I saw Sicko today, is America Really that bad?

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts

Yeah i lived in america when i was 12-16 But i dont remember much of it,well atleast not the bad part.

I had free health care because i was under 18 and i dont remember my mom being seriously sick so i didnt know the health system was that bad.

Or was that fat dude exaggerating? Also why do you hate the universal health care that Obama propossed? Is it really because you dont want to be communist?

Either way i m very glad i live in Europe now ;)

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

Im sure the fat dude exaggerates some. There are some problems with our healthcare system but I believe it works fairly well for the most part

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

It's not really a documentary on the health care system. Moore's film is a push for a nationalized service, so obviously, it's going to be skewed in that direction. He doesn't go out and interview the average person, he has specific cases that he demonstrates to make his point.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

It's a Michael Moore movie, take it more as agenda-fueled propaganda based on certain facts and numbers rather than a documentary.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#5 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

LOL @ people thinking its propaganda because they dissagree with some of the things brought up.

Sure not all of it is true, but there is a good portion of thigns brought up in this movie that people should know about.

I enjoyed the movie personally.

Just like any Moore movie or any movie like these, dont take em as 100% the truth, but with all the things brought up in these types of movies I bet a good portion is true.

Its like an actor from OZ said once "I dont trust the news so what I do is watch 4 differnt channells to hopefully get a glimpse of the truth thru all these differnt views."

Cant trust everythign Micheal Moore says, but he does bring up soem very good points in all his movies/documentarys what ever you wanna call em.

FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
It's worse. Imagine the settlement in Mad Max. It's about 5 times worse than that.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#7 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

Im sure the fat dude exaggerates some. There are some problems with our healthcare system but I believe it works fairly well for the most part

Bane_09
the fat dude? I love how you make Michael Moore sound like a character from the board game clue.
Buttons1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Buttons1990
Member since 2009 • 3167 Posts

Ehh... Most people that are employed full time have some form of medical insurance... And most people that are too old or are on welfare are automatically on medicaid/medicare...

Only a couple million people who actually work have no medical coverage... And even then... It's not as bad as people think... If you break a leg or something... It's not like you go to an emergency room and they say "nope, no money no service"... They are required by law to treat anyone regardless of whether they can pay...

Seeing a doctor for a checkup or getting tests or medicine though... Things like that are difficult as those do require money outside of the medical practices... Medicine for example... I am sure doctors would love to give it away for free... But the multi-billion dollar phamaceutical companies laying in the sun on their yaughts made of gold won't have that...

The entire system cost a lot of money... Most people say doctors are greedy, well I think they have earned the right to make $100,000+... To become a doctor you literally have to spend ~8 years of your life training... And unless you are rich, in the military, or among the top 1% who recieve all the scholarships, by the time those 8 years are up you are hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt... So doctors have well earned what they are asking for...

And the equipment... A GE CT Scan machine might not seem like a big deal... But that hospital probably paid several million dollars for just one of them... And they have several...

Not to mention the plethora of other things...

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
The film isn't exactly balanced but it is largely true.
TheArGaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheArGaia
Member since 2011 • 629 Posts

It's a Michael Moore movie, take it more as agenda-fueled propaganda based on certain facts and numbers rather than a documentary.

MAILER_DAEMON
Propaganda? He might play with some of the facts, but you can't call this propaganda.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

Of course that is how America is. Movie's never exaggerate anything.

BTW I have never seen Sicko.

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

Allicrombie

the fat dude? I love how you make Michael Moore sound like a character from the board game clue.

It helps maintain an unbiased opinion on political matters if you think of people like Michael Moore as board game pieces :P

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Yes. It's not like he's pushing a political agenda.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]

TheArGaia
Propaganda? He might play with some of the facts, but you can't call this propaganda.

He's not out to tell things like they are, he's selectively picking things to play up whatever point or agenda he has while playing to people's emotions. Therefore, propaganda.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

Yes. It's not like he's pushing a political agenda.

coolbeans90

While we're on the subject of Micheal Moore, why does he make you pay for his movie that bashes capitalism?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts
since his movie had an agenda to push he was ( obviously ) highlighting the worst aspects of the system and ignoring the best.
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

Never seen the movie but yes it is pretty bad here. If you don't have employer provided health care for one reason or another you are basically out of luck if you have even minor conditions. A person in their 50s who loses their job is in major trouble because even if they're somehow perfectly healthy their premiums will be sky high. It's a "system" that provides nothing for a substantial portion of the population.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MAILER_DAEMON

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

Allicrombie

Not that I like linking YTMND that much, but right now it's it seems quite appropriate. :P

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts
[QUOTE="TheArGaia"][QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]

MAILER_DAEMON

He's not out to tell things like they are, he's selectively picking things to play up whatever point or agenda he has while playing to people's emotions. Therefore, propaganda.

most definitely agreeing with you. Now if only he were a Republican he could get his own show on Fox. :P
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
It's a Michael Moore movie, take it more as agenda-fueled propaganda based on certain facts and numbers rather than a documentary.MAILER_DAEMON
Yes. Michael Moore isn't really an honest guy. Sometimes he makes certain points that are actually accurate or decent, but he ruins them with all of the sensationalist garbage he puts on top. Everything he presents is incredibly biased. You have to take everything he presents with a grain of salt. Honestly you should do your own research before taking everything he says and applying it and acting all smug.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="Serraph105"][QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="TheArGaia"] Propaganda? He might play with some of the facts, but you can't call this propaganda.

most definitely agreeing with you. Now if only he were a Republican he could get his own show on Fox. :P

:lol: For once we're in agreement on something! Though he probably wouldn't last long on there anyway, since he'd plagiarize everything and put them on his website, as though it were part of his own network or something. :o
Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#22 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

It is quite bad. America is the only developed country in the world where people go BANKRUPT paying for Health Care. I have insurance even then I had to pay for thousands upon thousands of dollars in medical bills becuase insurance doesn't covem everything.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Michael Moore is the Glenn Beck of being right.

KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KSU-Wildcat
Member since 2008 • 859 Posts

It's simple, really. People who work hard get healthcare. A lot of Americans are against Universal Healthcare for a number of reasons. Lack of competition/innovation, and refusing to pay for Joe Schmoe's lazy butt are just a couple. Taking competition away from the equation means a lower standard, period. This is true for just about anything. For example, if there was just one video game console, by law, what incentive would they have to strive to better their games, machines, etc.? None. Another reason hinted at earlier why Americans are against it is refusing to pay for someone else. A decent example would be a full time college student having to work his way through school. How is it fair for that student to go to school and work everyday and work his butt off, just to have a chunk of his funds removed so a lazy person who doesn't work can take advantage of a system?

I was raised in a way that didn't make me feel entitled to anything. You have to work for what you get. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though, and our system is by NO MEANS perfect, just like everyone elses. It's important to look at things from multiple perspectives. Conservatives (and America, really) get bashed on here to no end, but taking Michael Moore's word without question is just moronic. His views are as Left as you can get.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#25 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I can't stand the sort of documentaries that Moore makes, so I never watched it.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

It's simple, really. People who work hard get healthcare. A lot of Americans are against Universal Healthcare for a number of reasons. Lack of competition/innovation, and refusing to pay for Joe Schmoe's lazy butt are just a couple. Taking competition away from the equation means a lower standard, period. This is true for just about anything. For example, if there was just one video game console, by law, what incentive would they have to strive to better their games, machines, etc.? None. Another reason hinted at earlier why Americans are against it is refusing to pay for someone else. A decent example would be a full time college student having to work his way through school. How is it fair for that student to go to school and work everyday and work his butt off, just to have a chunk of his funds removed so a lazy person who doesn't work can take advantage of a system?

I was raised in a way that didn't make me feel entitled to anything. You have to work for what you get. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though, and our system is by NO MEANS perfect, just like everyone elses. It's important to look at things from multiple perspectives. Conservatives (and America, really) get bashed on here to no end, but taking Michael Moore's word without question is just moronic. His views are as Left as you can get.

KSU-Wildcat

Some people work hard and don't get healthcare.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

It's worse. Imagine the settlement in Mad Max. It's about 5 times worse than that.FragStains

... How dare you insult Barter Town!

Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts

Micheal moore is a lightweight version of Alex jones.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

KSU-Wildcat

You also forgot universal healthcare would cover youtube idiots too. :P

Should my money go to paying to get skin back on a person that slid on a slip n slide full of burning gasoline to go viral video.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

Should my money go to paying to get skin back on a person that slid on a slip n slide full of burning gasoline to go viral video.

dercoo

I don't think doctors should even have to treat those people. I think we should ammend the Hippocratic Oath to make it ethical for doctors to let stupid people die from self-inflicted wounds.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
[QUOTE="dercoo"]

Well, to be fair, your money is going towards that person's treatment regardless. The only way it isn't is if that person pays the full cost of the care out-of-pocket. And how many people do that?
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

KSU-Wildcat

Many jobs don't provide health coverage. Do you believe that we should have a system where people have to compete for jobs that give them access to health care? As in, no matter what, some people won't have covereage no matter how hard they try, because it's a competitive system?

I personally know recent college grads who have no coverage because their jobs do not provide it. There just aren't enough good jobs to go around right now. Should these people just go find a hole to bury themselves in?

KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KSU-Wildcat

[QUOTE="KSU-Wildcat"]

superfluidity

Many jobs don't provide health coverage. Do you believe that we should have a system where people have to compete for jobs that give them access to health care? As in, no matter what, some people won't have covereage no matter how hard they try, because it's a competitive system?

I personally know recent college grads who have no coverage because their jobs do not provide it. There just aren't enough good jobs to go around right now. Should these people just go find a hole to bury themselves in?

Of course many jobs don't offer healthcare benefits and, being a senior, I know many recent grads in the same boat. You must have missed the part where I said that our system is by "NO MEANS perfect [emphasis already in the quote]." Sort of like the whole, "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others," type of thing. There is so much work to be done. At the same time, people travel to the United States every year to get the healthcare they need but couldn't get in their own country, due to waitlists or a number of other variables. I could just as easily say that is just as big a fault. Should people who need "x" sit around for months waiting for it, and then eventually MAYBE get it in lesser way than what might have been improved by the benfits of competition? Again... all of these systems are far from perfect.

KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KSU-Wildcat

Also, am I the only one who realized the massive irony of an obese man making a documentary on how to be healthy?

Edit: Hemaroids beat me ^^^

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
[QUOTE="KSU-Wildcat"]

Also, am I the only one who realized the massive irony of an obese man making a documentary on how to be healthy?

Edit: Hemaroids beat me ^^^

It seemed to me to be about the economics and politics of our health care system - not a documentary on "how to be healthy".
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Play Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas. That's basically what America is like.

Also when someone loses a limb or gets sick we give them stimpaks for a healthy fee of Coca-Cola bottlecaps.

EDIT: "There's no agenda there, just facts." Yeah, look where that thinking got us. Just accept that it's there - then choose to agree or disagree with it. The most important step is accepting it. If you can't recognize opinions, bias, or personal agendas inside of speeches, arguments, news, etc. then you probably shouldn't be voting to begin with. No better than the people who idolize Beck... /minirant

no_more_fayth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 no_more_fayth
Member since 2010 • 11928 Posts

inb4 many Oters saying watching Michael Moore documentaries are like watching Cannibal Holocaust as a documentary... it seems I'm too late.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]

TheArGaia

I don't think that propaganda is required to be false.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#41 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Compared to the standards we have in Norway it seems brutal and very expensive.
ferrari_102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ferrari_102
Member since 2009 • 629 Posts

Every country has it's flaws. I really hate how everyone wants to put America down. This country offers more benefits than most countries. Obviously we are flawed but overall the US is pretty damn good (we have the best burgers) loll

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
I don't think you can call it propaganda. As far as I am aware, most of his facts are true. Of course he's giving more screen time to the people who prove his point, the film is meant to make a point. The parts where he uses subjective wording, you take with a grain of salt as always.
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
A movie exaggerating?? I would never.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
Like all Michael Moore films, you'll find that he purposely edit scenes to make the people he's interviewing less credible, and while he loves using statistics to prove his arguments, they're very selective. Most important of all though, the fact he has made millions from his movies and has kept the money for himself, is a fundamental contradiction to what he preaches. He is a capitalist at heart. I say this as a centre-left person who would support the Democratic Party in the USA. Don't get me wrong though, I like Moore and his films. They are a way of scrutinising and holding the government to account, which is very important to do. Can't wait to see Sicko. Just have to be careful at what he says.
Avatar image for taterfrickintot
taterfrickintot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 taterfrickintot
Member since 2008 • 2851 Posts

this guy fills in what moore left out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6ZH1ps20WA

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

While our healthcare system isn't perfect, it's far better than that movie describes.

What's really killing us is the government constantly bending it's will to the insurance agencies.

PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

Much of the health care issue in my eyes is not how it's deployed but why are we so sick and dependent on it. The average American eats very badly and too much, getting very little real exercise, so it's no wonder we are in such a decrepit state of health. We take drugs to remedy the issue which probably just makes it worse, or keeps us sick, much like the food we buy most often is just pure junk, made to keep us addicted. There is a reason why so many people call health care "sick care" because it's not fixing anything, it just keeps us at a nominal state of perpetual illness that isn't so much that it can keep us from working, but it's enough for us to continually search for cures or remedies. I seriously believe that. The pharmaceutical companies are not out there to treat your illness completely.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

I'm completely floored that anyone would take Moore seriously in 2011. Gotta love a documentary maker who, when caught in a lie then passes himself off as a satarist. Then again, Moore fabricated his past in order to authenticate his phony blue collar creds so that pretty much tells you all you need to know about him.