Elysium *Spoilers*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
Saw this last night. Wasn't impressed. Might be because I don't sympathise with the cause and thought the ending was sad rather than happy. Didn't think it was plausible that three men could launch a seemingly quite successful rebellion in HQ? Where were the robots? And the ending was surely tragic rather than a happy one. Elysium was created because of overpopulation and disease. It was an idyllic place because it was free from these problems. Now that anyone and everyone is allowed in, you essentially end up with the same set of problems you started out with and eliminate the whole point of Elysium. It will no longer be that place everyone aspires to, and will essentially be as doomed as earth is. Would have been interesting if the movie had expanded on the ideas and concepts it teased viewers with. And even what would become of Elysium now that it is no longer a utopia. Good thinking, but bad execution I think.
chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts
Looked like a shrug movie anyway. Wasn't impressed by the previews.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
from what i could gather, there was really no reasoning to not let people be cured of diseases rather than selfishness
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
from what i could gather, there was really no reasoning to not let people be cured of diseases rather than selfishness mrmusicman247
That doesn't really bother me - okay with free healthcare for all. But yeah, it's never really explained why the people on Earth aren't just allowed to even use the facilities on Elysium or transport those health devices to Earth. Costs? Limited technology? Don't think profits alone explain this - as it'd be more profitable to have a healthy society than an unhealthy one, even for the establishment. Although, surprisingly, those devices weren't able to save Damon.
Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

Started out a'ight and the heist scene was cool, but the rest...meh. VFX were good but did not care for the politics

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

I dunno, it was a decent movie, while the plot wasn't all that deep it was entertaining.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
I also thought that it lifted too many elements from District 9. I understand that directors try certain things again, but parts of this movie felt like a cut and paste job. It wasn't bad, but mostly it just made me think about how District 9 was better.
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

I thought the baddie wasn't developed enough, I could have sworn some of Jodie Foster's lines weren't synched at all, and the security at Elysium was HORRIBLE. But some of the action shots were cool, and the flashbacks were good.

Overall, it was decent.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
I thought it was great. Sharlto Copely was awesome!
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
i was disappointed in the lack of explanation of the universe. really wanted to sci-fi-y stuff to gush over
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#11 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5904 Posts

I thought it was a good movie, glad I saw it theatres for sure. However, there was a lot that could have been done better, but that is true for pretty much every movie ever made.

[spoiler] I thoroughly enjoyed watching all of the wealthy people (mostly Jodie Foster's character) get what they deserved, that was the best part of the movie [/spoiler]

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I liked it. It was a typical sci-fi movie, the ones I like.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"]from what i could gather, there was really no reasoning to not let people be cured of diseases rather than selfishness michaelP4
That doesn't really bother me - okay with free healthcare for all. But yeah, it's never really explained why the people on Earth aren't just allowed to even use the facilities on Elysium or transport those health devices to Earth. Costs? Limited technology? Don't think profits alone explain this - as it'd be more profitable to have a healthy society than an unhealthy one, even for the establishment. Although, surprisingly, those devices weren't able to save Damon.

Weren' t those health devices able to "cure" aging? Imagine if everyone on the planet was "immortal". That would lead to disastrous overpopulation. The high class of Elysium probably wanted to prevent just that. And of course they' re rich so they can be dicks as much as they like. :P

WinsteadVolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 WinsteadVolve
Member since 2011 • 366 Posts

The ending was pitch perfect, it is what Neil Blomkamp, the director does best, he did it in District 9, he balanced the good aspects of a person's death, with the good aspects, he's just saved humanity. He did this in D9 by turning Sharlto into a prawn, but saving the alien race and sending them home, The TC is clouded by hollywood movie ending's, rather than the sentimental ones with deeper meaning.

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

The plot of the film was certainly lacking, however the visual style and Sharlto Copley's performance alone make it worth rewatching for me.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Pacing was way off, didn't have the same urgency as D9. Never felt like Matt Damon's character was in any real danger except for when he was being drilled up with the suit. Movie had some fantastic eyecandy, but Neill Blomkamp needs to hire a writer, or at least a story editor.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I thought it was OK. I could have done without the obvious political undertones, but it was a decent enough action sci-fi movie.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

Saw this last night. Wasn't impressed. Might be because I don't sympathise with the cause and thought the ending was sad rather than happy. Didn't think it was plausible that three men could launch a seemingly quite successful rebellion in HQ? Where were the robots? And the ending was surely tragic rather than a happy one. Elysium was created because of overpopulation and disease. It was an idyllic place because it was free from these problems. Now that anyone and everyone is allowed in, you essentially end up with the same set of problems you started out with and eliminate the whole point of Elysium. It will no longer be that place everyone aspires to, and will essentially be as doomed as earth is. Would have been interesting if the movie had expanded on the ideas and concepts it teased viewers with. And even what would become of Elysium now that it is no longer a utopia. Good thinking, but bad execution I think.michaelP4

I thought just the opposite.  Good execution, but the whole concept falls apart if you think about it too much. 

I was impressed with the whole world they created and the visualisation of that was very believable, and Sharlto Copley's performance was really stand-out excellent.  The general plot doesn't hold up to much scrutiny though, and the political slant they put on it did not make their case in a convincing manner.

Â