I don't get Americans

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Stumpt25
Member since 2006 • 1482 Posts

They always go on about 'freedom', and how they are more 'free' than any other country in the world.

But some freedoms are so unimportant to most people's lives that it really isn't a massive statement. For example, in America, you have the right to carry a gun. In the UK, gun laws are much stricter.

Yeah, we don't get to go around shooting animals and tresspassers and stuff. But big deal. We aren't going to get shot by a random mugger, we aren't going to get massacred in school.

Freedom is great, but some freedoms risk safety and it's more important to find a balance between freedom and security.

For example, the freedom of speech is great. You can shout ANYTHING you want at or about someone. Your words are not going to directly harm them.

discuss.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
We have our limits, but it isn't just about guns. And it would be disturbing the peace if we just randomly yelled for no reason.
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
I agree, they should stop boasting about freedom... they often act as if every other country is in shackles and are slaves. Breaking news America: everybody is free, if "we are free" is the only bullet point on your box then things can't be going too well.
airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 airg6
Member since 2006 • 4390 Posts
We have our limits, but it isn't just about guns. And it would be disturbing the peace if we just randomly yelled for no reason.CRS98

They always go on about 'freedom', and how they are more 'free' than any other country in the world.

But some freedoms are so unimportant to most people's lives that it really isn't a massive statement. For example, in America, you have the right to carry a gun. In the UK, gun laws are much stricter.

Yeah, we don't get to go around shooting animals and tresspassers and stuff. But big deal. We aren't going to get shot by a random mugger, we aren't going to get massacred in school.

Freedom is great, but some freedoms risk safety and it's more important to find a balance between freedom and security.

For example, the freedom of speech is great. You can shout ANYTHING you want at or about someone. Your words are not going to directly harm them.

discuss.

Stumpt25
Yeah, We dont get you either.
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Good for you.

We live here because we like the way it is here.

If you don't want that go somewhere else.

mfacek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 mfacek
Member since 2006 • 3000 Posts

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin.

The_Mac_Daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Mac_Daddy
Member since 2008 • 2401 Posts
The American entrepreneuer is more free. Businesses are more free. Many more people in America can move up classes.. It's relatively hard to move up classes in Europe, I believe. We have the freedoms to remove those from office that we do not like. It happened in California before Arnold was the gov. They voted to remove the gov., and they did it. The "freedom" that we have here means anybody from anywhere in the world can come here and make something of themselves.
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -TheSecondSign-

The American entrepreneuer is more free. Businesses are more free. Many more people in America can move up classes.. It's relatively hard to move up classes in Europe, I believe. We have the freedoms to remove those from office that we do not like. It happened in California before Arnold was the gov. They voted to remove the gov., and they did it. The "freedom" that we have here means anybody from anywhere in the world can come here and make something of themselves.The_Mac_Daddy

And I like my guns.

Just thought I'd add to the conversation.

I really like my guns, and no one here is going to take them from me so they can feel safe.

mfacek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mfacek

I agree, they should stop boasting about freedom... they often act as if every other country is in shackles and are slaves. Breaking news America: everybody is free, if "we are free" is the only bullet point on your box then things can't be going too well.Brainkiller05

Breaking news: Not everyone is free. Ever hear of Saudi Arabia, Iran, China, or North Korea? You're free, I'm free, but to claim everyone in the world enjoys the freedoms we do is idiotic.

Stoned_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Stoned_gamer
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Its a big deal because when the constitution was written "freedom" was just an imagination in most countries. You do realize that Bush didn't win the popular vote in America right? Ever since him the American name and what it stands for has been soiled.
Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Stumpt25

The American entrepreneuer is more free. Businesses are more free. Many more people in America can move up classes.. It's relatively hard to move up classes in Europe, I believe. We have the freedoms to remove those from office that we do not like. It happened in California before Arnold was the gov. They voted to remove the gov., and they did it. The "freedom" that we have here means anybody from anywhere in the world can come here and make something of themselves.The_Mac_Daddy

Do you have any evidence to substanciate your claim that it's 'easier' to move up classes if you live in America. or even, that it's 'hard' to in Europe. And regardless, how is that 'freedom'?

You said that 'anyone can come here and make something of themselves'. Have you actually seen the number of immigrants in the UK and around Europe? They all come here to 'make something of themselves'.

I'm sorry, but you just threw out a whole lot of comments with nothing to support them with.

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts

[QUOTE="Brainkiller05"]I agree, they should stop boasting about freedom... they often act as if every other country is in shackles and are slaves. Breaking news America: everybody is free, if "we are free" is the only bullet point on your box then things can't be going too well.mfacek

Breaking news: Not everyone is free. Ever hear of Saudi Arabia, Iran, China, or North Korea? You're free, I'm free, but to claim everyone in the world enjoys the freedoms we do is idiotic.

lol, just name a bunch of LEDC and compare America to them, like I said... if "we are free" is your only selling point then things can't be too good.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
I'm not sure, when people talk about freedom, that they are really talking about the right to bear arms. That's a small part of it.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

[QUOTE="Brainkiller05"]I agree, they should stop boasting about freedom... they often act as if every other country is in shackles and are slaves. Breaking news America: everybody is free, if "we are free" is the only bullet point on your box then things can't be going too well.mfacek

Thats just 4 countries out of 200 plus.

-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -TheSecondSign-

Its a big deal because when the constitution was written "freedom" was just an imagination in most countries. You do realize that Bush didn't win the popular vote in America right? Ever since him the American name and what it stands for has been soiled. Stoned_gamer

Even though I am a diehard conservative, I agree with this.

The current election system is balls.

The_Mac_Daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Mac_Daddy
Member since 2008 • 2401 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Mac_Daddy"]The American entrepreneuer is more free. Businesses are more free. Many more people in America can move up classes.. It's relatively hard to move up classes in Europe, I believe. We have the freedoms to remove those from office that we do not like. It happened in California before Arnold was the gov. They voted to remove the gov., and they did it. The "freedom" that we have here means anybody from anywhere in the world can come here and make something of themselves.Stumpt25

Do you have any evidence to substanciate your claim that it's 'easier' to move up classes if you live in America. or even, that it's 'hard' to in Europe. And regardless, how is that 'freedom'?

You said that 'anyone can come here and make something of themselves'. Have you actually seen the number of immigrants in the UK and around Europe? They all come here to 'make something of themselves'.

I'm sorry, but you just threw out a whole lot of comments with nothing to support them with.

Hold on, let me dig up some support.

Oh, and America has TONS of immmigrants. And it's not just the amount of them, it's the opportunities they are presented with here that they probably would not have in other places..

stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts
Let us Americans live our lives while you live yours. It's strange that I never see Americans post threads on how they "don't get" other countries.
Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05133/504149.stm

"Despite the widespread belief that the U.S. remains a more mobile society than Europe, economists and sociologists say that in recent decades the typical child starting out in poverty in continental Europe (or in Canada) has had a better chance at prosperity. Miles Corak, an economist for Canada's national statistical agency who edited a recent Cambridge University Press book on mobility in Europe and North America, tweaked dozens of studies of the U.S., Canada and European countries to make them comparable. "The U.S. and Britain appear to stand out as the least mobile societies among the rich countries studied," he finds. France and Germany are somewhat more mobile than the U.S.; Canada and the Nordic countries are much more so."

airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 airg6

[QUOTE="The_Mac_Daddy"]The American entrepreneuer is more free. Businesses are more free. Many more people in America can move up classes.. It's relatively hard to move up classes in Europe, I believe. We have the freedoms to remove those from office that we do not like. It happened in California before Arnold was the gov. They voted to remove the gov., and they did it. The "freedom" that we have here means anybody from anywhere in the world can come here and make something of themselves.Stumpt25

Why do you think so many immigrants are coming to America?
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
[QUOTE="mfacek"]

[QUOTE="Brainkiller05"]I agree, they should stop boasting about freedom... they often act as if every other country is in shackles and are slaves. Breaking news America: everybody is free, if "we are free" is the only bullet point on your box then things can't be going too well.loco145

Thats just 3 countries out of 200 plus.

The majority of countries in Africa, South America, the Middle East, Southeast Asia aren't what I'd consider free countries either. There are a few exceptions in those regions.
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -TheSecondSign-
[QUOTE="mfacek"]

[QUOTE="Brainkiller05"]I agree, they should stop boasting about freedom... they often act as if every other country is in shackles and are slaves. Breaking news America: everybody is free, if "we are free" is the only bullet point on your box then things can't be going too well.loco145

I didn't know Saudi Arabia, Iran, China, and North Korea were three countries.

And if you go do some research, you'd find a suprising number of countries that have the same situation as those.

Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Stumpt25

Man, I actually did a report on gun control and all and here my result's

After 1920, when the UK have strict gun control, the crime rate have gone up by 400% since

In all the US states when guns control is not very strict, the crime rate is normally lower

In a situation, when a trepasser or intruder enter someone house, there is only 8% or 0.8% or someone get shot

Criminals are goin 2 stop buyin guns juz, there's a new law. Dat' why thy're criminals.

Hell, I even remember somewhere, I not certain but for every life loss to guns there are 250 or 2500 saved

999realthings

Your first fact is hugely misleading. In the 1920's there was hardly any access to any guns. People had more conservative values too, so less drugs, less teenage pregnancies, less everything... these things all contribute to crime.

You also discount the fact that the % of gun crime in the US is substancially higher than UK

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts

My mom moved to England, last time I visited her in '06, she made like 10000 Pounds a month managing people.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 loco145
[QUOTE="loco145"][QUOTE="mfacek"]

[QUOTE="Brainkiller05"]I agree, they should stop boasting about freedom... they often act as if every other country is in shackles and are slaves. Breaking news America: everybody is free, if "we are free" is the only bullet point on your box then things can't be going too well.CommanderShiro

The majority of countries in Africa, South America, the Middle East, Southeast Asia aren't what I'd consider free countries either. There are a few exceptions in those regions.

What South America country isn't free?
londoxleed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 londoxleed
Member since 2005 • 87 Posts
So you're just going to trust the police and authority to protect you all the time?
ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts
Forget freedom ! Americas great for hamburgers ,pies and the most powerful military in the world !
Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Stumpt25
[QUOTE="Stumpt25"]

[QUOTE="The_Mac_Daddy"]The American entrepreneuer is more free. Businesses are more free. Many more people in America can move up classes.. It's relatively hard to move up classes in Europe, I believe. We have the freedoms to remove those from office that we do not like. It happened in California before Arnold was the gov. They voted to remove the gov., and they did it. The "freedom" that we have here means anybody from anywhere in the world can come here and make something of themselves.The_Mac_Daddy

Hold on, let me dig up some support.

Oh, and America has TONS of immmigrants. And it's not just the amount of them, it's the opportunities they are presented with here that they probably would not have in other places..

You've misunderstood my point completely. There are no 'opportunities' available to immigrants in the US that aren't available in the UK... Otherwise we wouldn't have immigrants...

By the way you haven't thought about our right to free healthcare (you guys don't have that freedom)

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Breaking news: Not everyone is free. Ever hear of Saudi Arabia, Iran, China, or North Korea? You're free, I'm free, but to claim everyone in the world enjoys the freedoms we do is idiotic. mfacek
Way to illustrate a general lack of understanding about the world. People in China are just as free as people in the United States. Now they don't have the same rights, but rights aren't freedom. Rights are asserted norms of society to keep and establish order. The Chinese political and cultural environment is a lot different than in America. Thats not to say that people in China are any less free than we are. Their society is based on a paternalistic heirarchy and man-relationship structure in which people are able to thrive. Did you know that a recent survey showed that upwards of 80% of Chinese are happy with their form of government? In stark contrast, nearly 70% of Americans dislike our current government administration. Its a matter of societal differences, thats why Democracy won't ever take hold in places like Iran and China. Democracy isn't freedom.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CommanderShiro
[QUOTE="CommanderShiro"][QUOTE="loco145"][QUOTE="mfacek"]

What South America country isn't free?

Yeah I take back my comment on South America. Its really only Cuba and Venezuela that are sketchy.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 loco145
The Dutch have the freedom of smoking a joint and pay for sex after that!
Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Stumpt25

So you're just going to trust the police and authority to protect you all the time?londoxleed

Yes. It certainly makes our society safter :)

mfacek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mfacek
[QUOTE="mfacek"]

Do I really have to list every country that has harsh totalitarian regimes? Face it, while we enjoy many freedoms, claiming "everyone" is free is completely ignorant.

China alone counts for 1.4 billion people in the world with literally no freedom.

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts

Let us Americans live our lives while you live yours. It's strange that I never see Americans post threads on how they "don't get" other countries.stevenk4k5

Americans don't usually concern themselves with other countries. That is why you don't see them making threads like this.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 loco145
[QUOTE="loco145"][QUOTE="mfacek"]

Do I really have to list every country that has harsh totalitarian regimes? Face it, while we enjoy many freedoms, claiming "everyone" is free is completely ignorant.

China alone counts for 1.4 billion people in the world with literally no freedom.

oh, I didn't said that everyone was free. There are literally millions of people living in the USA that aren't free either. I have the freedom of using the trivial GIF compresion algorith without getting my ass sued. You don't ;)
airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 airg6
Listen you Brit. We like our country. Most Americans adore British people. Plus,most people in America don't have the money to move to Britain or anywhere else for that matter. So we're just going to keep our big buts here.
Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Stumpt25

[QUOTE="mfacek"]Breaking news: Not everyone is free. Ever hear of Saudi Arabia, Iran, China, or North Korea? You're free, I'm free, but to claim everyone in the world enjoys the freedoms we do is idiotic. Vandalvideo
Way to illustrate a general lack of understanding about the world. People in China are just as free as people in the United States. Now they don't have the same rights, but rights aren't freedom. Rights are asserted norms of society to keep and establish order. The Chinese political and cultural environment is a lot different than in America. Thats not to say that people in China are any less free than we are. Their society is based on a paternalistic heirarchy and man-relationship structure in which people are able to thrive. Did you know that a recent survey showed that upwards of 80% of Chinese are happy with their form of government? In stark contrast, nearly 70% of Americans dislike our current government administration. Its a matter of societal differences, thats why Democracy won't ever take hold in places like Iran and China. Democracy isn't freedom.

Even though your point is good, you haven't thought about the potential rebuttal of:

1 child policy

you are only allowed to drive on alternating days

(Even though these are very necessary policies)

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CommanderShiro
The thing about America is that so many immigrants come into the country for better opportunities. But you can pretty much give that claim to the countries in Western Europe too.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vandalvideo
Even though your point is good, you haven't thought about the potential rebuttal of:1 child policyyou are only allowed to drive on alternating days Even though these are very necessary policies) Stumpt25
Which is seen as a necessary social norm more than it is a freedom. Freedom isn't a set in stone dichotomy, its a continuum between negative and positive liberties.
Enosh88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Enosh88
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts
and btw: the sooner people realise that europe and the US got quite difrent values the sooner we can move on from this pointless debate. I would rank the US and the EU as basicly on the same level on the "freedom scale".
mfacek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mfacek

[QUOTE="mfacek"]Breaking news: Not everyone is free. Ever hear of Saudi Arabia, Iran, China, or North Korea? You're free, I'm free, but to claim everyone in the world enjoys the freedoms we do is idiotic. Vandalvideo

Give me a break. Chinese people have no freedom of press, no freedom of religion, no freedom of speech, no voting rights, virtually no women's rights, families can only have 1 child, no free market, and no habeas corpus.

You're right, democracy isn't freedom, but gaurenteeing the basic rights of your people is. The fact that you claim a Chinese women is as free as an American, French,or English women is laughable.

And yes, the rights the people have ARE freedom.

Do you even know what the definition of freedom is? Here are a few-

1. the power to determine action without restraint.

2. civil liberty, as opposed to subjection to an arbitrary or despotic government.

3. the right to enjoy all the privileges or special rights of citizenship, membership, etc., in a community or the like.

4. the power to exercise choice and make decisions without constraint from within or without; autonomy; self-determination.

darkIink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 darkIink
Member since 2006 • 2705 Posts
over-patriotic americans is one of my pet peeves. if you can't critisize your country how will it improve? i'm american btw, in ny.
mfacek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mfacek
[QUOTE="mfacek"][QUOTE="loco145"][QUOTE="mfacek"]

oh, I didn't said that everyone was free. There are literally millions of people living in the USA that aren't free either. I have the freedom of using the trivial GIF compresion algorith without getting my ass sued. You don't ;)

O, maybe Brainkiller's "Breaking News: Everyone is free" comment threw me off.

/facepalm

mfacek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mfacek

over-patriotic americans is one of my pet peeves. if you can't critisize your country how will it improve? i'm american btw, in ny.darkIink

Agreed, dissent is the highest form of patriotism.

I loved how ironic it was when the Republicans chanted USA to drown out protesters at the convention. :lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
Nevermind them mate, they have no idea what they're talking about.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Vandalvideo
Give me a break. Chinese people have no freedom of press, no freedom of religion, no freedom of speech, no voting rights, virtually no women's rights, families can only have 1 child, no free market, and no habeas corpus.mfacek
These are not freedoms, these are established societal norms that are used to keep order. You cannot apply the western idea of autonomy onto the chinese political system. What you're doing is disengenuous to their way of life, and ignoring their own values and freedoms.

You're right, democracy isn't freedom, but gaurenteeing the basic rights of your people is. The fact that you claim a Chinese women is as free as an American, French,or English women is laughable.

Wrong again. Rights are not freedom. Freedom is a continuum between negative and positive liberties. Positive liberties do not provide anymore innate freedom than negative liberties. China merely places more value in positive liberties.

And yes, the rights the people have ARE freedom.

Wrong again. That is merely one aspect of freedom the protection and happiness of the people is equally freedom.

Do you even know what the definition of freedom is? Here are a few-1. the power to determine action without restraint. 2. civil liberty, as opposed to subjection to an arbitrary or despotic government.

You're applying western conventions to the Chinese. The terminology and ideas hold very different meanings in the eastern world. When you start to directly translate concepts like "civilization" and "freedoms" in Chinese you get things like "literacy" and "happiness" respectively. Autonomy =/= freedom in the eastern sense.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
Nevermind them mate, they have no idea what they're talking about.jointed
Americans know everything. Fact.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

Good for you.

We live here because we like the way it is here.

If you don't want that go somewhere else.

-TheSecondSign-

Oh come on, that could apply to anything. North Korea, or China, for example.

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

[QUOTE="jointed"]Nevermind them mate, they have no idea what they're talking about.Jandurin
Americans know everything. Fact.

Yeah, I'm convinced :o