Has Windows Vista fail in everyway possible?

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 sunnystarz
Member since 2007 • 1536 Posts

Has Windows Vista fail in everyway possible?

I have no stats to back this up, but most people that buy new computer that I know are downgrading to XP if it's at all possible.

I think it's a failure to the consumers point of view, but probably not to MS, since they still rake in the cash, and their stock has yet to take any budge up or down.

sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 sunnystarz
are we waiting for windows 7?
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts
I am running vista with no problems at all I actually like it a lot....I think the vast majority of the complaints are coming from people attempting to run vista with sub-par computers...
southy787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 southy787
Member since 2005 • 14571 Posts

I currently use Vista.

I haven't had any major negative experiences, nor any positive ones. I feel indifferent towards it and thus have no desire to downgrade.

H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 H8sMikeMoore
Member since 2008 • 5427 Posts

are we waiting for windows 7?sunnystarz

when windows 7 comes out chances are you wont have a computer to run it.

Windows Vista is the best version of Windows yet. not only is it starting to ditch that "windows look" its more secure in some ways.

However, it still has the problems that windows has.

I dont understand the Vista hate though because ever since Vista updated it runs everything XP does. I found XP to be a pretty terrible experience personally.

Erasorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Erasorn
Member since 2004 • 14502 Posts
I think it's pretty neat and see no reason to down grade. I have a friend who has it running on a better computer then mine and it's a freakin' trainwreck! So it varies from computer to computer I guess? Also worth noting is that both computers are laptops.
DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts

I am running vista with no problems at all I actually like it a lot....I think the vast majority of the complaints are coming from people attempting to run vista with sub-par computers...UnknownSniper65

Same

HeyDoYaThang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HeyDoYaThang
Member since 2008 • 963 Posts
A lot of people do not like Vista because of the DRM protection that is suppose to be built into it. Also a lot of people had problems running programs and some hardware. I don't know how much of this has been resolved. I can't say if I like it or dislike it. I never tried it. Decided to stick with XP till the next version of Windows.
bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts
I've been using Vista for a year and a half, and it's a great OS. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I think that the anti-Vista hype has been from a vocal minority.
Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#12 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts
I wouldn't say it has failed in every way possible. Like all OS, it has flaws, but nothing that isn't manageable. I like it.
H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 H8sMikeMoore

a lot of the mac users are pushing the vista hate as well. which dosent make sense because mac users have one of the worst OS's ever.

I dont think Windows is perfect, nor do I think its great either. Vista, is a step in the right direction. Even if it was an extremely small one.

I seems like theyre starting to get the idea that maybe the default user SHOULDNT be root (with that thing that pops up every time you open an exe) Obviously though, this thing does almost nothing to protect you. But at least theyre going in the right direction right?

At the end of it, all I gotta say is Linux.

gasmaskman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gasmaskman
Member since 2005 • 3463 Posts

I am running vista with no problems at all I actually like it a lot....I think the vast majority of the complaints are coming from people attempting to run vista with sub-par computers...UnknownSniper65

Or like to game... Gaming is better on XP but you lose the MASSIVE (sarcasm) difference between DX9 and DX10.

I don't mind. I can still run Crysis very well.

legolasxbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 legolasxbow
Member since 2008 • 667 Posts
I have vista, no problems at all, everything runs perfectly, anyways if i downgrade my laptop it will lose its touchscreen capability, probaly
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
It was a pain on my old computer. Now that I have a decent quad-core it runs sweet. A lot of my problems with vista stem from its desire to be user friendly, Now that I've tweaked it the way I like it, it runs great
sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sunnystarz

I've been using Vista for a year and a half, and it's a great OS. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I think that the anti-Vista hype has been from a vocal minority.bman784

or those sarcastic Mac advertisments

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts

[QUOTE="bman784"]I've been using Vista for a year and a half, and it's a great OS. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I think that the anti-Vista hype has been from a vocal minority.sunnystarz

:lol: mac users and their cult-like devotion to a product.
Erasorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Erasorn
Member since 2004 • 14502 Posts
[QUOTE="sunnystarz"]

[QUOTE="bman784"]I've been using Vista for a year and a half, and it's a great OS. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I think that the anti-Vista hype has been from a vocal minority.Frattracide

I won't be surprised if the next Apple "product" is iReligion.
H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 H8sMikeMoore
[QUOTE="Frattracide"][QUOTE="sunnystarz"]

[QUOTE="bman784"]I've been using Vista for a year and a half, and it's a great OS. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I think that the anti-Vista hype has been from a vocal minority.Erasorn

ireligion! haha

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
It doesn't fail in every possible way. But it is a downgrade from Windows XP. Slower, less stable, harder to navigate, etc.
AirGuitarist87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AirGuitarist87
Member since 2006 • 9499 Posts
I've been using Vista for over a year and I have no quarrels with it. Aside from UAC and DEP, which can and have been turned off, everything works hunky dory. The only thing I hate is the gamble of older games working on it, for example Monkey Island will work perfectly fine, but Discworld Noir will only get past the first cutscene and crash.
bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts
[QUOTE="Frattracide"][QUOTE="sunnystarz"]

[QUOTE="bman784"]I've been using Vista for a year and a half, and it's a great OS. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I think that the anti-Vista hype has been from a vocal minority.Erasorn

What's wrong with accepting Steve Jobs as your lord and savior?
FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FearTheRain
Member since 2008 • 1470 Posts

Windows Vista is by far the best O.S. yet.....ONCE ITS TWEAKED. Before hand its slow as ****, but afterwards it is much faster than XP on my machine because I have a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM. Vista, unlike XP can utilise its resources much better.

Also, unlike XP Windows Vista installs faster and has the drivers. If it is missing any drivers Windows Update will quickly find them and install them in little to no time.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

why dont you add "ed" on the ends of youre words?

youre last topic was "did anybody think GATEway was own by Bill gatess?"

should be owned

and this topic should have said has windows vista failed. Im sorry, dont mean to be mean but it just really is bothering me

H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 H8sMikeMoore

Windows Vista is by far the best O.S. yet.....ONCE ITS TWEAKED. Before hand its slow as ****, but afterwards it is much faster than XP on my machine because I have a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM. Vista, unlike XP can utilise its resources much better.

Also, unlike XP Windows Vista installs faster and has the drivers. If it is missing any drivers Windows Update will quickly find them and install them in little to no time.

FearTheRain

best windows ever... not os

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#28 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Microsoft did a terrible job of providing it to their customers. So many unnecessary versions and so many copies distributed with unsuitable PCs.
H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 H8sMikeMoore

Microsoft did a terrible job of providing it to their customers. So many unnecessary versions and so many copies distributed with unsuitable PCs.SolidSnake35

if thats what you think windows 7 is gonna be even worse. its gonna require even more resources.

i dont know why so many people are jumping on a bandwagon thats just continuing vistas direction

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]Microsoft did a terrible job of providing it to their customers. So many unnecessary versions and so many copies distributed with unsuitable PCs.H8sMikeMoore

if thats what you think windows 7 is gonna be even worse. its gonna require even more resources.

i dont know why so many people are jumping on a bandwagon thats just continuing vistas direction

OS X will take over eventually so fret not.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

a lot of the mac users are pushing the vista hate as well. which dosent make sense because mac users have one of the worst OS's ever.

H8sMikeMoore

aside from compatability, I've found that Leopard is quicker than Vista and runs rather well. but I haven't had that many complaints with Vista, either.

H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 H8sMikeMoore
[QUOTE="H8sMikeMoore"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]Microsoft did a terrible job of providing it to their customers. So many unnecessary versions and so many copies distributed with unsuitable PCs.SolidSnake35

OS X will take over eventually so fret not.

i doubt it.

H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 H8sMikeMoore
[QUOTE="H8sMikeMoore"]

Hewkii

aside from compatability, I've found that Leopard is quicker than Vista and runs rather well. but I haven't had that many complaints with Vista, either.

osx is less secure than vista, regardless of what rumors start from the star bucks crowd.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

osx is less secure than vista, regardless of what rumors start from the star bucks crowd.

H8sMikeMoore

not from my experiences, then again I don't go to where many viruses usually are.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidSnake35
i doubt it. H8sMikeMoore
Microsoft have already shown how much of a mess they can make despite being in such a comfortable position. Apple, on the other hand, are going from strength to strength and, in my opinion, have the OS that better suits the general user. If they start pushing a cheaper Mac onto the market, Windows will fade from the home environment. People are already starting to realise that Macs are better anyway. This process will just continue.
H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 H8sMikeMoore
[QUOTE="H8sMikeMoore"]

Hewkii

not from my experiences, then again I don't go to where many viruses usually are.

they actually ran a text of OSX vs XP vs Ubuntu, and OSX was hacked in a half hour, xp held out until close to the end I think and im not sure if they ever even got into linux or not..

and as far as viruses, if more people use OSX there will be more viruses for it.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="H8sMikeMoore"]

Hewkii

I think he's referring to direct "hacking" or whatever those people get up to these days when they're not making viruses. Either way, Apple have no need of improving OS X in this regard at the moment. To do such a comparison is meaningless.
H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 H8sMikeMoore

[QUOTE="H8sMikeMoore"]i doubt it. SolidSnake35
Microsoft have already shown how much of a mess they can make despite being in such a comfortable position. Apple, on the other hand, are going from strength to strength and, in my opinion, have the OS that better suits the general user. If they start pushing a cheaper Mac onto the market, Windows will fade from the home environment. People are already starting to realise that Macs are better anyway. This process will just continue.

Thats usually what happens when a company is on top for a while, they get lazy. Not that I think anything Microsoft has put out was very good since the original IE (when it was competing with Netscape)

Apple it strying to compete with MS, so naturally theyre gonnaa push harder. But the thing is, theyre being very dumb about it.

1. The OS isnt as secure as Windows is

2. The only way to get the OS is to buy the machine

3.Less functionality

4. less software that runs on it

5. BOOT CAMP! are you kidding me? You try and be an alternative to windows and you RUN windows?? come on!

Macs arent better, if you wanna stick it to microsoft get linux.

H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 H8sMikeMoore
[QUOTE="Hewkii"][QUOTE="H8sMikeMoore"]

SolidSnake35

I think he's referring to direct "hacking" or whatever those people get up to these days when they're not making viruses. Either way, Apple have no need of improving OS X in this regard at the moment. To do such a comparison is meaningless.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=operating_systems&articleId=9072959&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_top

rockon1215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rockon1215
Member since 2007 • 1665 Posts
I like Vista much more than XP.Vista uses a little more RAM than I would like, but I have enough (1 GB) so it's fine; although I do prefer Ubuntu. :)
fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 fanofazrienoch
Member since 2008 • 1573 Posts
I once used vista, but I *up*graded to XP even though I still own Vista.
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts

Vista is pretty good, I am using it right now.

dgbiker1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dgbiker1
Member since 2003 • 2139 Posts
[QUOTE="Hewkii"][QUOTE="H8sMikeMoore"]

H8sMikeMoore

they actually ran a text of OSX vs XP vs Ubuntu, and OSX was hacked in a half hour, xp held out until close to the end I think and im not sure if they ever even got into linux or not..

and as far as viruses, if more people use OSX there will be more viruses for it.

That half-hour hack was debunked pretty quickly, it was a bogus hack that required physical access to the machine. I could just as easily pick and choose shaky facts to discredit any of the three OS'.

I don't have any major performance issues with Vista, but I've run into a lot of compatibility issues with Visual Studio in particular. They took the Java Virtual machine out of the OS and it's wreaked havoc on a lot of my programs. Being a human factors engineer I pay a lot of attention to interfaces and I think Vista is a step back from XP (prettier but less functional), but it's miles ahead of any Linux distro I've used.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="H8sMikeMoore"]1. The OS isnt as secure as Windows is 2. The only way to get the OS is to buy the machine 3.Less functionality 4. less software that runs on it 5. BOOT CAMP! are you kidding me? You try and be an alternative to windows and you RUN windows?? come on. Macs arent better, if you wanna stick it to microsoft get linux.

It doesn't need to be, yet. Good. No compatibility issues like Vista. The OS will always provide a good experience for the user. What? Less software, like what? Windows might have about a millions versions of everything but you'll only ever need one. I have yet to need a piece of software that isn't available to me through an equivalent OS X version. It's just there if you need it. Maybe some day you'd need to make... a database. :lol:
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts
meh, i got os x, and its all i really need outa a computer, windows is fine, i dont go out and say it sucks like most other mac users though. The only reason i would go out and get a pc is for games though, thats it, for everything else my mac does great
kornholio360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kornholio360
Member since 2006 • 6973 Posts

Yeah, Vista sucks and fails on every level. Then again, so does everything else that Microsoft has ever made. Come on everybody, hop on the Microsoft hate bandwagon and go buy a Mac!

[spoiler] Am I doing it right? :lol: [/spoiler]

odyssey_divine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 odyssey_divine
Member since 2004 • 19295 Posts
no, but this thread does.Tjeremiah1988
:lol:, quality!!
babyblue2525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 babyblue2525
Member since 2008 • 280 Posts
I like my windows Vista for the most part except that for some reason it won't let me play my Neverwinter Nights Game on it, but the part two works just fine.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]I think he's referring to direct "hacking" or whatever those people get up to these days when they're not making viruses. Either way, Apple have no need of improving OS X in this regard at the moment. To do such a comparison is meaningless.H8sMikeMoore
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=operating_systems&articleId=9072959&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_top

Already read that. Totally meaningless, as I said.
H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 H8sMikeMoore

[QUOTE="H8sMikeMoore"]1. The OS isnt as secure as Windows is 2. The only way to get the OS is to buy the machine 3.Less functionality 4. less software that runs on it 5. BOOT CAMP! are you kidding me? You try and be an alternative to windows and you RUN windows?? come on. Macs arent better, if you wanna stick it to microsoft get linux. SolidSnake35
It doesn't need to be, yet. Good. No compatibility issues like Vista. The OS will always provide a good experience for the user. What? Less software, like what? Windows might have about a millions versions of everything but you'll only ever need one. I have yet to need a piece of software that isn't available to me through an equivalent OS X version. It's just there if you need it. Maybe some day you'd need to make... a database. :lol:

I dont know of any compaitibility issues since the service pack.

Id rather have an option, rather than ONE alternative. having many makes for the best.