Few questions on how to lift weights.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RyuHayabusaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 RyuHayabusaX
Member since 2005 • 7838 Posts
I use dumbells at home, and I've been working out A LOT recently. Say with curls, I notice that when I do like 10 of them on the right arm ONLY, I feel more stress on the right arm, as I really try to feel the muscles and compressing them. When I do them at the same time, you aren't focused on building up one individual arm, just getting both weights to the top. For those who do lift, do you usually do one arm at a time with exercises, or is doing both at the same time fine?
PotatoSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 PotatoSan
Member since 2005 • 3491 Posts
1 at a time with dumbells.
sens_rocks_40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 sens_rocks_40
Member since 2004 • 1135 Posts
when doing arm curls with dumbells, hold one dumbell and 90degrees while you curl the other one, then switch and do, as many sets of about 15reps as you can
RyuHayabusaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RyuHayabusaX
when doing arm curls with dumbells, hold one dumbell and 90degrees while you curl the other one, then switch and do, as many sets of about 15reps as you cansens_rocks_40
So basically I'll have both dumbells at the bottom, I bring one up and then bring it down again, and then switch to the other one, and repeat? Also, when you curl, you can bring your arm/dumbell so close to your face that it takes the strain off of the muscle, and it only puts it on the elbow. Are you saying that you should bring the dumbell as close to your face as possible, or just enough so the strain on the muscle is still there?
Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
Bodyweight excercices ftw 8)
Felix-Legions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Felix-Legions
Member since 2003 • 1194 Posts

Bodyweight excercices ftw 8)Vfanek

Unless your heavy :cry:

Darkavenger508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Darkavenger508
Member since 2007 • 78 Posts

do a variation of exercises. Do some concentration curls,as well ascurling both at the same time. Different exercises effect muscles in different waysand make sure not to neglect any body part as well.

Darkavenger508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Darkavenger508
if you are going to use this method try turning you wrist at the top of your curl so that your pinky is going towards you. this is tthe method suggeasted by arnold
Darkavenger508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Darkavenger508
sorry that last message was suppose to apply to the methods suggested by rocks 40
aDrenaLine1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aDrenaLine1337
Member since 2006 • 354 Posts

keep your back straight take 2 dumbells.. one for each arm.. raise one up to the point where it is about 3 inches away from your face and bring it down .. repeat with the other dumbell.. thats only for biceps.. work out your triceps by doing over the shoulder pulls.. u can do a lot of workouts with dumbells just google it

aDrenaLine1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 aDrenaLine1337
Member since 2006 • 354 Posts
also do some power lifting.... take heavy weights... do reps of 6, 1 set.... then lower the weights.. do reps of 8, 1 set.... and so on and so on. this will increase your ability to lift heaveir weights faster. keep doing it and sooner or later ull notice a difference.. if not lay off the carbs and fatty unhealthy foods like candy and all that garbage.. take some protein because protein helps repair the muscle after u workout.
WOLVERINE281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WOLVERINE281
Member since 2003 • 2531 Posts

it's best to use a barbell IMO. Also do as much weight as you can manage in six reps. Eat food with high protein before and after exercising. you should spend less than a half hour on your arms. highest weight possible, shorten the breaks in between and low reps.

low weights and high reps is only good for toning not for building muscle.

Edit:Littlelate:|

RyuHayabusaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RyuHayabusaX

For Triceps, I do the over the shoulder exercise, sometimes with both hands, sometimes invividually(left arm really struggles with this!)

ALSO, I want to know when the best time move up in weights is. I only got the Bouflex 20 lb ones, and I do plan on getting heavier ones later(my dad wanted to see just how much I'd use them). My friend told me that doing a lot of exercises with small weights is better than doing less with heavier weights. For instance, I can easily curl 20 pounds with my right arm, and 25(with some difficulty, but I can still curl it), but not as many times as 15. With 15, I can keep going on, because it's manageable to lift, and the more times I lift, the more stress I put on the muscle.

ALSO, I just work Triceps and Biceps, they're the 2 main ones, right? What other ones should I look to? I know someone told me not to disregard any muscles, but any other major ones I simply can not afford to miss?

WOLVERINE281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WOLVERINE281
Member since 2003 • 2531 Posts

For Triceps, I do the over the shoulder exercise, sometimes with both hands, sometimes invividually(left arm really struggles with this!)

ALSO, I want to know when the best time move up in weights is. I only got the Bouflex 20 lb ones, and I do plan on getting heavier ones later(my dad wanted to see just how much I'd use them). My friend told me that doing a lot of exercises with small weights is better than doing less with heavier weights. For instance, I can easily curl 20 pounds with my right arm, and 25(with some difficulty, but I can still curl it), but not as many times as 15. With 15, I can keep going on, because it's manageable to lift, and the more times I lift, the more stress I put on the muscle.

ALSO, I just work Triceps and Biceps, they're the 2 main ones, right? What other ones should I look to? I know someone told me not to disregard any muscles, but any other major ones I simply can not afford to miss?

RyuHayabusaX

Your friend is wrong about lifting lower weight. I started at 40lb(dumbell) and did that for a month and I never noticed much of a difference. I started doing high weights, low reps. It's probably been about 6 months and I'm up to 150lb.

Aside from skull crushers and curls, you should probably do the Upright Row and Bench Press's (or Pec Fly's if you dont have a bench). Not for your arms specifically but you don't want to have really strong arms and have a weak chest.

EDIT: getting tired of GS crapping all over my posts...