I know CRT TV's will make a comeback in the future!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ilovecassettes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 ilovecassettes
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I know that analog CRT TV's will make a comeback in the future for classic gaming, VHS, and DVD use.. I have two 27" Sony Trinitron tube TV's in excellent working condition. One of these TV' s is being used around one hour per day most of the time. I play my Atari 2600, watch videos I made from my Sony standard definition camcorder on DVD, and make DVD slideshows from pictures I have taken with my Olympus DSLR. I also down convert my videos from my camcorder to my VCR VHS tapes. My other TV is not being use at this time. I am saving it just in case the TV I am using now goes out and beyond repair. I like retro video games, VHS, DVD, and see CRT TV's come back to the production line in the future. I will not switch from a tube TV to any modern flat panel technologies at all. I like old technologies a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

ok

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

What a pointless thing to do, going back to shitty tech like this. I hope you realize that CRT's are never coming back. I do love some retro games but man, I can't even force myself to consider a return to 90 pound 27" tv's, blech.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

Eh I'm more or less for any innovation in technology that means we wind up using less resources not only for practical reasons like easier lifting, but also because the world has a limited amount of resources.

It's the practical reasons like weight and being able to better see the screen that makes me think you are wrong about CRT television sets.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

I still have that Sony Trinitron 27" myself in good shape, not using it tho but sometimes oneday maybe... I play my PS2 and DVD player movies on my LCD instead, better quality pics, thin and light, overall... the idea of tube TVs coming back no just no.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Or you could just play with emulators or download the app of that game, since games are heading into a DRM-only market.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#7 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

The problem is... it will break. And then you're screwed. I have no plans to buy consoles from this generation, but eventually my 360 will pop its clogs and there won't be any available to buy.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

as someone who is addicted to how VHS pictures looked, i very much hope your prophecy comes true.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@ilovecassettes said:

I know that analog CRT TV's will make a comeback in the future for classic gaming, VHS, and DVD use.. I have two 27" Sony Trinitron tube TV's in excellent working condition. One of these TV' s is being used around one hour per day most of the time. I play my Atari 2600, watch videos I made from my Sony standard definition camcorder on DVD, and make DVD slideshows from pictures I have taken with my Olympus DSLR. I also down convert my videos from my camcorder to my VCR VHS tapes. My other TV is not being use at this time. I am saving it just in case the TV I am using now goes out and beyond repair. I like retro video games, VHS, DVD, and see CRT TV's come back to the production line in the future. I will not switch from a tube TV to any modern flat panel technologies at all. I like old technologies a lot.

To a certain extent you have a point. I have an lacie elektron 22 blue III which gives the best quality image of all my screens and I have an ips monitor.

The problem with these things are space and weight. The beast weighs 60 pounds and takes up a lot of room. I still have it though.

If I could get a big widescreen and I would have the room and the furniture to support this behemoth I would certainly consider it. The monitor I have now also supports higher resolutions than 1080p.

So yeah people who laugh with you are actually wrong, however, you say you play old games on it, yeah that maybe be nice buy my blue lacie plays modern games better as wel.

I don't understand your love for vhs and old tv tubes though. maybe for older games and movies, but for todays tech i prefer hd discs and hdtvs. The crt monitor is something different here, because they support higher resolutions as well, like i said the only problem there is space and weight.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

You can always use different softwares to mimic the look of a crt tv. Like sweetfx for instance. I use it and I agree often times it gives the games a new vibe.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

crt tv's are too bulky

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sukraj

@Iszdope said:

I'm typing from the future.

No, just no.

have u been watching back to the future bruv.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Yeah, maybe after the apocalypse CRT TV's will make a comeback,

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

Unlike fashion, technology is not cyclical.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sukraj

@Iszdope said:

@sukraj said:

@Iszdope said:

I'm typing from the future.

No, just no.

have u been watching back to the future bruv.

No, I'm really in the future man (Australia).

cool

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

CRT tv was good in its day but things have moved along since so why continue to live in the past.

I remember many years ago we had a 33" 4:3 tv and it was so big it took up an entire corner of the room it was in, it must have been about 3ft deep and weighed just over a 100lb so once in place it stayed there.

I have no desire to go back to that situation thank you very much!!

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

It does seem like the tube tv's last longer than the flatscreens, but I think flatscreens are cheaper. I don't think the tube tvs will come back on a large-scale, maybe a niche market, because they are heavier and take up more space, plus they have more glare. On the plus side I think tube tvs are easier to clean since it's just glass. I do like the way the tube tv's look, and when I picture riots in my mind I picture folks stealing tube tvs, not flat screens.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

@whipassmt said:

It does seem like the tube tv's last longer than the flatscreens, but I think flatscreens are cheaper. I don't think the tube tvs will come back on a large-scale, maybe a niche market, because they are heavier and take up more space, plus they have more glare. On the plus side I think tube tvs are easier to clean since it's just glass. I do like the way the tube tv's look, and when I picture riots in my mind I picture folks stealing tube tvs, not flat screens.

I dont think they will return, even for a niche market the production costs just wouldnt be worth it for a small segement of the market like that when compared to current flat screens.

Personally i have no problem with that, i currently have a sammy d8000 plasma which im holding onto until OLED becomes affordable for us mere mortals hopefully in the next 5 years.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#21 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Those old things that make the atrocious static noise and weigh a ton? Yeah, I doubt that will be making a comeback.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

So will Betamax I tell you!

The weight of the CRT television alone will keep it extinct. 60" televisions these days weigh 50-70 lbs. A CRT of the equivalent size weighed upwards of 400-500 lbs (my uncle had a Mitsubishi CRT projection television back in the early 1990's of that size range and it took 4 guys to bring it down to his basement).

Television manufacturers will sooner introduce an analog signal module (that somehow displays RF signals natively) than go back to the bulky CRT design.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23  Edited By whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@l34052 said:

@whipassmt said:

I dont think they will return, even for a niche market the production costs just wouldnt be worth it for a small segement of the market like that when compared to current flat screens.

Personally i have no problem with that, i currently have a sammy d8000 plasma which im holding onto until OLED becomes affordable for us mere mortals hopefully in the next 5 years.

Yeah. I didn't think of that. They probably would be expensive to produce.

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts

I have a Daewoo flatscreen CRT TV DTQ-14U5SC, and it's been in my room since over 10 years ago.

This pic is very small, I know.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

CRTs only had one appealing feature: degause

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

you know old school gaming looks better on an HDTV right? All you have to do is go to the tv settings and set it to 4:3 ratio so it won't look all stretched out.

fail thread.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

CRTs only had one appealing feature: degause

Enjoy:

Loading Video...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#28  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

The only reason you might want a CRT is to play retro games, or old videos (sub-HD interlaced DVD's, VHS tapes, Betamax tapes). These media were originally designed around the CRT's scanlines and phosphor luminescence/smoothing effects, which modern HDTV's lack, hence a lot of retro games and videos end up looking pixelated on HDTV's. If you don't have any retro stuff to play though, then there's no point to a CRT.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@foxhound_fox: Nice. Now I can get rid of my old monitor

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

In the 80s, we(my family and relatives) were getting about 8 to 10 years out of various crts, they would usually lose their color. During the 90s, the electronic boards would last maybe 5 years. The last crt tv my grand parents owned, died in 2010, it had a 12 year life.

My parents bought their first plasma in 2004, died three years later during a move. I've owned a sanyo lcd since 2007, still going strong. We are probably averaging five years on lcds, which is close to the failure rate we were getting towards the end of the crt run.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#31 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Sometimes i wish trolls would actually try and not just make it as obvious as TS.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I need to find me a nice CRT TV. I am about to buy a Playstation 1 and need one for it.

Avatar image for StokeMeAClipper
StokeMeAClipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StokeMeAClipper
Member since 2013 • 291 Posts

I don't think CRT's will ever become mainstream again. However, the community of people into retro gaming and arcade enthusiasts (people that build their own cabinets) would possibly be large enough to make a limited production run worthwhile. For this to work though it would require communication with the potential customers, and as far as I'm aware TV manufacturers aren't known for posting on forums to gather feedback from potential customers.

I think it is more likely that TV manufacturers will try to refine current technology and other companies will make niche scaling technology. So basically a continuation of the story so far. I for one own a (second hand) DVDO scaler for playing my PS2 and original XBOX. Anything earlier than that I use emulators for as it is too much hassle going the hardware route when it comes to retro gaming (sourcing good condition controllers, cartridges/discs, consoles and other hardware). I wish there was more of an effort to preserve gaming history from the industry itself, but it is a business to them. I for one am greatful that people dedicate themselves to making old games playable such as the emulator communties and companies like GOG.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

that's not too weird.

i still love my dlp projector since it has a better picture for watching movies.

all the theaters are still dlp projectors and movies are literally made for that specific format.

i hope i will be able to still get one when my current one breaks but dlp projection televisions are getting pretty rare out there already.