Getting a new car! Looking for suggestions on good cars...

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Some of you may remember a thread I had made last week regarded my being in an accident and needing insurance advice. Well now I have found that my car is being TOTALED so all that deposit nonsense I was concerned about is now meaningless!

Now I know each individual car is going to have it's own story to tell especially considering I will be getting a USED car, but I am sure certain car brands are superioes to others and seeing as how big of an investment this is, I really want to make a good choice.

Here are some important factors I have to consider:

-I am going with 10k as my limit. I am hoping to have 5k to throw down for deposit but I don't want an expensive car payment so I don't want to have too much left to pay.

-No trucks and such and no crazy smart cars either. I want just a nice, normal sized car.

-Good fuel efficiency is a HUGE plus!

-Potentially the BIGGEST factor is that I want a car that will be DEPENDABLE! I do NOT want to have to be fixing the car up constantly. My Stratus that had just gotten totaled had been pretty good to me in that regard.

-Don't need crazy extra features. As long as I have a good radio I'll be fine.

-My buddy has been suggesting a Ford Fusion as a good option so if anyone has had any personal experience with those I would LOVE to hear about it!

Now obviously I won't necessarily have access to every brand of car which is WHY I am crowdsourcing here so I can hopefully get a good amount of different suggestions and then I can see what is actually available. This thread can hopefully help me hone my search down a bit beforehand so I don't spend days and days trying to look around and make a n uneducasted decision.

BTW I know I have a Hyundai dealer right next to me but I have no idea how good their cars are....

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

honda civic or toyota corolla/camry

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LostProphetFLCL

lostrib

Wait, is Toyota a good choice? I thought they were the company that has been having a bunch of recall issue lately with brake issues...

Will keep the Honda Civic in mind. My first car was a Honda Accord that was still driving while 20 freaking years old! I think a car survivng that long is pretty damn special.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

LostProphetFLCL

Wait, is Toyota a good choice? I thought they were the company that has been having a bunch of recall issue lately with brake issues...

Will keep the Honda Civic in mind. My first car was a Honda Accord that was still driving while 20 freaking years old! I think a car survivng that long is pretty damn special.

The toyota thing was mostly blown out of proportion.  It's not a real issue.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LostProphetFLCL

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Ah alrighty. Will add the Camry to my list as well.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44699 Posts
get a motorcycle 1e79a019acb2255eb75aa2d0e81a5c54.jpg girls think sexy
MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

One of these sexy beasts..... safest vehicle in the world short of a tank no joke it got 5 stars ALL AROUND 

2012-tesla-model-s-fd.jpg

but it costs $70.000

But honestly id get a Nissan Versa hatch back, sturdy little car, practicle with space and pretty good MPG as well as being a small car. I love it. great little car.  

2008-nissan-versa-hatchback-photo-36876-

MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MW2ismygame

lostrib

cant go wrong with either of these. had a corolla that was used and lasted another 8 years with no breakdowns, until an accident broke the front axle clean in two. Not bad for $4500 and lots of city driving (NYC)

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

Consider a Subaru, they get decent gas mileage, have good utility, are extremely reliable, safe, and will last forever.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

lostrib

ew foreign.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

LostProphetFLCL

Ah alrighty. Will add the Camry to my list as well.

no, you're not a 70 year old woman.

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

Model S P85.

2013-tesla-model-s-p85-multi-coat-red-00

2013-tesla-model-s-p85-multi-coat-red-01

MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MW2ismygame

Model S P85.

2013-tesla-model-s-p85-multi-coat-red-01

PinkiePirate

I WANT ONE SO BADLY :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 

mind giving me $70k ?

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

LostProphetFLCL

Still driving the same Accord my folks bought around the time I was born. Its over 20 years old, had to fix quite a few things though, but is still going. All the electronic bell & whistles still work, 0 tear on the seats. Surprisingly its running better than my friends 06 sentra, still gets on the freeway while his struggles for w.e reason. What I have hard time believing is my friends tacoma (almost 20yrs old) that hasn't seen a repair in years, besides the basic oil change and the likes ofc., or so he claims.

Being handed down a 08 civic manual soon. Would be sad to see the accord go. 

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
For just 10K you wont be getting pretty much any car that is actually new. You should be able to find some nice cars though for that. From what you describe it sounds like you probably are going to want something like a civic or maybe a WRX if you can find one. An RSX would also be pretty nice, but probably hard to find.
TommyBarban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TommyBarban
Member since 2012 • 653 Posts

Get this two wheeled car instead (Yamaha YZF R125), it is out of this world efficient on fuel (single cilinder you see).

2012+Yamaha+YZF+R125_1.jpg

You can get the radio separately :)

philips-gogear-sa1335.jpg

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
If you could afford a Toyota or Honda that would be awesome, but those still go pretty high even used. I got a 2009 Hyundai Accent, I like it. It gets about 500 km to a tank (310 miles roughly) and it's a great little car for what I need. HP isn't the best and it struggles a little up hills, but otherwise it's great. I have really no complaints about it, have not had any issues yet and people say they get up to 400,000 kms or higher before they start to die, which is awesome. The newer (2011 and up) models are much sleeker and nicer looking than mine, but overall not bad. Big headlights and tail lights, big back window on the sedan, adequate trunk space and really not an uncomfortable ride. Would definitely recommend one at this point. The Fiestas look cool but I'm not a Ford person, I just do not have much of a trust in Ford-built vehicles as two of the three Ford trucks and both of the ford cars (a tempo and a Mercury topaz) my family have owned have crapped out pretty early in the game. I can't speak for their brand new models, though.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

Wait, is Toyota a good choice? I thought they were the company that has been having a bunch of recall issue lately with brake issues...LostProphetFLCL

I might be getting this wrong, but my cousin is a mechanic and was telling me a while back that the recalls were because some dunderhead decided that all sorts of their vehicles should get the same X part, so they had to do a much wider recall than usual when that one part proved to be faulty. I wouldn't worry about that too much, Toyotas can outlive the people who drive them, it's not really an issue.

Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

lostrib

I'd recommend this as well based on your parameters...they certainly fit.  I have a Corolla and it's a reliable, fairly efficient mode of transportation - just don't expect anything exciting...After some of the clunkers I've had in the past I'll take it.  

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Get a Toyota.
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LostProphetFLCL

So I see people recommending the Honda Civic which makes me ask, are other Honda models good as well, specifically the Accord and are other Toyota models good besides the Corolla and Camry?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
I recently bought a 2014 Ford Fiesta, nice little car with excellent gas mileage and a killer interior. Although it's rather expensive since it's brand new (about $17k). You may look at some 2011 or 2012 focuses or Fiestas.
Elitemajik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Elitemajik
Member since 2002 • 333 Posts

Just bought a 2014 scion tC. A bit out of your price range, it was about $22k but you can get older tC's for 10-15,000 and they are nice cars

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

I've ownd a 2000 Saturn (SR2) for 3 years and it has been great to me. Not the most powerful car out there, but reliable as heck. I have well over 200'000km on my car and I've never had a mechanical issue with it other than standard wear and tear. Also, its not exactly the most popular brand, so you could probably get a used one on the cheap. I got mine for $2000.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kurushio

So I see people recommending the Honda Civic which makes me ask, are other Honda models good as well, specifically the Accord and are other Toyota models good besides the Corolla and Camry?

LostProphetFLCL
Yes those other models are pretty much fine too. The civic though will probably be the most reliable and should be cheapest to fix and even customize if you ever want to in the future. If you need more room then the Camry and Accord would be a better option Personally if i had 10K for a car i'd probably look for a 98-2002 Camaro for about 5K and put the rest into a good V8 with other bolt ons and maybe some bits of new interior if there is enough left over.
dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dude_brahmski
Member since 2013 • 472 Posts

Toyotas can outlive the people who drive them, it's not really an issue.

XilePrincess

That is definitely overstating their reliability, but yes, they are solid.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LostProphetFLCL

Alright went around looking today and never realized how many different places were nearby.

I came across two cars that were enticing to me but I still had heard nothing about.

There was this 08 SCion Tc there that was a bit above my price-range but looked like it was a good, stable car to invest to. Never heard anything about Scion's though...

They also had this 11 Toyota Yaris there that looked to be a VERY GOOD investment as it is basically brand new with less than 5k miles. Both cars are covered by warranty BTW, the Yaris being a certified car. My only issue is I have also never heard of the Yaris before so I don't know how reliable the build is. Everything about this one sounds like a good deal though!

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MakeMeaSammitch

Don't get the Yaris. That thing is ugly as sin.

dude_brahmski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dude_brahmski
Member since 2013 • 472 Posts

The Yaris makes sense if you are going completely utilitarian.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LostProphetFLCL

MakeMeaSammitch

The Yaris isn't the nicest looking car, but I will essentially be getting a new car that will be under warranty for a used car price.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

lostrib

If you want to be the most boring person ever.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kurushio
Scion is an off brand of toyota and i think the motor is from a Camry or Carolla. Not a bad car, but it's not really the best in any segment. Personally i'd rather have a civic over that, but then i would want a bunch of cars that you probably are not looking for lol.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GOGOGOGURT

I'm getting a 2002 Audi S4 for $8,000.  It's not the most reliable, but I'm addicted to driving fast, and having a car like that is a passion, and sometimes you have to take risks.

If you want something reliable and not painfully dull, I highly recommend a used Volvo C30. Or a Mazdaspeed 3, or a Golf GTI, a VW CC, a Ford Taurus, or a Chrysler 300, or a BMW 3 series, .  There are quite a few good cars that are fun and reliable, don't listen to the plebians that tell you to get a "camry".

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GOGOGOGURT

Just bought a 2014 scion tC. A bit out of your price range, it was about $22k but you can get older tC's for 10-15,000 and they are nice cars

Elitemajik

Should've gotten an FR-S.

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
For 10k id look at ford 500/montego, altima, maxima, impala, mazda 6,sonata and sable
TerryCrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TerryCrew
Member since 2013 • 48 Posts
I really like the new Ford Focus. I'm saving up for a Toyota Prius, but if I can find a cheap Ford C-max I want that instead.
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

LostProphetFLCL

The Yaris isn't the nicest looking car, but I will essentially be getting a new car that will be under warranty for a used car price.

Better reason; I can tell just from looking at that thing that it can't take a hit. It's better to stear away from low weight cars.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

The Corolla

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GOGOGOGURT

I really like the new Ford Focus. I'm saving up for a Toyota Prius, but if I can find a cheap Ford C-max I want that instead. TerryCrew

If you're getting a hybrid to save the environment, then you are a moron.

TerryCrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TerryCrew

[QUOTE="TerryCrew"]I really like the new Ford Focus. I'm saving up for a Toyota Prius, but if I can find a cheap Ford C-max I want that instead. GOGOGOGURT

If you're getting a hybrid to save the environment, then you are a moron.

I don't care about the planet. I care about my wallet.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GOGOGOGURT

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

MakeMeaSammitch

Better reason; I can tell just from looking at that thing that it can't take a hit. It's better to stear away from low weight cars.

Not necessarily true.  The safety measures in cars newer than the 90's (especially in 2013) are pretty safe.  And actually the Yaris is very heavy for it's size, and it's because of the structural reinforcements.  You only have to worry about safety if you get a smart car or get a car thats from the 70s. 

But don't get the Yaris, fugly and slow.

TerryCrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TerryCrew
I also find the Ford Fusion a nice looking car.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GOGOGOGURT

I also find the Ford Fusion a nice looking car. TerryCrew

That's because it ripped off the sexiest car in the world, Aston Martin

ford-fusion-mondeo-accused-of-looking-to

Aston is on the right if you're car illiterate.

TerryCrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TerryCrew
"Car illiterate" Why are you being such a douche bag? You mother doesn't hug you?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Honda Civic Toyota Corrola Kia Rio/Forte
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Better reason; I can tell just from looking at that thing that it can't take a hit. It's better to stear away from low weight cars.MakeMeaSammitch
:lol: Any passenger vehicle of any size colliding with a semi isn't going to survive and neither are it's occupants. All safety ratings are up to 60 km/h and most larger SUV's and cars you'd think "could take a hit" have lower safety ratings than most sub-compacts (especially in rollovers). Choose a car based on it's rating, not your instinct of how well it can "take a hit".
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GOGOGOGURT

"Car illiterate" Why are you being such a douche bag? You mother doesn't hug you? TerryCrew

Which alt is this?

TerryCrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TerryCrew

[QUOTE="TerryCrew"]"Car illiterate" Why are you being such a douche bag? You mother doesn't hug you? GOGOGOGURT

Which alt is this?

Why? Want some of this British Broad Casting?
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GOGOGOGURT

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

[QUOTE="TerryCrew"]"Car illiterate" Why are you being such a douche bag? You mother doesn't hug you? TerryCrew

Which alt is this?

Why? Want this some of this British Broad Casting?

Okay you seem legit.