Glenn Beck: "African-American is a bogus, PC, made-up term - not a race&quo

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts

link

thoughts?

as as side:

Beck hosted a show called African American Conservatives as well

Judo_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Judo_boy
Member since 2003 • 6063 Posts

I hate Glenn Beck but Ive always thought that African-American is a totally hollow and inaccurate term.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Sometimes, people do things that words kinda can't describe. My reaction to this case for instance. Anger that people listen to this fellow, confusion as to why the hell he is given air time, and embarrassment that this guy represents the right. Hardly covers my reaction to his stupidity.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 weezyfb

I hate Glenn Beck but Ive always thought that African-American is a totally hollow and inaccurate term.

Judo_boy
what term do you use?
warriordoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 warriordoc
Member since 2005 • 636 Posts

Did he happen to cry, profess his love for America, and ask a stupid hypothetical question like "Where is the America I used to know?" as well?

theBeorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 theBeorn
Member since 2003 • 1378 Posts
[QUOTE="Judo_boy"]

weezyfb
what term do you use?

nothing wrong in saying BLACK.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
Glenn BeckTC
Well, there's your problem!
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts
He is kinda right, I never liked that term and dont use it.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
As a black guy I hate being called African-American. I prefer to be called Black. I am Clayron. I am a Black guy.
JadeNic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JadeNic
Member since 2007 • 905 Posts

[QUOTE="Judo_boy"]

weezyfb

what term do you use?

Uhm, how about just American?

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
He is actually right for once :O It really is a nonsensical term, as what would you call a Jamacian who moved to the US and is black? African American? What about white South Africans? If they move to the US are they African Americans? What about black people living in the UK? Are the African British?
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts

He is right, though. Africa isn't a country, it's a continent. Indeed, I wouldn't be called a European-American because my ancestors came from Italy, England, and Ireland. If anything, I should be called an Italian-American, an English-American, or an Irish-American depending on how dominant one side or the other was in my bloodline.

The term isn't bogus because it's PC, it's inherently bogus given the political situation of the continent.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
I hated being called African American as well. I'd whether be called brown guy....
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
As a black guy I hate being called African-American. I prefer to be called Black. I am Clayron. I am a Black guy.clayron
Wow, no need to use such profanity dude. :P
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 weezyfb
As a black guy I hate being called African-American. I prefer to be called Black. I am Clayron. I am a Black guy.clayron
the thing is many other people like it the other way around. or their specific country hyphenated
kakkarott23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 kakkarott23
Member since 2003 • 2134 Posts
I think today there is so much confusion between race and nationality. Especially if you go by definitions of the terms used or by the fact that 20 years ago there wasn't all this talk about race. Then it was black, white, asian, or native american.
wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wallymartin
Member since 2004 • 12165 Posts

I still remember my high school Gov/Eco teacher refering to blacks that live on the continent of Africa as "African-Americans". One of those moments where you aren't quite sure what you just heard, then you facepalm when you continue to hear it.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Glenn Beck can be a nutcase but I agree with what he said. In fact, any hyphenated word are just a bunch of bogus PC made up terms.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="weezyfb"][QUOTE="Judo_boy"]

theBeorn

what term do you use?

That's just as "bogus", since most "black" people are actually "brown".

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58439 Posts

well for once he is right. Its kinda silly...I dont walk around calling my self German-Scottish-American, or even Caucasion for that matter.

I'm white.

I am sure most black people dont mind being called black, and have actually been told that if you refer to them as african-american it makes it sound like youre tip-toeing around the issue, which they take offense to/feel alienated by.

Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Samurai_Xavier
Member since 2003 • 4364 Posts

I agree with what he said, the term "african american" is innacurate. Is a white person from Africa (like Charlize Theron) also an African-American? It shouldnt be a term for all black people.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

MrGeezer

And most white people are actually beige.

Somebody needs to find the guy who came up with these race terms and give them a color wheel.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
"PC" is a term that's thrown around by people who don't like getting called out when they say something reprehensible.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#24 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Well, I do actually have to say I agree with him here. The term is nonsensical - it has been used in the past to describe both those whose ethnic origin is not Africa and those who are not American. And the term even more nonsensically cannot be used to refer to those who are from Africa and do live in America but who are not black. In fact I would almost consider the implication offensive to say that because someone is black they must be from Africa.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 weezyfb

Well, I do actually have to say I agree with him here. The term is nonsensical - it has been used in the past to describe both those whose ethnic origin is not Africa and those who are not American. And the term even more nonsensically cannot be used to refer to those who are from Africa and do live in America but who are not black. In fact I would almost consider the implication offensive to say that because someone is black they must be from Africa.

GabuEx
well at one point they were from africa
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
I agree. African-American is such a douchebag thing to say. If I insisted I be called European-Canadian, or wherever else I was from, people would laugh. Then again it's hilarious that, having said that, he's hosted a show called "African American Conservative"...
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mrbojangles25

"PC" is a term that's thrown around by people who don't like getting called out when they say something reprehensible.PannicAtack

its also a term people throw out when people make a big deal out of nothing.

Its like if I call a little person a dwarf or midget a "little person" and they give me crap about it. "Little person" is the casual social term for someone who is vertically challened, just like "black" is the casual social term for someone of african descent.

What I would love to see is if someone didnt call them either, but called them "african". I bet they'd get in a whole lot of trouble.

We can call people Irish as if its a statement of their character (even though theyre Irish American, fourth generation or whatever), but I bet they'd get in trouble for calling a black person "african"

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="theBeorn"][QUOTE="weezyfb"] what term do you use?MrGeezer

idunno I have seen some really, really dark skinned blacks. My football coach in high school was essentially black, or at least such a dark brown you couldnt tell the difference.

blacks that dark are quite a rarity though,

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

weezyfb

well at one point they were from africa

Well at one point we were all from Africa, if scientists are right.

Nonetheless, I don't exactly think it is particularly correct to call someone "African" whose only connection to the continent is that his or her great-great-great-great-great-great-...-great grandparent lived there.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

I don't like the term either. Black and white works for me.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts

I hate the term too. Its stupid. I was not born in Africa. Matter of fact if thats the case every human born in America should be African American because the first humans were born in Africa. Anyway you get what I mean. I don't like the term black either because my skin isn't black. I prefer milk chocolate 8), or caramel.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 weezyfb
I don't like the term African American also. It is long and it makes me think of them as your starving people in Africa. Black is shorter and my link Black to Michle Jackson, Jordan, and etc. And they lived in America for so long, African reference is just so out-dated.magicalclick
not everyone is africa is starving
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="theBeorn"] nothing wrong in saying BLACK.mrbojangles25

idunno I have seen some really, really dark skinned blacks. My football coach in high school was essentially black, or at least such a dark brown you couldnt tell the difference.

I've seen a few. But I also live in the USA.

Here in the USA, at least the part in which I live, even many "black" people make jokes about the "BLACK" people.

Admittedly that's still racist, at least as much as a "white" guy making fun of someone who is "black". Or a "black guy" making fun of someone who is "white". Or a "white" guy making fun of someone who is REALLY "WHITE" (I've seen a few of these people too).

In any case, Most whites aren't "white", most blacks aren't "black", and most African-Americans aren't "African-American."

I'm just saying that as far as "innacuracy" goes, there's really not much of a better alternative label. I call white people "white", and yeah...most of them aren't white. Doesn't really seem to make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GabuEx

Here in the USA, at least the part in which I live, even many "black" people make jokes about the "BLACK" people.

Admittedly that's still racist, at least as much as a "white" guy making fun of someone who is "black". Or a "black guy" making fun of someone who is "white". Or a "white" guy making fun of someone who is REALLY "WHITE" (I've seen a few of these people too).

In any case, Most whites aren't "white", most blacks aren't "black", and most African-Americans aren't "African-American."

I'm just saying that as far as "innacuracy" goes, there's really not much of a better alternative label. I call white people "white", and yeah...most of them aren't white. Doesn't really seem to make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

MrGeezer

While I agree with you that the terms "white" and "black" are not exactly accurate, I would say that in terms of percentage error they're certainly closer than "African-American". At least "white" and "black" acknowledge in a forthright manner that it's skin color we're talking about, whereas "African-American" is just stupid - you are in no way intending to refer to the person's country or continent of origin or residence.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
He is right, the question that puzzles me is as to why they come up with something as silly as the term African-american?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

MrGeezer

yea, the only alternative I see is to walk around with paint sample

Oh, this guy is Georgia Peach Pink. Oh, and that fellow is not black, he is Michigan Barn Brown.

Yea....that'd work.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

Judo_boy

^^this. If white people are "white" why can't black people be "black"?

cornholio157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 cornholio157
Member since 2005 • 4603 Posts

i think i get what he was trying to say, african-american should only apply if they were born in africa and emigrated here. if there born here regardless of ancestory they are just an american which is a nationallity not a race.

if they must be more specific then black american seems to be approritate for the census for those who are born here and have african or other dark skined ancestories.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

[QUOTE="theBeorn"][QUOTE="weezyfb"] what term do you use?MrGeezer

*looks at skin* My skin isn't exactly white but I'm not complaining.

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
Why must everything have label in it, I say we just called them you people........ "wait what do you mean why you people" I love it when that happens in a movie :P
Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
Why must everything have label in it, I say we just called them you people........ "wait what do you mean why you people" I love it when that happens in a movie :PCoolSkAGuy
What do you mean.... "YOU PEOPLE"??
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
[QUOTE="weezyfb"][QUOTE="Judo_boy"]

theBeorn
what term do you use?

This. I've never met anybody of any race who was offended by this word. As a Caucasian, I do not find the term "white" offensive.
Homiegesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Homiegesus
Member since 2003 • 5706 Posts

If we started identifying people by their family background then we would be working against the fact that soon enough we will all be mixed entirely to the point where it is completely irrelevant.

Logical speaking, whether or not it was felt that African-American can be an appropriate term for the a portion of the majority of darker skinned individuals, it is illogical to assume a racial background when we are talking about identifying an individual without knowing its heritage or background. When you are identifying a white skinned individual you would not reply "he was an italian/german american because he had a rough German exterior and a hint of oily Italian skin color".

peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 peaceoutmedusa
Member since 2010 • 2130 Posts

Judo_boy
So it is "hollow" to make sure I (and other african americans) identify with our anscestry??? Doesnt anyone recognize about our culture before the slave trade??? I dont think that there should be anyone who should tell us what we can and cannot be called. Thats just plain idiotic. And it sure as heck wont be that racist piece of crap Glenn Beck.
peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 peaceoutmedusa
Member since 2010 • 2130 Posts
I dont understand Homiegesus. Are you trying to say that african americans dont know that they came from africa? Because that is incorrect.
Homiegesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Homiegesus
Member since 2003 • 5706 Posts
[QUOTE="Judo_boy"]

peaceoutmedusa
So it is "hollow" to make sure I (and other african americans) identify with our anscestry??? Doesnt anyone recognize about our culture before the slave trade??? I dont think that there should be anyone who should tell us what we can and cannot be called. Thats just plain idiotic. And it sure as heck wont be that racist piece of crap Glenn Beck.

There is no reason why identifying with your ancestry would be considered a bad thing, but what about individuals who are darker skinned that came from another country other than Africa? No one would be able to identify their ancestry unless it was already known, so an African American assumption wouldn't work in a context that involved no knowledge of the persons family tree. In other words, it is fine for you to identify with your ancestry but for other people to identify with your personal ancestry I would see that as a personal relationship between you and the individual not from a stranger who is assuming.
StaticPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#50 StaticPenguin
Member since 2004 • 3433 Posts

African American is such a stupid term. I'm more comfortable saying black than that.