This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I keep hearing from people when I talk to them about religion that reason cannot be used against faith.

Well why not?

Why can't reason be used to explore and question faith?  It seems to me to be a cop out to say that faith is untouchable by trying to use reason to better understand it.  That faith is untouchable, that the one aspect that seems most important in life is inscrutable to logic.  Everything we better understand about our world around has been from reason and logic. 

If we are to attribute everything to faith that we don't understand, why don't we just go back and live in the middle ages and believe that objects fall to the ground because they "desire" to do so?

To relegate all that we don't understand to belief without first trying to apply what we as a species have learned and discovered seems, as awkward as it may sound, like an insult to faith and seems to minimize its importance.

Thoughts?

P. S.- This is NOT meant as a "disprove or prove God" thread.  I'm just having trouble understanding why faith is above and beyond the realm of understanding, especially when something like the Bible is clearly understood by reason and held as evidence of God.......and a reason for faith.

Crimson_Sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Crimson_Sin
Member since 2006 • 3004 Posts
*Hands out free flame shields to everyone*
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
What? No birthday party?! Then I'm leaving!
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts
*takes flame shield and wards off flameful statements*  That was really just mean more than anything.  Those with faith can use reason as well.
Zaeryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 Zaeryn
Member since 2005 • 9070 Posts
Errrr, yeah.. :|
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rekunta

*Hands out free flame shields to everyone*Crimson_Sin

Thanks, I Think I'll need one.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jim_shorts
Could I get a Hylian flame shield this time?
Zaeryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 Zaeryn
Member since 2005 • 9070 Posts
[QUOTE="Crimson_Sin"]*Hands out free flame shields to everyone*jim_shorts

I think the mirror shield is availible at this time :D
toad1956

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 toad1956
Member since 2004 • 1127 Posts
Reason was part of  church history and it lost favour. The ability to reason is important for believe. Questioning is at the core of exploring our believe.
Crimson_Sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Crimson_Sin
[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="Crimson_Sin"]*Hands out free flame shields to everyone*Zaeryn

Nope, you guys are just gonna have to settle for the standard issue Deku version I'm not made of money here
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rekunta

Reason was part of  church history and it lost favour. The ability to reason is important for believe. Questioning is at the core of exploring our believe.toad1956

Exactly.  Which is why I'm astonished that many can believe without at least questioning or trying to understand it.

jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 jfkunrendered
Member since 2005 • 8298 Posts
In short, what is your question. Are you asking why we dont question things?.... I`m a Christian.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jim_shorts
[QUOTE="Zaeryn"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="Crimson_Sin"]*Hands out free flame shields to everyone*Crimson_Sin

Nope, you guys are just gonna have to settle for the standard issue Deku version I'm not made of money here

The Deku shield burns up when exposed to flame though.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rekunta

In short, what is your question. Are you asking why we dont question things?.... I`m a Christian.jfkunrendered

The jist of it: "Why can't reason be used to explore and question faith?"

Account_27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Account_27
Member since 2005 • 13426 Posts
I swear, will these threads ever stop? Gamespot really needs a debate board.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jim_shorts
I swear, will these threads ever stop? Gamespot really needs a debate board.Account_27
  I actually proposed that, but some people didn't want one.:(
Crimson_Sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Crimson_Sin
The Deku shield burns up when exposed to flame though.jim_shorts
True... I'll just have to spring for the mirrors. *hands out mirror shields*
jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jfkunrendered
Well...i`ve questioned my faith before. But I see the alternative, which is evolution, and it is harder for me to believe in that than in my religion. Evolution is to farfetched for me, with no real transitional forms and so many scientist making up things...I guess...thats a tough question...put it in different words and it might help me to answer more complete.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jim_shorts
Well...i`ve questioned my faith before. But I see the alternative, which is evolution, and it is harder for me to believe in that than in my religion. Evolution is to farfetched for me, with no real transitional forms and so many scientist making up things...I guess...thats a tough question...put it in different words and it might help me to answer more complete.jfkunrendered
I feel the exact same way about evolution.
jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jfkunrendered
[QUOTE="jfkunrendered"]Well...i`ve questioned my faith before. But I see the alternative, which is evolution, and it is harder for me to believe in that than in my religion. Evolution is to farfetched for me, with no real transitional forms and so many scientist making up things...I guess...thats a tough question...put it in different words and it might help me to answer more complete.jim_shorts

You mean your faith is opposite of mine? Evolution>Christianity, or are you agreeing with me...?
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jim_shorts
[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="jfkunrendered"]Well...i`ve questioned my faith before. But I see the alternative, which is evolution, and it is harder for me to believe in that than in my religion. Evolution is to farfetched for me, with no real transitional forms and so many scientist making up things...I guess...thats a tough question...put it in different words and it might help me to answer more complete.jfkunrendered

You mean your faith is opposite of mine? Evolution>Christianity, or are you agreeing with me...?

A bit of confusion there I see.  I should have cut that quote.  Anyway, I'm saying that I couldn't possibly believe in evolution because of the sheer lack of everything.  Then they go and change it to explain why nothing is going like they said it would.
druglord6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 druglord6
Member since 2005 • 1030 Posts
can i have an arsenal one?
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rekunta

[QUOTE="jfkunrendered"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="jfkunrendered"]Well...i`ve questioned my faith before. But I see the alternative, which is evolution, and it is harder for me to believe in that than in my religion. Evolution is to farfetched for me, with no real transitional forms and so many scientist making up things...I guess...thats a tough question...put it in different words and it might help me to answer more complete.jim_shorts

A bit of confusion there I see.  I should have cut that quote.  Anyway, I'm saying that I couldn't possibly believe in evolution because of the sheer lack of everything.  Then they go and change it to explain why nothing is going like they said it would.

For me, evolution is a much more plausible explanation than the world being created in 7 days.  I may as well believe in magic.  Evolution does have scientific backing, whereas the Bible is what believers refer to as evidence.  This isn't to say I don't believe in a higher power, as I do, but I also believe in evolution........a sort of byproduct of creation that occurred so long ago.

But this is off-topic.  Reason and faith.  Oil and water or what?

Lemon-Demon35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lemon-Demon35
Member since 2006 • 5792 Posts
*hides in anti-flame bunker*
jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jfkunrendered

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="jfkunrendered"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="jfkunrendered"]Well...i`ve questioned my faith before. But I see the alternative, which is evolution, and it is harder for me to believe in that than in my religion. Evolution is to farfetched for me, with no real transitional forms and so many scientist making up things...I guess...thats a tough question...put it in different words and it might help me to answer more complete.Rekunta

A bit of confusion there I see. I should have cut that quote. Anyway, I'm saying that I couldn't possibly believe in evolution because of the sheer lack of everything. Then they go and change it to explain why nothing is going like they said it would.

For me, evolution is a much more plausible explanation than the world being created in 7 days. I may as well believe in magic. Evolution does have scientific backing, whereas the Bible is what believers refer to as evidence. This isn't to say I don't believe in a higher power, as I do, but I also believe in evolution........a sort of byproduct of creation that occurred so long ago.

But this is off-topic. Reason and faith. Oil and water or what?

Yeah, well now some think that God my have used evolution to create it, because it says in the bible that Gods time is different than ours, so the 7 years could be 7 million. But I would never buy evolution or that because of the proofs like the suns shrinking 2 inches a year, and if you track that back than the earth would have been burnt...because it would have been coverd by the sun. And the horse series...they still dont know about them do they? And the lack of transitional forms, which fore-runners of evolution said "without them, our belief is nothing."......but I gotta go, fun chatting!...I guess.