has anybody changed their mind about religion due to a thread?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

Well have you? If not can we stop making religion threads?

BTW I know this wont work but I feel I must try.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

i've lost a great deal of respect for some faiths due to the actions of a few on these boards - so yeah, it has changed my mind. not in the way they'd hope though. funny how some bad apples can spoil the bunch.

i totally am with you in stopping 'recruitment / pulpit / preaching' threads. religious discussion is fine, but i think when it turns towards preaching it has no place here - not to mention the fact many of them that do it spend no time with games / gaming and this is a gaming board (look at their profiles, a few game reviews when they sign up to make it look authentic then all religious).

i also feel they have no place here due to the age and impressionability of many of our posters.

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
POLL is necessary to the outcome. By the way, no. The whole 'Believe or go to hell' thing doesn't work so well on me... Or most people here I assume.
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

No I have never.
Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sunsha
Member since 2005 • 20662 Posts
No they just change my opinion about humanity. :-P
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
i rarely read them in full. i have nothing against religion (i'm atheist btw), but just the fact that atheists and religions are regularly debated on the off-topic forum of a video game website makes me cringe. but really, my opinions hardly change from these threads, even though i usually only get as far as to reading the topic titles of these topics
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 3picuri3
i rarely read them in full. i have nothing against religion (i'm atheist btw), but just the fact that atheists and religions are regularly debated on the off-topic forum of a video game website makes me cringe.bulletsword
it's rarely debate which is my problem. it's more akin to preaching.
anterocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 anterocide
Member since 2007 • 136 Posts
It was going to change my mind but then I changed my mind again, and now I don't know where my mind has gone.
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
penn and teller bull****, this forum, and a couple of my friends realized that religion is unecessary
Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts
Crushmaster and blackregiment have convinced me that I'm a lying, blasphemous, adulterous, murderous thief, and that I should repent.
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
Some people here have made me hate religion even more.
Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts
A more interesting question would be "do you believe that a poster from Gamespot has ever changed his beliefs because of a thread in OT?" >_> My answer would be "No".
Saije

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Saije
Member since 2004 • 417 Posts
Yeah Im a convert to the way of the Cynical bastard...
Puscifer_No1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Puscifer_No1
Member since 2006 • 2769 Posts
[QUOTE="Serraph105"]

No. I could care less about anyone else's attitudes towards my beliefs. If you don't like how I think/feel/believe, then I have a few choice words for you ;) And I agree, in the space of 2 days, OT has gone from OT to Religon 101. Who seriously cares about other people's beliefs?! If you care that much about it then I think you are the one with a problem. /rant.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Nope. And, no, it won't work :P.
Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sunsha
Member since 2005 • 20662 Posts
A more interesting question would be "do you believe that a poster from Gamespot has ever changed his beliefs because of a thread in OT?" >_> My answer would be "No".Hungry_bunny
Not to go too far off topic but your icon makes me think "female bunny Link!" >.>
Mr_Leonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mr_Leonis
Member since 2007 • 4615 Posts
Not at all. I don't want to be a part of any religion.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts
Nope. And, no, it won't work :P.chessmaster1989
*shakes head* I know
Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts
[QUOTE="Hungry_bunny"]A more interesting question would be "do you believe that a poster from Gamespot has ever changed his beliefs because of a thread in OT?" >_> My answer would be "No".Sunsha
Not to go too far off topic but your icon makes me think "female bunny Link!" >.>

Not to go too off-topic myself but that is VERY common >.> it's not Link though. But if you want to continue believing it's "female bunny Link" then I won't stop you.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
Crushmaster and blackregiment have convinced me that I'm a lying, blasphemous, adulterous, murderous thief, and that I should repent.Blood-Scribe
Yeah that is true. :|
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#21 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
No..and I ma one of those that would like to see them stopping wasting space. And not just the believers started threads,but the ones trying to disprove religion are a waste of space to me too. Worst threads in OT. At least girl help threads and politic threads might have something to with an issue that actually effects somebody in reality,you know.
tommat119944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 tommat119944
Member since 2008 • 970 Posts
If your so easily swayed from your belief by being told of others, you shouldn't have been believeing in whatever it was in the first place, so it was going to happen sooner or later reallly.
Saije

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Saije
Member since 2004 • 417 Posts

To play the devils... Errr Gods advocate for a change.

I HAVE to believe in God, I don't know how anyone can find the strength to stand the next day knowing their every action is based on nothing more then the consensus of the flawed human race. The idea that the simple choice of the largest mass of bodies determines right and wrong and not some higher power makes me sick to my stomach. Humans find a lack of faith in God the most convenient thing to tell themselves. It allows instant justification of any action, perversion or desire they may find rewarding or personally advantageous. Now I'm not saying that everyone is going to Hell, but quite frankly the idea of everyone being able to decide their own virtue is repulsive. That's like me killing someone and not caring, who's to tell me I'm wrong? Right and wrong are nothing more then illusions we use to maintain the palatable masses and cement the power base of a few dry old fools. I refuse to accept that and if believing in God is the only alternative to such a meaningless and dark existence I not only gladly believe I HAVE to.

Avatar image for the_foreign_guy
the_foreign_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_foreign_guy
Member since 2005 • 22657 Posts
Nah. The threads just make me facepalm, since there's atleast 3 on the front page at all times.
Dark-Sithious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dark-Sithious
Member since 2008 • 3914 Posts

penn and teller bull****, this forum, and a couple of my friends realized that religion is unecessary lonewolf604

Penn and teller made you change your mind about something? :lol:

I'm sorry, but that show is an atrocity, and regarding their episode about the Bible or whatnot, it was a poorly put together mess, with no value what so ever. A 14 year old could have done a better job picking the bible apart.

Moroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 Moroes
Member since 2008 • 2041 Posts
I sure hope not. I would lose all hope in humanity if someone changed their beliefs due to a thread on a gaming website.
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bloodbath_87
[QUOTE="Saije"]

To play the devils... Errr Gods advocate for a change.

I HAVE to believe in God, I don't know how anyone can find the strength to stand the next day knowing their every action is based on nothing more then the consensus of the flawed human race. The idea that the simple choice of the largest mass of bodies determines right and wrong and not some higher power makes me sick to my stomach. Humans find a lack of faith in God the most convenient thing to tell themselves. It allows instant justification of any action, perversion or desire they may find rewarding or personally advantageous. Now I'm not saying that everyone is going to Hell, but quite frankly the idea of everyone being able to decide their own virtue is repulsive. That's like me killing someone and not caring, who's to tell me I'm wrong? Right and wrong are nothing more then illusions we use to maintain the palatable masses and cement the power base of a few dry old fools. I refuse to accept that and if believing in God is the only alternative to such a meaningless and dark existence I not only gladly believe I HAVE to.

Calm down.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#28 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
Nah. The threads just make me facepalm, since there's atleast 3 on the front page at all times.the_foreign_guy
actually,if you count both the christian and atheist threads,and dont count this one,there are like six at the moment. Smells like spam to me.
Jewboy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jewboy25
Member since 2009 • 103 Posts
nope. and I rather enjoy other peoples opinions and musings on whoever they believe in.
Lisaanne30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 Lisaanne30
Member since 2007 • 1472 Posts
no lol obviously you weren't true believer in your religion if you change it cause of one thread
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bloodbath_87
I sure hope not. I would lose all hope in humanity if someone changed their beliefs due to a thread on a gaming website.Moroes
You would lose all hope in humanity if one person changed their beliefs due to a thread on the internet? Don't you think that's a little dramatic?
Parandrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Parandrus
Member since 2008 • 2511 Posts
I've lost respect for people who practice their religion and are completely ignorant towards other beliefs. The threads have turned me more away from religion then I was before.
warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 warbmxjohn
Member since 2007 • 6014 Posts
At this point I highly doubt anyone has the capacitance to alter my beleifs due to a severe lack of evidence. But I will say that my methods of debating, and my knowledge and understanding have grown due to exploring religous threads here on the OT. Theres always something to learn.
Parandrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Parandrus
Member since 2008 • 2511 Posts
At this point I highly doubt anyone has the capacitance to alter my beleifs due to a severe lack of evidence. But I will say that my methods of debating, and my knowledge and understanding have grown due to exploring religous threads here on the OT. Theres always something to learn.warbmxjohn
I read every one of the threads because of that, though I don't really post in them. My opinions are expressed much more clearly by other users.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
no not really. Lol the lack of win in these threads is disturbing.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Not really, honestly I think a large % of people in those threads learned everything they know about that topic from movies.
Moroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 Moroes
Member since 2008 • 2041 Posts
[QUOTE="Moroes"]I sure hope not. I would lose all hope in humanity if someone changed their beliefs due to a thread on a gaming website.Bloodbath_87
You would lose all hope in humanity if one person changed their beliefs due to a thread on the internet? Don't you think that's a little dramatic?

No.. just a mixture of things. I guess that will be the straw that breaks the camel's back :P
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Teenaged
Not really, honestly I think a large % of people in those threads learned everything they know about that topic from movies.duxup
Noooooooooooo! That would be stupid. We reside to Dan Brown alone! :P
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 3picuri3
[QUOTE="Blood-Scribe"]Crushmaster and blackregiment have convinced me that I'm a lying, blasphemous, adulterous, murderous thief, and that I should repent.Teenaged

i hope you're both being sarcastic.
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 3picuri3
Humans find a lack of faith in God the most convenient thing to tell themselves. Saije
one could argue the opposite with just about as much conviction and validity. depends on your situation, intellect, desires. religion is like comfort food to some, a crutch with which to lean against without giving much thought. no need to examine things yourself as the rules of conduct are all laid out to you in your religious texts. say what you will about those that don't believe, but by no means live under the illusion that those that don't believe are doing so out of convenience. it's an incredibly ignorant way to look at things.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Blood-Scribe"]Crushmaster and blackregiment have convinced me that I'm a lying, blasphemous, adulterous, murderous thief, and that I should repent.3picuri3

Of course! :P Don't worry...
warbmxjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 warbmxjohn
Member since 2007 • 6014 Posts
[QUOTE="Saije"] Humans find a lack of faith in God the most convenient thing to tell themselves. 3picuri3
one could argue the opposite with just about as much conviction and validity. depends on your situation, intellect, desires. religion is like comfort food to some, a crutch with which to lean against without giving much thought. no need to examine things yourself as the rules of conduct are all laid out to you in your religious texts. say what you will about those that don't believe, but by no means live under the illusion that those that don't believe are doing so out of convenience. it's an incredibly ignorant way to look at things.

Not to mention making vague, unbased statements like that usually say more about the person who said it. ;)
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
No one on gamespot has ever changed my opinion on anything, let alone religion.
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 3picuri3
No one on gamespot has ever changed my opinion on anything, let alone religion.McJugga
changing ones mind doesn't necessarily have to involve changing ones opinion.
Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts

[QUOTE="3picuri3"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]Yeah that is true. :|Teenaged

Honestly, have any of those intervangelism threads accomplished anything?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#46 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
I've never had my mind completely changed, but there have been times where a point someone made forced me to re-evaluate or rework something I previously stated, which can only be a good thing in my view. If nothing anyone has ever said has ever caused you to even think for one moment about something that you previously asserted, then I can safely say you're doing it wrong. :P
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="3picuri3"] i hope you're both being sarcastic. Blood-Scribe

Honestly, have any of those intervangelism threads accomplished anything?

Only irritation and occasional laughs.
foolio_67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 foolio_67
Member since 2003 • 8866 Posts
The main point that I have taken from the religion threads is that the vast majority of people have little to no understanding of religion.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Teenaged
The main point that I have taken from the religion threads is that the vast majority of people have little to no understanding of religion.foolio_67
And the exact opposite. ;)
Severed_Hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Severed_Hand
Member since 2007 • 3402 Posts
No, I havent. But i have learned more important points and concepts from them.