Heath Ledger overrated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 thequietguy
Member since 2008 • 2160 Posts

I admit he was fantastic in The Dark Knight, and Heard that he was great in Brokeback Mountain (probably will never watch it). He was a great actor, but Academy Award talk? Ridiculous. He was great, but you can't just give every actor who dies the "greatest portrayal of a movie villain ever." Are you kidding me?

Being done saying that, he was an incredible actor. RIP.

And sorry if this is old.

jachichorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jachichorro
Member since 2004 • 3058 Posts
He is dead too.
dann14v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dann14v
Member since 2005 • 689 Posts

I admit he was fantastic in The Dark Knight, and Heard that he was great in Brokeback Mountain (probably will never watch it). He was a great actor, but Academy Award talk? Ridiculous. He was great, but you can't just give every actor who dies the "greatest portrayal of a movie villain ever." Are you kidding me?

thequietguy

Of course you can't. You only give it to one person. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
He was decent in The Dark Knight, but completely overrated and overhyped. As for him being the "greatest portrayal of a movie villain ever," well, I would definitely contest any such claim, as there are plenty of actors who played villains better than he did (from just last year, Javier Bardem as Chigurh in No Country for Old Men).
Hey_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hey_Jay
Member since 2004 • 7221 Posts
No. Not at all. I actually find talk about him being more appreciated because he died ridiculous. While he didn't have too many quality roles, the ones he did have were great. If anything, people are just looking for an excuse to call him overrated. That excuse is that he has passed.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
No. Not at all. I actually find talk about him being more appreciated because he died ridiculous. While he didn't have too many quality roles, the ones he did have were great. If anything, people are just looking for an excuse to call him overrated. That excuse is that he has passed.Hey_Jay
Exactly. I thought he was an amazing actor way before his death.
Banestyrelsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Banestyrelsen
Member since 2004 • 894 Posts

Heard that he was great in Brokeback Mountain (probably will never watch it).thequietguy

Why the hell not?

Avatar image for UnrighteousFury
UnrighteousFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UnrighteousFury
Member since 2008 • 2764 Posts
That's generally what happens when artists die young.
freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
well hes dead so hes the best
thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thequietguy

Isn't it weird how some of the greatest die at the peaks of their careers, leaving legends behind?

Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Elvis, John Lennon.

For some reason, I can't think of anybody else right now.

Avatar image for UnrighteousFury
UnrighteousFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UnrighteousFury
Member since 2008 • 2764 Posts

Isn't it weird how some of the greatest die at the peaks of their careers, leaving legends behind?

thequietguy

Saying that Lennon and Elvis were at the peak of their careers when they died is probably giving them too much credit.

Avatar image for ElectronicMagic
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ElectronicMagic
Member since 2005 • 5412 Posts
I don't think he is overrated. But he certainly wasn't the best actor out there. He's work in The Dark Knight, Candy, Brokeback Mountain and Lords of Dogtown was great, but besides that he was an average actor with great potential.
Kikouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 Kikouken
Member since 2006 • 15913 Posts
Everytime someone/something becomes really popular, you always see a "xxxxxx overrated?" topic on OT.
thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thequietguy
[QUOTE="thequietguy"]

UnrighteousFury

Saying that Lennon and Elvis were at the peak of their careers when they died is probably giving them too much credit.

Yeah, I know. But imagine if they were still alive today...

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts
No. Not at all. I actually find talk about him being more appreciated because he died ridiculous. While he didn't have too many quality roles, the ones he did have were great. If anything, people are just looking for an excuse to call him overrated. That excuse is that he has passed.Hey_Jay
Yep...
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
Have you seen the Patriot. Oscar worthy performance. I don't think it's overrated, he's a very versatile actor.
thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thequietguy

Have you seen the Patriot. Oscar worthy performance. I don't think it's overrated, he's a very versatile actor. CleanPlayer

Can anybody name his top performances? I would like to see more of his roles.

Hey_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hey_Jay

[QUOTE="CleanPlayer"]Have you seen the Patriot. Oscar worthy performance. I don't think it's overrated, he's a very versatile actor. thequietguy

Monster's Ball
Brokeback Mountain
I'm Not There

Just to name a few...

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
[QUOTE="thequietguy"]

[QUOTE="CleanPlayer"]Have you seen the Patriot. Oscar worthy performance. I don't think it's overrated, he's a very versatile actor. Hey_Jay

Monster's Ball
Brokeback Mountain
I'm Not There

Just to name a few...

You should also check out the film Candy. The film isn't that great but his performance definitely is.
thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thequietguy
[QUOTE="Hey_Jay"][QUOTE="thequietguy"]

sammyjenkis898

Monster's Ball
Brokeback Mountain
I'm Not There

Just to name a few...

You should also check out the film Candy. The film isn't that great but his performance definitely is.

Thank you guys; I might check them out. I want to see more of his performances to see his true impact on the movie industry.

And that was officially the nerdiest thing I ever said.

Hey_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hey_Jay

And that was officially the nerdiest thing I ever said.

thequietguy

... and that's why I'm sure you'll fit in just fine here.:P

one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#22 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts

Just like artists like River Phoenix, 2pac, Kirk Cobain, Selena, artists who died too soon, etc. left us with great work and it's just kinda hard saying they were overrated because the work they left just showed they all had so much potential.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts

[QUOTE="CleanPlayer"]Have you seen the Patriot. Oscar worthy performance. I don't think it's overrated, he's a very versatile actor. thequietguy

Check out Brother Grimm or something like that. .... Oh and the Patriot.
Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts
I'm getting really tired of hearing this word.. overrated. Using the word is overrated.
Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts

thequietguy
Its really unfortunate that his death will be looked upon as the reason he gets award nominations for his role as the Joker (especially the big ones), it really is. Because you know what? Living or dead he DESERVES an oscar for his role as the Joker. He became that character. The character in TDK IS the Joker. If you grew up reading the comic books, that IS the Joker. Of course there are quite a few different takes on the character, but his is/was as good as any, and the best thats been in a medium other than a comic book. Furthermore, if you didn't know that the Joker was played by Heath Ledger before you saw the movie, would you be able to identify him as the actor playing him? I think it would be quite difficult to do. A big part of that is makeup, but a significant part of it is not. He does not sound like Heath Ledger, his natural voice doesn't come through at all during the film. As an actor his job was to assume a role and play it convincingly. He did that, did so to an extent not expected. It doesn't matter if it was for a comic book movie. The writing was there, the dialogue was there, the character was there, his acting was there. Thats it, thats all that matters. He is getting acknowledgments for the role because unlike most movies, the character is based off of source material, from which people already have an understanding of how the character should act. And he nailed that to the point where TDK isn't even really about Batman, its about the Joker. The people who don't think he should at least be nominated for his role are the ones who have this stigma that comic book movies cannot be of the same quality as true "films" but instead are limited to being blockbuster popcorn flicks. This may have been true in the past, but like any other material, if the talent is there (writing, directing, acting) the result can be on par with anything. Instead of saying he simply shouldn't be nominated or win the award, give me a reason as to why he shouldn't.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#26 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
See the movie Two Hands as well. He made some pretty lousy films in his time but yes the ones that worked REALLY worked. He was about one of the few good things in I'm Not There and he is sensational in The Dark Knight. I don't want to hear the word overrated again today or "it sucks" or whatever else. It was a great performance and he will win the best supporting actor award rightfully.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#27 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"] Its really unfortunate that his death will be looked upon as the reason he gets award nominations for his role as the Joker (especially the big ones), it really is. Because you know what? Living or dead he DESERVES an oscar for his role as the Joker. He became that character. The character in TDK IS the Joker. If you grew up reading the comic books, that IS the Joker. Of course there are quite a few different takes on the character, but his is/was as good as any, and the best thats been in a medium other than a comic book. Furthermore, if you didn't know that the Joker was played by Heath Ledger before you saw the movie, would you be able to identify him as the actor playing him? I think it would be quite difficult to do. A big part of that is makeup, but a significant part of it is not. He does not sound like Heath Ledger, his natural voice doesn't come through at all during the film. As an actor his job was to assume a role and play it convincingly. He did that, did so to an extent not expected. It doesn't matter if it was for a comic book movie. The writing was there, the dialogue was there, the character was there, his acting was there. Thats it, thats all that matters. He is getting acknowledgments for the role because unlike most movies, the character is based off of source material, from which people already have an understanding of how the character should act. And he nailed that to the point where TDK isn't even really about Batman, its about the Joker. The people who don't think he should at least be nominated for his role are the ones who have this stigma that comic book movies cannot be of the same quality as true "films" but instead are limited to being blockbuster popcorn flicks. This may have been true in the past, but like any other material, if the talent is there (writing, directing, acting) the result can be on par with anything. Instead of saying he simply shouldn't be nominated or win the award, give me a reason as to why he shouldn't.

You made my day Cloud_Insurance :)
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#28 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Jesus Christ... people were buzzing about his performance before he died. His death only accelerated the movie's hype. :roll:
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"] Its really unfortunate that his death will be looked upon as the reason he gets award nominations for his role as the Joker (especially the big ones), it really is. Because you know what? Living or dead he DESERVES an oscar for his role as the Joker. He became that character. The character in TDK IS the Joker. If you grew up reading the comic books, that IS the Joker. Of course there are quite a few different takes on the character, but his is/was as good as any, and the best thats been in a medium other than a comic book. Furthermore, if you didn't know that the Joker was played by Heath Ledger before you saw the movie, would you be able to identify him as the actor playing him? I think it would be quite difficult to do. A big part of that is makeup, but a significant part of it is not. He does not sound like Heath Ledger, his natural voice doesn't come through at all during the film. As an actor his job was to assume a role and play it convincingly. He did that, did so to an extent not expected. It doesn't matter if it was for a comic book movie. The writing was there, the dialogue was there, the character was there, his acting was there. Thats it, thats all that matters. He is getting acknowledgments for the role because unlike most movies, the character is based off of source material, from which people already have an understanding of how the character should act. And he nailed that to the point where TDK isn't even really about Batman, its about the Joker. The people who don't think he should at least be nominated for his role are the ones who have this stigma that comic book movies cannot be of the same quality as true "films" but instead are limited to being blockbuster popcorn flicks. This may have been true in the past, but like any other material, if the talent is there (writing, directing, acting) the result can be on par with anything. Instead of saying he simply shouldn't be nominated or win the award, give me a reason as to why he shouldn't.biggest_loser

Indeed. Great post.
Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"] Its really unfortunate that his death will be looked upon as the reason he gets award nominations for his role as the Joker (especially the big ones), it really is. Because you know what? Living or dead he DESERVES an oscar for his role as the Joker. He became that character. The character in TDK IS the Joker. If you grew up reading the comic books, that IS the Joker. Of course there are quite a few different takes on the character, but his is/was as good as any, and the best thats been in a medium other than a comic book. Furthermore, if you didn't know that the Joker was played by Heath Ledger before you saw the movie, would you be able to identify him as the actor playing him? I think it would be quite difficult to do. A big part of that is makeup, but a significant part of it is not. He does not sound like Heath Ledger, his natural voice doesn't come through at all during the film. As an actor his job was to assume a role and play it convincingly. He did that, did so to an extent not expected. It doesn't matter if it was for a comic book movie. The writing was there, the dialogue was there, the character was there, his acting was there. Thats it, thats all that matters. He is getting acknowledgments for the role because unlike most movies, the character is based off of source material, from which people already have an understanding of how the character should act. And he nailed that to the point where TDK isn't even really about Batman, its about the Joker. The people who don't think he should at least be nominated for his role are the ones who have this stigma that comic book movies cannot be of the same quality as true "films" but instead are limited to being blockbuster popcorn flicks. This may have been true in the past, but like any other material, if the talent is there (writing, directing, acting) the result can be on par with anything. Instead of saying he simply shouldn't be nominated or win the award, give me a reason as to why he shouldn't.JustPlainLucas

Indeed. Great post.

Weren't you a mod?
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
I only saw a handful of his films so I can't say. Those being The Patriot, 10 Things I Hate About You, A Knight's Tale, The Dark Knight. I primarily remember The latter 2 since he played a major role. I guess I did like him quite a bit because when they announced his death on TV I was like "no way. He always seemed like such a good guy and he was in that movie where he's a knight with the Nike armour. Wow. I didn't even know he was that young".
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JustPlainLucas
Weren't you a mod?Cloud_Insurance
Yeah, stepped down during the Gerstmann debacle, a mistake I regret.
trubluah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 trubluah
Member since 2002 • 3678 Posts
You know he played the part so well in dark knight, that I actually didn't think it was Heath Ledger until someone told me so. Even when they told me I foundit hard to believe cause he portrayed the part very well
jachichorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jachichorro
Member since 2004 • 3058 Posts
You know he played the part so well in dark knight, that I actually didn't think it was Heath Ledger until someone told me so. Even when they told me I foundit hard to believe cause he portrayed the part very welltrubluah
To this very day I still don't believe that was Heath Ledger. I think it was a phony.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#35 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
He was amazing in both Dark Knight and Brokeback Mountain.
Avatar image for NecroKvltMuffin
NecroKvltMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NecroKvltMuffin
Member since 2007 • 9334 Posts
He was decent in The Dark Knight, but completely overrated and overhyped. As for him being the "greatest portrayal of a movie villain ever," well, I would definitely contest any such claim, as there are plenty of actors who played villains better than he did (from just last year, Javier Bardem as Chigurh in No Country for Old Men).chessmaster1989
He didn't even have to do a lot, didn't have a ton of lines, etc. :| Where as Heath Ledger pretty much made TDK.
the_kidisblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 the_kidisblack
Member since 2008 • 1184 Posts
Name the movies he was BAD in. There aren't many if you think about it.
Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
Ledger was simply phenomenal in Lords of Dogtown. He captured the very essence of who Skip Engblom was in 1975.