This topic is locked from further discussion.

eggroll17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 eggroll17
Member since 2006 • 1405 Posts

Anybody know of any good fantasy books out there? (That are fairly new I.E written in this decade)

Right now I'm reading Eldest, and I was thinking about reading R.A Salvatore, but I'm not sure where to start with his books.

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts
Why would it have to be from this decade? I'm not sure when it was released, but my favourite is the tears of artamon trilogy.
Frags-o-Plenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Frags-o-Plenty
Member since 2006 • 2129 Posts
I'd recommend the Wheel of Time series if you can manage to follow about 50 different plot threads simultaneously... and if you can put up with the fact that the author died before he could write the last book in the series. Not a very good sales pitch, is it?
eggroll17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 eggroll17
Member since 2006 • 1405 Posts

Why would it have to be from this decade? I'm not sure when it was released, but my favourite is the tears of artamon trilogy._Tobli_

I kinda just want to read something new and fresh.

Also, I'm really looking for a book with great plot twists. (I.E like the main character turns evil for a bit, or his/her most trusted companion betrays them)

AnubisCraig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AnubisCraig
Member since 2004 • 8627 Posts

Anybody know of any good fantasy books out there? (That are fairly new I.E written in this decade)

Right now I'm reading Eldest, and I was thinking about reading R.A Salvatore, but I'm not sure where to start with his books.

eggroll17

If you were thinking about reading R.A Salvatore, start from the beginning. Especially with the Drizzt books. Start from either the IceWind Dale trilogy (an excellent trilogy), or from it's prequel. There is now out a 'Legends of Drizzt' series, which has like, all 15 or so of the drizzt books all in one series, that's the one I'm currently reading/collecting. R.A. Salvatore's War of the Spider Queen series is good too, it shows the drow in their true darker form, rather than a goody goody Drizzt, it rules.

Frags-o-Plenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Frags-o-Plenty
Member since 2006 • 2129 Posts
Hmm... haven't checked it out myself, but what about Last Wish? It's one of the books that The Witcher was based off of. Haven't read it myself, but it's just recently been translated to English.
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts
I kinda just want to read something new and fresh.

Also, I'm really looking for a book with great plot twists. (I.E like the main character turns evil for a bit, or his/her most trusted companion betrays them)

eggroll17

Well i can't find a date for when the tears of artamon was released, but it was fairly recently.

Interview with Sarah Ash

jlh47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jlh47
Member since 2007 • 3326 Posts

eggroll17

mass effect: revelations is a good book.

Creeping_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Creeping_Wolf
Member since 2006 • 3399 Posts
The "Incarnations of Immortality" series by Piers Anthony.
lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
Salvatore is good to start. I started with him. I forget what the first one is called, I think it is the dark elf trilogy, it takes place before the Icewind Dale series and one of the books in it is called Sojourn. If you look it up on wikipedia or just look in the front cover of any of his books its hsould tell you.
Wren28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wren28
Member since 2005 • 27811 Posts

Terry Brooks is a good fantasy author, and he has done a few in the last ten years...although I think his best series is The Shannara series, but the first book was published in the 1970's (although, some in the series were done in thelast ten years).

Otherwise I can't comment, I'm busy reading Tolkien (Children of Hurin was only published in the last year...)

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

Have you read Steven Erikson? His The Malazan Book of he Fallen series is the best fantasy series I have ever read, by a long way.

There's seven (out of ten) books in the series already published, with the rest coming on an almost early basis, as well as a couple novellas - and another guy, who co-created the world, just recently got a 5 book deal writing Malaz books after his novella was met with reasonable success. In other words, if you do find you like it, you will have enough reading to last you a hell of a long time.

Erikson is not a writer by trade, but an archeologist and etymologist - and it really shows in his first book. The prose is often awkward, but that is more than made up for by the absurd amount of minute detail he is able to go into when describing the habits and nuances of the various cultures and characters he has created. There is a clear difference in the details when looking at someone who has studied these kinds of civilisations hs entire life, and someone who has not. The first book aside, Erikson's writing style really takes off in his later work.

It's a pretty damn epic story, the opening six books cover three major plotlines alternately. It can be disorienting and annoying to find you have to wait for book 3 to continue the story of book 1, but works out great in the end as there's utterly no stagnation, as with some other massive series. Book seven ties the threads together. Each individual book also works like this, somewhat, with overlapping storylines which converge toward the end. It's a style which works extremely well.

His magic system is intricate but easy to grasp, and is pretty much the best magic system I've experiened ever, in book, game or film. His races are not particularly original in their concepts, but are utterly singular in their culture and styIe. There is no good or bad, really - most characters are some shade of grey, and they know it. Erikson is also not afraid to borrow from other sources - for example, one of his major caracters is an Albino who wields a soul-consuming sword. *Cough*Elric*Cough. There are alot of nods and smiles at other great works.His books are very military-oriented (being compared with Glen Cook) and he leans towards the gritty and brutal. He's especially good at writing combat on grand scale. The writing is always well trimmed and engaging, but he does on occasion become overly-philosophical and even rambles at times.

I just cannot recommend it enough. The first book is called Gardens of the Moon.

CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
Start with the Dark Elf trilogy for Salvatore, it's first chronlogically.
TimothyGibbons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TimothyGibbons
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts
Steven Erikson is a pretty good writer.. you should read some books from him.. they're great..
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
the best i think are sabriel, lireal, and abhorsen by garth nix. definatly read those if you like eldest... same writing style
Witchsight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Witchsight
Member since 2004 • 12145 Posts

the best i think are sabriel, lireal, and abhorsen by garth nix. definatly read those if you like eldest... same writing styleIantheone

Did you mention this before? Ive looked into it and asked for them for xmas!

lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
My friend recommends Song of ice and fire by george rr martin
Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
The Song of Ice and Fire are fantastic. I'm a big fantasy fan and those are the best ones i've read in a while. Blew me right out of the water.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

[QUOTE="Iantheone"]the best i think are sabriel, lireal, and abhorsen by garth nix. definatly read those if you like eldest... same writing styleWitchsight

Did you mention this before? Ive looked into it and asked for them for xmas!

ummmm no but ive read all of them like 10 times over and they are still gud

jtj2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jtj2004
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

idk if this has been said already but the Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett is pretty awesome

drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

The Song of Ice and Fire are fantastic. I'm a big fantasy fan and those are the best ones i've read in a while. Blew me right out of the water.Guiltfeeder566

Agreed. It's my favorite series ever. So many plot twists and great character development.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
You need to read Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series. The books are based around humour, but so straight-faced that the strange situations just become a given, and seem perfectly acceptable.. Then how they stand out is the plot, as it is actually a stand-alone storyline, instead of simply an excuse to carry the plottowards the next joke. Thebest part, is that while their is continuity from one book to the other, every book works perfectly fine stand-alone, and they don't have to be read in order.