How was District 9?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2517 Posts

I might see it next week, and I would like to know what you guys thought about it. How is it?

A friend of mine who saw it said that it packed in too many things in one movie, and therefore it needed a sequel, and another friend of mine seconded that opinion.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

See it sooner than next weekend, its a terrific movie.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Yeah try to see it sooner, it was the best movie I saw all summer.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
I have a review in my blog, I thought it was good but I admire it more then I actually enjoyed it.
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
It was really good. See it as soon as possible.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I thought it was great. I really really enjoyed watching it.
Hot-Tamale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Hot-Tamale
Member since 2009 • 2052 Posts

I might see it next week, and I would like to know what you guys thought about it. How is it?

A friend of mine who saw it said that it packed in too many things in one movie, and therefore it needed a sequel, and another friend of mine seconded that opinion.

Tigerman950

It was very good. Lots of social commentary mixed with some pretty gratuitous violence. The story was good too. I highly recommend seeing it.

nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 nicknees93
Member since 2005 • 3250 Posts
It was amazing, go see it now.
ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

I saw it earlier this evening and I was amazed. Go see it as soon as possible.

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

it had a pig cannon what more do you want

EaglesPhan89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EaglesPhan89
Member since 2006 • 1549 Posts
Overall, the movie was weird, strange, unique and all-around entertaining. At some points I had no idea where they were going/what the plot truly was, but after a half hour or so, everything cleared up and it was great. A sci-fi action movie with heart. Go see it.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
i would recomend it if you like sci fi
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

it had a pig cannon what more do you want

spawnassasin

lol, I loved that part. I was watching and was like, "holy crap,did he just shoot a pig at that guy?". That was probably social commentary on rampant obesity.

Seriously though, it was an amazing movie. The sci-fi story and premise was were amazing, the special effects were top notch and the action sequences were stunning. I'm not usually one for deep movie's, but even I dug the themes (racism and out of control corporations are very topical). Besides, hom many movie's have lightning guns that make people explode?

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
I just got back it was awesome. Kind of reminded me of Children of Men a little bit.
Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts
Good stuff.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Just saw it today, was really a fantastic movie. Two thumbs up! Just so you know, there's plenty of gore to go around.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
it was a good movie, but not anywhere near the second coming like people are claiming. i went into a little more detail in the main district 9 thread (a good place to see what people here think of it...), so im not going to repeat myself. anyway, you might as well go see it. theres not much better playing in most theaters now.
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

one of the better scifi movies to come out within this decade. I'd say it's a toss up between this and moon, although they're completely different movies.

I'd give it a 9.5/10.

SaintBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SaintBlaze
Member since 2007 • 7736 Posts

It's a really good movie. I was shocked to learn that it was the director's first film. :o

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

It's a really good movie. I was shocked to learn that it was the director's first film. :o

SaintBlaze

It's was also Sharlto Copley's first movie that he's acted in and he did a fantastic job.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Typical hand-wringing white guilt trip.

White male = pure evil! Minority = noble and good!

Load of fecal matter, it was.

bogaty

Wow, that's a bit of a harsh review. Fecal matter? I'm not sure I agree with the white guilt trip statement, and why is everyone so butt hurt because it dealt with specieism (not necessarily racism).

I still think it has some awesome action and some really good SFX.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

bogaty

It didn't have anything against white people. It was a comment on apartheid in general. In case you didn't notice, one of the evil parties in the movie was a group of black Nigerian scammers/smugglers, and a lot of the people complaining about the aliens were black.

Anyway, the movie was very good. It's one of the very rare movies that portrays the aliens as the good guys and humans as the bad guys, and comes off quite convincingly as a result. I mean, let's be honest here folks, if there's a sentient race in the universe that's most likely to invade, slaughter, and subdue species of other planets, it's us. It's fresh enough to warrant a watch. There's also a lot of action as well if you prefer that sort of thing.

Lebbin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#24 Lebbin
Member since 2007 • 2049 Posts

The first 2 thirds are perfect sci-fi, but the last act falls into traditional action movie themes. Overall, the whole movie is great, even the last third which was still splendid.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="bogaty"]

jer_1

Wow, that's a bit of a harsh review. Fecal matter? I'm not sure I agree with the white guilt trip statement, and why is everyone so butt hurt because it dealt with specieism (not necessarily racism).

He's not just harsh, he's wrong.

The white male douchebag WASN'T pure evil, not at all. If anything, the movie dealt out a heavy dose of sympathy to the man who would simply be a snarling evil caricature in most movies.

And the minority equals noble and good thing is also wrong. Most movies with this type of message would portray the persecuted people as saints. But a lot of these aliens really ARE jerks. The vast majority of the aliens in the movie were in no way noble, and many of them are probably just plain bad.

If he thinks the movie boiled everyone down to such a stereotypical black or white dichotomy, then he's just wrong. The characters and relationships in this movie are (mostly) a LOT more complicated than that.

Exit_293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Exit_293
Member since 2008 • 2490 Posts
It got me thinking but even so it still was a good movie.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

[QUOTE="bogaty"]

MrGeezer

The white male douchebag WASN'T pure evil, not at all. If anything, the movie dealt out a heavy dose of sympathy to the man who would simply be a snarling evil caricature in most movies.

And the minority equals noble and good thing is also wrong. Most movies with this type of message would portray the persecuted people as saints. But a lot of these aliens really ARE jerks. The vast majority of the aliens in the movie were in no way noble, and many of them are probably just plain bad.

If he thinks the movie boiled everyone down to such a stereotypical black or white dichotomy, then he's just wrong. The characters and relationships in this movie are (mostly) a LOT more complicated than that.

How was the white male douchebag at all sympathetic? Not once in the movie does he show any remorse whatsoever or give any reason for what he's doing other than "I LOVE the fact that I get to kill prawn for my job!"

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="bogaty"]

gameguy6700

It didn't have anything against white people. It was a comment on apartheid in general. In case you didn't notice, one of the evil parties in the movie was a group of black Nigerian scammers/smugglers, and a lot of the people complaining about the aliens were black.

Anyway, the movie was very good. It's one of the very rare movies that portrays the aliens as the good guys and humans as the bad guys, and comes off quite convincingly as a result. I mean, let's be honest here folks, if there's a sentient race in the universe that's most likely to invade, slaughter, and subdue species of other planets, it's us. It's fresh enough to warrant a watch. There's also a lot of action as well if you prefer that sort of thing.

I also think that you're going a little bit overboard as well.

A lot of the aliens in the movie are most definitely not "the good guys". They may not be totally evil, and they may be subjected to inhumane conditions that they in no way deserve. But saying that they are the "good guys" is a HUGE stretch.

At the same time, the movie never even answers the question of why the aliens came here, or why they were armed to the teeth with ****ing ghastly badass weapons. Did you ever consider that before they got sick and their ship got stranded, that maybe they were on their way to rape and pillage another world (maybe even ours) in the exact same way that we do?

It's like the saying goes, how much understanding can you have for a man before you walk a mile in his shoes? There's no telling what the aliens were up to, where they were going, or why they were going there. Thankfully, the movie never answers that. But did you ever consider that maybe they were already coming here in order to CONQUER us? Did you ever consider that Wickus' transformation could be an ironic parallel to the aliens' transformation into hated refugees on a planet that they were about to rape and pillage?

The movie really DIDN'T portray the aliens as "the good guys", because the moral issue at hand is more complicated than a question of "good or bad".

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts
102131891854275240572457540524525th topic. Best Movie of the year. One of the best movies of all time. THERE.
aRE-you-AFraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 aRE-you-AFraid
Member since 2006 • 3234 Posts
amazing. Go see it.
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

Really good.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

gameguy6700

How was the white male douchebag at all sympathetic? Not once in the movie does he show any remorse whatsoever or give any reason for what he's doing other than "I LOVE the fact that I get to kill prawn for my job!"

For starters, he had a damn family. He had a loving wife who was worried about him when he disappeared, he went to the hospital because he was sick and ended up getting covertly carted away to a death camp.

For starters, there's your answer. If you can't see the injustice in treating a douchebag like that, then you're thinking just like Wickus did. Because most (or at least a LOT) of the aliens ARE douchebags. They spend all day causing trouble, being violent and hostile, and getting high on cat food. They engage in crime and prostitution, they join gangs, and they contribute to the whole place being a **** But6 it's still WRONG what is happening to them. And if you can't have sympathy for what happens to Wickus, then how can you expect some pencil-pushing law-abiding beaurocrat like Wickus to hav sympathy for the pain that the alien douchebags suffer when he torches a house full of their illegal egg pods?

Apparently you forgot that during the weapons testing, he specifically begged to NOT have to kill a "prawn".

Yes, he is a douchebag, just like many of the aliens are douchebags. The point is that being a douchebag isn't enough to justify doing horrible **** to people. And honestly, I'm ashamed to even have to state that, because that's something that every single one of us should know by heart.

What stops you from killing some douchebag who cuts you off during traffic, or slaps your girlfriend for talking trash about his mother? Is it the LAW? Because Wickus was all about the law. That's why he was delivering eviction notices and finding ways to circumvent legal procedure. He torched alien pods because that was the law. He delivered eviction notices because that was legally mandated. Do you function as a civilised human being because of the law, or do you function as a civilised human being because you recognize a moral standard of fairness by which it's WRONG to treat people a certain way even if they are total pricks?

That's really the thing...Wickus was a total jerk, but he was a jerk who BELIEVED he was doing the right thing. This didn't change until his whole situation got changed, and even before that he was just an ignorant man who was just wrong. You can call him evil all you want, but what happened to him was just WRONG. End of story. And that whole change of events not only caused him to transform physically, but also MORALLY.

But the bottom line is this...if you can shrug off the **** that happened to him just because he was "an unlikeable protagonist", then you've just VALIDATED the way that he was treating the aliens. Wickus didn't like the aliens any more than most of us like Wickus. But the injustices transcend that, and at least Wickus was trying to constantly follow the law.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

[QUOTE="bogaty"]

MrGeezer

I also think that you're going a little bit overboard as well.

A lot of the aliens in the movie are most definitely not "the good guys". They may not be totally evil, and they may be subjected to inhumane conditions that they in no way deserve. But saying that they are the "good guys" is a HUGE stretch.

At the same time, the movie never even answers the question of why the aliens came here, or why they were armed to the teeth with ****ing ghastly badass weapons. Did you ever consider that before they got sick and their ship got stranded, that maybe they were on their way to rape and pillage another world (maybe even ours) in the exact same way that we do?

It's like the saying goes, how much understanding can you have for a man before you walk a mile in his shoes? There's no telling what the aliens were up to, where they were going, or why they were going there. Thankfully, the movie never answers that. But did you ever consider that maybe they were already coming here in order to CONQUER us? Did you ever consider that Wickus' transformation could be an ironic parallel to the aliens' transformation into hated refugees on a planet that they were about to rape and pillage?

The movie really DIDN'T portray the aliens as "the good guys", because the moral issue at hand is more complicated than a question of "good or bad".

The movie definitely portrays the aliens in a sympathetic light. There were quite a few scenes in the movie which were there simply to make you hate the humans. There were also a few scenes that tried to grey things up a bit by showing the aliens being jerkasses too, but I think it's safe to say that the amount and degree of cruelty expressed by the humans easily outweighed that shown by the aliens.

The movie does explain why they came to Earth (or at least it was supposed to, there was at least one scene that was in the trailer that was missing from the film itself). Basically the prawn are a hive species like bees and ants. All of the prawn you saw in the movie are drones. The leader, the real mind behind them, died before or shortly after the ship landed. Without a leader they had no direction and were pretty much going about life aimlessly which is why the ship was in such disrepair and why they were in such bad physical shape when they were found. In the scene that was missing from the movie, one of the aliens explains that they didn't mean to land on Earth and that the only reason they did was because something happened to their ship and they needed to make an emergency landing.

Whether or not they were on their way to invade another world isn't answered or even touched on in the movie. However, it seems doubtful considering that if they wanted to they could have easily turned the tables on their captors. Let's not forget that they were still very armed to the teeth even 20 years after landing (to the point that they had managed to hide a freaking mech suit). It's not like they were scared of being overpowered either considering that their weaponry was so powerful that a mere two beings were able to break into MNU HQ and come out alive. That mech suit was also able to take on an entire paramilitary force despite being piloted by a guy who had almost no idea how to use it. While the aliens do get violent in a few scenes, for the most part they're portrayed as being relatively pacifist.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

For starters, he had a damn family. He had a loving wife who was worried about him when he disappeared, he went to the hospital because he was sick and ended up getting covertly carted away to a death camp.

For starters, there's your answer. If you can't see the injustice in treating a douchebag like that, then you're thinking just like Wickus did. Because most (or at least a LOT) of the aliens ARE douchebags. They spend all day causing trouble, being violent and hostile, and getting high on cat food. They engage in crime and prostitution, they join gangs, and they contribute to the whole place being a **** But6 it's still WRONG what is happening to them. And if you can't have sympathy for what happens to Wickus, then how can you expect some pencil-pushing law-abiding beaurocrat like Wickus to hav sympathy for the pain that the alien douchebags suffer when he torches a house full of their illegal egg pods?

Apparently you forgot that during the weapons testing, he specifically begged to NOT have to kill a "prawn".

Yes, he is a douchebag, just like many of the aliens are douchebags. The point is that being a douchebag isn't enough to justify doing horrible **** to people. And honestly, I'm ashamed to even have to state that, because that's something that every single one of us should know by heart.

What stops you from killing some douchebag who cuts you off during traffic, or slaps your girlfriend for talking trash about his mother? Is it the LAW? Because Wickus was all about the law. That's why he was delivering eviction notices and finding ways to circumvent legal procedure. He torched alien pods because that was the law. He delivered eviction notices because that was legally mandated. Do you function as a civilised human being because of the law, or do you function as a civilised human being because you recognize a moral standard of fairness by which it's WRONG to treat people a certain way even if they are total pricks?

That's really the thing...Wickus was a total jerk, but he was a jerk who BELIEVED he was doing the right thing. This didn't change until his whole situation got changed, and even before that he was just an ignorant man who was just wrong. You can call him evil all you want, but what happened to him was just WRONG. End of story. And that whole change of events not only caused him to transform physically, but also MORALLY.

But the bottom line is this...if you can shrug off the **** that happened to him just because he was "an unlikeable protagonist", then you've just VALIDATED the way that he was treating the aliens. Wickus didn't like the aliens any more than most of us like Wickus. But the injustices transcend that, and at least Wickus was trying to constantly follow the law.

Oh, we're talking about two different guys. When you said "white douchebag" I thought you meant the guy in charge of the MNU paramilitary operation who was running around the whole movie looking for excuses to kill things.

X-PrestigeMen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 X-PrestigeMen
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I thought it was really good, Blomkamp did some interesting choices with the camera angles like the one where the camera was on the soldiers gun the lighting was pretty weird but it all worked out threw whole movie. I thought it was overall the best movie this year, I would like to see what Blomkamp does next.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gameguy6700

I thought it was really good, Blomkamp did some interesting choices with the camera angles like the one where the camera was on the soldiers gun the lighting was pretty weird but it all worked out threw whole movie. I thought it was overall the best movie this year, I would like to see what Blomkamp does next.X-PrestigeMen

The movie pretty much spelled it out: District 10, coming in 2012.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
At the very least the movie is interesting till the end. I had a different thought of what the movie was going to be like in my head but unlike transformers 2, the movie was atleast as good as i hoped lol. Ill be getting it on BD when it comes out.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MrGeezer

Oh, we're talking about two different guys. When you said "white douchebag" I thought you meant the guy in charge of the MNU paramilitary operation who was running around the whole movie looking for excuses to kill things.

gameguy6700

No, he's not the "white male douchebag", he's the "I love killing things" douchebag.

Though to be fair, I'm not sure how much he simply wanted an excuse to kill ALIENS as opposed to how much he wanted an excuse to kill ANYTHING. He sure as hell had no problems with hunting down Wickus. If the aliens had never landed, this dude would still probably be out somewhere killing people.

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Chiddaling
Stupid argument is stupid. Just stop. No one will win.
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Chiddaling

[QUOTE="X-PrestigeMen"]I thought it was really good, Blomkamp did some interesting choices with the camera angles like the one where the camera was on the soldiers gun the lighting was pretty weird but it all worked out threw whole movie. I thought it was overall the best movie this year, I would like to see what Blomkamp does next.gameguy6700

The movie pretty much spelled it out: District 10, coming in 2012.

No confirmed report. I would much rather have District 9 to be a standalone, rather then to have a sequel.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
The movie is especially impressive for being "just" a 30 million dollar movie. Even "The Time Traveler's Wife" cost 39M to make lol. Obviously the stars are a big cost but now the director and the star of D9 are both going to ask for more money on which ever new film they do as well lol.
Buck_Hotep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Buck_Hotep
Member since 2003 • 10589 Posts

[QUOTE="bogaty"]

jer_1

Weird he says that when it was both white and black South Africans who wanted them out of sight or, better yet, just gone altogether. I'm guessing the Nigerian crimelord and his gang were noble and good in his eyes. Sounds like something an anti-Armond would say which probably means Limbaugh or Hannity will be making their thought about the film known soon enough.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

No, it means I understand the concept of allegory and symbolism. It was all just so utterly predictible and trite.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15597 Posts

I just saw it today, it was definitely amazing.

I'd give it 5 cans of cat food out of 5.

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
My avatar and sig say it all (:
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts

I can't believe I'm saying this....but I actually liked it more than the Star Trek movie. It was that good.

adv_tr00per

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 adv_tr00per
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts

A M A Z IN G

watch it. NOW!!!!

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2517 Posts

Guys, you don't need to reply to this thread anymore.

I saw the movie just last week, and I thought it was great.

adv_tr00per

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 adv_tr00per
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts

Guys, you don't need to reply to this thread anymore.

I saw the movie just last week, and I thought it was great.

Tigerman950
I think you should go watch it again :)
karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 karriston
Member since 2005 • 3631 Posts

No, it means I understand the concept of allegory and symbolism. It was all just so utterly predictible and trite.

bogaty
Pseudo-intellectualism and pretension is fun :D