Have you ever seen anybody from your School days as a adult in public?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Just curious if this has happened to any of you because it hasn't to me not that I want it to but I just find it weird that it never has happened unless I just don't recognize them.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

There's a small group of friends from high school that I still hang out with. We were always pretty close and still are.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I see a lot of my old schoolmates, as I still live in the town I grew up in. We're in our 40's now and more than a few of them have passed away (quite a few recently due to ODs) and most of them look like they could be my parents. There's a few who have done well but not many.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

No, never in my life. /sarcasm

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

A few times. Most of them don't recognise me because of how much I've changed and I wasn't exactly liked in school to begin with. It's always a surreal experience when someone does recognise me cause we've all grown up and most of them have matured so they talk as though they didn't spend years making my life miserable. I take solace in the fact that very few of them have done well since high school.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I did before I moved, none of them really recognise me since I lost 55kg after I left.

@br0kenrabbit said:

I see a lot of my old schoolmates, as I still live in the town I grew up in. We're in our 40's now and more than a few of them have passed away (quite a few recently due to ODs) and most of them look like they could be my parents. There's a few who have done well but not many.

I'm only 26 and few of my passed too, car cash's or drugs. Ice here is epidemic.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

No, never. I never had real friends or a phone. I was in too many schools to count. Many of those schools were in this city, but I couldn't remember most of those people even if I saw them now.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

Yea. I grew up on the islands (Maui) and went to a small private school. Hung out with one of my classmates, this Chinese kid named Sheldon. At 19 I moved to California to attend Foothill Jr. college. Was walking to my class and saw this guy walking towards me. He approaches me and says my name inquisitively. I reply, "Sheldon?".

It was wild considering how far from home we were, we were both pretty shocked. We tried to hang out a few times but really had grown apart and our interests didn't jive. Still, it was good to see him. He's the only one I've run into randomly. Most of my classmates are still on island from what I know.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58960 Posts

She's my next-door neighbour, and made little, loud annoying versions of herself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

5 years ago I would see the most random people everyday, before that, saw tons of people all time even if we didn't talk. But the most recent, not talking anyone I follow online, I saw my friend's dad at the gym, and an old school buddy in the same day. Before that, I saw a guy who use to work at my old gas station at my gas station, and weird that he now had a job at my old work place, and now friends with all the people I use to hang with.

I went to HS with 2,000 in my grade alone, so its easy to come across them. I literally went upstate to a small town festival thing, and saw a girl there from Jr. High, so yeah.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I've come across people from my high-school over the years but I never bothered interacting. They didn't recognize me or didn't want to talk either. I was kind of invisible and not very social back then (I'm still the same pretty much).

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

Damn that's horrible.

@Serraph105 said:

There's a small group of friends from high school that I still hang out with. We were always pretty close and still are.

That's cool I never was really close to people in my School friends I had really didn't see that close except in the elementary years.

@ezekiel43 said:

No, never. I never had real friends or a phone. I was in too many schools to count. Many of those schools were in this city, but I couldn't remember most of those people even if I saw them now.

Yeah, I understand completely I was never the social type and still not. It's funny alot of my other family members are social butterflies I'm the complete opposite.

@uninspiredcup said:

She's my next-door neighbour, and made little, loud annoying versions of herself.

That's some funny shit lol.

@MirkoS77 said:

Yea. I grew up on the islands (Maui) and went to a small private school. Hung out with one of my classmates, this Chinese kid named Sheldon. At 19 I moved to California to attend Foothill Jr. college. Was walking to my class and saw this guy walking towards me. He approaches me and says my name inquisitively. I reply, "Sheldon?".

It was wild considering how far from home we were, we were both pretty shocked. We tried to hang out a few times but really had grown apart and our interests didn't jive. Still, it was good to see him. He's the only one I've run into randomly. Most of my classmates are still on island from what I know.

That's cool that you saw him I feel like I grew apart from alot of people too.

@johnd13 said:

I've come across people from my high-school over the years but I never bothered interacting. They didn't recognize me or didn't want to talk either. I was kind of invisible and not very social back then (I'm still the same pretty much).

Same man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

No never. Lol. ?

I did have this jealous guy show up one day to see me, but apparently he did not have the balls to speak up lmfao. That was years ago, im beginning to think this guy wants the cck because he is still after me.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#14 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

Some of my best mates today are people I've known since school days. And it's not uncommon for me to randomly bump into other people I used to know in my school days.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Occasionally see others from outside of the group of friends I still got from school and high school. Met one yesterday actually. We didn't talk much during, but never any bad blood. So we still say hello to each others. Might even stop for small talk.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 br0kenrabbit

@vagrantsnow said:

I take solace in the fact that very few of them have done well since high school.

Very few of the popular crowd I schooled with rose to be anything more than Walmart employees or something. A few of the more level headed ones became like a dentist, a medical administrator, and....hunh...I guess only two.

Us geeks...we're at the top. I built up a broadband network and sold it off in 2002 and have basically retired since, one guy works for Dreamworks, another at JPL, the card-dealing Queen works in studio production for TV and most of the rest work here locally at ORNL which are all $6-digit jobs.

The QB now does landscaping, i.e. mowing yards. He's got four kids by two mamma's and doesn't live with any of them. The "My band is gonna be famous" guy is in and out of rehab. Lives with his mom and sits on the hilltop drinking beer if his mom give him money.

Hate to say it, but it really bring to mind this song:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@br0kenrabbit:

Thats a poor outlook to have. I know plenty of people that on paper youd think would be happy, but in reality are the most bitter people out there.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

Yes. I've mentioned this before. Whilst visiting Spain, I ran into one of of my high school buddy's sisters. It was on Christmas day and the Lord of the Rings was showing. My father and I sat down and a few minutes later she sat in front of us with her friend . I was flabbergasted. Neither of us knew that we would be visiting Barcelona at the time, so it was very shocking.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@br0kenrabbit: Never heard that song before, but damn it's depressing.

I will say though that I don't agree that your potential is thrown away just because you have kids. I know you didn't say that, but the song specifically did.

I'll also say that geeks aren't automatically going to be financially successful adults. Some will of course, but life can play out against the stereotype as well, the cool kids will do better in life because people like them enough to give them chances they wouldn't give to the "geeks" because they're outgoing enough to get the opportunities.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Is the general gist here that only a few "made it"? As in doing OK or better.

As far as I know, most people I went to school with do it OK to great financially. I know one started her own company. I think revenue passed 10 million $ a year in 2017 or 2018 with extremely positive projections for the next few years. From my high school class I know at least 2 became doctors, though I suspect more. Some civil engineers, some got their masters, at least one with a PHD.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Not if I can help it. :P

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2579 Posts

Plenty. But only few of them I will actually talk to. One died some time ago in a motorcycle accident. He was drunk and fell on a sigh at high speed.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Rarely, I sort of graduated high school and went to college and never looked back. Not that I was running away from something, I just didn't really like the people I was friends with in high school, and even before high school I sort of drifted away from my childhood friends.

My mom will sometimes update me because she is friends with their moms and it's like "Oh you should reach out to ______ he is in town for the weekend" and I feel like "Why? We weren't hanging out when I was 14 why should I do that now". No grudges, just doesn't seem genuine is all.

@br0kenrabbit said:

Wow so young. You live in the rust belt or something? Those opioids get them? Anyway sorry to hear it, I lost a friend in college and it sucks seeing your friends die.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 br0kenrabbit

@mrbojangles25 said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

Wow so young. You live in the rust belt or something? Those opioids get them? Anyway sorry to hear it, I lost a friend in college and it sucks seeing your friends die.

Appalachia. Yeah, opioids. Shit hit hard around here.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I reconnected with some old friends.

Some look really good, some look washed out. I'd say I'm in the washed out category lol.... as in I look like I went through a lot of pain.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

no I have not.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

not in town since i've moved away. have a few friends that i'll catch up with occasionally though.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

I am raised in a capital city so not many of those I grew up with have moved.

I have a couple of friends I still keep in touch with but I’ve felt for a long time that I have changed and developed different kinds of interests than them...

Sometimes I see others from high school but I just pretend to not see them. I don’t have the social skills necessary to reconnect with a person I was never really friends with in the first place...

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#29 pillarrocks  Online
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

I saw a friend of mine who went to middle school with me a few years ago awhile getting my nephews at school. He looked much younger than me and I didn't recognize him at all. But he recognized me so it was weird not knowing who he was as I switched high schools so lost contact with the people I went to school with.

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

I have seen some of my friends in high school, one of my friends is still skateboarding, occasionally modelling, taking education course (for teachers) for college. One is pursuing marine engineering or anything maritime. One would pursue education too.

Too many to mention

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#31 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yeah, quite a few times. I usually don't like it to happen but nothing bad comes from it.