How many people avoid gaemstop or go there because they have no other choice?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

walbeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 walbeb
Member since 2007 • 616 Posts

^^^ I am just curious because there is a lot of hate for gamestop because of the way they "rip" people off and such, i personally go there because i live in NYC so they are all over the place.

The biggest reason i am wondering is just to hear people's opinions on why they dislike it so much.

Avatar image for Too_tight_shoes
Too_tight_shoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Too_tight_shoes
Member since 2009 • 2486 Posts

Damn theres a portal that gets you from a windows 7 topic in the pc hardware section to here... :o.

THE_BRUTALIZER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 THE_BRUTALIZER
Member since 2008 • 3488 Posts

I dont mind the prices, honestly, but the customer service is terrible. The workers generally know nothing about games, text while you are trying to get their attention, and are just generally stupid preppy teenagers who wanted an easy job. Just in general, Im not saying all of them.

I came to pick up my preordered Infamous earlier this year. I came with the receipt and everything, the dude doesnt even look at me, and says "We are out. Sorry."

So I told him to check in the drawer behind him to make sure. He said "DUDE. We're out." I asked him kindly again, to check. He sighed, looked back there, found another copy, and gave it to me. He NEVER asked for my info or anything. I did pay for it, but this dude is always a douche.

Trinners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Trinners
Member since 2009 • 2537 Posts

Horrible customer service but it's the best place for games if you're buying from retail I guess. Although I get my games from craigslist.

quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

Damn theres a portal that gets you from a windows 7 topic in the pc hardware section to here... :o.

Too_tight_shoes

Yeah... that was weird.

I've personally never had a bad experience with Gamestop. I just know a lot of people that prefer the local businesses over a large chain.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Heck, I bought this crappy game for over $40 and when I returned it, I got only $4.:?

My mom said: "No offence, but we aren't coming here anymore" or something like that.:lol:

I'm not surprised. It was such a rip-off!:x

megahaloman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 megahaloman64
Member since 2006 • 2532 Posts

I don't like how if you buy a "new" game, it isn't in the case, no they have to go get it from god knows where. I should be paying used price if it's been opened. Like at a retail store, if a shirt has the tag off, but it was never worn, its considered used.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
There is one a few blocks from my office but I don't ever go there. The service is terrible and unbelievably slow. I used the PlayStation Store in the Metreon until that folded, and now all my game purchases come from Amazon.
walbeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 walbeb

Yeah my biggest gripe is the laziness and workers, some workers are very nice to talk to but some are redefine the word d-bag. I just wish there were more game stores in NY then the gamestops.

Xul_Onerom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xul_Onerom
Member since 2007 • 119 Posts

I once went with one of my bros because he wanted to buy a PS2 and some games. The clerk convinced him to buy a used PS2 and a used copy of GOW2 instead of a new one. When we got home and tried to test the PS2 to see if it worked, the controller's cable was in pretty bad shape. I told him we should go back and get another controller. We go back, and the clerk gives us another used controller. Just when we went out of the store, we noticed the new controller wasn't a Sony controller. It didn't even have the name of the brand in it. My friend gave up and kept that controller, but if it would have been me I'd have gone back to ask for a Sony controller.

Oh, and a few days later my friend found out that his copy of GOW2 freezes after the first cutscene

--Thomas--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 --Thomas--
Member since 2009 • 920 Posts

I don't go there because their prices are usually higher than the competitors. Sure they rip people off, but only because people let them do that. It's not like anyone is forcing you to take part of their "great" deals.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

What I get from this Gamestop is that almost everyone of them consists out of bad service,lazy workers and so on.Is that an agreement they made or something?:?
You would expect that atleast one store would handle their business better.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

My local gamestop has pretty knowledgeable clerks for the most part, but I still hate the way they get an attitude when you don't preorder new games. I mean hey, I could get the game no problem at Target, why would I expect a specialty store to have a few copies?

megahaloman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 megahaloman64
Member since 2006 • 2532 Posts

Heck, I bought this crappy game for over $40 and when I returned it, I got only $4.:?

My mom said: "No offence, but we aren't coming here anymore" or something like that.:lol:

I'm not surprised. It was such a rip-off!:x

gamerguru100

I bought W@W new for $60 and I hated it so I wanted to return it and I was only going to get 20 back, but I convinced them to give me full price. And of course they resell it for 55 bucks. If you only got 4 back you'd be better off just keeping it.

RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

There are 2 Gamestops in Belfast.. both of which suck. The clerks are very unpleasant, the store is quite dirty looking and the games are overpriced. I stick to game store which are the complete opposite :P

Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#17 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts
As a PC gamer, Gamestop is not an ideal place for such people. I only went there because its the closest game store to my home but after trying to reserve RE5 and facing resistance (the cashier kept insisting no such game for this platform exists and that any info on the website was a misprint, even though I showed proof) I decided to either buy all PC games through online sellers, do digital download if no retail box is available or make the trip to Manhattan to J & R where they have a wide selection of old and new PC games. In fact, their video game floor is divided into 2 sections, 50% is all PC, and the other half is all consoles and handheld.
ryrulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ryrulez
Member since 2008 • 11605 Posts

Too_tight_shoes
Yeah I had a few of them, I got taken from a borderlands thread on the 360 board to a far cry 2 thread on the ps3 board. What's goin' on, I'm scared :cry:
Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#19 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts
[QUOTE="Too_tight_shoes"]

ryrulez
Yeah I had a few of them, I got taken from a borderlands thread on the 360 board to a far cry 2 thread on the ps3 board. What's goin' on, I'm scared :cry:

I ended up on the Wii board with a Zelda thread from the PC forums!
walbeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 walbeb

I think i might try it out to see what surprise they got stored up for me.

Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Crimtmp
Member since 2006 • 2432 Posts

avoid it like the plague! Play N Trade ftw

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

I go there because it's the only place I know where I can get the game exactly on release day and it is closest to my house. The gamestop I go to isn't that bad I like the people that work there but the one I used to go to is horrible and noone should ever have to shop there.

walbeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 walbeb

I remember getting Excitebots: Trick Racing, and I was the only one in the store. The damn clerk went on for about 20 minutes talking about WiiMotion Plus-compatible games (namely Wii Sports Resort & Tiger Woods 10) I hate when they try to shove pre-orders down your throat, which is usually EVERY TIME YOU GO THERE.

QWERTYCommander

I have not had that problem but i know what that is like in other stores when it comes to protection plans. I wish there were some gamestop workers in this thread to hear what they say.

EddySalim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EddySalim
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
The Gamestop near my house has video game fanatics working their but theres one in a different city who has some douche that doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
There is only one by my house with one employee I really like. He actually knew about games and had a metroid pin on his id card. We chatted it up about metroid for like 10 minutes when I picked up Metroid other m.
The-Tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The-Tree
Member since 2010 • 3315 Posts

I really like my local Gamestop, the workers are nice, the prices are fair, and they get pretty good pre-order bonuses. The only thing I don't do is trade games in, because I'm usually able to get more money on Ebay.

Krigen89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Krigen89
Member since 2003 • 3907 Posts
I used to go because, well, where else was I supposed to be able to buy used games "easily"? I mean, I don't want to spend time looking through personal ads and then trying to meet someone to save 5$... But now I mostly use Amazon's Marketplace, I get decent deals there, especially when I AM reselling one of my games... I can get easily 10$ more.