How many times have you changed your major in college?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamah_killah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gamah_killah
Member since 2006 • 13020 Posts

I am currently going through my third change. My first major was graphics design (it's been my hobby as a teen), then physical therapy (those who I've told said WTF at the huge change I've made; I am into fitness and health), then while I took my prereqs for PT I became interested somewhat along the lines of electrical engineering (not for the interest for money, but rather my passion for hardware tech). I wasn't too sure if EE was right for me because I wasn't really doing well for the prereqs I had to take for PT that are the same for EE. I lost passion for PT during a couple of science classes which later showed through my grades.

Then I've just been looking into other things, which eventually lead me to finding industrial design. I don't know if this is what I'll be sticking to. I've been somewhat desperate since the semester is about to start but I've been doing a lot of research about it and have shown more interests since.

So, I'd like to hear everyone's experiences if they wish to share it. What changes have you gone through in college and what made you stick to it? For the graduates, are you happy with your decision?

wellbigd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 wellbigd
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts

once for me, Biological Science to Political Science, I was deluded and thought I wanted to go to med school untill I interned at a hospital. I love politics and government struture so i choose poly sci as my next major, looking to either get an MBA or JD once I Graduate. Though I am thinking of double majoring in economics as I already have a minor.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178848 Posts
Never did. Then again I went in the army before college so maybe it's better not to decide so early.
rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

haven't changed my major (sociology), and don't think i will, but i have dropped my minor (polysci). kinda sucks that i wasted a semester of classes for my now discontinued minor, but hey--what can you do; people's aspirations change constantly. i might even pursue a different major when i complete my current one.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

never did

wellbigd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wellbigd
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts

haven't changed my major (sociology), and don't think i will, but i have dropped my minor (polysci). kinda sucks that i wasted a semester of classes for my now discontinued minor, but hey--what can you do; people's aspirations change constantly. i might even pursue a different major when i complete my current one.

rocinante_
If I may ask why did you drop it?
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

I haven't changed my major at all; I am still a music performance major, going into my Junior year with no regrets.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
Never changed my degree. Going into my last year for Cisco Networking. Haven't looked back once.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Never did. Also changing your degree so often could turn expensive and lead to you staying longer in college the necessary. Considering the cost of college it might be best to take time off, save the money, until you know what you wanna do.
rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rocinante_

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

wellbigd

If I may ask why did you drop it?

partly because i just wanted to focus on my major for now, and partly because i just found the material kinda dry; i thought i would've have enjoyed it, but it didn't turn out that way. i like how my major, sociology, encompasses politics as well as other variables (like education, religion, employment, gender issues, etc.), so i found taking polysci as a minor was kinda redundant. 

why, you thinkin of goin into that field?

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Never. I stayed undeclared until my last year of CC, which was when I finally figured out what I wanted to do and luckily it didn't have a lot of prereqs, just Stats as the major one. 

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

rocinante_

Just letting you know, getting a job with that degree is tough.  My cousin has a bechelor's in sociology from UCSB and can't find any job at all.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Well, I *added* a major.
EagleEyedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EagleEyedOne
Member since 2013 • 1676 Posts

3. Was a Business major then thought I wanted to be a doctor and switched to biochemistry. Got to Organic Chemistry classes and then decided that the hard sciences were not for me and switched back to busniess/economics major.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

None. Have been cursed as a Music Major since day 1.

Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
3 or 4 times.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#17 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

none. went straight into and finished the majors i chose. 

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
Went from computer science to electrical engineering, had to pick one eventually.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Never changed my major, but added one.
Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#20 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5169 Posts

Didnt delcare a major my first two years, just focused on gen ed courses. Junior year declared as a broadcast major with a PR minor. Senior now and not looking to change at all. Currently work for a radio station so Im where I want to be for now.

HybridPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HybridPhoenix
Member since 2007 • 3598 Posts
Never changed, just added another one.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

Started my B.A. in Youth Ministry but finished with Christian Studies. The concentration of my M.Div. was originally North American Church Planting but it looks like I will finish with a more general Christian Ministry concentration. No regrets.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#23 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I didn't. I did a masters degree, and maybe I'll do a PhD to become a true pokemon master.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Four for me: Computer Science to Undeclared to English to Journalism. Graduated with an A.A. in Journalism. I later turned it into a B.A.
Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts
Went straight to CC after graduating high school. Didn't know what I wanted to do and took gen ed courses for a year and a half. Then I transferred to a university to pursue Physics and added a Math degree.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I never changed it after I picked it (in my third year). While I regret going with arts, if I had picked something else (more career relevant) I probably would not have ended up working my passion.
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
Stayed with chemical engineering the whole way through. Never really was at all tempted to change majors.
rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rocinante_

[QUOTE="rocinante_"]

GummiRaccoon

Just letting you know, getting a job with that degree is tough.  My cousin has a bechelor's in sociology from UCSB and can't find any job at all.

i'm too worried bout that. firstly, i'm plannin to go to graduate school, so my chances'll of finding a career will be better. secondly, if it doesn't work out for me, oh well; i'll jus go back to school and study in another field. sure, i'll go into even more debt, but that's not something i'm gonna let bring me down.

Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

none. 

My school let us choose out majors half way through our sophomore year, so I dint have much time to second guess it.