Feds: Georgia can’t tie food stamps to drug tests

• 45 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#51 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@korvus said:

@Aljosa23:

1) Well, rich people aren't receiving welfare.

2) They were giving money to people who passed the tests, which I think it's unnecessary...that boosts the costs a lot, but with such a low rate of drug users (assuming it's even moderately accurate) the need for tests does seem ridiculous.

3) True, although I'm thinking some of them will starve anyway; when you're using money for drugs when you can't afford food you're either counting on the government to feed you or you just see it as more money for drugs.

4) Seems like an excellent idea, to be honest. If only that could be monitored without major costs...

4 seems a bit crazy to me. I could see limiting how much money for food stamps could be used to buy junk food (maybe say $50 a month) or having food stamps be actually stamps that pay for specific items (gallon of milk, dozen eggs, etc.), but I don't think food stamps should exclude people who eat unhealthy. There's a difference between testing someone for coke and testing someone for Coke.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#52  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@whipassmt: To me it's not about eating unhealthy, it's about me being able to cook for myself, my wife and her parents with the cost of a menu at Mc Donalds (therefore wasting a lot of money) but I realise that in the US that's not the case and fast food there being dirt cheap.

Also, very witty last sentence; well done =P

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#53 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@korvus:

I made most of that post for the sake of that last sentence, I had to reword it a few times to make it better. I considered saying "using coke" but then realized it I did that, then "using" wouldn't really apply in that sense to Coke (it would probably go along the lines of "using coke...drinking Coke" but then i'd be using different verbs.

McDonald's is expensive in the Netherlands?

In the U.S. it depends on what you order, if you get a main sandwich (Big Mac or something like that ) it could cost $5 just for the sandwich. But if you order of the "dollar and more" menu, you could get a sandwich for as little as $1.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#54 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@whipassmt: Haha, I thought you did =D Still, well done. Well, compared to Portugal yeah, McD is expensive here, but the food is cheaper, so comparing the 2 I can get a whole lot of food for the price of a menu, especially since there's always so many products with 50% discount or "2nd for free" and the products with discount cycle, so if you choose what you buy properly you can get a full cart for almost nothing...