Homeless Student Heads to Harvard

This topic is locked from further discussion.

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

Link to the story.

http://www.gnn.com/article/homeless-student-heads-to-harvard/539624?icid=main|main|dl2|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gnn.com%2Farticle%2Fhomeless-student-heads-to-harvard%2F539624

-

I think it's pretty empowering. To those of you who think you got it bad, there's someone who has it worse.

EDIT: :? Won't let me make the link neater...

jazzkrotch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jazzkrotch
Member since 2009 • 827 Posts
Ability, motivation, and scholarships can lead to great things.
BayAreaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BayAreaX
Member since 2009 • 1809 Posts
good for her
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
So when's the movie coming out?
ieatnoobs18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ieatnoobs18
Member since 2009 • 1190 Posts
Harvard gives free rides to people who make under 40k a year annually i think, But you have to get accepted.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="killab2oo5"]

Link to the story.

http://www.gnn.com/article/homeless-student-heads-to-harvard/539624?icid=main|main|dl2|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gnn.com%2Farticle%2Fhomeless-student-heads-to-harvard%2F539624

-

I think it's pretty empowering. To those of you who think you got it bad, there's someone who has it worse.

EDIT: :? Won't let me make the link neater...

She obviously is gifted though not just with drive, but intelligence.. She is obviously not the average person with not only able to almost make victorian but all with a struggling home.. This isn't to downplay, its possible.. But highly unlikely, she is obviously a extremely intelligent person.. Its like people who admire Benjamin Franklin's rag to riches story.. Though people alot of times fail to realize that the man was born with a intelligence that was a great deal higher than the average person..
LK-47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LK-47
Member since 2009 • 1167 Posts
I don't get those grades and I live in a nice home. :( Ehh, there's worse cases than that though.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
That's awesome.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Good for her.
jacintos09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 jacintos09
Member since 2007 • 1466 Posts

So when's the movie coming out?II_Seraphim_II

Actually, it already is a movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338109/ . But it's cool that this girl was able to succeed as well :D

shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

That is very awesome.

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

She obviously is gifted though not just with drive, but intelligence.. She is obviously not the average person with not only able to almost make victorian but all with a struggling home.. This isn't to downplay, its possible.. But highly unlikely, she is obviously a extremely intelligent person.. Its like people who admire Benjamin Franklin's rag to riches story.. Though people alot of times fail to realize that the man was born with a intelligence that was a great deal higher than the average person.. sSubZerOo
I think it's possible for anyone who really wants to. It's all about motivation.

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13 k_smoove
Member since 2006 • 11954 Posts

I hope she goes on to do even better things in life.

Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

Somebody with street smarts AND book smarts? Interesting... never occured to me that you could have both.

Memberino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Memberino
Member since 2004 • 2253 Posts
Why they hell did her mother just leave her?
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

Too bad most homeless people aren't gifted learners...

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pianist

I think it's possible for anyone who really wants to. It's all about motivation.

killab2oo5

I disagree. Motivation is very important, but many people just don't have the natural intellectual ability to do what this girl did, including plenty of people who aren't homeless...

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

good for her she was at the bottom already so she knew she had to give it her all in school and it got her a 4.0 gpa

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
That's pretty much... amazing.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts
Oh goody goody.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] She obviously is gifted though not just with drive, but intelligence.. She is obviously not the average person with not only able to almost make victorian but all with a struggling home.. This isn't to downplay, its possible.. But highly unlikely, she is obviously a extremely intelligent person.. Its like people who admire Benjamin Franklin's rag to riches story.. Though people alot of times fail to realize that the man was born with a intelligence that was a great deal higher than the average person.. killab2oo5

Going from rags to riches often requires three things:

1. Giftedness in some way (intelligence, artistic ability, physique, etc)
2. Motivation
3. Luck

That last one tends to be especially important. A lot of successful people would just be average Joes if it wasn't for some random event that inspired them or just simply being in the right place at the right time.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 magnax1

One thing that a find out that was pretty interesting is that actually a pretty large amount of people that go to ivy league schools, end up below the poverty line. Im not sure if its true, but i was told that it was because they tend to set there goals to high, and end up failing. The truth about it is a good education does only so much when it comes to being succesful in a work environment. The more important things are communication skills and innovation.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pianist

2. Motivation
3. Luck

That last one tends to be especially important. A lot of successful people would just be average Joes if it wasn't for some random event that inspired them or just simply being in the right place at the right time.

gameguy6700

Absolutely true. You can't be rags to riches success story without all three of those, and you have very little control over #1 and #3. Something that most conservatives don't understand when pointing to these people as proof that every poor person who doesn't make it is just lazy.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 magnax1

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

2. Motivation
3. Luck

pianist

Absolutely true. You can't be rags to riches success story without all three of those, and you have very little control over #1 and #3. Something that most conservatives don't understand when pointing to these people as proof that every poor person who doesn't make it is just lazy.

Thats not exactly true, I mean it is in a case like this person it is, but if you are extremely poor and want to move up in life, you can got into the military to pay for college, or even just so you can get a better job. The military can really help people in poverty out, you can get cheaper insurance when you are out, and it look pretty good on your resume.

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Great for her! =)
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="pianist"]

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

2. Motivation
3. Luck

magnax1

Thats not exactly true, I mean it is in a case like this person it is, but if you are extremely poor and want to move up in life, you can got into the military to pay for college, or even just so you can get a better job. The military can really help people in poverty out, you can get cheaper insurance when you are out, and it look pretty good on your resume.

Unless of course you don't qualify for the military due to medical or mental health issues (or because you ****ed up on the "don't ask, don't tell" policy).

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pianist

magnax1

Firstly, not everybody is a good fit for the military. Secondly, it doesn't matter if you get a free ride to college if you are not intellectually inclined. Thirdly, you still need a great deal of luck to do any better than average in this society. His point stands. You need aptitude, motivation, AND luck to be a rags to riches success story.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="pianist"]

gameguy6700

Unless of course you don't qualify for the military due to medical or mental health issues (or because you ****ed up on the "don't ask, don't tell" policy).

Lol very true, my uncle who was mentally insane, almost got drafted for vietnam. But he acted like his cataracts were much worse than they really were, they thought he was practically blind. Wich is exactly what im gonna do when they try to draft me... "*cough* *cough*..... my asthma.... so suffocating.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

pianist

Firstly, not everybody is a good fit for the military. Secondly, it doesn't matter if you get a free ride to college if you are not intellectually inclined. Thirdly, you still need a great deal of luck to do any better than average in this society. His point stands. He is correct. You need aptitude, motivation, AND luck to be a rags to riches success story.

You need motivation to get from rags to riches, and you dont need a whole lot of intellectuallity to get through college. There are plenty of people who are average and below average mentally that get through college, even if there grades aren't outstanding. But pretty much everybody except the very richest need a little bit of luck to get anywhere in life. But the majority of people kind find the sort of luck they need after a while if they are working hard.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pianist

You need motivation to get from rags to riches, and you dont need a whole lot of intellectuallity to get through college. There are plenty of people who are average and below average mentally that get through college, even if there grades aren't outstanding. But pretty much everybody except the very richest need a little bit of luck to get anywhere in life. But the majority of people kind find the sort of luck they need after a while if they are working hard.

magnax1

People who simply "get through" college don't typically go on to do anything noteworthy in their lives. And if you do nothing noteworthy, you won't become wealthy, unless you happen to catch a lucky break (there's that word again) and win the lotto or something. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people believe all of us are on equal footing when it comes to potential success, and that any person is capable of becoming wealthy by "working hard" when there are millions upon millions of examples of this failing to work, with only a few exceptions here and there where it does work.

Motivation is only one part of the formula. Hard work alone will NOT make you a financial success story.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

pianist

People who simply "get through" college don't typically go on to do anything noteworthy in their lives. And if you do nothing noteworthy, you won't become wealthy, unless you happen to catch a lucky break (there's that word again) and win the lotto or something. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people believe all of us are on equal footing when it comes to potential success, and that any person is capable of becoming wealthy by "working hard" when there are millions upon millions of examples of this failing to work, with only a few exceptions here and there where it does work.

Motivation is only one part of the formula. Hard work alone will NOT make you a financial success story.

Its just amazes me that you believe this. You dont have to be extremely succesful in college to be succseful in life. There are a ton of jobs out there that would take average people, just because there is a shortage of people who are qualified. Nursing is a pretty good example. Nurses make pretty good money, at least depending on the type of nurse you become.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="pianist"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

magnax1

Firstly, not everybody is a good fit for the military. Secondly, it doesn't matter if you get a free ride to college if you are not intellectually inclined. Thirdly, you still need a great deal of luck to do any better than average in this society. His point stands. He is correct. You need aptitude, motivation, AND luck to be a rags to riches success story.

If your goal is to be middle class, then yes, that's true. If you want to be upper class though, or at least significantly more successful than the average person, you need all three qualities. Even if graduating from Podunk State College is easy, that doesn't mean that your mediocre intelligence is good enough to move you up through the ranks in a career. If you had to work your ass off for a 2.0 GPA then chances are you're not going to get very far in the real world. Besides, it's no secret that a person who attends Harvard business school is going to have more and better opportunities than a person who graduates from some bottom tier state school.

Very often the luck involved in making a person successful comes before they start their career. Michael Jackson wouldn't be an extremely successful entertainer had it not been for the fact that he was born in a family of performers. Bill Gates got interested in computers after he used one in his middle school's computer lab. Guess how many middle schools in the country had a computer lab at that time? One. Stephen Colbert only got started in entertainment because of a professor he met at the college he transferred to (had he chosen not to transfer or chosen a different school he probably wouldn't be hosting one of the most successful shows on television right now). Using my own dad as an example, who is a CFO of a large multinational, he only got into accounting because when he was a young teen he had to go over to his dad's store for awhile. Bored he got himself into trouble and one of the managers put him to work doing some basic accounting work in order to keep him from causing any more disturbances. It was then that my dad discovered his love for accounting. Had it not been for that event who knows what he would have chosen to do instead.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

So when's the movie coming out?II_Seraphim_II

Haha. Probably next week.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="pianist"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

magnax1

Its just amazes me that you believe this. You dont have to be extremely succesful in college to be succseful in life. There are a ton of jobs out there that would take average people, just because there is a shortage of people who are qualified. Nursing is a pretty good example. Nurses make pretty good money, at least depending on the type of nurse you become.

It's not that you have to be extremely successful in college to be successful in life. It's that if you don't have the intelligence or motivation to do well in college then you probably don't have the intelligence or motivation to do well in life either. Motivation is something that can change though. Intelligence isn't. Hence the reason why if you're working your ass off and only barely graduate college you probably won't be going far in life.

Also, we're talking about rags to riches here. Being a nurse doesn't make you rich, not by a long shot.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="pianist"]

gameguy6700

It's not that you have to be extremely successful in college to be successful in life. It's that if you don't have the intelligence or motivation to do well in college then you probably don't have the intelligence or motivation to do well in life either. Motivation is something that can change though. Intelligence isn't. Hence the reason why if you're working your ass off and only barely graduate college you probably won't be going far in life.

Also, we're talking about rags to riches here. Being a nurse doesn't make you rich, not by a long shot.

You dont need to be intellegent to suceed in college if you have motivation. There are few people, who if they really tried, would barely make a passing average in college. Maybe only 10%. Nurse is rich enough to me, they make something like 45/50 thousand I think, plus there are many other profesions that have the same situation as nursing that make more money. You could even become an electrician, no college needed. And they make in the 55/60 thousand range.

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]So when's the movie coming out?jacintos09

Actually, it already is a movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338109/ . But it's cool that this girl was able to succeed as well :D

Yeah, but these are two different people. I actually watched this one in 7th grade about 4 years ago.
vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts

People like that make me feel bad for not trying my hardest throughout high school.

Congrats to her.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

magnax1

You dont need to be intellegent to suceed in college if you have motivation. There are few people, who if they really tried, would barely make a passing average in college. Maybe only 10%. Nurse is rich enough to me, they make something like 45/50 thousand I think, plus there are many other profesions that have the same situation as nursing that make more money. You could even become an electrician, no college needed. And they make in the 55/60 thousand range.

The average salary in the US is, I believe, around $45,000. So a nurse is not rich by any measure. Electricians may not need a college education but they still have a lot technical education that must be completed before they can get licensed. Besides, making $60k is hardly a rags-to-riches story. It's just a "I got out of poverty" story. For rags to riches you would have to take someone living in poverty and suddenly have them earning six or seven figure salaries. Someone like JK Rowling who went from being on government assistance to one of the richest people in England (which, btw, only happened because she happened to talk about her ideas for Harry Potter to a person who was pretty high up in a publishing company, a fact unknown to her, while having lunch one day).

And like I said, just graduating college isn't important. It's what you do afterward. And if you aren't intelligent then you're going to have a very rough time competing with people who are when it comes to getting lucrative promotions and job offers. When it comes to high level jobs promotion is often based on achievement (and who you know), not how good of a worker you are. No one cares if you get all your projects and work done on time. They will take notice, however, if you just turned a fledging department into a goldmine for the company, if you came up with an idea for a marketing campaign that boosted sales quite a bit, and so on.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

gameguy6700

The average salary in the US is, I believe, around $45,000. So a nurse is not rich by any measure. Electricians may not need a college education but they still have a lot technical education that must be completed before they can get licensed. Besides, making $60k is hardly a rags-to-riches story. It's just a "I got out of poverty" story. For rags to riches you would have to take someone living in poverty and suddenly have them earning six or seven figure salaries. Someone like JK Rowling who went from being on government assistance to one of the richest people in England (which, btw, only happened because she happened to talk about her ideas for Harry Potter to a person who was pretty high up in a publishing company, a fact unknown to her, while having lunch one day).

And like I said, just graduating college isn't important. It's what you do afterward. And if you aren't intelligent then you're going to have a very rough time competing with people who are when it comes to getting lucrative promotions and job offers. When it comes to high level jobs promotion is often based on achievement (and who you know), not how good of a worker you are. No one cares if you get all your projects and work done on time. They will take notice, however, if you just turned a fledging department into a goldmine for the company, if you came up with an idea for a marketing campaign that boosted sales quite a bit, and so on.

Well, im pretty sure the average salary last time I check was about 38 grand. And all I'm saying is if you work really hard, you can at minimum get out of poverty and likely get in the 80+ grand rich range. But obviously if you want to get in the 200-300 grand rich range you have to be a little lucky. But not just if you are poor, even for the average and above average income people. I guess it just depends on what you call rich. I would consider somebody making 80+ grand fairly rich. Also you dont need to be smart or well educated to think of new ideas, wich mostly pertains to doing well, just beyond working hard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

Well, im pretty sure the average salary last time I check was about 38 grand. And all I'm saying is if you work really hard, you can at minimum get out of poverty and likely get in the 80+ grand rich range. But obviously if you want to get in the 200-300 grand rich range you have to be a little lucky. But not just if you are poor, even for the average and above average income people. I guess it just depends on what you call rich. I would consider somebody making 80+ grand fairly rich. Also you dont need to be smart or well educated to think of new ideas, wich mostly pertains to doing well, just beyond working hard.

Prove that if you work really hard you can get $80,000.. Because from what we have seen that is not the case and that the average salary is much lower.. There is so much to do with numerous things.. Life is like a game of poker alot to of it to do is how you play with your opponents.. But in the end of the day your card hand is the thing that will be the desiding factor, something you really can't change.. This girl is obviously extremely intelligent something that most people do not fall into..
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 pianist

Looks like others have taken over here while I was busy in another thread. You guys are making the same points I would. The most important one, I think, is that we're talking about rags to riches stories, not simply achieving a measure of sustainability. That's no accomplishment - most people do that.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pianist

magnax1

Of course not. But rags to riches is not average, and unless you're doing something which is not average, you're going to have an average income. There's a big difference between those who are poor and become wealthy compared to those who are poor and become self-sufficient. Most normal people can easily become self-sufficient if motivated. But very few can become wealthy, and the road is even more challenging if you start from nothing.

You really don't have to look any further than the numbers to see that motivation alone isn't enough to make a person wealthy. Most people in North America aspire to become wealthy. How many are?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="pianist"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

Of course not. But rags to riches is not average, and unless you're doing something which is not average, you're going to have an average income. There's a big difference between those who are poor and become wealthy compared to those who are poor and become self-sufficient. Most normal people can easily become self-sufficient if motivated. But very few can become wealthy, and the road is even more challenging if you start from nothing.

You really don't have to look any further than the numbers to see that motivation alone isn't enough to make a person wealthy. Most people in North America aspire to become wealthy. How many are?

Hell even than we are considered lucky to being born into a first world country.. Where close to 50% of the worlds population is in extreme poverty with no real way of getting out of it due to the bad luck of getting born into a 3rd world country.