High Fructose should be banned. WTF do we even use it? (Lolericans only)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheTolemac
Member since 2013 • 94 Posts
>Ok, so High Fructose Corn Syrup, short version> We Want To Kill Ourselves, or HFCS, is what we Lolericans use for sugar because I don't even really know. >I suppose at first it was an idea but at this point this has been proven: >Increases teh blod flow causing higher chance of heart attack, stroke, and kidney failure. >Weakens immune system >Actually removes some flavor elements in some consumables. >Causes more freakquent breakouts in teens. >Is much more fattening. >Could potentially cause very serious problem with high consumption like stroke, diabetes, diarha, death, paralysis, and more. >It is actually not really less expensive than sugar now. >Why do we still include this stuff in drinks??? And some Foods????? Why????? No one else does it?????????? >We need a solution NOW, the kind of serious tissues that Obama should be working on, get the FDA back some power so it can do its job. Not waste money in the millions trying to find nuclear weapons that don't exist and to research if video games are connected to violence. Yes he is actually spending money on that. >What do you think? Europeans can enter to laugh at us. Only Americans can have serious discussion about it.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Europeans can enter to laugh at us.TheTolemac
i don't know what this is about, but the less government bans the better
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Personal choice. If people don't want to eat it, it's not that hard to just look at the ingredients of the food you eat, and avoid it. My brother decided on a whim that he was going to give up high fructose corn syrup like 3 years ago. Hasn't eaten any since.

The last thing we need is even more government regulations, taking freedom of choice away from the people. People NEED to deal with the consequences of their own actions.

Also, LOL at the FDA needing more power. The FDA needs to be eliminated entirely. They've done nothing good, ever.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
My sister is on a health kick and always harps about it. I don't really care honestly, I'll ingest it. Doesn't bug me any.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Personal choice. If people don't want to eat it, it's not that hard to just look at the ingredients of the food you eat, and avoid it. My brother decided on a whim that he was going to give up high fructose corn syrup like 3 years ago. Hasn't eaten any since.

The last thing we need is even more government regulations, taking freedom of choice away from the people. People NEED to deal with the consequences of their own actions.

Also, LOL at the FDA needing more power. The FDA needs to be eliminated entirely. They've done nothing good, ever.

the_bi99man

Would you mind telling me what your brother did, because I tried it and it was hard as hell to avoid. It's in literally every drink that is not water and every food that isn't just basic stuff you put together for a meal.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

[QUOTE="TheTolemac"]Europeans can enter to laugh at us.MrPraline

on the contrary, high fructose corn syrup is so very common (and detrimental to public health) because our government subsidizes the **** out of corn

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrPraline

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="TheTolemac"]Europeans can enter to laugh at us.Abbeten

on the contrary, high fructose corn syrup is so very common (and detrimental to public health) because our government subsidizes the **** out of corn

oh, sorry very ignorant on this subject but subsidies -1000 in most cases, so start with killing those
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

Yusuke420

Would you mind telling me what your brother did, because I tried it and it was hard as hell to avoid. It's in literally every drink that is not water and every food that isn't just basic stuff you put together for a meal.

He drinks water and makes meals out of basic stuff.;)

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="TheTolemac"]Europeans can enter to laugh at us.Abbeten

Beat me to it, but I'll elaborate; Corn is subsidized to such a degree that it's almost rediculous for industrial scale farmers not to grow it. All of that corn doesn't just feed cattle or reaches your diner plate, it has to do somewhere and companies use this as an alturnative to natural sugar. You have to get the government to cut back on these subsidies before you can tackle this problem. In this instance I agree that the government is too involved in food productions as a whole and needs to be scalled back. `

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

the_bi99man

He drinks water and makes meals out of basic stuff.;)

lmao

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

Lolericans....that's some mighty trollin.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_bi99man

Exactly. And that's why the FDA doesn't need more power. The FDA has been, since its inception, in the business of approving foods and drugs that are known to be highly toxic, while using their power and influence to deliberately eliminate safer, healthier alternatives. Why? Well that's not hard to figure out, when you consider that the "appointed officials" who run the FDA have always been former high ranking executives at the very corporations that sell the highly toxic sh!t, and they usually still hold millions of dollars in stock in these companies.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MrPraline

[QUOTE="Abbeten"]

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] i don't know what this is about, but the less government bans the betterYusuke420

Beat me to it, but I'll elaborate; Corn is subsidized to such a degree that it's almost rediculous for industrial scale farmers not to grow it. All of that corn doesn't just feed cattle or reaches your diner plate, it has to do somewhere and companies use this as an alturnative to natural sugar. You have to get the government to cut back on these subsidies before you can tackle this problem. In this instance I agree that the government is too involved in food productions as a whole and needs to be scalled back. `

Yeah. I'm not a big fan of subsidies as a rule. Not aware much of the corn syrup production in the States.
TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheTolemac

[QUOTE="Abbeten"]

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] i don't know what this is about, but the less government bans the betterthe_bi99man

Exactly. And that's why the FDA doesn't need more power. The FDA has been, since its inception, in the business of approving foods and drugs that are known to be highly toxic, while using their power and influence to deliberately eliminate safer, healthier alternatives. Why? Well that's not hard to figure out, when you consider that the "appointed officials" who run the FDA have always been former high ranking executives at the very corporations that sell the highly toxic sh!t, and they usually still hold millions of dollars in stock in these companies.

But at this point the FDA is the only way to actually bring back less-deadly sugar back into our drinks and food, I'm surprised Sierra Mist got away with using sugar in limited brand of their drink for some time. I mean, every single thing has it in them, and unless you want to spend $13 and up for a drink or go to one of those small stores that makes natural drinks, which is even more expensive, you are being nearly force. Some HFCS is in flavored water for crying out loud.
Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

[QUOTE="Abbeten"]

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] i don't know what this is about, but the less government bans the betterthe_bi99man

Reform the FDA to make it more effective and less corrupt....nah just get rid of it and have no regulatory agency to make sure your food and drugs are relatively safe. Makes sense.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

I'll leave this here. LINK

I use to think HFCS should be banned but I feel now that even if HFCS never existed or rarely used, obesity would still rise. But I personally don't care if it gets banned or not. If you ever tried soda with sugar vs soda with HFCS, you'll notice a huge difference in taste and sweetness in that soda with sugar is vastly superior.

However, even if HFCS is banned, there will always be alternatives unless there is a regaltory measure that forces all companies to make their soda with cane sugar, thus there could be an increase in the price of soda, which could discourage consumers from buying more soda.

There is a reason why companies switched from sugar to HFCS (and why coke released New coke so that they could release Classic coke). :P

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
It exists because the American government subsidizes corn production in the US... making the grain as a source of sugar INCREDIBLY cheap compared to equivalent sugar beet or cane alternatives. The US government doesn't need to ban the substance (people should be free to put whatever they like into their bodies) but they should stop subsidizing it. It is essentially the cause of the obesity epidemic.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="Abbeten"] on the contrary, high fructose corn syrup is so very common (and detrimental to public health) because our government subsidizes the **** out of corn

MrPraline

Yeah. I'm not a big fan of subsidies as a rule. Not aware much of the corn syrup production in the States.

Corn is highly subsidized in the United States since our congressman "love" our farmers so much. However, these farmers tend to be very rich and successful so these subsidies tend to be a joke. Corn Syrup was created back in the 60s, and became the norm as sugar became more expensive due to US tariff on imported sugar to protect the sugar industry.

Then our congressman, mayors, governors, and nannies want to protect us from sugary sodas in which they should get their heads reexamined and shoot themselves.

But Markets react to changes and make changes when necessary in which they did. I can't blame. Blame the government for making sugar so expensive and subsidizing corn. Personally, I don't care.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

We use it because it tastes F***ing good.

It isn't the governments job to protect people from themselves. If someone eats too much Fructose and gets fat from it, it is their own fault. Those same people will find ways to ingest that much sugar in other ways if they want to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

It's a high calorie substance. Just like sugar. . . . .

killyou060606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 killyou060606
Member since 2005 • 27091 Posts

It's a high calorie substance. Just like sugar. . . . .

sonicare
Plain sugar tastes gooder though.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_bi99man

But at this point the FDA is the only way to actually bring back less-deadly sugar back into our drinks and food,TheTolemac

Or people could just decide for themselves, and use their wallets to change the market. You know, the way society worked before people decided they'd rather let their government make all their decisions for them?

Reform the FDA to make it more effective and less corrupt....nah just get rid of it and have no regulatory agency to make sure your food and drugs are relatively safe. Makes sense.Person0

If they could actually do a reform, and successfully squash the corruption, great. I don't believe that they can. The FDA has been corrupt from day one, just like the majority of the government regulatory agencies. They were specifically designed for corruption, not to regulate safety. That's just the facade they put on, to keep people from catching on faster.

I don't need a regulatory agency to keep my food and drugs safe. If I'm worried about the quality of the food I'm eating, I'll eat something else. Worst case scenario, I'll stop eating things that come from places I don't know. As for drugs... well the safest way to go about using drugs, regardless of regulatory agencies, is to just not take artificial pharmaceuticals. Fvck that noise. I mean, sure, there's some basic stuff, that's been around for decades, and is actually relatively safe, and effective, but just listen to the list of side effects in the commercials for that sh!t these days. Even if a new drug actually treats what it's supposed to (which isn't often), the side effects are probably far worse than your illness was in the first place.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
I had a very hard time understanding the TCs post but I think I get the main points. The reason we use fructose is it comes from corn. Corn is the gold crop of the midwest. Corn farmers get huge gov't subsides to mass produce corn. So we have a large surplus of corn so we have to find was to use it all. So we use it for sweetener, breakfast cereals, cooking oil, gas fuel substitute, feed for farm animals, and as a key ingredient for many starch based foods. Im sure Im forgetting some
TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheTolemac

[QUOTE="TheTolemac"]But at this point the FDA is the only way to actually bring back less-deadly sugar back into our drinks and food,the_bi99man

Or people could just decide for themselves, and use their wallets to change the market. You know, the way society worked before people decided they'd rather let their government make all their decisions for them?

Reform the FDA to make it more effective and less corrupt....nah just get rid of it and have no regulatory agency to make sure your food and drugs are relatively safe. Makes sense.Person0

If they could actually do a reform, and successfully squash the corruption, great. I don't believe that they can. The FDA has been corrupt from day one, just like the majority of the government regulatory agencies. They were specifically designed for corruption, not to regulate safety. That's just the facade they put on, to keep people from catching on faster.

I don't need a regulatory agency to keep my food and drugs safe. If I'm worried about the quality of the food I'm eating, I'll eat something else. Worst case scenario, I'll stop eating things that come from places I don't know. As for drugs... well the safest way to go about using drugs, regardless of regulatory agencies, is to just not take artificial pharmaceuticals. Fvck that noise. I mean, sure, there's some basic stuff, that's been around for decades, and is actually relatively safe, and effective, but just listen to the list of side effects in the commercials for that sh!t these days. Even if a new drug actually treats what it's supposed to (which isn't often), the side effects are probably far worse than your illness was in the first place.

No, wallets can't decide anything when 90% of consumables mostly drinks have it and the economy is not balanced enough to spend $20+ on drinks that use natural sugar, wich even then are restricted to small stores or certain super markets that are not common and can't be found everywhere.
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

It is a bad joke, the government subsidized a poision (basically), then it wants to give you "free high quality health care." We could easily lower health care costs by banning unnatural foods.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

It is a bad joke, the government subsidized a poision (basically), then it wants to give you "free high quality health care." We could easily lower health care costs by banning unnatural foods.

mahlasor
As much as I want the country to be healthy, a blanket ban on things is almost always a bad idea.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Hey, guess what, HFCS consuption is down quite a bit, thanks to the negative press:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/25/high-fructose-corn-syrup_n_2551894.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=3029293,b=facebook

TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheTolemac

Hey, guess what, HFCS consuption is down quite a bit, thanks to the negative press:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/25/high-fructose-corn-syrup_n_2551894.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=3029293,b=facebook

jimkabrhel
lol IN 2011 two years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also some of those deadly sugar substitutes also are involved. It;s like using poison to replace the pesticides you were already drinkig. With Mio and all that other stuff being introduce, and all flavored beverages and some other fruit drinks using acesflame which is just as bad if not worse than HFCS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b78379493e12

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

TheTolemac

lol IN 2011 two years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also some of those deadly sugar substitutes also are involved. It;s like using poison to replace the pesticides you were already drinkig. With Mio and all that other stuff being introduce, and all flavored beverages and some other fruit drinks using acesflame which is just as bad if not worse than HFCS

[citation needed]

What's your proof that all this stuff is incredibly bad? Since I'm a chemistry teacher, I'm on top of most of these topics. There is suggestion that some of the artifical sweeteners might trick the body into needing more carbohydrates, but that's preliminary. All the artificial sweeteners are considered safe.

So what are your sources for you rantings?

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts
I agree, they need to switch it back to cane sugar like they did in the old days.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Because corn is incredibly easy and cheap to grow.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="TheTolemac"]But at this point the FDA is the only way to actually bring back less-deadly sugar back into our drinks and food,the_bi99man

This person seems like a really nieve fool that takes forgranted the benefits and security he has when he goes to a super market and is able to see the ingredients on the product and understand that it went through certain checks to ensure its safe.. Yeah except for the fact that there are drugs that have been banned by FDA due to hidious side effects and what not... You seem not to understand that its FDA standard that they have to divolge that information to begin with..

:lol: What a ingenious idea, lets have NO oversight what so ever on the drugs we take and the food we eat.. I swear to god, do people REALLY want to live in third world countries, because with comments like this make baffles the mind.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

This reminds me of when I drunk a Mexican Coke last week. The Mexican coke had like only 6 ingredient: Water, Sugar, Caramel coloring, caffeine, phosphoric acid, and natural flavors. Why the **** does a Mexican Coke/Pepsi have only 6 ingredients, but an American Coke has like double that?

TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheTolemac

[QUOTE="TheTolemac"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

jimkabrhel

[citation needed]

What's your proof that all this stuff is incredibly bad? Since I'm a chemistry teacher, I'm on top of most of these topics. There is suggestion that some of the artifical sweeteners might trick the body into needing more carbohydrates, but that's preliminary. All the artificial sweeteners are considered safe.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/artificial-sweetners-unhealthy-eco.htm and http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030 among others, but if you have something that shows they are safe than please go ahead, although it does;t change the fact HFCS has taken over the market but I would like more information.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5b78379493e12
[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="TheTolemac"] lol IN 2011 two years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also some of those deadly sugar substitutes also are involved. It;s like using poison to replace the pesticides you were already drinkig. With Mio and all that other stuff being introduce, and all flavored beverages and some other fruit drinks using acesflame which is just as bad if not worse than HFCSTheTolemac

[citation needed]

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/artificial-sweetners-unhealthy-eco.htm and http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030 among others, but if you have something that shows they are safe than please go ahead, although it does;t change the fact HFCS has taken over the market but I would like more information.

The first link is essential a blog or opinion, not peer reviewed information. The Harvard article references what I month in my post, that the body gets sweetener instead o carbohydrates, and the craves what it doesn't get. That HFCS has taken over the market is a different, though related discussion to the nutrition and health issues. Anytime you have a lobby, corn for example, the products of it will get sold. The HFCS lobby will put out their studies, and academia will put out there. Ultimately, the consumer will decide, regardless of anything else.
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

jim_shorts

As much as I want the country to be healthy, a blanket ban on things is almost always a bad idea.

In the beast, you have to starve it, in this case financially, people need to stop buying the crap. It needs to stop being funded too.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#38 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

It always comes down to a matter of personal choice. I haven't touched any high-sugar product for a long while, and that won't change whether more high sugar products are introduced or banned.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

It should be. it's been linked to diabetes and that's a growing problem in the U.S.

bookwormwizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bookwormwizard
Member since 2013 • 48 Posts
Just because something is bad for you and contributes to obesity does not mean it should be banned. If you are going to ban this because it is unsafe and pushes healthcare costs up, then I just cant help but wonder why anyone would allow the x-games or any sport in general to be played. I mean why should we allow people to do back-flips on motor bikes when they can get hurt and we have to pay for them? Also its just plain unsafe. Plus, If you want to talk about things that contribute to obesity, how about weed? Its very odd that there is a push to make everyone heathier but there is also a push to legalize weed which gives you the munchies and makes you eat more. They seem counter productive to me. (also, long time lurker just signed up yay!) (edited for spelling)
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

-2/10

TC should be banned.

It's not the government's job to tell people what they can and cannot eat/drink.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Intellectually I'm against banning anything.

Emotionally I hope every unnatural food and substance gets banned, I hope there is nothing in supermarkets except grass-fed meat, veggies, fruit, egss, milk, and possibly bread.

Everything else they sell should be f*cking banned and their factories bombed.

Fluoride should be banned.

Hollywood should be nuked, and DC should suffer a riot whereby all of the federal govt are dragged behind pickup trucks and their offices burned to the ground.

That would all make me very happy, on an emotional level.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts
I prefer real sugar sweetened drinks, but even those I should avoid, but they really do taste better than those with HFCS. Personally I've given up on soda and become more an iced-t drinker, I hate Arizona though, been buying Peace Tea mostly since they use real sugar, less calories and tastes much better. Xing Tea would be my personal favorite, they use cane sugar and honey. For sodas though having a sugarcane Coke is so much better than those with HFCS, calories aside even flavor is much better. Use to pick up Mexican imported Coke from Costco because they'd import it for Passover because of Jewish dietary restrictions, Coke from sugar is kosher while HFCS coke isn't. I guess it's been a hit since they started doing this because they kept selling it. Though, when it comes to sugary drinks, nothing else beat the freshly made sugarcane juice I could get my hands on when I was in Vietnam.
lonewolfman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lonewolfman10
Member since 2012 • 528 Posts

That High Fructose is bad for you

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#45 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

i hate the SH1t I find it BULL CRAP that company's are allowed to even list that crap under sugar or say "no sugar" on their products.

Every time i "no sugar" i say it never had sugar in the first place.

sadly living in America it's pain to find even soda with sugar yet you can go nearly anywhere in the world and find soda made with sugar.  I usually buy Pepsi throw back when it's on the self even though i prefer coke or root beer.