I just lost all faith in humanity tonight.

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WillisTron1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WillisTron1
Member since 2012 • 71 Posts

This is probably bugging me more than it should, but here's what happened. 

I'm a college student (a senior at UNT) and I got off of a particularly long day of work and school and went to a bar to have a drink at around 1:30. Before I left, a homeless guy asked me if I could drive him to Denny's, about 15 minutes away. Not trying to make myself appear like Jesus, but I do like to help people when I can so I offered to help him out. I drove him all the way up there, and on the way he told me about how his jaw was swollen and that no hospital would help him. He also told me that before Obama was in office, he would be able to visit a clinic and get some help but since then he hasn't been able to. Can't vouce for that myself, but never the less, I listened and  agreed with him that America's health care system is extremely flawed. 

We get to Denny's, and he asks if I could buy him food so I do. He continues to talk about his troubles at homeless shelters and what-not, and I sympathize with him and try to talk about ways he could get his life around. He then asks me "give me one could reason I shouldn't cut my throat with this knife right now", and I tell him things can always get better, while promptly taking the knife out of his hand and putting it on the seat next to me. I even offer to help him find a job with a homeless program at my school, and at best he seemed indifferent about it. At the end of the night, he asks if he could spend the night at my house, to which I say "sorry, but I can't have you stay at my place". Call me rude, but with the things he talked about, I'd prefer him not know where I lived. 

He then goes crazy, saying "you f*cked up, you're pulling a NlGGER move here, you really messed up." I didn't even know what to say... he made his way away from my car, and continued to say "that's a NlGGER move". As he walked away, all I could think to say is "that's extemely racist", and then he went back into the Denny's with his giant backpack. 

I don't know why, but the whole situation got me so upset I started to shake... I know it sucks to be homeless, but I couldn't believe what I just went through. I don't even know what upset me, I still can't put it into words but I feel like I just lost all faith in humanity. It's 4:00 am, and I still can't put into words why I'm so upset. Don't even know what kind of discussion I'm looking for, I just really wanted to share this with anyone... all my friends are asleep, and I really just wanted to tell someone. Thanks for reading. 

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Your first mistake was letting him into your car. Just be thankful you're not dead in a ditch somewhere.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
You should've ignored him from the start.
nightcall14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 nightcall14
Member since 2007 • 607 Posts
Your first mistake was letting him into your car. Just be thankful you're not dead in a ditch somewhere.PernicioEnigma
I agree with Pernicio. Besides I would never let anyone I don't personally know sleep in my house.
WillisTron1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WillisTron1

Your first mistake was letting him into your car. Just be thankful you're not dead in a ditch somewhere.PernicioEnigma
Yea I know, obviously the smart thing to do would be to NOT let a stranger into your car, but I suppose that's a flaw of mine, I really do find solace in helping people, even when it's probably not the wisest choice.

WillisTron1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WillisTron1
And that does make me feel better when you put it that way, I'm generally a pretty happy person just to be alive... I just get disappointed sometimes I guess when people are so hateful and awful. At least I can say I've learned never to give a homeless person a ride again.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Homeless people tend to be homeless for a variety of reasons, mental instability being one of them.

Don't let a homeless person into your car.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
So you lose all faith in humanity due to one homeless person who's very likely mentally ill? Makes. Perfect. Sense.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

There is nothing worse then picking someone up with the hopes of having sex and then it not happening :(

WillisTron1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WillisTron1

So you lose all faith in humanity due to one homeless person who's very likely mentally ill? Makes. Perfect. Sense.drinkerofjuice
No, there's more to it than that, all year I've been doing nice things for friends and family, and my own brother practically called me worthless after I helped him out a great deal, some friends have been a$$holes, this was more of the straw that broke the camel's back type situation.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Dude might have not been right in the head. Don't let it get to you.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
You just wasted your 25 minutes for nothing.. sorry for the homeless, but his life his problems.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I have had similar experiences with homeless people. Some of them almost come off as having two personalities: friendly when you are helping them but act as if you have personally attacked them if you do not do everything they want. When trying to help people who are homeless you have to use a lot of discernment.

You have to know what to do in order to keep safe, you have to know how to help in a way that actually helps them and encourages them without enabling them to stay homeless, and you have to not let yourself become overwhelmed when they seem to almost reject actual help. Some simply need some encouragement before they begin to live more productive lives. Others are homeless by choice and have no desire to live any other way.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I've given the guys with cardboard signs some money but that's about it.

I wouldn't drive him to Denny's and buy them food or anything. Even though it was kind of you, I've heard stories like if you let him stay in your house, he might steal all your things you never know.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

I wouldn't give it too much thought. You did even offer to set him up with a program to help in finding a job (something he probably never would've gone through with anyway, given his reaction). And of course, being a complete stranger, you had absolutely no reason to allow him into your home. Not quite sure what he was expecting...

And as has been said, people can end up homeless for a number of different reasons. But some will just refuse to help themselves. Not much you can do about it.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
should have american psycho'd that bum.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
That was a pretty cool thing what you did, few do that anymore and more people doing that are needed. Homeless people are in many cases mentally ill or they just harbor too much resentment so don't let that discourage you from being a good guy like you seem to be.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

Homeless people tend to be homeless for a variety of reasons, mental instability being one of them.

SPYDER0416

This.

Why lose faith in humanity because of a person who humanity already lost faith in?

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

it's a good thing that you like helping the others out, however your approach to the idea was so wrong. you must be aware of what pressure,stress and poverty can do a man's mind.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
Why would you let a homeless man you don't know in your car? Risky move.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44723 Posts
could I get a ride to Denny's, and one of those awesome Grand Slamwich thingies, gratis?
Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

no good deed goes unpunished. 

It sucks, but there is a reason why people try to mind their own business.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

There is nothing worse then picking someone up with the hopes of having sex and then it not happening :(

tenaka2

ba wah??

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I never had any faith in humanity to begin with.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

yeah, like others have said it probably wasn't wise to let the man into your car. It could have potentially become dangerous (him having a knife at his disposal certainly doesn't help). 

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#30 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

SPYDER0416

This is the truth.

There are cases where a person literally just falls on hard times and gets screwed, but in most cases there is a reason those people are where they are.

bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts

Sounds like this homeless dude has a mental condition. You did good by going above and beyound for this guy and I'm sure the universe will reward you for that in due time. Don't let this bum you out (no pun intented), just learn from it, but don't start thinking every homeless person is going to be acting the same way.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

I could have told you homeless people have a high percentage of mental illness combined with being highly armed (something sharp) due to the fact they carry their worldly possessions with them.

Buy them food and give it to them in a box never give them money and certainly never give them rides places.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

You're a nice guy, he's a crazy guy. No need for you to feel bad. Worrying for your own safety is most definitely not selfish.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

you give homeless people money, buy them food, heck throw them a blanket if it's cold out. Don't let them into your car.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
should have american psycho'd that bum.xTheExploited
Should of fed him a stray cat.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts
humanity should be represented by more than just 1 homeless bum on the street.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#37 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I have had similar experiences with homeless people. Some of them almost come off as having two personalities: friendly when you are helping them but act as if you have personally attacked them if you do not do everything they want. mindstorm

This is very true.

I've had so many annoying experiences with the homeless (tho nothing like the TC, no fvcking way I would let a homeless person into my car) that I tend to try to avoid them now (although I do still give them a bit of change occasionally). For some reason, some of them seem to feel really entitled to your money. When I was younger, I was going with my mom to cash her paycheck. In front of the bank (or wherever she chased the check), this lady asked her for some money. My Mom gave her a dollar or something like that and then the lady points to my Mom's paycheck and says, "Give me some of that!"

Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

I would've told him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqDYcCDOTg

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

wtf are you picking up homeless people for? Id say your lucky he didn't try to kill you. There's usually a pretty good reason for why they are homeless. Now im not saying you cant try to help people but there are better ways than picking up random homeless people. You could go volunteer at a shelter perhaps?

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Jack-Burton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jack-Burton
Member since 2013 • 2435 Posts
Thats why I always have Wang with me to kick troublesome bum's in the face. Should of just thrown him a few dollars.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="drinkerofjuice"]So you lose all faith in humanity due to one homeless person who's very likely mentally ill? Makes. Perfect. Sense.WillisTron1

No, there's more to it than that, all year I've been doing nice things for friends and family, and my own brother practically called me worthless after I helped him out a great deal, some friends have been a$$holes, this was more of the straw that broke the camel's back type situation.

For starters, be careful not to help people out too much. I'm not saying to NEVER help people. But going overboard with generosity doesn't make people feel more grateful, it makes them feel less grateful.
Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zurrur
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

Most homeless people are mentally ill, better just act like they don't exists if you see one

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#44 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

People lose their faith in humanity far too easily. They also regain their faith in humanity far too easily.

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
Well I think you'll be delighted to know that humanity extends far beyond a homeless man with a mental illness.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Most homeless people are mentally ill, better just act like they don't exists if you see one

Zurrur
Yeah from drug and alcohol abuse they are the number 1 cause of homelessness
Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#47 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
Did more than I would do, maybe I've just regained some faith in humanity.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
You should've ignored him from the start.Lonelynight
/thread
Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

I glanced over the post at first and thought you said he tried to slit your throat, so I had to re-read it. Yeah, be glad you didn't pick up a person that would kill you.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I remember when I had an interaction with a homeless man back in 8th grade on some week-long Washington D.C trip. Me and some friends were at some mall at a food court. Some homless guy walked up so us and asked for money (for food I'd guess), everybody else justy kinda walked away, leaving me behind. he asked again, and I just slowly and awkwardly back away and caught up with my friends. Was certainly an unpleasant experience.

I felt very bad afterwards but at the same time was young and didn't really know how to handle the situation and just followed suit with my partners. That plus I didn't have much money left as it was.