How has the advent of dating apps changed your dating life.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

I’d say about about 12 years ago if you told someone you created an online dating profile they would look at it like something to be ashamed of. Now with the boom of tinder, hinge, bumble and all the likes(word play)it’s hard to meet someone who doesn’t have a dating profile or several.

Me personally I was a late bloomer. Tbh I didn’t even really start dating until I first got to college around 19 and sort of would just have different experiences with girls I met throughout life but with long breaks in between meeting different girls I’d actually be romantic with. I started drinking and going to parties and that became my main wait of meeting women.

I got on dating apps about 6 years ago and basically just trolled because I didn’t take it seriously and at that time was content just meeting girls in my social life. It was until grad school where I seriously made a profile at about age 25.

It honestly triple started my game and being in a new city really helped with finding reasons to just go out. Definitely got a dating burnout over the years and in hindsight this probably was my first experience getting such a massive wave of interest from girls at the same time so it definitely was an emotional experience at times that I’ll save for another topic. Anyway some couple dozen one night dates and a few long term relationships later, I really began to scale back on dating apps. I must admit, it definitely got a little bit too easy to find reasons to go back and check the waters as they say, but I never can say I regret any of my experiences.

I look at it like, I grew up watching harem anime like tenchi and wanting to be like James Bond; and always wondered what would it be like to actually go through a phase in life of being a ladies man. I think realizing you can get girls without drinking is the most positive take away I’ve gained and dropped alcohol completely even on dates. Lastly I no longer relate to that sense of urgency a lot of men develop when they have been single for a long time or a lot of the delusional dating fantasies that trick a lot of the more inexperienced; so I guess for good or bad it supercharged a lot of reality into how i view dating and relationships.

How about for you all? How has your experience if any been on dating apps?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

I don't use them. I did an online profile one time and said I was unemployed and lived with my parents, just like George did in Seinfeld. I actually got a response. Kinda scared me, tbh.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mercenary848

@DEVILinIRON: Lol trolling is fun. Have you ever tried to make a profile seriously?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

@Mercenary848: Long long ago, in a galaxy far far away. Not too interested in making one. I kind of like my routine and it doesn't include dating. On the other hand, what could it hurt?

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

I have Bumble and Hinge. Since I am average and an ethnic minority in my location, I had difficulty getting matches on Bumble and Hinge. I didn't take it seriously until I updated my profile in November by adding one or two new photos and have been on 4 dates in the past 5 months.

Back then I used to think it was embarrassing to use online dating, as a kid I used to think it was for losers or rejects. But times have changed and more people are using online dating and it's trending.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I hate it. feels like shopping for people. You really have no idea if you have any chemistry with anyone until you meet up so it leads to a lot of first dates that don't go anywhere.

also just tons of flaky people who will cancel last minute, and if the girl is at all attractive, you know you will be competing directly with a bunch of other guys.

I've had multiple instances of having a date lined up with someone who seems interesting, then that person tell me before the date "oh I've just met someone else and want to see where it goes."

I know some people who've had success with online dating, but for me its just been endless frustration and disappointment. A lot of the people I have met up with, seem just as burned out as I am on the whole scene and its hard to create a spark when both people are in that jaded/burned out state of mind.

so I decided to "take a break" at the start of this year, and its been awesome.

I think I'd much rather get to know someone outside of the pressure of a first date the first time you meet them, and see if there is any chemistry/connection before going down that road. I don't think I make the best first impression, and it often takes me a while to warm up to people as well, so I just don't think I'm well suited to online dating.

Sadly, Its tough to do that once you leave school. so at this point, feels like I'm just stuck being single, and thats honestly OK.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

I've been overweight for a while so I haven't dated so I am pretty clueless, but the dating apps are kind of revolting to me.

My roommate uses them and he is looking for a girlfriend, but at the same time when he is dating someone he is still using the apps looking for other women, which seems kind of slimy to me and has gotten him in trouble (he literally had his phone out while his girl was over and was swiping).

Maybe dating has just changed? I guess you have to declare to your current date whether you are exclusive or not?

I don't know, if you want to date multiple people that's fine I guess just make it known or go join a swingers club or something. Honestly I just kind of wish we'd legalize prostitution lol.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Nope, still forever alone.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mercenary848

@DEVILinIRON: I think it is a experience that could occasionally add a bit more adventure to your life at time.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mercenary848

@omegamaster: interesting. I’m black and was in denver Colorado when I hit my stride. I definitely have heard apps can be challenging for a lot of guys if color. I’ve been told my whole life I’m pretty attractive(even tho it took me some time to believe it lol) and once I discovered how I truly want to present I think that helped and the talk game flowed.

I usually average about one date a week. Sounds like it’s been getting busier though for you, so I hope it’s good experiences!

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mercenary848

@with_teeth26: Do you date in a bigger city or smaller town?

I totally get everything you say, especially once you burn out. But I feel like in big cities is where you have more options.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

@omegamaster: interesting. I’m black and was in denver Colorado when I hit my stride. I definitely have heard apps can be challenging for a lot of guys if color. I’ve been told my whole life I’m pretty attractive(even tho it took me some time to believe it lol) and once I discovered how I truly want to present I think that helped and the talk game flowed.

I usually average about one date a week. Sounds like it’s been getting busier though for you, so I hope it’s good experiences!

One date a week?! That's definitely above average. It's hard for me (asian male) as data suggests that we are bottom of the table on dating apps and algorithms.

I am an introvert and often seen as shy, quiet and lacking confidence. My dating experience is quite low and only took it seriously late last year. My 4 first dates went well tbh, I managed to get their numbers and one of them gave me her Instagram. Generally, I do well chatting when it's one-to-one, but struggle when it's groups.

However, I still need to improve myself. And I honestly think going on dates has developed me.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mercenary848

@omegamaster: Oh man. Bro I live in Cali now and the Asian dudes clean up out here. Just gotta put on some muscle and get a nice haircut.

I totally understand the data is very dissuading but I think every guy has to go through their own personal system of development. It’s like a floodgate(I’m not just talking about on apps). I think once you figure out how you like to date and the type of girl you want to date then it will be easier to find.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 507 Posts

I was a big fan of Tinder for a while. My take home percentage skyrocketed compared to old school hunting grounds like a bar or Target. Sure, the constant social interactions and filtration system can get tiring, but you just take a break from there and pick it back up when you feel like it.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#16 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

Never tired online dating. Looked at a few profiles and it was women wanting tall men which I am not at 5'7.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#17 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1144 Posts

Though I’m sure you’ll find real people using a dating app, or website for that matter, they’re scams for the one seeking lasting intimacy. I’ve done brief research on dating sites and apps and they’ve pretty much concluded that they’re designed to get your money and keep you as long as they can, even going so low as using their employees to contact you as if they’re a real person who’s interested. Interesting enough, after canceling my monthly payment on a dating website, after having received no takers, people started messaging me. Coincidence? I think not.

I myself prefer meeting people in person. You get a better idea on if something truly likes you, and you can get to know them better. Plus overtime, I have gotten a lot better picking up the signs of women being sexually attracted to me. But I’m in a committed relationship here now since January.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I've never used them. Just feels very artificial and lacking the excitement of going out with someone you're already attracted to. Then again, it's the best outlet for people like me that are unable to meet people through their everyday life and social circles. In theory I should be using them but I just can't bring myself to even though I've been single my entire life.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#19  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Went on a few dates in college. I even had a relationship with a girl in college, but I broke it off because interest seemed to be waning on her part, and I wasn’t desperate.

Afterwards, I had a few girls from the university orbiting me, but they were liberal, and it wouldn’t work out in a long term situation. Made an eHarmony account. Met my wife through it. I’ve been married for nearly six years now, have a kid, and have known my wife for about a decade total.

Worked for me.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

@with_teeth26: Do you date in a bigger city or smaller town?

I totally get everything you say, especially once you burn out. But I feel like in big cities is where you have more options.

I'm in a urban area with about 2.5 million people. so can't blame it on small town/small dating pool unfortunately