gamespot's overly aggresive *censorship* rules...

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

eastcoasteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 eastcoasteric
Member since 2008 • 57 Posts

I've been having problems with the site lately...i've been coming to this website since it was just videogames.com ( yeah %90 of you on here don't even know what that was ) and I never really had a account, one a few years back but I forgot the login information, I normally just check reviews,news and sometimes the fourms.
I made a account to start blabbing my thought's in the fourms recently and it seem's gamespot has gotten so over the top about their censorship that I can't even spell words out like C-L-A-S-S-I-C(this is only way it will let me spell it out) and I trouble with another world eariler too that was CERTIANLY not a swear word.

I don't know if the mod's or anyone can help fix this situation but this is a little over the top now, anyone else having problems like this as of late?

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts

I've been having problems with the site lately...i've been coming to this website since it was just videogames.com ( yeah %90 of you on here don't even know what that was ) and I never really had a account, one a few years back but I forgot the login information, I normally just check reviews,news and sometimes the fourms.
I made a account to start blabbing my thought's in the fourms recently and it seem's gamespot has gotten so over the top about their censorship that I can't even spell words out like C-L-A-S-S-I-C(this is only way it will let me spell it out) and I trouble with another world eariler too that was CERTIANLY not a swear word.

I don't know if the mod's or anyone can help fix this situation but this is a little over the top now, anyone else having problems like this as of late?

eastcoasteric

Cla$$ is censored due to a possible HTML exploit. Just censor bybass (it's allowed for this word by the ToU) by typing Cla$$

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
"Class" is censored only when used in conjunction with html/bbcode to prevent exploits. If that's the only complaint you have to back up this thread, I might as well also mention that "style" is censored in the same manner for the same reasons.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="eastcoasteric"]

Eddie5vs1

Cla$$ is censored due to a possible HTML exploit. Just censor bybass (it's allowed for this word by the ToU) by typing Cla$$

Exactly. Same thing with the word "cIass" and this is something the developers did, neither the mods nor the community management had anything to do with it. Also, the error message explains this to you when you try and submit a post with those words inside some HTML.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Stop oppressing me :( I need my First Amendment right to HTML exploits :x
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

Some of it is site rules, other CBS rules. One has to remember GS is owned by a parent company, as well as the fact that membership here is of nearly all ages. I agree TC with you that the censored word you mentioned is a hindrance, and 98% of us wouldn't use it in a bad way, but there are plenty of other words (like type) that get the same point across.

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts

I've been having problems with the site lately...i've been coming to this website since it was just videogames.com ( yeah %90 of you on here don't even know what that was ) and I never really had a account, one a few years back but I forgot the login information, I normally just check reviews,news and sometimes the fourms. I made a account to start blabbing my thought's in the fourms recently and it seem's gamespot has gotten so over the top about their censorship that I can't even spell words out like C-L-A-S-S-I-C(this is only way it will let me spell it out) and I trouble with another world eariler too that was CERTIANLY not a swear word.I don't know if the mod's or anyone can help fix this situation but this is a little over the top now, anyone else having problems like this as of late?

eastcoasteric
You can write class by turning off the editor.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
But didn't you know, The Gamespot servers are in Australia. =P But in all seriousness, It apparantly is due to a HTML Code bypass thingy-ma-gingy. Better not to dwell on it and try to figure out another way to explain the word you used as an example. Like " Something that may and maynot be old and held in high regards among the genre and community that it is involved in, aswell as being something that will be considered as something of excelent quality despite time having passed significantly since that time"
soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts

you can't talk about sex or drugs - even though they are one of the two strongholds of human existance

meaning outside our windows & behind our skulls is a world of murder & prostitution and so forth - all I hear outside is people swearing

Reality will be moderated :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 194197844077667059316682358889

you can't talk about sex or drugs - even though they are one of the two strongholds of human existance

meaning outside our windows & behind our skulls is a world of murder & prostitution and so forth - all I hear outside is people swearing

Reality will be moderated :P

soren008
I reject your reality and substitute my own
eastcoasteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 eastcoasteric
Member since 2008 • 57 Posts

Yeah maybe the word Clas$$ but Cla$$ic?
Come on.

And no that's not my only word I was complaining about, this has happened a few other times, I'm talking about my most recently problem, other weird words have come up also.
It was just a example.

Poor programming. It's kind of lame esp seeing when I want to right in the legacy platforms section the word Cla$$ic is such a common word in it, If I run into a few more i'll be sure to post them on here

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 spazzx625

You cannot spell classic without having class in it...So how does that make any sense to censor one but not both?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 194197844077667059316682358889

You cannot spell classic without having class in it...So how does that make any sense to censor one but not both?

spazzx625
I propose an auto-substitute in the spellcheck: cla$$ic => xaotic
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 spazzx625
[QUOTE="spazzx625"]

xaos

I want all double-z words to become 'spazz' because everytime I'm sifting through a thread and I see 'pizza' or 'puzzle' I think they are talking about me, but my hopes (and corresponding ego) are dashed all too quickly...
peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 peaceoutmedusa
Member since 2010 • 2130 Posts

The TC is 100% correct. And the suspensions??? DONT GET ME STARTED ON THEM. Half of the time they suspend someone by something that they misinterpreted. And ALMOST ALL of the suspensions are nitpicky, its like "who cares, its only the internet". They also have threatened to suspend and ban people even if they only commented on topics that they deem offensive!!!!! One time, they suspended me for something that a said from a whole week before they suspended me!!!!!!

But this topic probably will be locked, due to the fact that the Mods are backed by a terms of service that is INFINITELY bendable.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 spazzx625

The TC is 100% correct.And the suspensions??? DONT GET ME STARTED ON THEM. Half of the time they suspend someone by something that they misinterpreted. And ALMOST ALL of the suspensions are nitpicky, its like "who cares, its only the internet". They also have threatened to suspend and ban people even if they only commented on topics that they deem offensive!!!!! One time, they suspended me for something that a said from a whole week before they suspended me!!!!!!

But this topic probably will be locked, due to the fact that they have a terms of service that is INFINITELY bendable.

peaceoutmedusa
Funny...You don't have any suspensions on THIS account...
peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 peaceoutmedusa
[QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"]

The TC is 100% correct.And the suspensions??? DONT GET ME STARTED ON THEM. Half of the time they suspend someone by something that they misinterpreted. And ALMOST ALL of the suspensions are nitpicky, its like "who cares, its only the internet". They also have threatened to suspend and ban people even if they only commented on topics that they deem offensive!!!!! One time, they suspended me for something that a said from a whole week before they suspended me!!!!!!

But this topic probably will be locked, due to the fact that they have a terms of service that is INFINITELY bendable.

lol. This is exactly what I was talking about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 194197844077667059316682358889
[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"][QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"]

lol. This is exactly what I was talking about.

It is? Please explain...
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 spazzx625
[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] lol. This is exactly what I was talking about.

It is? Please explain...

Yes, please do...
peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 peaceoutmedusa
[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] lol. This is exactly what I was talking about.spazzx625
It is? Please explain...

Yes, please do...

lol. He is a Mod that is forgettig everything else that I just stated. I just explained...
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 spazzx625
[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] lol. He is Mod and is forgetting everything else that I said... I just explained...

What exactly did I "forget"? Your point seemed to be how harshly you are treated, yet you apparently are ban dodging...So if you were banned, why come back? Why stay here at all if it's so rough for you here?
peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 peaceoutmedusa
[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] lol. He is Mod and is forgetting everything else that I said... I just explained...spazzx625
What exactly did I "forget"? Your point seemed to be how harshly you are treated, yet you apparently are ban dodging...So if you were banned, why come back? Why stay here at all if it's so rough for you here?

If I stated any that in my post, then you wouldve known the answer, but the fact that you are accusing me of ban dodging WHILE forgetting everything else that I just said basically means that you have no rebuttal at all to, IDK, the 8 different points that I made in that post?
thens1563

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thens1563
Member since 2009 • 724 Posts

[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="spazzx625"]

spazzx625

I want all double-z words to become 'spazz' because everytime I'm sifting through a thread and I see 'pizza' or 'puzzle' I think they are talking about me, but my hopes (and corresponding ego) are dashed all too quickly...

And I demand that at least one word in every single post be replaced with "thens1563 is awesome" :x.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 spazzx625
[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] If I stated any that in my post, then you wouldve known the answer, but the fact that you are accusing me of ban dodging WHILE forgetting everything else that I just said basically means that you have no rebuttal at all to, IDK, the 8 different points that I made in that post?

Eight different points? I see maybe one point...Please outline them for me based on your previous post. You complain explicitly about a suspension that is not on this account's record...I think ban dodging is a safe assumption. I don't know what else I'm supposed to rebut.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 194197844077667059316682358889
[QUOTE="spazzx625"][QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] If I stated any that in my post, then you wouldve known the answer, but the fact that you are accusing me of ban dodging WHILE forgetting everything else that I just said basically means that you have no rebuttal at all to, IDK, the 8 different points that I made in that post?

Eight different points? I see maybe one point...Please outline them for me based on your previous post. You complain explicitly about a suspension that is not on this account's record...I think ban dodging is a safe assumption. I don't know what else I'm supposed to rebut.

1. The 2. TOS 3. is 4. totally 5. bogus 6. and 7. unfair 8. Duh!
peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 peaceoutmedusa

[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] If I stated any that in my post, then you wouldve known the answer, but the fact that you are accusing me of ban dodging WHILE forgetting everything else that I just said basically means that you have no rebuttal at all to, IDK, the 8 different points that I made in that post?spazzx625

How about the fact of whether or not I was right about the nitpicking of what the mods do. YOU ALL HAVE 1 Threatened to ban people for commenting in a topic that is bad. 2. Suspened people before for cursing even though you all have a censor. 3 Have a terms of use that lets you suspend people for "insinuations", 4. for "provoking others to use flames". 5. Being heavily inconsistent. 6. Suspending people using words that are censored out. I think that was more than one point.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 spazzx625
[QUOTE="xaos"] 1. The 2. TOS 3. is 4. totally 5. bogus 6. and 7. unfair 8. Duh!

*insert pouty face*
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 spazzx625

The TC is 100% correct. And the suspensions??? DONT GET ME STARTED ON THEM. Half of the time they suspend someone by something that they misinterpreted. And ALMOST ALL of the suspensions are nitpicky, its like "who cares, its only the internet". They also have threatened to suspend and ban people even if they only commented on topics that they deem offensive!!!!! One time, they suspended me for something that a said from a whole week before they suspended me!!!!!!

But this topic probably will be locked, due to the fact that the Mods are backed by a terms of service that is INFINITELY bendable.

peaceoutmedusa
[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] How about the fact of whether or not I was right about the nitpicking of what the mods do. YOU ALL HAVE 1 Threatened to ban people for commenting in a topic that is bad. 2. Suspened people before for cursing even though you all have a censor. 3 Have a terms of use that lets you suspend people for "insinuations", 4. for "provoking others to use flames". 5. Being heavily inconsistent. I think that was more than one point.

1) "Bad" is subjective....So I can't really comment on what you mean. If you mean banning people for posting porn, yeah...That should be pretty self-explanatory. 2) You don't talk about this in your original post and I have no idea what you are even talking about. 3) We didn't create the Terms of Use...CBS nee CNET's legal department did...And what insinuations? This point seems to tie into the 1st point more than being a new point... 4) What? Trolling? You don't mention that in your original post and yes, it's part of the Terms of Use...What exactly about it are you trying to get it here? 5) You don't talk about that either...And without examples your insinuation of this is irrelevant.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Class. Classic. Style.

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
videogames.com!? :o You must be old school sir, my hat is off.
Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

While I will admit that Gamespot's language restrictions are a little too strict, I honestly would rather deal with the ways to get around the choice words then to have to put up with the constant overuse of them as is typical for the particuarl age bracket that generally dwells here. Yes that whole "class" and "style" thing really needs to go as they don't even have to be part of the link but merely in the body of the message and when you talk about movies as much as I do, not being able to say classic and style is a trifle annoying. But it's easy enough to type cl@ssic and s+yle instead and on we move with our lives ready for the next adventure that awaits us around the corner -- or perhaps a tasty sandwich maybe?

peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 peaceoutmedusa

[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"]

spazzx625

How about the fact of whether or not I was right about the nitpicking of what the mods do. YOU ALL HAVE 1 Threatened to ban people for commenting in a topic that is bad. 2. Suspened people before for cursing even though you all have a censor. 3 Have a terms of use that lets you suspend people for "insinuations", 4. for "provoking others to use flames". 5. Being heavily inconsistent. I think that was more than one point. peaceoutmedusa
1) "Bad" is subjective....So I can't really comment on what you mean. If you mean banning people for posting porn, yeah...That should be pretty self-explanatory. 2) You don't talk about this in your original post and I have no idea what you are even talking about. 3) We didn't create the Terms of Use...CBS nee CNET's legal department did...And what insinuations? This point seems to tie into the 1st point more than being a new point... 4) What? Trolling? You don't mention that in your original post and yes, it's part of the Terms of Use...What exactly about it are you trying to get it here? 5) You don't talk about that either...And without examples your insinuation of this is irrelevant.

Its funny because all of what I said was a matter of opinion. Which means that you didnt pay attention to main idea of what I was saying (you know my opinions, since this is after all, an opinionated thread). THAT was my point. The conversation was never about whether or not you agreed with me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 194197844077667059316682358889
Its funny because all of what I said was a matter of opinion. Which in means that you didnt pay attention to main idea of what I was saying (you know my opinions, since this is after all, an opinionated thread). THAT was my point. The conversation was never about whether or not you agreed with me. peaceoutmedusa
Then why were you complaining about him not rebutting your points? Goalposts are fine but they should be at least vaguely stationary :\
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 spazzx625
[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] Its funny because all of what I said was a matter of opinion. Which in means that you didnt pay attention to main idea of what I was saying (you know my opinions, since this is after all, an opinionated thread). THAT was my point. The conversation was never about whether or not you agreed with me.

So basically no matter what I'm going to be wrong because you can just pretend to change your point(s) at your own discretion. That's fine. Just because you cannot present any meaningful points doesn't mean you have to keep changing them ;)
peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 peaceoutmedusa
[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"]Its funny because all of what I said was a matter of opinion. Which in means that you didnt pay attention to main idea of what I was saying (you know my opinions, since this is after all, an opinionated thread). THAT was my point. The conversation was never about whether or not you agreed with me. xaos
Then why were you complaining about him not rebutting your points? :\

Because he never payed any attention to them in the first place.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 spazzx625
[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"]Its funny because all of what I said was a matter of opinion. Which in means that you didnt pay attention to main idea of what I was saying (you know my opinions, since this is after all, an opinionated thread). THAT was my point. The conversation was never about whether or not you agreed with me. peaceoutmedusa
Then why were you complaining about him not rebutting your points? :\

Because he never payed any attention to them in the first place.

Because there were none...Even when you tried to force points out of the original response when prompted you came up fairly empty...And then completely disregarded the whole thing by just saying it was your opinion...
peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 peaceoutmedusa
[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] Its funny because all of what I said was a matter of opinion. Which in means that you didnt pay attention to main idea of what I was saying (you know my opinions, since this is after all, an opinionated thread). THAT was my point. The conversation was never about whether or not you agreed with me. spazzx625
So basically no matter what I'm going to be wrong because you can just pretend to change your point(s) at your own discretion. That's fine. Just because you cannot present any meaningful points doesn't mean you have to keep changing them ;)

Oh, I never changed my point, I still think that gamespot is overly exessive in its censorship and suspension rules. So I dont understand what you ar..... oh wait, according to the terms of service, EVEN SAYING THAT IS A RULE TOO.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 spazzx625
[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] Oh, I never changed my point, I still think that gamespot is overly exessive in its censorship and suspension rules. So I dont understand what you ar..... oh wait, according to the terms of service, EVEN SAYING THAT IS A RULE TOO.

That...Makes absolutely no sense. :|
Avatar image for deactivated-5bc291bf3d647
deactivated-5bc291bf3d647

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5bc291bf3d647
Member since 2009 • 6466 Posts
lol this thread is hilarious... and i dont think it is excessive...
peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 peaceoutmedusa

[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] Oh, I never changed my point, I still think that gamespot is overly exessive in its censorship and suspension rules. So I dont understand what you ar..... oh wait, according to the terms of service, EVEN SAYING THAT IS A RULE TOO. spazzx625
That...Makes absolutely no sense. :|

OMG, let me explain this to you again... If you can remember what MY POINT is, it was that gamespot is overly excessive in the censorship and suspension rules. So I really have not changed my point. You are over thinking it. The next sentence was me about to tell you that I have no clue what you are talking about, and I broke the sentence because even telling someone that violates the terms of use.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 spazzx625
[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] Let me explain, if you can remember what MY POINT is, it was that gamespot is overly excessive in the censorship and suspension rules. So I really have not changed my point. You are over thinking it. The next sentence was me about to tell you that I have no clue what you are talking about, and I broke the sentence because even telling someone that violates the terms of use.

So you're back to saying you only have 1 point now? :lol: Okay...
peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 peaceoutmedusa

[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] Let me explain, if you can remember what MY POINT is, it was that gamespot is overly excessive in the censorship and suspension rules. So I really have not changed my point. You are over thinking it. The next sentence was me about to tell you that I have no clue what you are talking about, and I broke the sentence because even telling someone that violates the terms of use. spazzx625
So you're back to saying you only have 1 point now? :lol: Okay...

Do you even know what a "point" is??? I gave you a bunch of them to back up my overall idea of the subject.

Get it together.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 spazzx625
[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] Do you even know what a "point" is??? I gave you a bunch of them to back up my overall idea of the subject. Get it together.

A point is a single entity...Do you know what a point is? You can't say one thing and expect it to be backed up by other things just because. You didn't give anything to back up your single point until asked to...After you were saying you had 8 points. Seriously. This is hilarious.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

Stop oppressing me :( I need my First Amendment right to HTML exploits :xxaos

I lol'd.

peaceoutmedusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 peaceoutmedusa

[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] Do you even know what a "point" is??? I gave you a bunch of them to back up my overall idea of the subject. Get it together. spazzx625
A point is a single entity...Do you know what a point is? You can't say one thing and expect it to be backed up by other things just because. You didn't give anything to back up your single point until asked to...After you were saying you had 8 points. Seriously. This is hilarious.

1st of all a point is a single entity THAT CAN MAKE UP AN ENTIRE IDEA (people learn this in second grade). If you... Hold up a second... Did you just say that I did in fact give points to back up what I was saying????? "You didn't give anything to back up your single point until asked to". So not only have you contradicted yourself, but you are really being silly and only nitpicking at what I am saying.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 spazzx625
[QUOTE="peaceoutmedusa"] 1st of all a point is a single entity THAT CAN MAKE UP AN ENTIRE IDEA (people learn this in second grade). If you... Hold up a second... Did you just say that I did in fact give points to back up what I was saying????? "You didn't give anything to back up your single point until asked to". So not only have you contradicted yourself, but you are really being silly and only nitpicking at what I am saying.

Right...So you had one general idea of your post...Yet you claimed you had eight. I already said that I saw one point to your original post waaaay back up there...Around the time you were complaining that I wasn't giving you a proper rebuttal of your points. I also didn't say you actually backed anything up, there's a difference between giving something and actually doing something of value ;) Seriously...Hilarious.
smc91352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 smc91352
Member since 2009 • 7786 Posts
Seriously...Hilarious.spazzx625
got that right. :D
cowplayinghalo

Forum Posts