wisdom teeth growing just to F#ck your mouth. 1.1. If being gay was cause of a biological disorder, you'd have to ask how much of that conduct is a disorder. Let's say you are in a party, not so sober, and as highly skilled random dude starts doing you a blowjob in the dark. It should feel right, so is that proof that your biology isn't working well? 1.2 If this is a biological "disorder", you'd have to ask if it is something that MUST be cured or if the treatment is optional. Things like flat feet and harmless wisdom teeth can be something people live with with no problem whatsoever. Why should you impose a cure over that special thing? 2. Now, let's say that you are willing to change someone's sexuality. There is a very important question. How will that affect your personality and your own image? Imagine (just to prove a point) that you (straight man) magically become attracted to 40 yr old men. Like raging boner attracted. Think how much your self image would shatter by that drastic change. Would you be happy after realizing that you have changed that much by just a second? Second of all, would you like to have that change, if you are currently living a happy life in your condition?Zlurodirom

If we develop a "cure" why do we need to worry about it being a biological disorder? As far as I know, wisdom teeth growing in can damage you, while being gay cant physically damage you like wisdom teeth can. Is there something I'm missing?

Is getting a bj from a man that different than getting one from a woman? I don't think it is gay if you are on the receiving end?

That last question you pose is a good one. If I was living a happy life, straight or not, I would not want to change it just because someone deemed I needed something fixed, and that something fixed would not negatively affect me in any way if I didn't change it.

As for your first question, I can answer it with an example. Blue eyes are the "beauty norm". If we could "cure" brown eyes, why worry about it being a biological disorder? Just cure it! Of course that is wrong. If it is not a biological disorder, then acting against homosexuality wouldn't be a cure. It would be the imposition of your moral and social norm, which if taken to an invasive biological action, could very be the equivalent of a forced brainwashing. On the second comment. Having sexual contact with a man isn't gay? Being the receiver or the giver is unimportant. I repeat my question: A form of sex with a man would not be considered gay?
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

[QUOTE="quadraleap"]

slipknot0129

Everything you like and do is probably a biological predisposition. Curing gay would be like finding a cure to make people stop eating certain foods they like. That would be useful in the future for peoples diets. 

Im not sure if its me or how you phrase things but you almost seem to contradict yourself. You either are or you are not. Some people are in denial of it and live a life pretending and others come out to some degree and many shades in between. Medication for this is a pipe dream and would be a waste of time considering real problems facing the infectious world.