First X games athlete death as result of an injury.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17601 posts) -

link

Caleb Moore was attempting a backflip Jan. 24 in the freestyle event when the skis on his 450-pound snowmobile caught the lip of the landing area, sending him flying over the handlebars. Moore landed face first into the snow with his snowmobile rolling over him.

Moore stayed down for quite some time, before walking off with help and going to a hospital to treat a concussion. Moore developed bleeding around his heart and was flown to a hospital in Grand Junction for surgery. The family later said that Moore, of Krum, Texas, also had a complication involving his brain.

Colten Moore was injured in a separate crash that same night. He suffered a separated pelvis in the spill.

#2 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

Sad, but I'm suprised this is the first considering how hardcore X sports are. 

#3 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

That's awful, but there are always risks like that when doing a sport that dangerous.

#4 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
They know the risks going in. Crazy that he was able to walk off the first crash.
#5 Posted by Mrmedia01 (1917 posts) -

That sucks, but it happens here and there. Thats the nature of an extreme sport.

#6 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -
1st one in 3,300.
#7 Posted by fueled-system (6529 posts) -
Such a shame and you look at the snowmobile trickstyle sport and to be honest I am shocked this is the first one. I still remember watching during the summer x games a couple years ago the guy who went about 50 feet on the halfpipe and lost his board and fell all the way down
#8 Posted by jimkabrhel (15625 posts) -

Yusuke420

Exactly my thought.

#9 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

Yusuke420
Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
#10 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1231 posts) -
Saw this on ESPN this morning. It is very tragic.
#11 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17601 posts) -

That sucks, but it happens here and there. Thats the nature of an extreme sport.

Mrmedia01
that's the thing this is the first death in the x games history it SHOULD happen more often but it doesn't.
#12 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18452 posts) -
Sad but surprised this is the first death.
#13 Posted by PandaTrueno86 (1611 posts) -

I was attending the event, I still have and will always think freestyle snowmobiling is a dumb category to add. It's not like a dirt bike where you can manuver a snowmobile as easily.

#14 Posted by CJL13 (19137 posts) -

Actually it's the second, but that death was from a practice run so I guess it doesn't count...

#15 Posted by lonewolfman10 (528 posts) -

I'm sorry to hear that

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
#16 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1231 posts) -

Actually it's the second, but that death was from a practice run so I guess it doesn't count...

CJL13
Was that the ice sledding one?
#17 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

Cringed when I saw the video. 

#18 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mrmedia01"]

mrmusicman247
that's the thing this is the first death in the x games history it SHOULD happen more often but it doesn't.

That is the nature of extreme sports. People do crazy stuff, but are typically much safer than someone who is just learning the sport because they know their limits, know how to not crash and know how to crash.