has anyone here ever taken a music appreciation class?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

I have a few years ago and thats why im a lot more tolerant of different types of music that i would normally never listen to. For instance i can i listen to things ranging from pop to Opera and still enjoy it because i know how difficult it is to sing like that. I'm still a rocker at heart but i am more open to other types of music nowadays because of it.

I just wanted to know how many people in this forum have taken a class or at least get why other music that you dont listen to is still good.

Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts
I respect music, but I only truely appreciate my own (Children of Bodom, Bullet For My Valentine) and they wouldnt play my music in that class, haha.
Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Luncbox1
Member since 2006 • 4543 Posts
I've never taken such a class, but I am similar to you in this regard; I like many styles of music, and if I don't like it I still don't consider it "bad", it's just not my kind of music.
RPG10080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RPG10080
Member since 2005 • 7075 Posts
No, though I intend to once I am in college. Being involved in band has helped me appreciate various types of music I never would have considered before, and I'm all for broadening that range if I can...
IcE-Fu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IcE-Fu-
Member since 2005 • 3590 Posts

My brother took that class.. easy A class, take it if you like music.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serraph105

My brother took that class.. easy A class, take it if you like music.

IcE-Fu-

well thats the truth i originally took that class for the grade but its one of the more important classes i took (at least in my mind)

Slump3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Slump3317
Member since 2007 • 305 Posts
I believe I took a class much like a music appreciation class in Junior High. Can't say it did much for me although the teacher was very knowledgable and it was fun to pick his brain every now and then. I was raised in music as my mother is a classical pianist so I have always had an appreciation for classical and jazz. I think I was probably introduced to rock by my brothers who were largely 80's fans. I'm pretty tolerant of all music that is at least made intelligently whether thats found in it's lyrics or tones. Anymore all I listen to is Bach, Dylan, and Marley though.
Avatar image for Sargatanas13576
Sargatanas13576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sargatanas13576
Member since 2007 • 1381 Posts
EZ A 4 sure. Was one of the first four college classes I ever took.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serraph105

EZ A 4 sure. Was one of the first four college classes I ever took.Sargatanas13576

i took it in high school but whatever

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts

I took a beginner's music class last year in college. It was pretty much an appreciation class.

InterpolWilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 InterpolWilco
Member since 2005 • 2487 Posts

I did a few Internships. One in a Recording studio, the other in a jingle house. I then was an apprentice for a Composer (won't say who, but if you like Video Game music you might know him).

Yeah, once you start getting into all this stuff, your opinion changes.

I was like a lot of the snobby metal heads on this forum. Now my favorite bands are Social D, MXPX, etc, etc and I just bought a Cartel album. And when Justin Timberlake was on the radio (my gf had control of the radio in the car) I'd leave it on, and actually enjoyed some of it songs.

Your taste just changes. Its weird.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Serraph105
hey look at this im bumping my own meager topic
Erasorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Erasorn
Member since 2004 • 14502 Posts

I did a few Internships. One in a Recording studio, the other in a jingle house. I then was an apprentice for a Composer (won't say who, but if you like Video Game music you might know him).

Yeah, once you start getting into all this stuff, your opinion changes.

I was like a lot of the snobby metal heads on this forum. Now my favorite bands are Social D, MXPX, etc, etc and I just bought a Cartel album. And when Justin Timberlake was on the radio (my gf had control of the radio in the car) I'd leave it on, and actually enjoyed some of it songs.

Your taste just changes. Its weird.

InterpolWilco
That's pretty much the same for me, except I havn't done those internships. My appreciation for music instead broadened when I started playing Bass and just started learning more about music. These days I listen more to Justin Timberlake then any metal actually. :lol:
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts

I did but I don't appreciate music any more than before.

It did teach me to count beats though! Helps with Guitar Hero :P

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts
no, because I'm a music major :D
USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 USSJAndrew
Member since 2004 • 5042 Posts
No, because I already know how to appreciate music... ;)
Omega_Zero69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Omega_Zero69
Member since 2006 • 13668 Posts
no but im gonna take it this summer in a school nearby
soldier-dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 soldier-dark
Member since 2005 • 5909 Posts
No, because I'd rather not have someone trying to convince me to appreciate music I hate, like the new rock out today and stuff like that. I don't find writing music that hard, the only real problem I see with making music is that you need money, and lots of it, and it shouldn't be wasted on poorly made music.
Avatar image for M-e-t-h-o-d-206
M-e-t-h-o-d-206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 M-e-t-h-o-d-206
Member since 2006 • 1986 Posts
takinf one right now.
TallicaFan2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 TallicaFan2005
Member since 2005 • 4126 Posts

I did in the fall semester and really enjoyed it. I kind of liked classical before, but actually learning about the various periods of music, composer's lives, and the music itself I found myself more interested. And like you, I had never cared about opera before, but part of Madama Butterfly was included on the listening CD's that came with the textbook and after hearing it I went out and bought the opera.

I also had to go to a classical performance for the class, and that really helped me realize that I can go to them more often. However I felt entirely out of place (went to see the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra) because everyone seemed to be in their high class social groups drinking martinis and wearing fancy suits, and I was just in a shirt, tie and khakis and didn't really do anything but sit in my seat awaiting the performance (and amazing one of Brahm's Tragic Overture and Tchaikovsky's Symphony no. 5).

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
I took History and Appreciation of Rock Music last semester. Easiest A+ in a college class ever. Boring as hell though.
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
One of my sisters did . . . I didn't see the point. Why not learn to play an instrument instead? Of course she already played the piano, and so maybe it was fine for her . . .
cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts
Since I study music, I've had to learn to appreciate music I didn't use to hear before...
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Hmm, no but you gave me an idea for an easy A :D
Avatar image for gorilazandgames
gorilazandgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gorilazandgames
Member since 2006 • 7937 Posts
I don't think one needs to take a class to appreciate music.....
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts

I did in the fall semester and really enjoyed it. I kind of liked classical before, but actually learning about the various periods of music, composer's lives, and the music itself I found myself more interested. And like you, I had never cared about opera before, but part of Madama Butterfly was included on the listening CD's that came with the textbook and after hearing it I went out and bought the opera.

I also had to go to a classical performance for the class, and that really helped me realize that I can go to them more often. However I felt entirely out of place (went to see the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra) because everyone seemed to be in their high class social groups drinking martinis and wearing fancy suits, and I was just in a shirt, tie and khakis and didn't really do anything but sit in my seat awaiting the performance (and amazing one of Brahm's Tragic Overture and Tchaikovsky's Symphony no. 5).

TallicaFan2005
Sweet, should have had a Death Metal t-shirt :D
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

I don't think one needs to take a class to appreciate music.....gorilazandgames

I think you're missing the point if you think that's what the course is designed to do. It's designed to introduce you to music, not teach you to like it. A cIass that's designed to teach a person to like music would be a pretty stupid idea. But you may come to like some music you didn't like before when you learn something about it.

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

In my freshman (9th) year of school, I took home school class of if. It was just your basic general introduction into to the subject -- rather easy course at that.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

[QUOTE="gorilazandgames"]I don't think one needs to take a class to appreciate music.....pianist

I think you're missing the point if you think that's what the course is designed to do. It's designed to introduce you to music, not teach you to like it. A cIass that's designed to teach a person to like music would be a pretty stupid idea. But you may come to like some music you didn't like before when you learn something about it.

Personally, I don't see the point. Wouldn't it then just be easier to go to a classical/neoclassic forum and just ask for recommendations?