Good kid, m.A.A.d city

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for HouseMuzik4Life
HouseMuzik4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HouseMuzik4Life
Member since 2010 • 134 Posts

Best album I've heard in years, "Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst" makes me tear up.

10/10

Kendrick Lamar aka the reincarnation of Tupac

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I don't know about "best album in years" but it's really really good.
MarioRPGer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#3 MarioRPGer
Member since 2005 • 11345 Posts

Rivals channel orange as my favorite album of the year. If it's not one of the best rap album in years it's certainly one of if not the best debuts in years.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

swimming pools

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

I honestly think it's just "mehh", it gets old after a few listens. That alien effect he uses became irksome real quick. I prefer O.D and Section 80. It's a shame knowing that him signing to a label will restrict him from illustrating his truly creative mind.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
One of the best albums of the year.
smokingsbad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 smokingsbad
Member since 2004 • 38455 Posts
Just started listening to Kendrick Lamar and I love that album
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

I honestly think it's just "mehh", it gets old after a few listens. That alien effect he uses became irksome real quick. I prefer O.D and Section 80. It's a shame knowing that him signing to a label will restrict him from illustrating his truly creative mind.

Jagged3dge

funny, i find this album his most creative yet. a concept album that's actually fun and engaging. he even admitted that one of the conditions of him signing was that he would have full creative control...and it shows. good kid, maad city is a gem. it's soooo nice to finally see a true lyricist getting mainstream attention.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

[QUOTE="Jagged3dge"]

lazerface216

funny, i find this album his most creative yet. a concept album that's actually fun and engaging. he even admitted that one of the conditions of him signing was that he would have full creative control...and it shows. good kid, maad city is a gem. it's soooo nice to finally see a true lyricist getting mainstream attention.

I agree that it's nice to see Kendrick receive the widespread attention he deserves, even if it is only a result of a subpar club single. However, it's impossible for an artist to have complete creative control through albums nowadays simply because they're trying to appeal to a much larger demographic so they have to sacrifice some of their personal wit. Kendrick can't make songs on an album addressing the fallacy of the illuminati, or get every artistic sample he chooses. It's a fact that albums, or the executives behind the label rather, force the artist to be more restrictive.

Kendrick Lamar can't produce songs like ADHD because the general populous won't be able to decipher the intricate and peculiar message. Those songs are sacrificed for tracks like Poetic Justice, Swimming Pools and Backseat freestyle.