Going To a New School, and I'm Scared

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MillenialFair99
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MillenialFair99
Member since 2010 • 2866 Posts

I've refrained from asking this for a while now, but then I though "screw it." I'm now permanently moved in with my mom and new step-dad, and that means that I'm moving to a new school. Their curriculum is slightly behind my, so I'm fine when it comes to school work. But I have a problem. That's making friends, and honestly, I'm shy around people I don't know(Very talkative with everyone else though). Can you please help a teenaged kid out and give me some advice on making friends in a new school? I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts

Beat up the biggest kid in school, and sleep with his girlfriend. That usually works.

Seriously though, just try to get involved in school activities, sports, clubs, etc. That's usually the easiest way.

MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MillenialFair99

Beat up the biggest kid in school, and sleep with his girlfriend. That usually works.

Seriously though, just try to get involved in school activities, sports, clubs, etc. That's usually the easiest way.

ethanpaige

I'll take that into consideration.

NiteLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 NiteLights
Member since 2010 • 1181 Posts

Honestly, just be yourself. That's how most kids are popular, they just be themselves. And treat everybody with respect.

chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
Join clubs... whether it's sports or StuCo or whatever.
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MillenialFair99

Honestly, just be yourself. That's how most kids are popular, they just be themselves. And treat everybody with respect.

NiteLights
Not the way it works around here. All of the jackass people who treat everyone like crap are popular for some reason. :?
NiteLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NiteLights

[QUOTE="NiteLights"]

MillenialFair99

Not the way it works around here. All of the jackass people who treat everyone like crap are popular for some reason. :?

The world these days . . .

But still, treat everybody with respect, it's what makes you better. ;)

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#8 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

NiteLights

I must watch too much Full House, because I like this kind-hearted approach to entering a new school.

But yeah, don't be shy, just be yourself and be friends with everyone, even the slow fat kid that falls behind and always goes "wait up guiz!"

Link334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Link334
Member since 2007 • 6082 Posts
Find people who like you for you and like the same things as you. Just sit in class. Wear a shirt of a band you like or a game or movie and see how many comments you get on it. Then talk to those people.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23034 Posts

NiteLights
Huh, your high school was quite a bit different from mine.

My advice would be to not really worry about being popular or part of the "In" crowd. Join some clubs or activities that interest you, which will allow you to more easily meet people who share your interests, and then let friendships develop from there.
NiteLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NiteLights

Find people who like you for you and like the same things as you. Just sit in class. Wear a shirt of a band you like or a game or movie and see how many comments you get on it. Then talk to those people.Link334
Very good point as well.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Run into school yelling at the top of your lungs "LEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOY JEEEEEEEENKIIIIINNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" This will get you shunned by the "popular" kids and earn you a ton of respect by the "nerdy" (but in reality, awesome) kids. Good way to start out.

PS Please don't do this. If you do, take a video of it and post it on Youtube and post the link here. Thanks ;)

In reality, just be yourself, go out for some school clubs and activities, and just start chatting up the people that sit next to you in class. Trust me, I was/am in your position. I tend to hang with the younger crowd (I'm a junior and hang with some juniors, sophomores and freshman), so that might be helpful for you, the younger kids aren't as intimidating.

MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MillenialFair99
Find people who like you for you and like the same things as you. Just sit in class. Wear a shirt of a band you like or a game or movie and see how many comments you get on it. Then talk to those people.Link334
The whole brand shirt thing has worked quite well in the past. I'll wear my Led Zeppelin shirt the first day, then see what happens. :)
superquesoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#14 superquesoman
Member since 2009 • 284 Posts

Uhhmm Support Groups??

NiteLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NiteLights

[QUOTE="NiteLights"]

mattbbpl

My advice would be to not really worry about being popular or part of the "In" crowd. Join some clubs or activities that interest you, which will allow you to more easily meet people who share your interests, and then let friendships develop from there.

Yeah, there was the occasional ****head but most people at my high school were friendly. :)

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="NiteLights"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="NiteLights"]

Yeah, there was the occasional ****head but most people at my high school were friendly. :)

I enjoyed my time in high school, but it's only because I had a decent image. If the majority perceived you as inferior for some reason, you're life in my school was a living nightmare - which is weird because I went to a small school so you'd think it would be a little better.
Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

Hm, I can't really give any new advice from the stuff people have already mentioned. Um...maybe be sure to have a ready supply of school materials as well? Nobody really likes a moocher or someone who keeps asking to borrow a pen or to have some paper.

Run into school yelling at the top of your lungs "LEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOY JEEEEEEEENKIIIIINNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" This will get you shunned by the "popular" kids and earn you a ton of respect by the "nerdy" (but in reality, awesome) kids. Good way to start out.

PS Please don't do this. If you do, take a video of it and post it on Youtube and post the link here. Thanks ;)

Grodus5

sage advice :P

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#18 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

That is a normal feeling when facing something new like going to a new school or getting a new job. Just let it be, and eventually you will fit in.

NiteLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NiteLights

[QUOTE="NiteLights"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"] Huh, your high school was quite a bit different from mine.

My advice would be to not really worry about being popular or part of the "In" crowd. Join some clubs or activities that interest you, which will allow you to more easily meet people who share your interests, and then let friendships develop from there.mattbbpl

I enjoyed my time in high school, but it's only because I had a decent image. If the majority perceived you as inferior for some reason, you're life in my school was a living nightmare - which is weird because I went to a small school so you'd think it would be a little better.

Yeah, I knew some kids who got bullied, they must have hated school. I sometimes went out of my way to make it a bit better for them, hopefully it paid off.

MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MillenialFair99
[QUOTE="NiteLights"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="NiteLights"] Yeah, there was the occasional ****head but most people at my high school were friendly. :)

Yeah, I knew some kids who got bullied, they must have hated school. I sometimes went out of my way to make it a bit better for them, hopefully it paid off.

There was a suicide at my school once. Also unrelated, my friend died in 3rd grade.
Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

[QUOTE="NiteLights"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"] I enjoyed my time in high school, but it's only because I had a decent image. If the majority perceived you as inferior for some reason, you're life in my school was a living nightmare - which is weird because I went to a small school so you'd think it would be a little better.MillenialFair99

There was a suicide at my school once. Also unrelated, my friend died in 3rd grade.

From suicide? :o

Oh I forgot to wish you well in your new school. Good luck with making new friends and having fun.

MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MillenialFair99
[QUOTE="Ceraby"]

[QUOTE="MillenialFair99"][QUOTE="NiteLights"] Yeah, I knew some kids who got bullied, they must have hated school. I sometimes went out of my way to make it a bit better for them, hopefully it paid off.

From suicide? :o

Oh I forgot to wish you well in your new school. Good luck with making new friends and having fun.

Thanks, I appreciate it. :) If only it were as easy as making friends on here....
hedden93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 hedden93
Member since 2009 • 5496 Posts

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="NiteLights"] Yeah, there was the occasional ****head but most people at my high school were friendly. :)

NiteLights

There is this kid at my school who is a little weird but hes not a bad person. Anyway I remember one time in Science he put his head down and some preppy girl slapped him in the head and all her preppy friends just laughed. It was pretty messed up. I got pretty pissed and told them off. I hate when people mess with other people for there own satisfaction. :x

Edit: anyway TC, just be yourself. I know that sounds corny and lame but its true. Just relax and be you.

NiteLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NiteLights

[QUOTE="NiteLights"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"] I enjoyed my time in high school, but it's only because I had a decent image. If the majority perceived you as inferior for some reason, you're life in my school was a living nightmare - which is weird because I went to a small school so you'd think it would be a little better.MillenialFair99

That sucks. :(

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#25 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

[QUOTE="NiteLights"]

How did your friend die?

mattpunkgd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 mattpunkgd
Member since 2007 • 2198 Posts

Ok this is what you do... pick a kid that youknow you could beat on, then start by pissing him off a lot and all of a sudden if he says something back beat the living **** **** out of that piece of **** and take his money. You will be cool and you will get all the girlies in your pants.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#27 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
Normally the locker lean will attract all kinds of wanted attention. The chicks, oh lord, they dig it!
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MillenialFair99

[QUOTE="MillenialFair99"][QUOTE="NiteLights"] Yeah, I knew some kids who got bullied, they must have hated school. I sometimes went out of my way to make it a bit better for them, hopefully it paid off.

ThePerro

How did your friend die?

He had heart problems. He always wore a chest protector.

NiteLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NiteLights

Normally the locker lean will attract all kinds of wanted attention. The chicks, oh lord, they dig it!Wilfred_Owen
Remember also to carry your bag over your right shoulder, the chicks dig it.

MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MillenialFair99
Normally the locker lean will attract all kinds of wanted attention. The chicks, oh lord, they dig it!Wilfred_Owen
That's how I naturally stand in the hallway. I lean on something with one leg crossing the other. :P
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="hedden93"]

[QUOTE="NiteLights"]

I enjoyed my time in high school, but it's only because I had a decent image. If the majority perceived you as inferior for some reason, you're life in my school was a living nightmare - which is weird because I went to a small school so you'd think it would be a little better.mattbbpl

There is this kid at my school who is a little weird but hes not a bad person. Anyway I remember one time in Science he put his head down and some preppy girl slapped him in the head and all her preppy friends just laughed. It was pretty messed up. I got pretty pissed and told them off. I hate when people mess with other people for there own satisfaction. :x

That same thing actually happened to a mentally handicapped teammate of mine in class, except he was slapped in the back of the head by a football player during a lecture. I don't think I've ever been so mad in my life - I got out of my chair and shouted in his face that if he touched him again he'd have to fight me as well. To the teacher's credit, he just smiled and continued lecturing when I sat back down - I could have been in some serious trouble.

There must be some kind of psych reason for this type of behavior at that age. It's too prevalent to be mere coincident. I should have taken developmental psych when I was in college.
Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wilfred_Owen
[QUOTE="Wilfred_Owen"]Normally the locker lean will attract all kinds of wanted attention. The chicks, oh lord, they dig it!MillenialFair99
That's how I naturally stand in the hallway. I lean on something with one leg crossing the other. :P

Your making me, a manly man, blush just thinkin about it. Oh lord!
BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts

I've refrained from asking this for a while now, but then I though "screw it." I'm now permanently moved in with my mom and new step-dad, and that means that I'm moving to a new school. Their curriculum is slightly behind my, so I'm fine when it comes to school work. But I have a problem. That's making friends, and honestly, I'm shy around people I don't know(Very talkative with everyone else though). Can you please help a teenaged kid out and give me some advice on making friends in a new school? I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

MillenialFair99
I know how you feel. I'm going to college this year, and have no idea whats in store for me. Just know that even if you don't make friends the first few days, every day brings new opportunity for things like friendship.
NiteLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NiteLights

[QUOTE="NiteLights"]

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"] I enjoyed my time in high school, but it's only because I had a decent image. If the majority perceived you as inferior for some reason, you're life in my school was a living nightmare - which is weird because I went to a small school so you'd think it would be a little better.hedden93

People like that get me worked up. :x

NiteLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NiteLights

[QUOTE="hedden93"]

[QUOTE="NiteLights"] Yeah, I knew some kids who got bullied, they must have hated school. I sometimes went out of my way to make it a bit better for them, hopefully it paid off.

mattbbpl

That same thing actually happened to a mentally handicapped teammate of mine in class, except he was slapped in the back of the head by a football player during a lecture. I don't think I've ever been so mad in my life - I got out of my chair and shouted in his face that if he touched him again he'd have to fight me as well. To the teacher's credit, he just smiled and continued lecturing when I sat back down - I could have been in some serious trouble.

There must be some kind of psych reason for this type of behavior at that age. It's too prevalent to be mere coincident. I should have taken developmental psych when I was in college.

Good on you. :) There's not many people that stand up for the weaker ones.

MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MillenialFair99

[QUOTE="MillenialFair99"][QUOTE="Wilfred_Owen"]Normally the locker lean will attract all kinds of wanted attention. The chicks, oh lord, they dig it!Wilfred_Owen

Your making me, a manly man, blush just thinkin about it. Oh lord!

I hope you don't think I'm lying. :P I add aviators for an added touch. 8)

BTW I love the sig.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Wilfred_Owen
[QUOTE="hedden93"]There is this kid at my school who is a little weird but hes not a bad person. Anyway I remember one time in Science he put his head down and some preppy girl slapped him in the head and all her preppy friends just laughed. It was pretty messed up. I got pretty pissed and told them off. I hate when people mess with other people for there own satisfaction. :xNiteLights

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wilfred_Owen
I hope you don't think I'm lying. :P BTW, I love the sig.MillenialFair99
 Thanks.
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MillenialFair99
[QUOTE="MillenialFair99"] I hope you don't think I'm lying. :P BTW, I love the sig.Wilfred_Owen
 Thanks.

So much Psych!!!!! :D
NiteLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NiteLights

[QUOTE="NiteLights"][QUOTE="hedden93"]There is this kid at my school who is a little weird but hes not a bad person. Anyway I remember one time in Science he put his head down and some preppy girl slapped him in the head and all her preppy friends just laughed. It was pretty messed up. I got pretty pissed and told them off. I hate when people mess with other people for there own satisfaction. :xWilfred_Owen

Anger . . .

I find this picture appropriate. :P

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wilfred_Owen

Anger . . .
I find this picture appropriate. :PNiteLights

Then its time for plan b. You need to

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
In every school I've gone to, everyone tries to be super nice to the new kid. Unless you're a huge freak right off the bat, you shouldn't have much of a problem.
flash_drive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 flash_drive
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts

Don't worry, I start at a new school on Monday, but see if you are funny at all- that REALLY helps.

MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MillenialFair99
In every school I've gone to, everyone tries to be super nice to the new kid. Unless you're a huge freak right off the bat, you shouldn't have much of a problem.XilePrincess
Whenever new kids came to my school, they were completely ignored. Either that, or my grade is racist since the new kid was the only African American in the grade. :P
Avatar image for Bad-School-Girl
Bad-School-Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bad-School-Girl
Member since 2010 • 880 Posts

Don't try to be popular. Being popular is bad, it gaurentees that you will have to deal with the ******bags up top. I'd rather have absolutely no friends that people that pretend to be my friend because i'm popular. And don't become popular for the wrong reason, that's the worst thing you can do. Don't be a tool, the popular people will most likely exploit and use you. Instead, look for good friends that you can relate to. REAL friends.

TweekzAlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TweekzAlot
Member since 2010 • 318 Posts

[QUOTE="NiteLights"]

MillenialFair99

Yeah this is becoming truer and truer. Its sad

chAzN93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 chAzN93
Member since 2004 • 34854 Posts

play sports...

loft8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 loft8000
Member since 2008 • 1435 Posts

Let people who want to be friends approach you first, if people try mess with you, hit them with a baseball bat or something