I just can't find a reason to believe in God.

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MetalDogGear
Member since 2013 • 825 Posts

I've been thinking long and hard about this.

I don't believe in God, but I want to see if there is a reason to believe in him.

Everything I've come up with has been shot down.

So maybe someone here with a profound perspective could enlighten me.

Avatar image for completeslasher
completeslasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 completeslasher
Member since 2013 • 85 Posts

then don't, even religious ones have doubts at times, all i will add is destiny is fixed and god wan't change a thing, except in rare cases,

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

You don't need a reason, that's why it's called faith.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MetalDogGear

Aljosa23
There has to be something more than faith though. Something deeper and more important.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Why do you want to believe in a god?
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I think the biggest reason to believe in god is.....

[spoiler] Happyness. If it makes you happy, then consider it, alot of people draw alot from it [/spoiler]

if not, then meh.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
Then don't bother. Just live life as it is now. I know someone in church who is over weight and depressed, and she has convinced herself that "god has made me this way" and that she is meant to be an aunt (she takes care of her brother's children).
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

MetalDogGear
There has to be something more than faith though. Something deeper and more important.

Nope, that's it. It may make you feel better to delude yourself, but that's all it is.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MetalDogGear
Why do you want to believe in a god?ghoklebutter
I'm just trying to find a reason why someone would believe in him. I like to broaden my perspective
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Inconsistancy

Nope, that's it. It may make you feel better to delude yourself, but that's all it is.

I guess you're right.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Cool blog.
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

I don't believe in God, but I want to see if there is a reason to believe in him.

MetalDogGear

God isn't "him".

It's higher consciense(w/e),a big energy mass of oversouls.

WE are god,in a way.

Everything is.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MetalDogGear

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

GreekGameManiac

God isn't "him".

WE are god,in a way.

Everything is.

I see you're getting your Pantheism on.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]Why do you want to believe in a god?MetalDogGear
I'm just trying to find a reason why someone would believe in him. I like to broaden my perspective

Well, divine causation is a nice explanation for the things that happen in this world. At least for some people. And the majority of those people are the ones who believe in gods.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
Can you conceive of a whole. %100 of something?
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GreekGameManiac

I see you're getting your Pantheism on.MetalDogGear

Lol.

God can't be "him".

It's everything,in a way.

Read this.

http://www.salrachele.com/webarticles/dimensionsanddensities.htm

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

[QUOTE="ghoklebutter"]Why do you want to believe in a god?MetalDogGear

People believe for many reasons. Some because they are told to. Others because god simply makes sense to them. And others because they are afraid of not believing.

Not all reasons are equal or "valid," but they're reasons nonetheless. I'm not the best person to answer the question because I personally don't believe in god. I'd suggest asking someone you know who believes why they do; as long as you do it respectfully, I can't imagine that they wouldn't be happy to help.

Edit- I realize that with my answers someone could question whether some of those reasons actually constitute "belief." That's kind of what I was getting with the "Not all reasons are equal" part. I was just suggesting possibly answers I've heard over the years.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MetalDogGear
Can you conceive of a whole. %100 of something?lo_Pine
Of course I can. I can conceive of a greater being than God. And I can also conceive of the number 6 Which is 100% of it's entirety
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lo_Pine
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"]Can you conceive of a whole. %100 of something?MetalDogGear
Of course I can. I can conceive of a greater being than God. And I can also conceive of the number 6 Which is 100% of it's entirety

Well, God is the entirety of everything you can conceive of. If you can conceive of a being greater than God, you are just conceiving a derivative of God. God goes even beyond that point where you think you can conceive of a being greater than that.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"]Can you conceive of a whole. %100 of something?lo_Pine

Well, God is the entirety of everything you can conceive of. If you can conceive of a being greater than God, you are just conceiving a derivative of God. God goes even beyond that point where you think you can conceive of a being greater than that.

What definition of God are you going by? In Greek Mythology, Zeus is the entirety of the Sky and Lightning. And there are other Gods that represent other parts of nature.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lo_Pine
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] Of course I can. I can conceive of a greater being than God. And I can also conceive of the number 6 Which is 100% of it's entirety

What definition of God are you going by? In Greek Mythology, Zeus is the entirety of the Sky and Lightning. And there are other Gods that represent other parts of nature.

Not Greek mythology. Just the idea of one, single God. Nothing can transcend him/her (a single God is gender less). Nothing can transcend God simply because God is transcendence. God is the action of transcendence and as well as transcendent. Arising from the definition of a single God. A single God, by definition, is perfect. Perfect being: omniscience, omnipotent and omnipresent.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GreekGameManiac

Not Greek mythology. Just the idea of one, single God. Nothing can transcend him/her (a single God is gender less). Nothing can transcend God simply because God is transcendence. God is the action of transcendence and as well as transcendent. Arising from the definition of a single God. A single God, by definition, is perfect. Perfect being: omniscience, omnipotent and omnipresent.lo_Pine

In a sense,you're right.

jngbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jngbb
Member since 2004 • 1593 Posts
Whatever makes you happy, that's what you go with.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"] Well, God is the entirety of everything you can conceive of. If you can conceive of a being greater than God, you are just conceiving a derivative of God. God goes even beyond that point where you think you can conceive of a being greater than that.

Not Greek mythology. Just the idea of one, single God. Nothing can transcend him/her (a single God is gender less). Nothing can transcend God simply because God is transcendence. God is the action of transcendence and as well as transcendent. Arising from the definition of a single God. A single God, by definition, is perfect. Perfect being: omniscience, omnipotent and omnipresent.

Well I see where you're coming from. Your viewpoint is equally valid. But that doesn't mean that it is demonstrable or conclusive
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lo_Pine

[QUOTE="lo_Pine"] Not Greek mythology. Just the idea of one, single God. Nothing can transcend him/her (a single God is gender less). Nothing can transcend God simply because God is transcendence. God is the action of transcendence and as well as transcendent. Arising from the definition of a single God. A single God, by definition, is perfect. Perfect being: omniscience, omnipotent and omnipresent.GreekGameManiac

In a sense,you're right.

Yay :D
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Okay then?
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
The problem with people who assosiate themself with "commercial atheism" is... they want people to listen to their whining.....
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MetalDogGear
Believe in God needs absolutely no reason at all. You either do or do not. If you have a reason, that is likely a materialistic motivation, and there is no reason why God should care about your materialistic motivations.magicalclick
(1) I don't want to work for a living. (2) I don't want to pay taxes. (3) I can get gullible fundamentalists to send me money. (4) I can use religious exemption claims to tie the IRS up in court. (5) The IRS can't send me to prison. (6) Therefore, God exists.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#31 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

GreekGameManiac

God isn't "him".

WE are god,in a way.

Everything is.

stop establishing your poor metaphysics concepts as fact and calling ignorants to those who dont believe it, seriously.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lo_Pine
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="lo_Pine"][QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] What definition of God are you going by? In Greek Mythology, Zeus is the entirety of the Sky and Lightning. And there are other Gods that represent other parts of nature.

Well I see where you're coming from. Your viewpoint is equally valid. But that doesn't mean that it is demonstrable or conclusive

I agree. It cannot be demonstrated. Maybe it cannot be demonstrated because God transcendent of everything we can conceive. Or maybe it cannot be demonstrated because its sort of an "Occams razor" principle. Because it is too hard to prove God doesn't exist, maybe impossible, that means God does not exist. Then again, a transcendent being is one that by definition, transcends human comprehension, so it would make sense to not be able to prove its existence. Its similar to a tesseract. We can conceive of one, even picture it (even then, what we pocture is 2 dimensional) but no one will ever know what it truly looks like. It is physically impossible to know in your mind what a 4 dimensional cube really looks like. Similar to the idea of a single God.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GreekGameManiac

stop establishing your poor metaphysics concepts as fact and calling ignorants to those who dont believe it, seriously.lightleggy

Lol,says the guy who thinks he's always right.

I'm sorry,i don't take manners lessons from you.

If you think i'm arrogant,look in the mirror,kthxbai.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Just stfu and submit to Allah already.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MetalDogGear

Just stfu and submit to Allah already.

Obviously_Right
We all submit to the almighty Dallah
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] stop establishing your poor metaphysics concepts as fact and calling ignorants to those who dont believe it, seriously.GreekGameManiac

I dont think im always right, I just dont like how you go around throwing stuff that you have no proof about, and expect people to believe on it, and when they dont, you call them ignorants, then when they ask you for proof, you just keep saying "you are an ignorant" and refuse to provide any evidence or anything. Look at the chi ball thread, everyone told you to film yourself doing a ball if it was so easy, and you just kept on saying the same thing "I posted instructions, its easy, try it", over and over, even when people said "Im probably just failing at it, upload your vid if its so easy" and you just answered again with "I posted instructions, try it". you are just aguy who likes to throw all the stuff he has heard of and then when confronted, just gets in a really petty defensive mode and dodge any questions made.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] stop establishing your poor metaphysics concepts as fact and calling ignorants to those who dont believe it, seriously.lightleggy

I dont think im always right, I just dont like how you go around throwing stuff that you have no proof about, and expect people to believe on it, and when they dont, you call them ignorants, then when they ask you for proof, you just keep saying "you are an ignorant" and refuse to provide any evidence or anything. Look at the chi ball thread, everyone told you to film yourself doing a ball if it was so easy, and you just kept on saying the same thing "I posted instructions, its easy, try it", over and over, even when people said "Im probably just failing at it, upload your vid if its so easy" and you just answered again with "I posted instructions, try it". you are just aguy who likes to throw all the stuff he has heard of and then when confronted, just gets in a really petty defensive mode and dodge any questions made.

Oh...this is the Chi ball guy? Damn I forgot about that thread. Hahahaha, dude has some mental issues
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GreekGameManiac

Oh...this is the Chi ball guy? Damn I forgot about that thread. Hahahaha, dude has some mental issuesMetalDogGear

The feeling is mutual.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MetalDogGear

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"]

The feeling is mutual.

GreekGameManiac

Hey man, don't poison the well on me. That Chi-ball thread was way outta line bro.[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lightleggy
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] Hey man, don't poison the well on me. That Chi-ball thread was way outta line bro.

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"] Oh...this is the Chi ball guy? Damn I forgot about that thread. Hahahaha, dude has some mental issuesGreekGameManiac

The feeling is mutual.

The guy also made a thread (a few months ago) about how he believed in magick (not magic) and then again proceeded to call ignorant to anyone who said it was bs, and when asked for proof, he just said "you are an ignorant". and this is how this guy works, when asked for proof he just dodges, and when people post proofs against what he says, he leaves.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

The feeling is mutual.

lightleggy

The guy also made a thread (a few months ago) about how he believed in magick (not magic) and then again proceeded to call ignorant to anyone who said it was bs, and when asked for proof, he just said "you are an ignorant". and this is how this guy works, when asked for proof he just dodges, and when people post proofs against what he says, he leaves.

He's got some explaining to do then. Big time
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GreekGameManiac

The guy also made a thread (a few months ago) about how he believed in magick (not magic) and then again proceeded to call ignorant to anyone who said it was bs, and when asked for proof, he just said "you are an ignorant". and this is how this guy works, when asked for proof he just dodges, and when people post proofs against what he says, he leaves.lightleggy

Lol?

There's no such thing as "proof" that says things like spirits,higher dimensions,and other stuff doesn't exist.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

Look at everything around you and ask yourself how does it work. Why do we need air to breathe, food to survive, sunlight, sleep etc. Someone or something Intellegent had to create this intricate universe that we live in.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GreekGameManiac

Look at everything around you and ask yourself how does it work. Why do we need air to breathe, food to survive, sunlight, sleep etc. Someone or something Intellegent had to create this intricate universe that we live in.

-Renegade

They are ignorants,man.

Maybe they don't even have a soul,and thats why they can't understand a higher connection with things.

Avatar image for completeslasher
completeslasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 completeslasher
Member since 2013 • 85 Posts

-Renegade

done deal and seal, well said, science cannot even understand this basicness, even if it was a random blast in creation of this universe there is nothing random about life itself. nor is anything random about nature. Just look at sun, sun is but a GOD.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
You don't need to believe in a god if that's the conclusion you have reached. Guess it depends on how much you have thought about it. Personally am content with my nonbelief You should get an avatar and sig, ggm.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="dave123321"]You don't need to believe in a god if that's the conclusion you have reached. Guess it depends on how much you have thought about it. Personally am content with my nonbelief You should get an avatar and sig, ggm.

Who is GGM?
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
Good for you. I can't find a good reason either. But there really wasn't a need to make a topic out of it...
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GreekGameManiac

You don't need to believe in a god if that's the conclusion you have reached. Guess it depends on how much you have thought about it. Personally am content with my nonbelief You should get an avatar and sig, ggm.dave123321

Read:

I've TRIED,i couldn't.

tinypic would just butcher it.

I may get one these days.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

-Renegade

Our universe started very simply, big poof (no bang, no sound) particles come out super hot. Initially it is so hot that gravity cannot pull the matter back into the center, and it expands to become too large for gravity to communicate that the gasses are attached to each other and should be collapsing to the center, instead they collapse into smaller gaseous blobs as they cooled. Then the first stars form, around them, more gas and more stars; the first galaxies. 

Those new stars are mostly huge, they are first hydrogen then they burn (combine via fusion) it 'til they're hydrogen, burn that to carbon and that to iron. These huge stars then, not able to fuse iron, either collapse in and bounce off their cores, as gravity fails to overcome matter, or collapse through their cores into infinity becoming a black hole. The ones that just rebound produce a super nova with all of their innards spilling out into space, and the super nova combing the iron to make all of the heavier elements. The process starts again, but this time with the heavier elements. These resulting nebulae form the rocky planets (there were probably gas giants in the very early universe, but certainly no rocky planets), and on one of them, once in a while, that's just far enough away and not too far, you find a primordial earth-like planet.

On one of these (Earth) chemicals form the building blocks of life, they come together, able to replicate, and we have proto-life. From those, increasing in complexity, eventually life forms and competition begins; evolution is born. From the first single cell, then multi-cellular life then to plants, fungi, and animals. The plants liberate oxygen from carbon dioxide with photosynthesis, the animals eat the plants and breath their waste product oxygen. We eat the animals and the plants.

Why do we sleep? Not 100% sure, but computers sometimes require to be restarted, to retain peak performance and to access OS-blocked portions of their hardware/software. I'd say we're likely imperfect, as the computers and their programs are, and have to sort of restart to get back up to full capacity and/or maybe cut down on stimuli while our brains finish processing the preceding day. Not only that, but it's more efficient. We can hardly see at night, so there's no reason to be wasting the energy trying to be alert and finding food.

----

It doesn't take a genius (or even basic intelligence) to throw energy|matter into a void and for ^ to happen, just have to figure out how exactly we got something from nothing(nothing isn't w/o mass/volume); why physics is physics.