I don't think art is necessary.

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

im_really_rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 im_really_rich
Member since 2008 • 1371 Posts

I have always had to deal with my own cenundrum.

I am a very good drawer and very artistic and creative and original and charasmatic and powerfuland everything that a good artist is.

Yet, I have always kind of hated my gift because I always felt like it wasn't good for anything, like my gift could only lead to a luxary, but not a necessity.

I always explained to people tha I thought art was useless and they said "no it's not, people need to feel human" and I always disagreed with them and wanted my talent to be something like science where I thought it was useful and beneficial.

To me, art wasn't necessary, because it's not really 'necessary' to have a painting hanging on a wall. A painting never treated cancer or built a bridge.

I always felt guilty for being good at something that I thought was useless, too easy.

However, it's not that I was wrong or that the people that disagreed with me were wrong, we were both right in our own way, which led me to this conclusion:

"Art as a painting or a sculpture isn't necessary, but EMOTIONAL STIMULATION is."

Music has always been so important to me, because it soothed my head and caressed my demons and I emotionally connected to it so strongly.

It's that EMOTIONAL CONNECTION that good art conveys that is necessary for a person, not necessarily the art itself. It doesn't have to be a painting to be 'art,' it can be music, a book, a poem, a drawing or painting, an idea, SOMETHING that causes the person to make a sincere connection, causes them to 'awe' in its beauty.

So now I don't feel guilty for being a good artist, because someday I hope to sincerely inspire or have someone take refuge in the power of MY work, like I have done in the music of my favorite bands, that wereable tocause that 'STIR'within me.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
Of course it's not required for us to live, it just makes life better. And there's nothing wrong with that.
Mr47fitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mr47fitter
Member since 2007 • 2273 Posts

Without artistic expression, practical things loose their importance as well because the quality of life declines.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Technically, unless you're a farmer, what you do isn't really necessary.
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
Wow. Way to toot your own horn with that second line. Yeesh. >_>
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts

Yet, I have always kind of hated my gift because I always felt like it wasn't good for anything, like my gift could only lead to a luxary, but not a necessity.

im_really_rich

So?

Everything but food and water is a luxury if you think about it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with luxury.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
I wanted to be an art teacher for most of my life. I now want to be a pastor and thus I now want to teach with art instead of teaching art. I'm not an audible learner and have very little interest in music. The visual arts on the other hand I can relate and learn from to a much greater extent. Indeed art cannot cure cancer, but art can inspire a person to cure cancer. Art is not only a form of emotional connection but can be a form of conviction in a person's heart. To say that art is not necessary in some respects might be true, but life without beauty is a lifeless life.
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 22Toothpicks
[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"]Wow. Way to toot your own horn with that second line. Yeesh. >_>DJ_Lae
I'd go a bit farther and say that sentence reeks of self-fellatio.

:lol: Awesome.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Somehow, this makes me think of the movie Equilibrium....
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Hey, at least you're good at SOMETHING. Some people just plain can't do ANYTHING right.

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
I don't think you are necessary.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Art builds nations, builds states, builds ideologies, builds science, builds bridges, builds intellect, builds culture.... I could go on for hours. Art is an essential expression in society.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I will say with no personal doubt that art is the essence of human life. It's natural imo, as natural is the search for beauty.

Think of it that way:

In greek art is tehni (τεχνη): tehni means "something that is born/created (by humans)". Thus every human creation that has specific principles and recognisable form is art. We create art every day imo.

As of what some people call "true art", I say that this is what makes life full, but I am not eager to live a non-full life without art by far.

And think if this: can you live without music, can you live without observation of beautiful things.

Some people will say that the primitive people had no serious art and they were just fine. Why would our evolvement make art a necessity?

Back then beauty was given by nature itself. Nature "gave birth/created", nature was art itself. And besides people were drawing in caves. This is the first genuine form of art. That's why I think that art could be characterised as the creative capability of humans, and this I believe to be inherent to us. :)

im_really_rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 im_really_rich

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"][QUOTE="22Toothpicks"]Wow. Way to toot your own horn with that second line. Yeesh. >_>22Toothpicks
I'd go a bit farther and say that sentence reeks of self-fellatio.

It's true. You haven't even seen my art.

I'm not going to pretend to be humble, I'm going to be honest about myself and ADMIT that I am very good.

I have the courage to admit the truth, and I don't care if I seem "pompous" or "conceited" because of it, because I know it's true and the truth is the truth.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 22Toothpicks

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"][QUOTE="DJ_Lae"] I'd go a bit farther and say that sentence reeks of self-fellatio.im_really_rich

I'm not going to pretend to be humble, I'm going to be honest about myself and ADMIT that I am very good.

I have the courage to admit the truth, and I don't care if I seem "pompous" or "conceited" because of it, because I know it's true and the truth is the truth.

Then how about posting a sample of your genius? Edit: And you being a "good" artist is completely subjective. But we'll see.
im_really_rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 im_really_rich

I will say with no personal doubt that art is the essence of human life. It's natural imo, as natural is the search for beauty.

Think of it that way:

In greek art is tehni (τεχνη): tehni means "something that is born/created (by humans)". Thus every human creation that has specific principles and recognisable form is art. We create art every day imo.

As of what some people call "true art", I say that this is what makes life full, but I am not eager to live a non-full life without art by far.

And think if this: can you live without music, can you live without observation of beautiful things.

Some people will say that the primitive people had no serious art and they were just fine. Why would our evolvement make art a necessity?

Back then beauty was given by nature itself. Nature "gave birth/created", nature was art itself. And besides people were drawing in caves. This is the first genuine form of art. That's why I think that art could be characterised as the creative capability of humans, and this I believe to be inherent to us. :)

Teenaged

It's not just that prehistoric peoples were painting in caves, but they could very well be drawing on a chunk of wood in their village, "notebook paper" to them.

The cave paintings were hidden from the ravages of weather and the humans and that's how they survived for so long. But these cave paintings would be considered the 'epics' of their times.

In reality, many prehistoric people probably drew on anywhere, sketching, what we would call "doodling," people doodle in math class everyday and it should be no different for the prehistoric people that there was plenty of doodling, small little drawings that surely wouldn't survive. Prehistoric people doodled as much as any other person in the world today.

It's just that the cave paintings would have the nature of being the "very ambitious community project," because it was much more laborious to do a cave-painting than a simple doodle and these cave paintings would be to them like the Eifel Tower or the Statue of Liberty is to us.

Make sense?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Without art and expression, science would be completely pointless, as we'd be continually discovering new ways to lengthen joyless, pointless lives.
starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Well, its a good thing that the American educational system agrees with you.

Art, music, drama, etc. have all taken a cut in funds while investment in sporting events has shockingly risen.

Art is an emotional, creative, sometimes spiritual thing that impacts people around the world and communicates the thoughts and feelings of the original creator.

To say that we don't need it to live is a little absurd. If you want to look at it this way, throw your computer out the window, you don't need it to live.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

Think of it that way:

im_really_rich

It's not just that prehistoric peoples were painting in caves, but they could very well be drawing on a chunk of wood in their village, "notebook paper" to them.

The cave paintings were hidden from the ravages of weather and the humans and that's how they survived for so long. But these cave paintings would be considered the 'epics' of their times.

In reality, many prehistoric people probably drew on anywhere, sketching, what we would call "doodling," people doodle in math class everyday and it should be no different for the prehistoric people that there was plenty of doodling, small little drawings that surely wouldn't survive. Prehistoric people doodled as much as any other person in the world today.

It's just that the cave paintings would have the nature of being the "very ambitious community project," because it was much more laborious to do a cave-painting than a simple doodle and these cave paintings would be to them like the Eifel Tower or the Statue of Liberty is to us.

Make sense?

It makes sense. As human perception and humans themselves evolve, so does art and everything they do. If we believe that art is indeed inherent, then it is bound to progress as humans progress.

The above is nonsense in case I didn't get your point there. :P Clarify if I am wrong.

I just found something interesting here. It says that the word art is related (from what I understood) to the greek word "artios" which means complete, right.

carstairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 carstairs
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
The arts are an excellent means of expression and should be appreciated. I enjoy making images in GIMP or Inkscape, and I listen to a lot of music. True, it's not necessary, but it's enjoyable :).
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
It's not really art if its necassary....
Avatar image for CrazyKilljoy117
CrazyKilljoy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 CrazyKilljoy117
Member since 2006 • 1073 Posts

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"]Wow. Way to toot your own horn with that second line. Yeesh. >_>DJ_Lae

I'd go a bit farther and say that sentence reeks of auto-fellatio.

So is that good or bad? :?

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#25 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Society would be an empty void without art.

DeathHeart95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 DeathHeart95
Member since 2008 • 2541 Posts
No, music is essential to me. I would go insane without my MP3s.
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

I think you are selling art a little short. If it wasn't for good art, lems and cowswouldn't know if their system was any good or not.

Art is also very strong in communication, and communication can very important and influential in life. Be it in marketing or making an effective film, good art can be responsible for generating much revenue for companies, and people having jobs does the most good for everyone IMO.

If you love art, I wouldn't abandon it because of what you are thinking. Good art can play a very positive influential role in someones life.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#28 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

I always explained to people tha I thought art was useless and they said "no it's not, people need to feel human" and I always disagreed with them and wanted my talent to be something like science where I thought it was useful and beneficial.

im_really_rich

Leonardo Da Vinchi used his art as an inspiration for his inventions. Art and science can be mixed to create useful things.

mixmax5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mixmax5
Member since 2006 • 2347 Posts

Without art life would be very dull.

Avatar image for modestkraut1291
modestkraut1291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 modestkraut1291
Member since 2009 • 763 Posts

Everything is art. Look at a cloud. Without art you would live in purgatory, a void.

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thepwninator

Everything is art. Look at a cloud. Without art you would live in purgatory, a void.

modestkraut1291
Art is an inherently human creation. As a result, a cloud is not "art". It is beautiful, yes, but not "art".
alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts
There is more to life than just staying alive. Personally I get immense pleasure from appreciating things like art and natural beauty, without it my life would be bland.
Avatar image for modestkraut1291
modestkraut1291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 modestkraut1291
Member since 2009 • 763 Posts

[QUOTE="modestkraut1291"]

thepwninator

Art is an inherently human creation. As a result, a cloud is not "art". It is beautiful, yes, but not "art".

Sounds like a statement from C3PO. Art is humans recreating the things they see in the world so without beautiful clouds there would be no art.

im_really_rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 im_really_rich

[QUOTE="im_really_rich"]

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"] :lol: Awesome.22Toothpicks

Then how about posting a sample of your genius? Edit: And you being a "good" artist is completely subjective. But we'll see.

mmmnvb

mmmnvb 2

mmmnvb 3

mmmnvb 4

The last one is a self-portrait.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Well, its a good thing that the American educational system agrees with you.

Art, music, drama, etc. have all taken a cut in funds while investment in sporting events has shockingly risen.

Art is an emotional, creative, sometimes spiritual thing that impacts people around the world and communicates the thoughts and feelings of the original creator.

To say that we don't need it to live is a little absurd. If you want to look at it this way, throw your computer out the window, you don't need it to live.

starfox15

I wonder if they realize those who pursue art while doing their regular curriculum usually do better in school. But no, lets give money to the more entertaining thing

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DJ_Lae

mmmnvb

im_really_rich
Cobwebs?
im_really_rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 im_really_rich

[QUOTE="im_really_rich"]

DJ_Lae

Cobwebs?

Abstract expression.

I just make it up as I go, make it up from my mind.

0Tyler0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 0Tyler0
Member since 2008 • 2602 Posts

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"][QUOTE="im_really_rich"]

im_really_rich

mmmnvb

mmmnvb 2

mmmnvb 3

mmmnvb 4

The last one is a self-portrait.

1. Hair 2. Hair 3. Hair 4. 50 cent

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="im_really_rich"]

mmmnvb

DJ_Lae

Cobwebs?

Looks more like hair to me.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DJ_Lae

Looks more like hair to me.

MrGeezer

Maybe it's an amalgam of both, depicting the effort people spend on their hair in order to attract andsnare members of the opposite sex.

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thepwninator

[QUOTE="thepwninator"][QUOTE="modestkraut1291"]

modestkraut1291

Sounds like a statement from C3PO. Art is humans recreating the things they see in the world so without beautiful clouds there would be no art.

Sounds like an ad hominem attack. Art is humans bringing many parts together to create a coherent whole designed to have some sort of meaning. The speeches of Demosthenes are art, but they are not representations of something found in nature. The Phaedrus by Plato is art, but it is not a representation of anything found in nature. A cloud cannot be art because it does not have a mind behind it, and, therefore, is a semi-random event. It lacks meaning.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#43 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
People like the TC scare me. Art is necessary. Every human being needs to express themselves in some way. Without art there isn't much inspiration or change that can come.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
I've always felt like art is one of the most endearing things about humanity - it's an expression of desire for truth and/or beauty. I think that for some, art is the only beautiful thing in their lives.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
[QUOTE="modestkraut1291"]

[QUOTE="thepwninator"] Art is an inherently human creation. As a result, a cloud is not "art". It is beautiful, yes, but not "art".thepwninator

Sounds like an ad hominem attack. Art is humans bringing many parts together to create a coherent whole designed to have some sort of meaning. The speeches of Demosthenes are art, but they are not representations of something found in nature. The Phaedrus by Plato is art, but it is not a representation of anything found in nature. A cloud cannot be art because it does not have a mind behind it, and, therefore, is a semi-random event. It lacks meaning.

I agree with your over-all thesis (art is inherently human), but your last statement can bear scrutiny. Some might consider Jackson Pollack's paintings to be "a semi-random event," but many consider it art.
KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 KOTORkicker
Member since 2007 • 4595 Posts

Without artistic expression, practical things loose their importance as well because the quality of life declines.

Mr47fitter
He makes the point I was going to, only in a better way. What you're saying is like saying that maths and science is just as unnecessary as art.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
Of course it's not required for us to live, it just makes life better. And there's nothing wrong with that.Engrish_Major
This...though I see where you're coming from, TC.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thepwninator

[QUOTE="thepwninator"][QUOTE="modestkraut1291"]

PannicAtack

I agree with your over-all thesis (art is inherently human), but your last statement can bear scrutiny. Some might consider Jackson Pollack's paintings to be "a semi-random event," but many consider it art.

They are art because, even though they are random, they are still directed by human thought and conceived by human thought. Weather is neither.

im_really_rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 im_really_rich

I am not against art, some of you are getting the wrong impression.

What I meant is that a piece of art itself does not prove to be a necessity, but the beauty and emotion that the art work brings is.

swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#50 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

Maybe my opinion on this is a bit skewed because my Grandfather was an art lover, My Dad is an artist, and I want to be a Digital Artist.

But Art is very neccesary.

Without art you have minimal expression.

Art helps define a culture.

And for people with conditions such as aspergers, art is a good thing (from my own experience).