If a poor(homeless) person begged you for money, would you give it to them?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrduckbears3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll If a poor(homeless) person begged you for money, would you give it to them? (24 votes)

Yes. They need our support and i don't like to see anyone on the streets not eating/having shelter.. 13%
Only if i had extra change, otherwise i'll have to refuse since i don't have a lot of money as is but if i did i would 17%
Only to those that look like they need it, if it's someone who looks like they could get by but aren't doing it, No. 8%
No, but i will give them something else instead like clothes or food 29%
No, i don't believe in giving money to people that don't deserve it as it's enabling them. It's a dog eat dog world 17%
No they would just buy drugs with it so i'll donate to charity instead 17%

if a poor person just came up to you begging for money, wouldn't you do the heart filled thing and give them some? you know what they say, giving is good for the body and mind..or soul for the religious christians out there. i know i would

• 
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I have, I do and will continue to do so. Here is a story: I live at literally like 10 minutes, by car, from the college I was attending and on the first traffic light there was this homeless guy that I always something. Sometimes a quarter, sometimes a dollar. I must have given this guy something like 10 dollars over a short period of time. One day this homeless guy ask me to give him a lift to I don't remember where and when I refused (I was late for my class but even if I wasn't I was not letting him in my car) he started to insult me and belittle me. That was then end of it, whenever I passed by that traffic light (and that was his traffic light so I had to always see him) my window remained closed and no fvcks were given. And that is that.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I usually instead go buy them a meal of some kind or ask them if there is anything specific they need. After working with the homeless in Kansas City I've learned giving them money usually does more harm than good. But giving them some gloves, a coat, or even a hot meal makes sure that the aid I give them actually does some good.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I must see potential in them for me to give them anything. I see a lot of fakes around shopping centers and then I see a lot of nobody's around downtown that only use their cash for alcohol and drugs.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I am usually not a fan of giving them money, I prefer giving them food or volunteering my time to help (usually serving food in some form)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

No. But if they ask for food, I will buy/give them some. Giving them money only facilitates their substance abuse problem (if they were truly starving, they'd ask for food, not money).

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

If I have loose change, sure. That's what I usually do....

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Only if they promise to use it on booze and women.

ya gotta have some fun, yknow?

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

I have a payroll deduction set up, I donate a portion of each paycheck through United Way to a Alamo Labor Properties, an organization that provides free vocational training to impoverished young adults. That does a lot more good than just giving money to random panhandlers on the street IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

I do not know what I would do. I wish I had the power to help everyone, but that is impossible because of how the world is designed. I figure it be better if the homeless person simply lived their life the best they could and then went to the afterlife, I feel the afterlife could give them more than I could ever give them; which is why I would not know what I would do, I feel they deserve better than just any amount of money I gave them.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

I used to give homeless people money all the time, but I've stopped doing so because there's no way of knowing what they'll do with the money; they may buy drugs or booze. Instead, I'd rather direct them to homeless services. Also, by giving money directly to homeless people, you may be enabling their homelessness as some homeless people are homeless mainly because they're lazy and want to "make a living" by panhandling.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#11 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

No, because I'm a jerk. :(

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Only if they buy crack with it.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

they gotta make their time with me worth it if they want anything. comedy usually gets me.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

No. Not because I'm a heartless bastard (that's beside the point), but because I don't carry cash on me and can't exactly give someone my debit card. I'll buy them a cheap dinner or something, though.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

This happened to me an hour ago. Someone was begging for food outside of a Wendy's. I bought them food. So many people walked by and did nothing.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@tocool340 said:

If I have loose change, sure. That's what I usually do....

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

@Iszdope: Nice reference.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I give to them even if they are to put in their crack pipe.

spaceninja818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 spaceninja818
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts

Only if they look like they actually need it.

I saw this little girl standing on the side of the freeway exit. She was probably not older than 14. As I stopped the car at the exit, I pulled down the window and gave her 20 bucks.

A few days ago this drunk guy standing next to 7eleven entrance asked me for some change. I didn't give him anything. I told him to go get a job. If I could start from nothing, so can he.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Nope. I'd say that a solid 8 out of 10 times, the person looks at what I gave them and asks, "is that all?" Sucks for the few homeless people who really need help and are grateful for what they can get, but charity is sort of self-serving too. Lots of people do it because it makes them feel good. If giving people money results in insults that make me feel bad, then why do it? Sure, they'd insult me if I didn't give them money. But if I'm gonna be insulted either way, then I'd rather be insulted and keep the dollar.

Also, while I generally don't give money to homeless people, I make exeptions sometimes. What I will say is that if I give a homeless person money, then I need fairly good reason to believe that I'm never gonna see that person again. If I'm encountering that person near my home or place of work, then they aren't getting $hit. I've had way too many occurences in which I gave someone money, then they saw me again and tried to latch onto me because they knew I was willing to give them money. Then they keep asking for money, I stop giving them money, then they get pissed off. And no, I don't f*** around with that any more. I'm not giving a goddamn penny unless I believe that I'm never gonna see that person ever again.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

And I've always been a little bit confused by comments like, "I don't want to give them money, because they might spend it on booze." I occasionally buy a drink for a coworker, and in that case I KNOW that the money is going towards getting someone drunk. So...I'm fine giving money to help people get drunk, just as long as it's not a homeless person? What sense does that make? At least my coworkers have a comfy home and a job. That should be all the comfort they need. If someone in that kind of good position can still say with a straight face, "man, I need a drink", then I don't see why it's such a horrible idea that a homeless person is getting drunk. The reality is that he's probably still gonna be homeless tomorrow regardless of whether or not he drinks tonight. But tonight he IS living out in the streets, and that's gotta SUCK. So yeah, if having a drink helps him get through that a little easier, then give that man a drink. He sure as $hit needs a drink a lot more than the people who I DO buy drinks for.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

If I was under the impression that they're hungry, I'd definitely give them money no matter how little of it I may have. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night otherwise.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

This woman near a McD's was very persistently trying to sell me some candy, I didn't really want it but I gave her a bit of cash anyway instead of buying the stuff from her. She was quite appreciative and a bunch of pretty girls passed by and smiled at me, so I naturally I felt pretty good afterwards. That's about it though. I meet very few homeless people or beggars, since I live in the Malaysian equivalent of upper class suburbs.

Praisedasun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Praisedasun
Member since 2013 • 504 Posts

In my country beggars and homeless people were a rare sight,but nowadays they are very common.

On average,I see at least one beggar in the subway each day.However,I have never given a beggar any money.Not even a cent.And I always have a good amount of cash(especially coins) with me.

Moreover,we don't really know how many of these beggars really are in need.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Of course not.

I'd tell him to get the f out of my face.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

I give them any extra food I have on me but I don't give money.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Ye I usually do when they ask, only to make them get them to go away from me.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

No. But if they ask for food, I will buy/give them some. Giving them money only facilitates their substance abuse problem (if they were truly starving, they'd ask for food, not money).

Man, it's almost like money can be exchanged for food or something. Or perhaps people ask for money because people will carry around bills but don't usually carry around a sandwich.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#30  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

How about giving money to a local charity or church that feeds the homeless instead of some stranger? You don't know if the guy will buy beer or drugs with it, or if the guy is homeless at all. Give your money to an organization that helps those in need, much better spent that way. They need your help to help ALL of them.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Only to those that look like they need it, if it's someone who looks like they could get by but aren't doing it, No.

Not correct by my religious viewpoint.

"(charity is) for those in need, who, in allah's cause are restricted (from travel), and cannot move about in the land, seeking (for trade or work): the ignorant man thinks, because of their modesty, that they are free from want. thou shalt know them by their (unfailing) mark: they beg not importunately from all the sundry. and whatever of good ye give, be assured allah knoweth it well."

i'll donate to charity instead

I don't have the time and resources to look for those in real need. So yeah charity is the best option.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 foxhound_fox

@chessmaster1989 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Man, it's almost like money can be exchanged for food or something. Or perhaps people ask for money because people will carry around bills but don't usually carry around a sandwich.

How do I know they actually want food? I've given homeless people in my neighbourhood a few bucks, and 30 minutes later, see them puffing away on some cigarettes they just went and bought outside the grocery store where I gave them money.

I always ask the people who are begging for money if they want me to buy them something to eat, most flatly refuse or get defensive. I'm not sure what utopic land you live in where all the homesless people don't suffer from drug and alcohol addiction. I will not participate in the enabling of drug use.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

No I wouldn't. I bust my ass for shit pay. I wouldn't have any to give anyway but I'm not going to give them money for hanging out and doing nothing.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

How do I know they actually want food? I've given homeless people in my neighbourhood a few bucks, and 30 minutes later, see them puffing away on some cigarettes they just went and bought outside the grocery store where I gave them money.

I always ask the people who are begging for money if they want me to buy them something to eat, most flatly refuse or get defensive. I'm not sure what utopic land you live in where all the homesless people don't suffer from drug and alcohol addiction. I will not participate in the enabling of drug use.

That's nice, I can counter your anecdotes with anecdotes of my own - I've had more than one homeless person happy to accept food. Also, you're misrepresenting my views (not unexpected from you). I don't claim that no homeless people suffer from addictions, in fact many do. But what I was responding to (as you can see from the bolding) was your point was that if a person wanted food and not drugs, they would ask for food, not money. My point was this view is moronic and absurd.

You seem to have formed an overly simplistic view of reality that no doubt matches your unwillingness to give to others.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#35 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Depends on how much money you're talking about. If they ask for a dollar or less, I usually just give it to them. For amounts over a dollar, it starts depending on the circumstances.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

nope...

if I have extra drink or food I would offer it through.

if you want money, go work for it.... can't get official job? then start ringing door bells... sure you might get denied. but you might come across someone who needs something done.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts

If they arent scurry and are believably in need of money I would

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

The last time i gave money to someone like this, He said he was out of a job, and needed money for a cab ride home. So i gave him $17, then watched him climb into his truck and drive away...

Now i never give anyone money, only what they need, or point them in the direction of the Rescue Mission.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#39 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Sometimes I give sometimes I don't. Depends how I feel.

I can't say to this day anyone has ever tried to mug me, but I've been approached and asked by dodgy people, who've given me an excuse and back-story of why they need a couple of quid. Normally I would give in that case, as I consider 2 perks. 1) They may be thankful and remember it, get me on good terms with the local dodgy people, handy allies to have. 2) They won't be offended and try to mug me.

It makes a difference how close to your home it is, but generally I try to avoid confrontations if I get a feeling one's going to spark up.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Depends how I feel.

If I see the individual smoking I may say something like "You have money for cigarettes you have money for food".

I'm a softy for Vietnam Veterans as I can't imagine the type of prejudice they had to face when coming home. I gave a Vietnam Veteran who showed me his military ID $20.

I gave a guy who was straight up with me that he wanted a beer so I gave it give whatever was in my pocket (few coins).

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@Pirate700 said:

No I wouldn't. I bust my ass for shit pay. I wouldn't have any to give anyway but I'm not going to give them money for hanging out and doing nothing.

This too.

Sometimes they're just lazy.

I offered a homeless man $70 for a days work of simply loading and unloading tires, and maybe to paint a few he told me "no". I guess he's not doing to bad sense he can deny $70, which is more than what a lot of people make in a day.

Zaraxius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Zaraxius
Member since 2013 • 221 Posts

I found your YouTube account, topic creator:

Video.

Crazy coincidence. I wasn't even looking for it! But I guess your infatuation with this series (What Would You Do?) explains the frequent survey-like questions.

Thanks for posting those videos, by the way. I enjoy them.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I would.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

they usually just want cigarettes

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 foxhound_fox

@chessmaster1989 said:

My point was this view is moronic and absurd.

You seem to have formed an overly simplistic view of reality that no doubt matches your unwillingness to give to others.

That's nice. I think your view is moronic and absurd.

We should just agree to disagree then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

Nope. I would definitely give them Food or Clothing if it was dead cold winter.