How do you feel during valentines day.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

I am getting older now, and ill admit when I was younger I used to feel a slight insecurity about this holiday. Now I honestly didn't even acknowledge it within the grand scheme of my life.

IDK just thinking of my last couple of valentines day they were all so different.

2014: spent the night with a chick because neither of us wanted to be alone

2015: In a new city and already lonely, this day felt pretty rough. Pretty sure I just drink myself to sleep.

2016: Went on a date with a girl I was really into and had a blast, but the relationship dissolved after

2017: I was single and wanted to do something, but ended up just going to a party and getting drunk with my friend and her friends.

2018: I am 25 now and honestly just can't even justify getting worked up about it. I have kind of outgrown holidays in general, but this one just feels more redunant. Also I am going through a bit of a sober week(been drinking a lot this month), but I dont even feel like drinking eventhough everyone else is getting plastered.

How about you guys?

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#2 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

2018: First year alone, but guess i went to my family to a hotel to drink. Got drunk. Honestly, enjoying me being single this year. Too much crap in my life and not really in the mood to be with anyone.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I always get reminded of a particular someone I kicked off a romantic relationship on a Valentine's Day with. Good memories, but they degraded into horrible depressing ones. Needless to say, I'm not the happiest individual whenever this holiday occurs.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

don't really care about it

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts
Loading Video...

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

With my hands...duh!

imnotthebest90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By imnotthebest90
Member since 2018 • 15 Posts

im feeling very bad :(

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Single. So I feel indifferent. A bit....frustrated, but indifferent...

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Did my duty, but think it's a stupid waste of money, honestly. If you love someone, they shouldn't need some greeting card holiday to appreciate it. Both of your actions should show it often.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@Mercenary848: I'm kind of the opposite, I never gave a crap about it when I was younger, but lately it's been getting to me a bit more. I dunno, maybe it's just because I had to work this year so I got to witness everyone else getting ready and buying stuff for a romantic night or maybe it's because I had a not so great run-in with someone I've been trying to get out of my head, but this year was kinda rough. I think if you can just ignore it it's easier to let it not get to you, but sometimes that's easier said than done.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

i tend to do nothing because **** you society and your expectations on what a "good husband" is supposed to do.

this year i did buy my wife some new earrings to replace one she lost a few months ago.

neither of us like to try to go out that night because we don't want the hassle of dealing w/ places that are crowded and all that.

dabwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dabwolf
Member since 2018 • 8 Posts

@Mercenary848: I always have a date on Valentines day, February 14th!

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By theone86

@comp_atkins said:

i tend to do nothing because **** you society and your expectations on what a "good husband" is supposed to do.

this year i did buy my wife some new earrings to replace one she lost a few months ago.

Dude, that is horribly unromantic. "here, spouse-person, I have acquired replacement adornments for the ones you had previously misplaced. Let us commence with procreation." I mean, I get that the whole obligatory part can be anxiety-inducing, but I think I'd rather risk doing something that she didn't particularly want than risk that she really was hoping for some gesture and just ended up disappointed. But that's just me.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

@theone86 said:
@comp_atkins said:

Dude, that is horribly unromantic. "here, spouse-person, I have acquired replacement adornments for the ones you had previously misplaced. Let us commence with procreation." I mean, I get that the whole obligatory part can be anxiety-inducing, but I think I'd rather risk doing something that she didn't particularly want than risk that she really was hoping for some gesture and just ended up disappointed. But that's just me.

lol.

it's not really like that at all.

the romantic / unexpected stuff happens throughout the year, just might not be on the day that it is expected ( otherwise how is it unexpected? )

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 theone86

@comp_atkins said:
@theone86 said:
@comp_atkins said:

lol.

it's not really like that at all.

the romantic / unexpected stuff happens throughout the year, just might not be on the day that it is expected ( otherwise how is it unexpected? )

That is true. It's not like doing something when it's expected means you can't do something when it's not, though, and sometimes expected gestures can be just as romantic (you're not going to stiff her on her birthday and then surprise her three months later, right?) Ah, I didn't mean to get all up in your business, it just seemed comical to me.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@theone86 said:

I think I'd rather risk doing something that she didn't particularly want than risk that she really was hoping for some gesture and just ended up disappointed. But that's just me.

But if it's something that she doesn't want, and the person knows she's not a fan of said thing... then why risk doing it anyway? That can come off not only as disrespectful to how they feel, but it also can seem like the person isn't listening to what their partner wanted.

If both sides of a relationship is open and honest with each other, there should be no risk involved...period. It seems like from his post that they are not big on the cliches that are associated with Valentine's Day (candy, overpriced flowers, crowded restaraunts, etc.) For some people, being romantic with each other isn't just limited to big, grandiose gestures one day out of the year.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 theone86

@hallenbeck77 said:
@theone86 said:

I think I'd rather risk doing something that she didn't particularly want than risk that she really was hoping for some gesture and just ended up disappointed. But that's just me.

But if it's something that she doesn't want, and the person knows she's not a fan of said thing... then why risk doing it anyway? That can come off not only as disrespectful to how they feel, but it also can seem like the person isn't listening to what their partner wanted.

If both sides of a relationship is open and honest with each other, there should be no risk involved...period. It seems like from his post that they are not big on the cliches that are associated with Valentine's Day (candy, overpriced flowers, crowded restaraunts, etc.) For some people, being romantic with each other isn't just limited to big, grandiose gestures one day out of the year.

That's true. If she really does hate Valentine's day that's one thing and I wouldn't do something then. However, I think sometimes people say they don't want to make a big deal out of this occasion or that, but secretly they're hoping the other person does something. Not necessarily something grand, or even flowers and chocolate, but something. If you do something and she was fine with nothing then at worst you come off as corny, if you do nothing and she wanted something then it's a disappointment. Call it the Pascal's wager of Valentine's day.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@theone86: I hear you. That's one of the things I hated when I was single--saying one thing, but secretly meaning another. My abilities are powerful and many, but I still can't master mindreading. Even worse were those who say they don't want something big, but get heated at you when you don't get them what they really wanted:

"Hi, honey! Surprise, I'm taking you to Six Flags today!"

"I thought you were buying tickets to the Bahamas!"

"Wait, wha--? I'm only a junior in high school, I don't have that kind of money..."

"Get the hell outta here, with you trifling, broke-ass self!"

Don't miss the dating life at all.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 theone86

@hallenbeck77:

There are too many people who just suck at communicating, probably at least part of the reason there are so many divorces. The Valentine's thing doesn't bother me so much because I think a lot of the people who say they don't want to do anything, actually mean it, but are more disappointed than they realize when the other person doesn't do anything. Plus, I like the whole getting cred for being corny thing. What really bothers me is when it's something really important and people expect you to be a mind-reader. If you want someone to know something or do something but they just consistently disappoint you that's a huge clue that they probably aren't getting the hints and aren't going to anytime soon.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#21 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

I feel lonely. lol

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

I've accepted being single what seems like a long time. Also started a different position in my job this week. Took a nap after work. Then chilled with friends in my bible study group. There really wasn't any time to spend being upset of not having a woman. And the only thing I was looking forward to. Was to give a nice card to my parents that I know they'll love.

I have plenty of things going on in and around my life to keep myself occupied. So when holidays come by and the year progresses. I don't really sweat being single. If I got the money and time, I can go out and do whatever I want to. Likewise in the coming weeks. I'm just gonna pack a bag, and chill in the woods or something on the weekend. And when I got cash to spare. I'll buy plane tickets to spend another weekend in Florida.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@theone86: That's the key to any good relationship -- communication and honesty. Sometimes people can't handle the truth, or can't pick up things and that's when the relationship can go south.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Spend it with my wife. we Would've gone out to celebrate but the weather has been pretty bad lately so we just stayed home.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

Everyday is Valentine's Day. No need to celebrate on just one day and wait until next year arrives.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

Watched a rom-com of my girlfriend's choosing. She cooked dinner, then we played Overcooked together. Simple times :)

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Felt the same as usual, I bought my right hand a lovely dinner though.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#28 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Just another institution of systematic patriarchal oppression. You think you can stick a woman with an arrow and get laid? Think again.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

These

@tocool340 said:

Single. So I feel indifferent. A bit....frustrated, but indifferent...

@speedfreak48t5p said:

I feel lonely. lol

@davillain- said:

Everyday is Valentine's Day. No need to celebrate on just one day and wait until next year arrives.

stephhhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 stephhhw
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

@hallenbeck77:that's so true

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Just another day. When you realize it's a forced, fabricated date that completely undermines the basis of a true relationship -- you have no issues with treating it as any other day (Wednesday this year).

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I popped the question this valentine's Day, it's always been a pretty good day for me

Avatar image for deactivated-5d693385560c3
deactivated-5d693385560c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d693385560c3
Member since 2012 • 666 Posts

No different than any other day to me.

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

Well, nothing special. Other than that, mixed emotions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#35 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

The wife and I are pretty spontaneous in our displays of affection. That being said, since we're both self-employed, the beginning of the year is always a boatload of work and Valentine's just let's us point at one another and say "hey, it's a 'special' day...no drowning on work today" and go out and do something fun...well, that and spend money on each other we wouldn't accept having spent on ourselves otherwise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#36 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@thehig1 said:

I popped the question this valentine's Day, it's always been a pretty good day for me

Very nice. Memorable and easy to remember the date :p My plan was to get married on 12/12/12 but sadly it didn't work out and we ended up getting married on May 1st, which is a national holiday so most of our clients count on us not working that day anyway.

JohnnyGT1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JohnnyGT1
Member since 2012 • 147 Posts

I never cared for it. My fiancee doesn't either but she does make some really good homemade chocolate though. I don't see the point when I was back home and I still don't see the point now since Valentine starts with the guy first and than next month is the women turn.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

@thehig1 said:

Oh snap, congrats man!

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Mercenary848: cheers you too, not a bad day to do it either

Done it in Lanzarote which was nice

France38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 France38
Member since 2018 • 32 Posts

It was just an ordinary day

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

Had a really good meal together with my Wife and Daughter.