Ever challenge a tae kwon do guy?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts
You can keep on saying that but it could be a dangerous sport if wasn't so mainstream and was used for the olympics.shadowchronicle
Muay Thai isn't an Olympic sport, does that make it inefficient?
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#52 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
[QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]You can keep on saying that but it could be a dangerous sport if wasn't so mainstream and was used for the olympics.m25105

No not at all. I'm saying that because it is an olympics sport it hinders Tae Kwon Do by making it a Olympics sports. Now dojos are setup to teach kids how to do Tae Kwon Do following those olympic rules.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 m25105
[QUOTE="m25105"][QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]You can keep on saying that but it could be a dangerous sport if wasn't so mainstream and was used for the olympics.shadowchronicle

No not at all. I'm saying that because it is an olympics sport it hinders Tae Kwon Do by making it a Olympics sports. Now dojos are setup to teach kids how to do Tae Kwon Do following those olympic rules.

Boxing and Judo doesn't suffer these consequences and Judokas generally do very well in MMA whether it's under unified rules or Vale Tudo. If Tae Kwon Do is so efficient then they're shooting themselves in the foot by not proving it. Also just for fun, here is a video of Muay Thai vs Tae Kwon Do.
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Shadowchronicle
[QUOTE="shadowchronicle"][QUOTE="m25105"] Muay Thai isn't an Olympic sport, does that make it inefficient?m25105

Boxing and Judo doesn't suffer these consequences and Judokas generally do very well in MMA whether it's under unified rules or Vale Tudo. If Tae Kwon Do is so efficient then they're shooting themselves in the foot by not proving it. Also just for fun, here is a video of Muay Thai vs Tae Kwon Do.

Well never mind about that. All you're doing is going back to the present. Traditional Tae Kwon Do is just as good as other martial arts if I do say so myself. Muay Thai simply relies on destruction so I would say I knew the outcome before the match even started. If Tae Kwon Do's sole purpose was to learn how to break someone and tear another apart then it would be taken seriously.
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Shadowchronicle
The versions of Tae Kwon Do you have seen are diluted sports versions, if people were trained for real life situations it would be more suited in mma competitions. The same goes for karate that people always joke about, it also has been simplified for sports and athletics.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
[QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]The versions of Tae Kwon Do you have seen are diluted sports versions, if people were trained for real life situations it would be more suited in mma competitions. The same goes for karate that people always joke about, it also has been simplified for sports and athletics.

Exactly. People have been ignoring my posts in here, but I'll reiterate that there's training for sport and competition and training for the street and a real fight. The basics are still the same, but the application is completely different. I came this close to not getting my black belt because the techs that I was demonstrating were too much like sparring and not practical enough - basically I was trying to impress them. Ten minutes and many deep breaths later I showed them something more practical; it's amazing what nerves will do to you when adrenaline kicks in. What that told me is that I need to work less on sparring and more on practical application over the next year, since I spent the last several months working on sparring techs.
Truggly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Truggly
Member since 2011 • 43 Posts

[QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]The versions of Tae Kwon Do you have seen are diluted sports versions, if people were trained for real life situations it would be more suited in mma competitions. The same goes for karate that people always joke about, it also has been simplified for sports and athletics.MAILER_DAEMON
Exactly. People have been ignoring my posts in here, but I'll reiterate that there's training for sport and competition and training for the street and a real fight. The basics are still the same, but the application is completely different. I came this close to not getting my black belt because the techs that I was demonstrating were too much like sparring and not practical enough - basically I was trying to impress them. Ten minutes and many deep breaths later I showed them something more practical; it's amazing what nerves will do to you when adrenaline kicks in. What that told me is that I need to work less on sparring and more on practical application over the next year, since I spent the last several months working on sparring techs.

It doesn't sound like you thought this through. If you wanted sparring you should of looked into something else.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 MAILER_DAEMON

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]The versions of Tae Kwon Do you have seen are diluted sports versions, if people were trained for real life situations it would be more suited in mma competitions. The same goes for karate that people always joke about, it also has been simplified for sports and athletics.Truggly

It doesn't sound like you thought this through. If you wanted sparring you should of looked into something else.

My dojo spars a good deal with other dojos in friendly settings, and it was an area I wanted to improve. Sparring is not my priority; it's not why I got into martial arts, but it's a good skill to develop, especially among friends. Problem was that I spent TOO much time working on it leading up to my test, but the problem was remedied rather quickly. :P Please don't misinterpret what I said; I haven't been doing martial arts for 7 years just because I want to spar in a ring.
Truggly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Truggly
Member since 2011 • 43 Posts

[QUOTE="Truggly"]

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]Exactly. People have been ignoring my posts in here, but I'll reiterate that there's training for sport and competition and training for the street and a real fight. The basics are still the same, but the application is completely different. I came this close to not getting my black belt because the techs that I was demonstrating were too much like sparring and not practical enough - basically I was trying to impress them. Ten minutes and many deep breaths later I showed them something more practical; it's amazing what nerves will do to you when adrenaline kicks in. What that told me is that I need to work less on sparring and more on practical application over the next year, since I spent the last several months working on sparring techs.MAILER_DAEMON

My dojo spars a good deal with other dojos in friendly settings, and it was an area I wanted to improve. Sparring is not my priority; it's not why I got into martial arts, but it's a good skill to develop, especially among friends. Problem was that I spent TOO much time working on it leading up to my test, but the problem was remedied rather quickly. :P Please don't misinterpret what I said; I haven't been doing martial arts for 7 years just because I want to spar in a ring.

Sorry, I've been in a snarky mood all morning so I kinda just pounce a few things here and there.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Sorry, I've been in a snarky mood all morning so I kinda just pounce a few things here and there.

Truggly

You should go pounce a taw kwon do guy. Then come back to this thread.

Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Shadowchronicle
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]The versions of Tae Kwon Do you have seen are diluted sports versions, if people were trained for real life situations it would be more suited in mma competitions. The same goes for karate that people always joke about, it also has been simplified for sports and athletics.

Yeah sorry about not crediting your post. But I really did agree with it when I saw it.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#62 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]The versions of Tae Kwon Do you have seen are diluted sports versions, if people were trained for real life situations it would be more suited in mma competitions. The same goes for karate that people always joke about, it also has been simplified for sports and athletics.MAILER_DAEMON

So you practice Tae Kwon Do as well? As do I. In fact, I just graduated today as a 2nd Dan ranking in the martial art, an accomplishment that I'm very proud of! In any case, you're right on the practical - that's all my instructors cared about. Sparring is a different type of field and during my testing for 2nd Dan, we really didn't do much sparring at all. We basically worked on forms, weapons, self-defense, everything except for sparring, because it was more important that we showed that we could do all of this correctly and accurately while depicting ways we could defend ourselves in a street fight. Tae Kwon Do can be efficient on the street as long as you have good flexibility with your kicks, but then it becomes completely useless once your enemy knocks you to the ground. That's where Brazlian Ju-Jitsu comes in and BJJ is something I also had to do for my testing as well, which was two weeks ago. Also, this isn't aimed at you at all, but I saw one or two people call Tae Kwon Do a poor or not a useful art. I don't believe that, because the kicks in that art are really powerful and can do some serious harm to the opponent, so I wouldn't necesssarily dismiss that part as something poor or irrelevant.

Penguinchow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Penguinchow
Member since 2006 • 1629 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]The versions of Tae Kwon Do you have seen are diluted sports versions, if people were trained for real life situations it would be more suited in mma competitions. The same goes for karate that people always joke about, it also has been simplified for sports and athletics.Metamania

So you practice Tae Kwon Do as well? As do I. In fact, I just graduated today as a 2nd Dan ranking in the martial art, an accomplishment that I'm very proud of! In any case, you're right on the practical - that's all my instructors cared about. Sparring is a different type of field and during my testing for 2nd Dan, we really didn't do much sparring at all. We basically worked on forms, weapons, self-defense, everything except for sparring, because it was more important that we showed that we could do all of this correctly and accurately while depicting ways we could defend ourselves in a street fight. Tae Kwon Do can be efficient on the street as long as you have good flexibility with your kicks, but then it becomes completely useless once your enemy knocks you to the ground. That's where Brazlian Ju-Jitsu comes in and BJJ is something I also had to do for my testing as well, which was two weeks ago. Also, this isn't aimed at you at all, but I saw one or two people call Tae Kwon Do a poor or not a useful art. I don't believe that, because the kicks in that art are really powerful and can do some serious harm to the opponent, so I wouldn't necesssarily dismiss that part as something poor or irrelevant.

I really value the kicks that I picked up in tae kwon do, but after about two years of it I was done. There just wasn't that much more usefull stuff to pick up. As an MMA fighter I tend to do Muay Thai and BJJ, but I throw some TKD kicks fairly regularly, and with great effect. You'd be surprised how many muay thai guys freak and don't know what to do when they see a tornado kick or similar coming their way.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
a "taekwondo" guy? lol. just a guy who knows any martial arts? well i used to practice muay thai. great shin annihilating funCasualMike
Sorry, was half asleep, put the end quote in too early.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MAILER_DAEMON

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="shadowchronicle"]The versions of Tae Kwon Do you have seen are diluted sports versions, if people were trained for real life situations it would be more suited in mma competitions. The same goes for karate that people always joke about, it also has been simplified for sports and athletics.Metamania

No, I'm not TKD but I'm good friends with one of my kohai, who is 2nd Dan in it, and she's done a lot to teach me at kicking better and becoming more flexible while I've helped her get better with her hands and takedowns from a standing position. I haven't taken any BJJ, but Helio Soneca teaches classes at one of the places that our dojo used to practice at. That inspired my sensei (who used to be in the army and works his CQB into our IRK training) to at least teach us some ground work. Not for the sake of fighting on the ground, but to show up how to get out of ground situations to either retreat or re-engage from a standing position. Training in Iaido (that's what I have my other sho-dan rank in) has helped me deal with weapons, both in my hand and in the opponents' hands. :P

The nice thing about having someone who has trained in Okinawan-style work with someone who has trained in Korean-style is that you both see the basis for some of the basic chart techniques, plus moves from kata start suddendly have a practical application. There's a reason for why certain moves and techs are "traditional": they were taught because they worked.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Unless he's either a blackbelt or a seasoned red belt, then most can probably hold their own against them. And before you point fingers at me, I trained it and you honestly didn't learn self defence until the last two belts, everything else was just moving around in several patterns and memorizing what they meant so you could get the next belt.
sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

I'd say if you walked into a TKD dojo only about 1 out of every 20 people in it could kick your ass.

TKD is only really effective when combined with other martial arts, i have never learnt TKD properly but i have picked up alot of the kicks and such from my Muay Thai training over the years with Muay Thai vets teaching me them.

Also in a few MMA kickboxing bouts i have destroyed 7 TKD guys only one put up a fight and that was when he landed a beautiful inside leg kick and while that landed he used it to propel his other leg mid air into my head, (sorta what Shogun did to Rampage in pride), it hurt me but i came back from it and blitzed him with a punch combo (TKD guys dont really have that great a punching defence).

but like somone said i'd rather fight 3 TKD guys than a Muay Thai vet, 7 years of training and when one of my kicks gets checked on a shin still feels the same.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 m25105

Cung Le though is a scary bastard.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#69 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
Depending on their experience, probably not the smartest idea
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]Exactly. People have been ignoring my posts in here, but I'll reiterate that there's training for sport and competition and training for the street and a real fight. The basics are still the same, but the application is completely different. I came this close to not getting my black belt because the techs that I was demonstrating were too much like sparring and not practical enough - basically I was trying to impress them. Ten minutes and many deep breaths later I showed them something more practical; it's amazing what nerves will do to you when adrenaline kicks in. What that told me is that I need to work less on sparring and more on practical application over the next year, since I spent the last several months working on sparring techs.Penguinchow

I really value the kicks that I picked up in tae kwon do, but after about two years of it I was done. There just wasn't that much more usefull stuff to pick up. As an MMA fighter I tend to do Muay Thai and BJJ, but I throw some TKD kicks fairly regularly, and with great effect. You'd be surprised how many muay thai guys freak and don't know what to do when they see a tornado kick or similar coming their way.

It's that odd? You think with all their kicks they do in Muay Thai that they could see kicks from TKD coming a mile away! That being said, I understand where you are coming from; TKD only has so much offer in its field and since it's mainly focused on kicks, what else can you learn, besides some self-defense. Not every style can teach you everything you need to know about each punch or kick that's invented. So it's pefectly understandable that you decided to move on and explore other areas in the martial arts!

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]Exactly. People have been ignoring my posts in here, but I'll reiterate that there's training for sport and competition and training for the street and a real fight. The basics are still the same, but the application is completely different. I came this close to not getting my black belt because the techs that I was demonstrating were too much like sparring and not practical enough - basically I was trying to impress them. Ten minutes and many deep breaths later I showed them something more practical; it's amazing what nerves will do to you when adrenaline kicks in. What that told me is that I need to work less on sparring and more on practical application over the next year, since I spent the last several months working on sparring techs.MAILER_DAEMON

No, I'm not TKD but I'm good friends with one of my kohai, who is 2nd Dan in it, and she's done a lot to teach me at kicking better and becoming more flexible while I've helped her get better with her hands and takedowns from a standing position. I haven't taken any BJJ, but Helio Soneca teaches classes at one of the places that our dojo used to practice at. That inspired my sensei (who used to be in the army and works his CQB into our IRK training) to at least teach us some ground work. Not for the sake of fighting on the ground, but to show up how to get out of ground situations to either retreat or re-engage from a standing position. Training in Iaido (that's what I have my other sho-dan rank in) has helped me deal with weapons, both in my hand and in the opponents' hands. :P

The nice thing about having someone who has trained in Okinawan-style work with someone who has trained in Korean-style is that you both see the basis for some of the basic chart techniques, plus moves from kata start suddendly have a practical application. There's a reason for why certain moves and techs are "traditional": they were taught because they worked.

Ah OK! Sorry if I got that impression from your posting, but at least we can all bond due to our love of the martial arts, no matter what style we are in, right? :D I love working with weapons myself, especially in knowing how to use them and what you can do to take it away from opponents. So much fun! :P

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Yup. Smith and Wesson > Tae Kwon Do.