GhostRecon2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By GhostRecon2020
Member since 2020 • 73 Posts

I find games therapeutic. I had a bad time recently and I healed myself by playing Dirt 5 and Insurgency: Sand storm.

What do you think? what games heal you?

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I agree. Playing games gives me a sense of comfort and respite from intrusive thoughts and anxiety. I've been gaming most of my life so it feels like a constant I can go back to.

I've spent hundreds of hours playing PUBG and Apex Legends with my friends so it's always nice going back to them.

GhostRecon2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GhostRecon2020

@johnd13: Yeah, there is nothing like some online games.

The best part is that there are no side effects in gaming as opposed to drugs for example. I actually tried to withdraw from gaming. I didnt play games for half a year and I deteriorated mentally. I felt a lot more depression, anger and stress. I couldnt find something that would take the negativity away, so I started drinking and not working out to overcome. Luckily, I feel a lot better in the recent month when I came back to gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Games can be great for escapism especially through bad times in life. VR especially can be really good for this they are companies out now using VR for mental health which is pretty awesome.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yep, I'm with you. For me, games such as Pokémon or Dragon Quest really help me wind down and let all of my problems go in a sense.

GhostRecon2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GhostRecon2020

@speeny said:

Yep, I'm with you. For me, games such as Pokémon or Dragon Quest really help me wind down and let all of my problems go in a sense.

A lot of you like games where you just grind.

@warmblur said:

Games can be great for escapism especially through bad times in life. VR especially can be really good for this they are companies out now using VR for mental health which is pretty awesome.

Havent heard about VR being used for mental health.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

I'm not sure games have ever healed me, but my wife, who was diagnosed with Persistent Postural-Perceptual Dizziness (PPPD, but I call it Triple PD). At first, for about a year, she tried to push through her illness which was mentally and emotionally exhausting for her. Eventually, she allowed herself the grace to stop trying so hard and gave herself the time needed to heal, and largely did it by playing games like Dishonored and Genshin Impact while also taking an online class for Japanese.

Before doing this she was unable to work or drive or do much of anything including read much more than a paragraph, she wasn't even able to walk without a cane. Now she can do all those things and become an online teacher herself, teaching English as a second language to people who want to learn. So that's the "games healed someone" story that I have, not me, but perhaps the person closest to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@ghostrecon2020 said:
@speeny said:

@warmblur said:

Loading Video...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Lots of good articles out there during COVID talking about how games--video, board/tabletop, etc--are good therapy at times.

From relaxation, to channeling stress, providing a creative outlet, and developing social skills; games are pretty great.

Though like all things, play too much and it takes away from your life. I definitely play too much.

GhostRecon2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GhostRecon2020

@warmblur said:
@ghostrecon2020 said:
@speeny said:

@warmblur said:

Loading Video...

I would use it to talk to women. Where can I buy it?

wormjim033

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wormjim033
Member since 2022 • 8 Posts

Very antistress! Especially when you lose 20 times in a row xD

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

My physical therapist actually suggested gaming to help with my hand eye coordination. I used to a big online fps person but my hands won't cooperate with me much anymore. I still try but it's more of a physical therapy thing than fun now.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

They do help me a lot. Games like PES, TLOU Multiplayer, Mario Kart Wii online, and GTA helped me get passed a bad day.

Nowadays, I am struggling to find a new game to help me overcome my anxiety and worries :( Maybe it's time to get PS Plus and hop on TLOU Multiplayer.