How come BLACK PANTHER wins 3 OSCAR's?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
Member since 2018 • 557 Posts

Mediocre movie at best... imo. Avengers, Thors, Spidy, Cap America, Ant Mans, Pools were more funny and better movies than Black Panther. Hell Civil War was more awesome than Black Panther.

Discuss.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts

Looking at the categories it won under it makes sense.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@volsung said:

Looking at the categories it won under it makes sense.

Yeah. These kinds of movies do well in technical awards.

-Byshop

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56226 Posts

Black Panther was a good movie, perhaps bordering on great, but it wasn’t the best movie of the year. I’d argue Michael B. Jordan deserved a nomination for his role as Killmonger however and his character had a purpose. Black Panther was lucky it was nominated for Best Picture at all. No way it deserved to win it and Infinity War was miles better & enjoyable then I did for Black Panther.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@carljohnsoncj said:

Mediocre movie at best... imo. Avengers, Thors, Spidy, Cap America, Ant Mans, Pools were more funny and better movies than Black Panther. Hell Civil War was more awesome than Black Panther.

Discuss.

So any reason why you "forgot" the categories, Best costumes, Best Score and Best Production Design. which are the ones Black Panther won the Oscars in? or wait did you bring a fishing pole instead ;)

Also as someone else mentioned, it´s not a surprise that Black Panther won those, since it´s not the first or last time a movie like that won those categories.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@davillain-: I thought Micheal B Jordan was boring and WAY overrated in BP. I'd much rather he was killed off early in the movie instead of Andy Serkis who was actually entertaining and interesting to watch.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7319 Posts
Loading Video...

It won technical awards, you know, like Suicide Squad did a few years back. But if you want a decent explanation why Black Panther deserved the Best Picture nomination over say, Infinity War, this video does a better breakdown than I ever could. Not sure if I did this right, but skip to 4:40 if it doesn't automatically.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

So, I guess BP really did suck. Good thing I didn't watch the movie.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

@Byshop: A marvel movie has never won any of these awards ... it's called Pandering.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

Because Jada Smith cries one year.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@judaspete: Except he does a shitty job. Better choreography? Lol um no. The CGI was also just plain bad at times.

Not to mention all the costumes in BP were also in IW.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@carljohnsoncj: Maybe it's karma to balance out the trolls who tried to sink the film via reviews before it even came out because they just had to "own the libs" or whatever.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@blackhairedhero said:

@Byshop: A marvel movie has never won any of these awards ... it's called Pandering.

Well I meant comic book/superhero movies in general.

The original Superman - Visual Effects

Tim Burton's Batman - Art Direction

Dick Tracy - Original Song, Makeup, Art Direction

MiB - Makeup

Road to Perdition - Cinemtography

Dark Knight - Supporting Actor (duh), Editing

Suicide Squad - Makeup/hairstyling

And no, Black Panther isn't the first Marvel movie to win an Oscar. The first that is technically part of the modern MCU maybe, but Big Hero 6 got best animated feature. Spiderman 2 got Visual Effects.

@blackhairedhero said:

@judaspete: Except he does a shitty job. Better choreography? Lol um no. The CGI was also just plain bad at times.

Saying that IW borrowed some designs from BP isn't really a vote in its favor over BP.

-Byshop

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blackhairedhero

@Byshop: Big hero 6 is Disney Pixar.

Yes it is the FIRST and ONLY movie in the Marvel cinematic universe to get nominated.

The costume argument pretty much seals the deal. IW has nearly every costume from BP and then some. I'm not sure why you can't call it for what it is?

It's Pandering.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@blackhairedhero: I get what youresayi,g and agree somewhat, but the costume thing isn't really helping your cause any and just makes your argument look weak and frankly stupid. The costumes in BP were great and they were created for BP, just because the costumes ended up in IW doesn't mean IW gets the credit for them.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7319 Posts

@blackhairedhero said:

Alright, but the most important point he made was how in Black Panther the villain actually causes the hero to shift his perspective and change the course of his nations trajectory going forward.

And your second point, IW had no costume design. Everything in it was designed by other people, for other movies. It did a good job mashing it all together, and if "mashing aesthetics from previous works together" was an award category, IW would take that hands one down.

But this leads to another point about the two movies: IW requires you've seen at least a few other films in the MCU to really be compelling, whereas BP could be enjoyed by a total newb.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts
@lonewolf604 said:

Because Jada Smith cries one year.

One of the reasons why I stopped watching Gotham.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

How come BLACK PANTHER wins 3 OSCAR's?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@blackhairedhero said:

Yes it is the FIRST and ONLY movie in the Marvel cinematic universe to get nominated.

The costume argument pretty much seals the deal. IW has nearly every costume from BP and then some. I'm not sure why you can't call it for what it is?

It's Pandering.

That's even less true than your previous statement. All the Iron Mans have been nominated. The Avengers. Winter Soldier. GotG 1 and 2. Dr Strange. All nominated for visual effects.

Big Hero 6 is a Disney Pixar film based on a Marvel comic.

So no, I don't blame the pandas. :P

-Byshop

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@carljohnsoncj said:

Discuss.

So any reason why you "forgot" the categories Best costumes and Best Score and Best Production Design. it won them in? or wait did you bring a fishing pole instead ;)

Those categories are all among those people next week can´t remember. :)

Next week? That's being generous.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Byshop said:
@blackhairedhero said:

It's Pandering.

That's even less true than your previous statement. All the Iron Mans have been nominated. The Avengers. Winter Soldier. GotG 1 and 2. Dr Strange. All nominated for visual effects.

-Byshop

Yeah he's clearly wrong.

Although a lot of weirdos are whining that so many Blacks or Black movies won Oscars this year.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@Byshop: @zaryia: Excuse me it was the first Marvel movie to be nominated for best picture and the first to WIN any Oscar.

Again it is what it is, Pandering.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#23 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19587 Posts

BP deserves all 3 of those Oscars, for costume, score and production design.

The most undeserving win is Best Editing for Bohemian Rhapsody... it had some terrible editing. I have no idea how that won for editing of all things.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jag85

@blackhairedhero: Nope. Like Byshop said, Big Hero 6 got best animated feature and Spiderman 2 got Visual Effects. Which makes BP the third Marvel movie to win an Oscar.

And the categories that BP won were fully deserved. The costumes, production sets and score were creative, and quite unlike anything seen before in other superhero movies.

So no, there is no conspiracy here.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@Jag85: Wrong again.

Big hero 6 is not part of the Marvel cinematic universe and Spiderman was done by Sony. BP is the first movie of it's kind to win anything. Seriously I'm not sure how you all can be this dense but whatever. I saw this coming as soon as lefties cried about diversity. So let the pandering begin.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Byshop  Moderator

@blackhairedhero said:

@Jag85: Wrong again.

Big hero 6 is not part of the Marvel cinematic universe and Spiderman was done by Sony. It us the first movie of it's kind to win anything. Seriously I'm not sure how you all can be this dense but whatever. I saw this coming as soon as lefties cried about diversity. So let the pandering begin.

Keep it civil.

Nobody said they were part of the MCU, but the fact remains that this is not the first Marvel movie to win an Oscar. Just the first MCU movie, although many in the MCU have been nominated.

-Byshop

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@Byshop: And Big hero 6 is nothing like BP.

It is firstly a Pixar movie. Many of which have won.

Herrinha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Herrinha
Member since 2018 • 18 Posts

@carljohnsoncj: I'm not surprised, the quality of the film is at its best, as always with Marvel, but nobody has yet canceled geopolitical sentiments. And this year there are no technical masterpieces (as for me).

Hekarim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hekarim
Member since 2018 • 21 Posts

@herrinha: Because how can they not win the Oscars related to the technical part? Fully join Byshop!

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

People actually care about the oscars?

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

There were several underserved wins last night, but I thought it deserved the awards it won. Not sure I’d give it a best pic nom, but it definitely wasn’t the worst movie nominated. Greenbook and Bohemian are turds.

Also can’t stop laughing at the guy saying Black Panther doesn’t deserve a costume win because some of them (not all of them) were reused in IW. Dumbest shit I’ve ever read.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6

@blackhairedhero: Bro you’re not making any real arguments. You’re just moving goal posts on what didn’t happen at past award shows and throwing out the word pandering.

You might not agree with it, but a lot of people connected with this movie in a big way. People came out in droves to see it. It tackles important and relevant themes, and handles them better than most other superhero movies.

People have been complaining for years about comic book movies not getting proper recognition at the Oscars, and now that one finally has it’s, “Oh, not that one.” It’s personally not even my favorite this year, but I’m glad it’s getting so much recognition. The MCU has been a huge part of my life, and I’m happy it’s now gaining more respect from a wider group of people.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Worst year for movies in film history. Seriously, for a mediocre superhero movie to get a nom for Best Picture, you know it says something about the industry’s quality. Luckily it didn’t win. That said though, even the categories it did win are questionable. ‘Music, costume, and production’? You trying to tell me Black Panther stood out in each of these categories? No way. It beat out a period piece? Come on...

This begs the question. What good movies came out this year? I can’t fhink of any - especially Oscar worthy.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@Ross_the_Boss6: Their pretty valid arguments. The fact not one MCU movie has ever won an award eventhough it's been going on for the past 10 years I'd say is fairly alarming. Again you can act as if it was this magical movie( in reality it was pretty average).

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#37 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

Welcome to 2019?

Real question, why should anyone care what received an Oscar?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jag85

@blackhairedhero: Nope. Big Hero 6 and Spider-Man 2 are Marvel movies, by virtue of the fact they're based on Marvel comics, regardless of which studios produced those movies. Marvel is much more than just the MCU. And for the record, Big Hero 6 was produced by Disney, not Pixar.

The movie won awards in categories it fully deserved to win. It had the best costumes, production sets and score of the year. I don't see what your issue is here.

As for its Best Picture nom, Black Panther is the first MCU movie to get it because it does things that have never been done before in other MCU movies. The whole Afrofuturist vision it presents is something that has never really been seen before on the big screen. It expresses socio-political viewpoints, something other MCU movies typically shy away from. It also has cultural relevance, particularly for African-American communities and African countries. In other words, it's not a typical superhero movie, but goes beyond that. That's what it takes for a superhero movie to get a BP nom.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts
@blackhairedhero said:

It's Pandering.

@Byshop said:
@blackhairedhero said:

It's Pandering.

-Byshop

No guys, Big Hero 6 is not a Pixar film.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#41 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Welcome to 2019?

Real question, why should anyone care what received an Oscar?

WAIT you do not care about the Oscars, but it´s the biggest deal since we landed on the moon and you should have been glued to the screen to watch the elite pat themselves on the back and agree how bad the world is :)

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@Jag85: Iron man deals with issues no super hero movie dealt with 10 years ago. Its special effects at the time were also revolutionary. Your argument has basically says it appeals to African American and handles progressive issues therefore it deserves to be nominated. It's funny you say that because in reality that's all the academy looks for. Movie's that pander progressive issues. To see not one movie in the MCU ever get nominated for best picture untill this is why nobody takes Hollywood and critics seriously anymore.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

A Quiet Place, Avengers IW + Annihilation - My top 3.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jag85

@blackhairedhero: Superhero movies weren't taken seriously 10 years ago. That was a different era. Since then, there haven't really been MCU movies actually tackling serious real-world issues the way Black Panther did (except for its prequel Civil War, where Black Panther was the best character). The MCU is the poster-child of superhero popcorn flicks, whether you like it or not. Black Panther got a Best Pic nom because it deviates from the typical MCU superhero popcorn flick formula and delves into darker, serious real-world issues.

And it has nothing to do with bipartisan politics. Vice, a biopic of the right-wing neocon Dick Cheney, got 8 nominations, more than Black Panther. Last year, The Darkest Hour, a biopic of the right-wing imperialist Winston Churchill, got 6 nominations, again more than Black Panther. And there have been numerous other right-wing conservative movies getting nominations. So no, there is no liberal conspiracy.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@Jag85: Iron man was taken pretty seriously. It also deals with the black market weapons trade( which actually is a real issue). Yes you also have Civil War and Winter Soldier. None of which were nominated. My point is there is no way BP is objectively superior to all of those movies outside of radical leftwing bias.

You bringing up a biopic on Cheney doesn't help your case as it was basically a Mockumentry. Showing rightwing politicians in a negative light is another automatic Oscar Nomination so thanks for proving my point. I wouldn't even call it a conspiracy. Just obvious left wing bias. And I can't believe you are actually arguing Hollywood doesn't have this?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jag85

@blackhairedhero: No, I'm saying the Academy never took superhero movies seriously ten years ago. That's why even The Dark Knight did not get a Best Picture nom, let alone Iron Man. As for Winter Soldier, I honestly don't think that deserves a Best Picture nomination, since that was just a dumbed-down Metal Gear Solid rip-off. Civil War, on the other hand, did deserve a Best Picture nomination, but that's only because of Black Panther. As far as I'm concerned, it is Black Panther's story arc that elevates Civil War into an Oscar-worthy movie. In other words, the only Oscar-worthy MCU movies in the last ten years are the two movies with central Black Panther story arcs: Civil War and of course Black Panther itself. In some ways, the Best Picture nomination for Black Panther could also be seen as a nod to his story arc in Civil War, which Black Panther builds upon.

I haven't seen Vice, so not sure whether it's glorifying or mocking Cheney. However, last year's Darkest Hour was definitely glorifying the right-wing prime minister Winston Churchill, while whitewashing his imperialist crimes against humanity. A few years ago, the right-wing neocon war movie American Sniper (which whitewashed neocon war crimes) also got 6 Oscar nominations, again more than Black Panther. And if the Oscars were so "woke", then why was #OscarsSoWhite even a thing a few years ago? The Academy may be more left-leaning today, but they certainly were not a few years ago. It's only in the last few years that the Academy started getting "woke".

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Byshop  Moderator

@jaydan said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

No guys, Big Hero 6 is not a Pixar film.

My bad for not fact checking him.

-Byshop

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Blackhairedhero

@Jag85: Ok dude honestly your so far gone it's hard to have an objective conversation with you. BP was average at best nowhere close to the MCU's best. To think that every year the MCU wasn't taken seriously untill now is hillarious. Maybe your right maybe it required a certain amount of pandering to be taken seriously.

And yes #Oscarsowhite is exactly why BP was nominated. That's my point. Nothing is more apologetic then a white guilt liberal and Hollywood is full of them. They must repent for their sins and kiss ass for the next 5 years.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6

Yes Hollywood is left leaning, but that’s the correct way to lean. We need to start being honest with ourselves and admit that one side of the aisle is just wrong most of the time.

Regardless, everyone approaches film criticism with a bias. To complain about it is dumb.