How do you know when you need your wisdom teeth out?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gotdangit
Member since 2005 • 8151 Posts

Tell me your stories about your Wisdom teeth. How old were you when you got them out? How did you know that you needed them out?

All I know is that suddenly my back tooth starting hurting. It's my second molar, and it's not even completely out of the gums yet. My gums are a little swollen and it's been hurting for 2 days. I'm thinking that my Wisdom teeth is coming in wrong and it's finally time to get them out.

It might be some sort of infection in my gums, but I don't think it is, it doesn't seem infected. The pain goes away with Ibuprofen. Anyways I'm trying to get a dentist appointment, but I don't have dental insurance anymore so that sucks. Don't know what to do, but I think this may be it.

Stupid though because I saw the Dentist 8 months ago, and the dentist was telling me I might not even get my wisdom teeth, then told me they probably won't need to get removed because they're growing in straight. (wtf?)

So please tell me your stories, and help me figure out if this is my wisdom teeth coming in wrong.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
Go to a Dentist........
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gotdangit

I am, trying to go Monday if i can.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
You don't have to, it's a cosmetic procedure.
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gotdangit

You don't have to, it's a cosmetic procedure. Fightingfan
Are you serious? No it's not

Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

Go to a Dentist........Mafiree
This really.

I believe I get my teeth X-rayed every time I go to the Dentist (which is scheduled every 6-7 months or w/e), and after going through with my braces, they noticed that in one X-ray that my Wisdom Teeth were coming in sideways (idk how normal that is, but w/e), and scheduled for me to get them out. To be honest, I think my mouth was X-rayed a couple times when I was going through with my braces, and they never mentioned anything along the lines of them coming in. Though I guess that isn't really their job lol.

I could also feel them coming in; the tips of them sticking out of my gums. It's just like when you're a child and your teeth are coming in.

I could tell you about my experience afterwards if you want. Just figured answering the topic was enough lol.

gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gotdangit

Share your story. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos of people on drugs after getting their teeth out. I think they're so funny.

I'm thinking if I need to get them out to just stick through it.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]You don't have to, it's a cosmetic procedure. gotdangit

Ask your dentist, people have gone hundreds of year without removing their wisdom teeth(some people don't even get em). Unless your teeth are suffering the pain of a root canal, there's no point. People remove the wisdom teeth because they can cause discomfort for some people, and they can interrupt the alignment of your teeth over the years.
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gotdangit

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]You don't have to, it's a cosmetic procedure. Fightingfan

Ask your dentist, people have gone hundreds of year without removing their wisdom teeth(some people don't even get em). Unless your teeth are suffering the pain of a root canal, there's no point. People remove the wisdom teeth because they can cause discomfort for some people, and they can interrupt the alignment of your teeth over the years.

More often than not do wisdom teeth cause pain and grow in akwardly. I'm sure there are many people that can live with them, but many can't. I don't see how it's cosmetic, it doesn't have to do with looks, it has to do with discomfort and pain.

A lot of people get their wisdoms out early so that they don't have to deal with the pain later.

jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jesuschristmonk

Share your story. I've been watching a lot of youtube videos of people on drugs after getting their teeth out. I think they're so funny.

I'm thinking if I need to get them out to just stick through it.

gotdangit
Ok. Went to some random dentist/teeth puller people (idk if they're straight out dentists, or have some other scientific name) office with my mom. Got a needle put in me, and I just slowly went to sleep (felt so freaking weird). Woke up on my couch at my house, and my mom fed me hot dogs, and she shared the story of walking me to the car, then into the house and showing me some pictures of me passed out. Sadly I threw those hot dogs up after an hour or so (I guess the drugs screwed around with my stomach or w/e). For maybe 2-3 weeks (can't remember exactly how long it was), I had the holes in my gums, which felt very weird, and I had to clean them out really after anytime I ate something (the feeling of something inside those holes really bugged me). I would just go to some place with a mirror, and away from others (so they don't have to watch me) with a toothpick and flashlight, and just dig out the food or w/e (was rather challenging to do at first, because you have to try your best not to stab yourself, but I got the hang of it after a day or so). After that, the gums healed up, and the holes disappeared, as if they were never there, and I was back to normal, just that my teeth felt as if they moved inwards a bit lol.
Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
Some people keep them. I got 3 removed when they came in a couple years ago. They all came in crooked and were rubbing against my cheek so it was a very painful experience.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Step 1: Teeth hurt like a mother ****er

Step 2: Dentish tells you they are impacted

Step 3:wisdom-teeth.png

Mind you I've never had mine out. But if yours get impacted then you will need them removed.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
Dentist > X-ray > ??? > Profit
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fightingfan
More often than not do wisdom teeth cause pain and grow in akwardly. gotdangit
The pain doesn't affect everyone, and 'awkwardly' is an opinion, hence why it's a cosmetic procedure. If you don't have any pain, and choose to get them removed then you obviously did it for cosmetic reasons. It's like a circumcision, unless you're prone to yeast infections there's no point in a circumcision, it's strictly cosmetic.
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gotdangit

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]More often than not do wisdom teeth cause pain and grow in akwardly. Fightingfan
The pain doesn't affect everyone, and 'awkwardly' is an opinion, hence why it's a cosmetic procedure. If you don't have any pain, and choose to get them removed then you obviously did it for cosmetic reasons. It's like a circumcision, unless you're prone to yeast infections there's no point in a circumcision, it's strictly cosmetic.

So it's strictly cosmetic even though thousands get them removed to relieve the pain of teeth growing in wrong?

And the people that don't have any problems with the teeth don't get them removed for no reason. The people who get the removed are people that already have pain, or know there will probably be pain because they are growing sideways, horizontally, impacted, etc.

jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jesuschristmonk

Also: If you didn't already know, some people (not sure if it's most, but I'll just stick with some) may not even NEED to get their wisdom teeth out until they're much older than, I guess, the average age people get their's out (which I'm guessing in close to 17-20). My mom told me about a lady she works with (so she's probably in her 30's+), who was just getting hers out. Not sure if she forgot/never got them dealt with for all that time, or if they really didn't show signs until that time.

But if your very back teeth start hurting (or if you can feel the tips of them peeking out of your gums), then you'll want to get them removed, especially if you're like me, and had just gotten your braces off, then getting them out could slow down the teeth-moving process, or w/e (I'm no expert in teeth, just speaking from logic :P).

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fightingfan
he people who get the removed are people that already have pain, or know there will probably be pain because they are growing sideways, horizontally, impacted, etc.gotdangit
That's not true, parents remove their children wisdom teeth without any knowledge on the matter other then, that's the common thing to do(Exactly why most Americans are circumcised). The imperfect growth of teeth won't guarantee pain, people are born with crocked teeth all the time(mainly those of Hispanic/Latin origin). I would simply recommend waiting until(if they do) bother you, and then think about removing them, but simply removing them for the sake of 'oh they might bother me in the future' is a waste.
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gotdangit

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]he people who get the removed are people that already have pain, or know there will probably be pain because they are growing sideways, horizontally, impacted, etc.Fightingfan
That's not true, parents remove their children wisdom teeth without any knowledge on the matter other then, that's the common thing to do(Exactly why most Americans are circumcised). The imperfect growth of teeth won't guarantee pain, people are born with crocked teeth all the time(mainly those of Hispanic/Latin origin). I would simply recommend waiting until(if they do) bother you, and then think about removing them, but simply removing them for the sake of 'oh they might bother me in the future' is a waste.

I've never met anyone who had gotten their wisdom teeth removed for no reason. It's always because they're starting to feel pain and they're in their late teens.

I do think it's dumb to get them out early when you never know if they will come in crooked or hurt or even be helpful. But I guess rich people have nothing better to do with their kids.

shaggs12586

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shaggs12586
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
The reason it probably hurts is cause it makes your gums around the area swollen. It can also create a sort of flap with your gums where the tooth is growing in. Sometimes food can get stuck under that flap and I know first hand that is very painful. Every person is different when getting their wisdom teeth pulled. For me I waited till they were crowning a bit. Reason being is because the oral surgeon only needs a little bit of the tooth to grab onto. If you get it done before they crown then they will most likely have to cut your gums open to get to them. I had all of mine done at once and it really wasnt too bad. They were tender for about a 12 days but no really significant pain. Also listen to your oral surgeon about do's and dont's. While I never experienced dry socket I have heard horror stories about it. Hope this helps.
shaggs12586

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shaggs12586
Forgot to mention. It is not a cosmetic procedure. It is actually pretty important for most people. Reason being is after they grow in they will most likely put pressure against the teeth in front of them. After a while they can very very slowly ruin the alignment of even your front teeth. Giving you a bad smile. I had the choice of being put under for the procedure or just numbing everything. I chose the free head rush ha ha.
shaggs12586

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 shaggs12586
[QUOTE="gotdangit"]More often than not do wisdom teeth cause pain and grow in akwardly. Fightingfan

circumcision is not cosmetic. The reason it is done is because the foreskin can easily trap bacteria, fibers from boxers and other things. This can cause irritation, infection and other things. So no its not cosmetic. There is actually a great reason for circumcison. Also a guy can give you yeast infections and what not if he doesnt clean the foreskin thoroughly.
krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts
You go to the dentist and s/he tells you. I didn't need to get my wisdom teeth removed. They came in perfectly.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

X-Rays will tell the dentist, who will tell you. It's not too bad. I was 22 when I had mine removed, all four at once.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

well yeah they're ripping through your gums it's going to hurt.

lucky for me i had teeth pulled and braces so i had space for mine.mind you it hurt like a MF but when they came in they were fine.

but if it's bothering you,you should go get a check up and sucks and see the results

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I had all 4 removed about 3 weeks ago. Went to the dentist and he said I would have to have all 4 of them out...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

I had mine removed when I was 18. Only my bottom two were coming in. I don't have any wisdom teeth up top. I had one wisdom tooth that was coming in perpendicular to my other molar and the other was coming in just slightly off. Decided to get them removed. I didn't swell terribly, but the pain was terrible the first two days.