Games and parents do not mix ;-;

This topic is locked from further discussion.

QulaeyGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By QulaeyGaming
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

So basically my parents think I am addicted to my computer. I am an alright kid. I am not the sportiest but I have got the brains. The school I normally get 'A's and 'B's. This is when the problems arose. Its finial exam week and I am smashing through the exams. I have not played any games for around 2 weeks now. Today in the car I said to my parents that I wanted to play some video games on the weekend, you know... I just finished finials and suddenly they jumped to the topic that I was addicted to video games! I tried to explain to them that it was the end of exam week but they just won't warp their head around it. Their argument was that I was addicted to games purely because I wanted to play games and relax after finial exams instead of going to watch the emoji movie with my little sister. I kid you not that was their actual argument. I don't just play computer games, I also play D&D with some friends who live up the road, I also read and I revise for my exams. btw I am 13.

QulaeyGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By QulaeyGaming
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

Btw my mother is addicted to a social media platform called WeChat. She is on it 24/7. She never goes anywhere without her phone. She cooks with her phone next to the stove. She also eats with her phone. When ever I ask her to quiz me during finial exam week she was always on her phone. She even drives with her phone attacked onto the steering wheel. When she told me I was addicted to games she was on her phone. I am pretty sure she does not sleep but instead looks at her phone and complain in the morning that she is tired, she does not have a job yet me and my little sister still does most of her chores.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Sounds like projection.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Tell her to give up WeChat and you'll give up gaming (don't worry it wont happen).

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

I'm intrigued how you are quite good at writing but keep spelling 'finals' wrong :S

Either way, just explain that gaming is your form of fun and that everyone is different. Say you've not played for a couple of weeks and therefore should be rewarded by being allowed to play some games. It's all about communication.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Sorry to hear about that, is your father more understanding than your mother?

When i was a wee lad this topic came up back around 2002, I showed my pops the game I played and it was Day of Defeat, eventually I got him to try it and he got hooked after awhile.

It's hard at your age, but try to continue and talk/show them... playing video games keeps the mind active.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@GTR12 said:

Tell her to give up WeChat and you'll give up gaming (don't worry it wont happen).

Unless he moves out on his own, he can't tell her dick.

I'm a parent of a young adult and a 10-year old. I game on the PC. I let my eldest kid game on her own. I can trust her enough to manage her time between serious stuff and gaming.

My 10-year old can game on weekends. But, her gaming schedule is still strictly regulated.

Both have their own gaming PCs.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@GTR12 said:

I'm a parent of a young adult and a 10-year old. I game on the PC. I let my eldest kid game on her own. I can trust her enough to manage her time between serious stuff and gaming.

My 10-year old can game on weekends. But, her gaming schedule is still strictly regulated.

And this ladies and gentlemen is what we call a shit parent, that thinks they know best at all times.

If the 10 year-old played as much PC games as she wanted yet still got top marks in class, would you still stop her, just because you don't understand?

Learn to listen to your own kids before telling other people that they cant tell their own parents dick.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

I'm a parent and I game.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Respect your parent's wishes. Turn 18 then decide how to spend your time.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I’m a parent and I game, actually I game more than my son.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

ahhhhh I remember those arguments, back when I was a wee lad.

Sorry man but these are the breaks :(

williamlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13 williamlam
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

Parents are concerned about our well-being because it affects who we are, both our health and social life are affected by how we treat ourselves.All of our parents want us to be safe.You should also play outdoor games.You should spend your time with your sister too.Your mom is also not doing a right thing.Tell her to spend time with you.I agree video games give children critical thinking skills from puzzle solving, to many other areas.Tell your dad about it.But too much video games will not be good.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

When I was younger my parents used to play games with us.

I remember when I about 4 or 5 and my parents were playing Adventure Island on NES after we went to bed. I came out of my room because I heard the theme music playing. My mom sometimes played Dr Mario, Tetris, and the first two Sonic the Hedgehog games all day when we were at school.

My mom and dad would also get us games for Christmas, I would say I didn't ask for this game, they said "yeah we got that game for ourselves but gave it to you" My sister did that last year with my nephew she gave him Injustice: Game of the Year Edition but it was really for her.

My dad also used to play Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 on Dreamcast and GTA III on PS2 with us.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@GTR12 said:

And this ladies and gentlemen is what we call a shit parent, that thinks they know best at all times.

If the 10 year-old played as much PC games as she wanted yet still got top marks in class, would you still stop her, just because you don't understand?

Learn to listen to your own kids before telling other people that they cant tell their own parents dick.

I'd still regulate her gaming hours because there's more to life than just getting good marks in school. There are other activities at home (and outside the home) that require her attention. From my own observations as a parent, she tends to lapse whenever she's allowed free reign with gaming. She gave me an earful multiple times of how she can manage. But, the result is always the same. So, it fell on me to regulate it.

I talk with other parents (plus my relatives who have kids of their own) about gaming in their households. We see a familiar pattern as a whole.

The big picture I look at is made up of the above, my own cumulative experiences from the time I started gaming as a kid to the present (39 years of gaming), how my own parents dealt with it, and improvements I implemented from the way my parents did it.

Apparently, that one remark I made seems to have ruffled your feathers. Oh well. Not my problem. The only thing that matters is my method works. My kid has a good balance between gaming and other activities even though I'm the one who has to manage them.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@GTR12 said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@GTR12 said:

Are you implying that children know better? Because they don't.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GTR12

@jun_aka_pekto: And why cant the TC in this case (the kid) talk to the adult about gaming a little?

@LJS9502_basic said:

No, I'm saying why cant they converse with the adult, instead of not saying a thing because they are the child?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@jun_aka_pekto: And why cant the TC in this case (the kid) talk to the adult about gaming a little?

@LJS9502_basic said:

No, I'm saying why cant they converse with the adult, instead of not saying a thing because they are the child?

I think his objection was in the phrasing: "Tell her to give up WeChat and you'll give up gaming (don't worry it wont happen)."

Haha, if my son gave me an ultimatum.... LOL. He knows better.

I'm sure he's spoken with his daughter on the subject, she just likely knows better than to give him an ultimatum.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By omegaMaster  Online
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Maybe deep down your mum wants straight A's from you.

She probably sees grade B's as below average :P

InEMplease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By InEMplease
Member since 2009 • 7461 Posts

lol,

You're fucked

Parents are the most closed minded asshats a child will ever meet.

I was once in an hour long argument with my mother because she thought Orlando Bloom from LOTR and Orlando Bloom from Pirates of the Caribbean were two different people. AND I FUCKING LOST!

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

I'm a parent myself and I play games. My daughter is only 18 months old, but I have a feeling she will play games too when she gets older :P

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GTR12

@mattbbpl said:

I think his objection was in the phrasing: "Tell her to give up WeChat and you'll give up gaming (don't worry it wont happen)."

Haha, if my son gave me an ultimatum.... LOL. He knows better.

I'm sure he's spoken with his daughter on the subject, she just likely knows better than to give him an ultimatum.

And my objection was to the "you cant tell her dick"...

Double standards eh?

And this thread explains why kids can hate their parents, they cant even talk to them.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#23 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

We all view the world through the distorting prism of our own experiences and expectations, our own fears, worries and aspirations. Of course there is projection, in both directions from parent to child, and vice versa, because as individuals we each rely on that foundation of what we have learned and experienced of the world in our short tenure. Children will often assimilate and act on the mistakes and attitudes of their parents, just as parents will always seek the faults in others that they find within themselves, and try (in their own way) to correct them in their progeny. This is not always the case, of course, because there are undeniably some bad parents, just as there are equally some bad children, but on the whole this tends to be the case.

Sweeping generalisations about parents as a group, or children as a group, I would argue speak more of poor past experiences of some individuals, and gravitation towards peers who reinforce personal ideas and expressions. Such generalisations never help in addressing specific issues, or concerns.

When it comes to the OP's problems, no one here (including myself as a parent) is really qualified to deal with it in an effective way, because we do not know the mother and father involved, their backgrounds, upbringing or experiences, or their hopes, concerns and aspirations for their child. At best we can offer a general view, because only the OP knows and lives with their parents, knows their attitudes in a variety of matters relating to them, and how best to approach them.

In the end, the best remedy for most issues will always start with effective communication, and from there, acceptance and understanding of another's point of view. This is a two-way street, and any parent worth their salt should be willing to sit down and listen to what their child has to say, even if they disagree with it. From the OPs perspective, you need to summon the courage to ask to have a serious conversation with your parents, and try to determine their motivations and underlying concerns regarding video games and/or any other issues that you have.

Parents set ground rules, not usually out of meanness, but based on what I said in my opening paragraph. Personal experiences combined with information from various sources (which unfortunately is usually in a state of flux as to best practice) will inevitably form opinions and bias as to the best course of action when dealing with most issues, including allowances and restrictions around video games or other forms of entertainment.

Some parents fall into the trap of thinking only that good grades mean better work opportunities, and if they want you to be successful in a career, they may place an emphasis on this kind of achievement. However, I have always preferred a more holistic approach, because educational progression can be very hectic and stressful, and without appropriate rest periods and time out for play and enjoyment, it can lead to problems later on. A good grade is worth nothing if the price is the long-term happiness of your child. There is also too much emphasis and weight placed on grades earned in subjects at school, because I have seen several times (including with my own son) that on leaving school a child will pursue different or unrelated subjects in further education, or seek unexpected employment opportunities as they develop and determine their own course in life. Children need room to grow and express themselves because they, too, are individuals and have their own ideals. What you think you know about your child is not always accurate. That again is often rooted in projection, where a parent expects their child to adopt a certain career that perhaps they are already a part of, or that they perceive as the best career opportunity in the future based on current talents and abilities.

In closing, I'll just say that I'm a parent and I've been playing video games for around 35 years. In fact, I did not start playing video games as a hobby until I was already an adult back in the mid 1980s. I'll freely admit that I made some mistakes along the way when raising my own children. We all do, because we're only human. Did I set some ground rules for my kids playing video games? Yes, but I felt they were appropriate for their ages at the time, and I adjusted accordingly as they matured. I also joined in and played video games with them, which led to some great shared experiences, and I will always argue that playing video games is as valid a form of social entertainment as watching TV or a film at the cinema, which are socially accepted norms.

OP, I wish you the best of luck in finding a mutually beneficial resolution of your problems.