Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Extender-Single-1080P/dp/B0774TTL14?th=1

I'm thinking of buying this, but I can't figure out how it's supposed to work. The ethernet cable that goes from the living room to my PC is already being used for internet. How do I use it to both connect my PC to the internet and my PC to my TV/AV receiver? The 70 foot HDMI connection I have right now is too finicky. I want to be able to play 4K HDR at 60 Hz. I may also plug my Bluetooth dongle into the 35 foot USB repeater cable that currently goes from the PC to the living room, allowing me to play PC games on the TV with my PS4 controller. How bad would the input lag and picture delay be? Right now, with my wireless mouse and keyboard and HDMI connection, which uses two repeaters, it's a bit too slow.

I remember there was a user here who commented in a previous thread of mine who uses HDMI over Cat5 or Cat6.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Extender-Single-1080P/dp/B0774TTL14?th=1

I'm thinking of buying this, but I can't figure out how it's supposed to work. The ethernet cable that goes from the living room to my PC is already being used for internet. How do I use it to both connect my PC to the internet and my PC to my TV/AV receiver? The 70 foot HDMI connection I have right now is too finicky. I want to be able to play 4K HDR at 60 Hz. I may also plug my Bluetooth dongle into the 35 foot USB repeater cable that currently goes from the PC to the living room, allowing me to play PC games on the TV with my PS4 controller. How bad would the input lag and picture delay be? Right now, with my wireless mouse and keyboard and HDMI connection, which uses two repeaters, it's a bit too slow.

I remember there was a user here who commented in a previous thread of mine who uses HDMI over Cat5 or Cat6.

You don't. These devices are not designed to share your existing networking cable, you run a new cable to carry the HDMI signal. No idea what the latency is, but all they are doing is converting the cable type to a cable that can carry a signal successfully for a much longer distance and then convert it back again on the other side. I don't know that brand but it seems to have all the specs you'd wanna see. Specifically:

• 4k@60hz
  • 4:4:4
  • HDR
  • HDCP 2.2
  • 18Gbps

The only thing I'd say is just make sure that whatever you get is something you can return if it doesn't work. HDCP/EDID is the hardest part of this.

Bluetooth dongle at the end of a long USB cable is fine, or at least pretty much the same as running a BT dongle directly on the PC.

-Byshop