How can we stop traffic jams?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gonzafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Gonzafan
Member since 2008 • 1488 Posts

I really hate traffic jams, due to that there is too much cars. How can we stop the traffic jams?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

There is nothing you can do. Even if you raise the speed limit or add more lanes, traffic will always bunch up because people don't know how to drive in it.

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts
Lot's of alcohol.
Gonzafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Gonzafan
Member since 2008 • 1488 Posts

There is nothing you can do. Even if you raise the speed limit or add more lanes, traffic will always bunch up because people don't know how to drive in it.

Pirate700
So, do restriction machines that forces you to stop for a very short time, much like the purpose of the stop sign, work?
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
I was going to make a very offensive joke in this thread, but I do not want to get banned.
kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

Our local government need to spend money on better public transtortaion. People have to be willing to use public transportation and or bicycle to places. Besides that nothing really.

vgm007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 vgm007
Member since 2005 • 20931 Posts
It seems a lot of the congestion on highways is caused by lots of lane-changing during high-volume times, mostly from on-ramps. The problems could be alleviated with clever engineering and design, but never eliminated. That's my take.
Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10991 Posts

Don't Drive :D

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
stop mass production of automobiles.. and execute military strikes against all oil production companies.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pirate700

It seems a lot of the congestion on highways is caused by lots of lane-changing during high-volume times, mostly from on-ramps. The problems could be alleviated with clever engineering and design, but never eliminated. That's my take.vgm007
That's exactly the problem. Some people can't deal with the lane changes and whatnot and it causes congestion. Also more people need to take city streets when possible.

Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

jetpacks

dhyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dhyce
Member since 2003 • 5609 Posts

Breed less.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
Convince people they don't need to ----ing drive all the time? Or build monolithic city-buildings where people rarely have to leave them?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
Member since 2008 • 8225 Posts

Car pool?

http://www.jonathanhaynes.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/hitler.jpg

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

Car pool?

ZuluEcho14

:lol: That poster is grand.

But the real answer is Hover Cars.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CRS98

[QUOTE="ZuluEcho14"]

Car pool?

MissLibrarian

:lol: That poster is grand.

But the real answer is Hover Cars.

Then we'll have air traffic jams. I hope you like living without the sun.

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

Stop building suburbs and stop designing cities which are meant for cars. By eliminating the suburbs and concentrating on high density housing, it will also result in an easier time for cities to design mass transit to fulfill the needs of everyone and helpe eliminate quite a bit of the rush hour traffic on the road. However, everyone in this continent wants a house with a huge front and backyard even if it means they have to spend and hour or more commuting to work everyday in a car.
I blame it on the suburbs and people's love for cars and hate for mass transit and carpooling.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
I found the problem a while ago. What do cars drive on? Roads obviously. We get rid of the roads, we get rid of traffic.
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts
I hope you like living without the sun.CRS98
Of course I do I live in England. :P What about see-though Hover Pods instead, that are clear like bubbles, and let the light through? Or the mass adoption of Segways!
Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
Synchronize the lights?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pirate700

Stop building suburbs and stop designing cities which are meant for cars. By eliminating the suburbs and concentrating on high density housing, it will also result in an easier time for cities to design mass transit to fulfill the needs of everyone and helpe eliminate quite a bit of the rush hour traffic on the road. However, everyone in this continent wants a house with a huge front and backyard even if it means they have to spend and hour or more commuting to work everyday in a car.
I blame it on the suburbs and people's love for cars and hate for mass transit and carpooling.

carrot-cake

Suburbs have nothing to do with it. Traffic jams generally are on freeways.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

How about letting people use whatever transportation mode they please, and expanding the capacity of those different modes to adequately support the amount of people that choose to use them?

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 carrot-cake

[QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

Pirate700

Well how do most people get to work in the morning from the suburbs? I'm willing to bet a huge number of them use the freeway since its the fastest route to get to the centre of most cities.

daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts
There needs to be forethought and realistic planning in both freeways and public transport. Here in Sydney we have a major highway to the city from the West going into a traffic light 12ks from the CBD. We also have in my area 200,000 people moving in over the next 20 years, but there are only two entrances onto the same main road, which is already double capacity. Public transport also needs an overhaul. Why is there only 1 train every 30 mins when there is capacity for one every 10 minutes? This is a result of 20 years of the same, incompetent state government
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

carrot-cake

Well how do most people get to work in the morning from the suburbs? I'm willing to bet a huge number of them use the freeway since its the fastest route to get to the centre of most cities.

People work all over. Not just downtown. Again, suburbs or where anyone lives has nothing to do with congestion. Poor driving does.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

I really hate traffic jams, due to that there is too much cars. How can we stop the traffic jams?

Gonzafan

Teleporters.

carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 carrot-cake

[QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]Suburbs have nothing to do with it. Traffic jams generally are on freeways.

Pirate700

People work all over. Not just downtown. Again, suburbs or where anyone lives has nothing to do with congestion. Poor driving does.

So you're telling me that where someone lives and work has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of cars and therefore congestion on the roads and freeways? Yes poor driving is a factor in congestion but you cant say that location of where people live and work has nothing to do with congestion, that doesnt make sense.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CRS98
[QUOTE="CRS98"] I hope you like living without the sun.MissLibrarian
Of course I do I live in England. :P What about see-though Hover Pods instead, that are clear like bubbles, and let the light through? Or the mass adoption of Segways!

Oh, great! Now you want Segway traffic jams? Do we need to build Segway lanes, or will the Segway just takeover the roads like cars took over horse and carriage?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

carrot-cake

So you're telling me that where someone lives and work has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of cars and therefore congestion on the roads and freeways? Yes poor driving is a factor in congestion but you cant say that location of where people live and work has nothing to do with congestion, that doesnt make sense.

It does have nothing to do with it. You're either on the freeway or you aren't. Congestion is from people making lane changes or merging onto the freeway from onramps that don't have smart lights.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Drive a monster truck, they shouldn't bother you then.
xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xhellcatx
Member since 2006 • 9015 Posts
Horses. >_> idk my bff jill?
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 carrot-cake

[QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]People work all over. Not just downtown. Again, suburbs or where anyone lives has nothing to do with congestion. Poor driving does.

Pirate700

It does have nothing to do with it. You're either on the freeway or you aren't. Congestion is from people making lane changes or merging onto the freeway from onramps that don't have smart lights.

Right, so you're telling me that the volume of cars does not lead to congestion. Alright, I'm done.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Huge trucks that can ride on top of each other.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pirate700

Drive a monster truck, they shouldn't bother you then.markop2003
:lol: That would be awesome. Just drive over everyone and leave fire, explosions and death behind. It would serve two purposes.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="carrot-cake"]

carrot-cake

Right, so you're telling me that the volume of cars does not lead to congestion. Alright, I'm done.

The volume does help lead to it. That still has nothing to do with suburbia. How many people are on the freeway shouldn't change people's driving but it does. Poor driving is the main cause. One person having to slam on the break causes a ripple effect.

xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 xhellcatx
Member since 2006 • 9015 Posts
ok my serious answer, Stoplights that are better synchronized... or smart. Also, carpooling, or more public transport -ie busses, trains, subways, other rail systems. I would say more lanes as well but... that could also be problematic. *shrugs*
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Right, so you're telling me that the volume of cars does not lead to congestion. Alright, I'm done.carrot-cake
It dosn't, consider a long line of cars packed nose to tail, 10 miles long and five lanes wide. The column can still travel at 80mph the same as a single car by itself. In the same way as a large object can travel the same speed as a small one as long as you give it enough energy. The problem is not with the volume but with thier independence, probelms arise from people changing lanes or joining the freeway when space is not available, that disrupts the consistent flow.
JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JuggaloRandall
Member since 2010 • 8213 Posts
Allow drivers to carry and use hand gernades and RPG's. Nobody would drive.
Montaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Montaya
Member since 2005 • 4269 Posts

Well if you have a HMMWV with a .50 cal on it then you can do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaiGjBB-I2A

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Car pool?

ZuluEcho14

:lol: Get rid of all the stupid drivers? Theres really not much that can be done about traffic jams.

FuryX-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 FuryX-4
Member since 2009 • 409 Posts

If this world would be like Burnout, i'd would crash cars and reduce traffic jams :lol:

But stopping the traffic jams won't work. Best way is to come up a good solution before going to a lot of cars which could waste time waiting, planning shortcuts, or whatever it is.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Put little microchips in everyone's heads that will synchronize their driving so that everyone merges seamlessly in traffic and keeps the flow of cars moving.