Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

So I am in love with a friend of mine but I am fairly sure that she doesn't feel anything. However I really have to get it off my chest even with minimal chance of reciprocation. I have given this enough thought and am not asking if I should do this or not.

My question is how to do this? Now I know it's generally a terrible idea to express love for the first time on text but do you think in this case it could be the best way? It would be the least awkward way for both of us. Or perhaps a phone call? In person it just doesn't feel right when she hasn't really given any hints. When there is such a huge chance of it being an awkward moment why not do it on text?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Gambler_3:

For anything involving a love confession, you should always do it in person. It shows how sincere you are about it and the impact will be stronger. Like you said, even though she might not react the way you want, this is something you have to do and you should show her those feelings in person because there's not much she can get from a text or a phone call. She might think you're joking that way!

As for the how to specifically, only you know the answer to that. You know her better than we would. Best of luck to ya!

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

Yeah don't do it via text. If it's too awkward "confessing" your feelings then simply ask her (in person) if she would be willing to go out on a date with you.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Agree with everyone else, don't do it by text.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

If you're going to express your feelings, do it in person.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Jesus...

How about you start dropping hints instead of putting all your eggs into one basket? Or at least tell her that you "maybe have more than friendly feelings" but under no circumstances just blurt out "I love you." That's beyond stupid and a great way to lose friends.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Doing it by text or even phone call is almost guaranteed to fail. Really, no chance unless she's so into you that it doesn't matter how you communicate or you're some kind of shakespare. Texting comes with an inherent form of awkwardness. You have to look into her eyes (not stare) when saying these kinds of things.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I'm in a similar situation and will use take the replies as food for thought, so keep dishing OT.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

^^^Not in the sense of thinking on whether I should do it by text or in person since long ago I decided I would do it in person. More on how to broach the subject etc.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Just think how an adult would do this and just know this, if the train get's going , it's hard to jump off

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

just have a good time one night and at the end of the night lean in and kiss her. easy shit bro

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Baron_Machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#14 Baron_Machina
Member since 2017 • 273 Posts

@Gambler_3: On text it's gonna be way more awkward. If you really wanna tell her, definitely do it in person. Doing it over text takes often makes it look like your not taking it seriously or that you can't fully face her and/or your emotions. Though I'm not sure if a full on love confession is the way to go if you don't have any idea if she has feelings for you.

You could start off a bit smaller like asking her on a date or telling her that you have some romantic feelings for her, but try not to come off too strong. Coming out with all your feelings at once will just make her feel uncomfortable and possibly damage your friendship. To summarize, definitely do it in person and think carefully about your approach so you don't overwhelm her. Hope things go over well for you!

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Friend told me she liked me. I didn't care. But I'm a guy so idk. We're still friends.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Gambler_3 said:

So I am in love with a friend of mine but I am fairly sure that she doesn't feel anything. However I really have to get it off my chest even with minimal chance of reciprocation. I have given this enough thought and am not asking if I should do this or not.

My question is how to do this? Now I know it's generally a terrible idea to express love for the first time on text but do you think in this case it could be the best way? It would be the least awkward way for both of us. Or perhaps a phone call? In person it just doesn't feel right when she hasn't really given any hints. When there is such a huge chance of it being an awkward moment why not do it on text?

Always do it in person, invite her out for a coffee and tell her the truth.

And to be fair you have nothing to lose, except perhaps that awkwardness for a bit after a rejection but weigh that against the gain.

So go for it and good luck.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

You're probably doomed friend, but this is one of those things you just gotta do. Good luck!

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

Don't listen to all of the horrible advice, a "*ick pic" over sms has none of the potentially damaging consequences of whipping it out in person. Plus, you have all of the fancy filters on phones these days- maybe a classy sepia?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Gambler_3: don't go full express love, that will just scare her away even if she has any kind of interest.

Try dropping hints or flirting and gauge what the reaction is first.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#20 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Speaking from the viewpoint of being on the receiving end of someone telling me they are romantically interested I prefer short and honest. As long as it's something a bit more elaborate than "lemme smash" I'm good :p

Seriously though, if I'm not interested I'm more likely to stay friends with you if you don't spend months dropping hints and making me do all the work bringing up the conversation you're trying to avoid. If I am interested all the better...you're honest, I'm interested, let's not waste time dancing around it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

This sounds like platonic love (like?) mixed with some sexual lust. If you really desire the relationship to move forward, you must talk to her frankly, and to her face, and accept whatever answer she gives and move on with your life.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

Just watch some old French romantic movies to get ideas about how you can talk through it in person.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

If you guys are genuine friends, I imagine they would understand if you are direct and honest.

Just, for the love of god, do not do it via anything electronic. Be a, ummmmmmmmm...what's it called. Oh yeah, A HUMAN! and do a human thing and talk to them in person, you know, look them in the eyes, speak clearly, maybe even practice what you are going to say, and be prepared for a variety of responses including:

A.) oh my GAWD I LOVE YOU TOO!

B.) sorry, I don't love you romantically, but I still love/like you as a friend

C.) what?! WHAT!?? AHHHHHHH GET AWAY CREEP!!! *runs off*

D.) or some other response

And remember, it's a risk, so you need to weigh the benefits and such; is this a friend you want for the rest of your life? Is it worth risking that friendship for a girlfriend you probably will break up with eventually? Don't just obsess over the "love" aspect of it, there's a lot to it.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#24 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

Amusing because I was just explaining to a coworker how girls don't have male friends and if they do the male friend wants to bone her.

HushBlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HushBlush
Member since 2017 • 72 Posts

Just let her know you like her.. its like its now or never.. we only live once and we have to make the most out of our lives. even if the response is not likely what you want to hear.. at least you have given yourself a chance to speak for your feelings.

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#26 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts

Do it in person. I had a guy text me that he loved me once...something about it just seems lazy and insincere . Like he couldn't make time to say it to my face.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

Well everyone already gave good advice but no one seem to have the heart to say the obvious...that the Friend Zone is a brutal place, the Zone taketh and very rarely giveth. Ser Jorah Mormont knows this forsaken lands very very well. So steel your heart to accept and ride out all possibilities.

I also agree that you don't have to go ALL OUT like your life depends on it. (well it feel like it does, right?) but yeah start dropping hints, signs and genuinely attempt to steer the relationship to a more...well, to the next level instead of the same old same old interaction, get what i mean? Girls are VERY instinctive and they'll get it, because they are masters at this sort of thing.