LoonelyTress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 LoonelyTress
Member since 2017 • 119 Posts

Has your own city/state done a good job so far for containing Covid-19 cases?

We're all got bothered and worried when this pandemic hit the world. We became anxious about our health, our safety, and our family's and loved ones' so it's better to know that in our backyard and community that we are safer inside compare to other places.

There are few cities here in my country that were put on another lockdown due to another surge of infection in their locals. My city on the other hand is very strict with wearing protective masks and shields and curfews right until now when we only getting fewer cases every day.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#2 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Almost miraculously well. Less than 3,900 cases and just 60 deaths in a country of 60 million. All that heavy investment in public health and all the hard-learned experiences of fighting AIDS, malaria, dengue fever and such seemed to have paid off.

Life's pretty much back to normal here, just with most people still wearing masks. Even the political protests are back.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

It's apparently not going well here. Hospitals are overburdened again. I haven't been paying attention until this minute.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Daily confirmed cases have reached an all time peak which led to another nation-wide lockdown for the entirety of November. Masks are mandatory in all interior and outside areas.

We coped with the 1st wave of infections surprisingly well, but a large portion of the population apparently were sick (no pun intended) of the pandemic and decided to go about their lives like normal. So we're back to quarantine before things get even more out of hand.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

We just came out of a 17 day lockdown which managed to slow things down a bit, but I sense another lockdown is imminent. Here in the UK the various governments seem to want to avoid a lockdown over the Xmas week, so they're basically saying 'sacrifice November to save December'.

We are doing pretty badly overall with the number of cases though, so I don't know how realistic that is.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Unfortunately the state is going in the wrong direction as is my county which asked people to stay home.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

The city of Hong Kong never locked down, 5,492 cases, 108 deaths in one of the most densely populated cities in earth.

Practically 100% compliance to the usage of face masks, free testing, practically free hospital care, free voluntary testing tents pops up all over the place.

All visitors into the city needs to be quarantined for two weeks (except Mainland Chinese) and tested.

Quarantine can be at home, in a designated hotel or designated army barracks. Food is delivered to you and your rubbish/trash is taken away daily.

We all work from home I can even expense my internet fee. Schools reopened ages ago but it’s only a half day, when cases climbed in the past lessons were online.

You have your temperature taken when you enter most shops, most restaurants have setup those plexiglass barriers or social distance measures taken.

I think HK did quite well and I feel fairly safe.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

The second wave is much worse than the first. During the first wave there was a strict lockdown, which I believe helped in lowering the numbers. With winter here I think politicians are afraid to do that again and risk more people becoming unemployed.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

We’re in another fairly strict lockdown full of contradictions and hypocrisies again. Apparently this virus is incredibly deadly and contagious so most businesses have been forced to close, but gyms are allowed to operate with certain regulations, schools are open for kids to mingle because they can’t catch covid or spread it, just like it won’t spread past 6’, or pass through any material as long as it is on your face.

I don’t believe that this is as dangerous as they say, and the numbers seem to agree. Most places seem to be putting on regulations and controls just for the optics of doing something progressive. Give me a break.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@ratchetclank92 said:

We’re in another fairly strict lockdown full of contradictions and hypocrisies again. Apparently this virus is incredibly deadly and contagious so most businesses have been forced to close, but gyms are allowed to operate with certain regulations, schools are open for kids to mingle because they can’t catch covid or spread it, just like it won’t spread past 6’, or pass through any material as long as it is on your face.

I don’t believe that this is as dangerous as they say, and the numbers seem to agree. Most places seem to be putting on regulations and controls just for the optics of doing something progressive. Give me a break.

The gyms and schools remaining open make sense.

Gyms are kept open, here in Alberta anyway, to help with physical and mental health. I don't know if they stated this but I'm sure that they're doing this to reduce the likelihood of suicides. Gyms have strict capacity limits and they're banning people who don't follow the rules. While there is a risk of getting covid at a gym, and it's ideal to simply not catch the virus...if you do it's better to be healthy than overweight (which leads to health risks).

It makes sense to keep schools open more so for the parents. If kids aren't at school, they're at home. Which means a parent has to be at home and that could lead to an increase in unemployment. It's simply not sustainable in our economy. I don't have any kids but I work with people who had their hours reduced because they chose to keep their child at home for online schooling. I also know others that let their kids go to school. A lot of rules and it gets stressful for them too. They lose hours and money too if their kid has the sniffles. They have to stay home with them.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#11 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

It's been good. I'm happy with how everything has been handled for the most part, in my neck of the woods at least. I was kind of expecting my state to have another lockdown during the second wave, but nothing has escalated drastically.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#12 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Not going great here. we did a great job dealing with the first wave and things mostly opened back up in the summer.

However we are now breaking daily case records pretty much every day, they implemented a sort of semi-lockdown recently and it doesn't seem to be working.

I get the sense that people aren't taking it seriously its not being enforced so I don't see the case numbers turning around any time soon

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

It was going good but to many morons ruined it and now my arena might being closing restaurants again stupid anti- maskers F ed it up it's not surprising though we all know who these Alex Jones types worship.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Think our government has been handling it quite well.

On lock-down again, but it is a hotspot area, makes perfect sense.

Kind watch those guys on TV protesting this stuff, going on marches thinking they are William Wallace fighting da system and just cringe internally.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

15 counties in my state are in red. In person dining at restaurants is prohibited as of today until further notice, bars that don't also serve food are now closed, and the places that are allowed to stay open now have to boot everyone by 8PM (formerly 10PM).

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Pretty good. Lock down feels like a distant memory at this point, and we have no community transmission (the only people with Covid are in isolation). This can all change very quickly of course.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Revisit this topic 7-10 days after the United States celebrates Thanksgiving.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
@Solaryellow said:

Revisit this topic 7-10 days after the United States celebrates Thanksgiving.

Airports are quite busy.............

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Solaryellow

@LJS9502_basic said:

Airports are quite busy.............

Myself and the worker at the state store had the very same conversation this afternoon.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

Is that why everybody is buying toilet paper?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Solaryellow

Lets see if people spent more $$$$ on toilet paper or firearms during 2020. Nothing says survival like TP. Forget the food.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#22 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

We are getting record cases here in Canada and some places are in lockdown or in the process of having one. Hate the thought of sitting in my apartment alone when I am not working and perhaps self isolating myself completely. Depressing. ☹️

grandporcupine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By grandporcupine
Member since 2020 • 33 Posts

Idiot governors with ridiculously broad lockdown plans in the spring have made it hard for any to implement a lockdown now.

I personally think we should just wear masks, try to avoid crowds, and focus on protecting the elderly and sickly.

But if you are really afraid of it then logical cases could be made for selective rolling shutdowns in places like bars and gyms and sporting events.

However people like Witmer kind of made that an impossible sell when she went wild shuttered garden supply stores, department stores and etc for long periods.

I just found out about this article and I thought I could share and leave it here, a good read for most of us that's trying to maintain our mental well-being during these days. Always keep yourself safe.

http://acuhealthcntr.com/lockdown-realizations-what-your-emotions-are-telling-you/

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Solaryellow

Hasn't Stretchin' Gretchen allowed professional and collegiate sports to continue though?

nofuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nofuss
Member since 2020 • 1 Posts

Really not great, especially considering I'm running a 3D visualization business.

Any help in spreading the word about it would be much appreciated: https://www.no-fuss.com/about

LoonelyTress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LoonelyTress
Member since 2017 • 119 Posts

@grandporcupine said:

Idiot governors with ridiculously broad lockdown plans in the spring have made it hard for any to implement a lockdown now.

I personally think we should just wear masks, try to avoid crowds, and focus on protecting the elderly and sickly.

But if you are really afraid of it then logical cases could be made for selective rolling shutdowns in places like bars and gyms and sporting events.

However people like Witmer kind of made that an impossible sell when she went wild shuttered garden supply stores, department stores and etc for long periods.

I just found out about this article and I thought I could share and leave it here, a good read for most of us that's trying to maintain our mental well-being during these days. Always keep yourself safe.

http://acuhealthcntr.com/lockdown-realizations-what-your-emotions-are-telling-you/

I'm glad that you're doing your part to be safe to yourself and to others. Not all people will do the same thing nowadays. I find reading some helpful articles as my new hobby, so I appreciate you for sharing that. I'm sure it helped you too to manage your emotions during these days.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#27 Peasly
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

I live in the North west of UK. I have to say people are not taking things seriously. Lots of my neighbours have had more tradesmen and family round over November than they had in 2019..!! None wearing masks or taking safety measures.

We live in a rented house and was assured that when we had an electrician come round to check things out he would be masked up, he wasn't and he was in the house for 2 hrs. Same with the gas inspection and the company AO who delivered/installed our new washing machine without masks or 2 metre rule.

We had to wear them so we felt safe in our own home. I don't know what to think any more. It's no wonder we're still in tier 3. Super spreaders everywhere.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Here in Northampton County, PA, we've had 2,500 cases from the 13th-25th. 349+k cases total statewide, 10+k deaths.

I don't really know how that stacks up to good or bad.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Not to good. It is close to the third week of a second lockdown in my city. Neighbouring counties has also locked down due to the city folks leaving the city to do things they couldn't do here. Glad the counties did.

Number of new cases has flattened nationally the last week. As well as in the city. But flattening at record high numbers... Well isn't to good really.

grandporcupine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 grandporcupine
Member since 2020 • 33 Posts

@loonelytress said:

I'm glad that you're doing your part to be safe to yourself and to others. Not all people will do the same thing nowadays. I find reading some helpful articles as my new hobby, so I appreciate you for sharing that. I'm sure it helped you too to manage your emotions during these days.

You're welcome. Reading has always been my stress and anxiety reliever, so I just thought I could share one. :)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Bad. People are still gathering in places, going into trains and buses that are full, pretending the virus doesn't exist. About 5% of people in stores are wearing masks. Infection rates are going up.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Solaryellow

@MirkoS77 said:

Here in Northampton County, PA, we've had 2,500 cases from the 13th-25th. 349+k cases total statewide, 10+k deaths.

Your county hasn't even cracked the top ten. The cases and deaths in your place can't even compare to the big boys but I am surprised Northampton isn't higher considering geography and all.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@Solaryellow said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Your county hasn't even cracked the top ten. The cases and deaths in your place can't even compare to the big boys but I am surprised Northampton isn't higher considering geography and all.

That's comforting to know, thanks. Where are you getting your info from, I'm curious to take a look.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Solaryellow

@MirkoS77 said:
@Solaryellow said:
@MirkoS77 said:

That's comforting to know, thanks. Where are you getting your info from, I'm curious to take a look.

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/coronavirus/2020/12/pa-coronavirus-update-5676-new-cases-on-highest-positivity-rate-ever-180-new-deaths-after-slow-thanksgiving-reporting-most-lehigh-valley-deaths-since-july-pa-covid-19-county-map-12120.html

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 uninspiredcup

Got off jury duty.

They were going to hold it in a cinema with camera feeds.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#36 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

The Quebec government has totally mishandled it.

Shroomarie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shroomarie
Member since 2020 • 1 Posts

@loonelytress: We are currently on lockdown again here in California. We've recently had a surge again and it's higher than ever. 28k+ as of 12/06.

Here's a video talking about how I personally feel about this new lockdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwxk8PkxvNk&t=118s

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 YukoAsho
Member since 2004 • 3737 Posts

Covid has pretty much taken over here in Florida. Our governor is the very definition of a useless tool, and is going so far as to hamper local officials' efforts to contain the virus.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 uninspiredcup

Notice the delivery men here have stopped keeping a distance and wearing masks, even though, they are technically breaking the law. Just seemed to have stopped giving a shit.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Lockdown helps. Soon less than 100 on a daily basis (weekly average) .

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Montana is on the verge of hospitals getting overwhelmed. Lots of nurses quitting due to overwork. Fortunately, we're getting limited vaccine distribution either today or tomorrow.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

It is getting better here in England except for those southern idiots. My mother works at the local hospital and they're closing down the COVID ward.

mt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mt47
Member since 2020 • 6 Posts

my country Iran is like a hell these days. coronavirus plus ruined the economy and dozens of other problems. it's really hard. don't be sad about yourself. life could be worse than this.