Economic Inequality is Hurting Our Well-Being

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

Richard Wilkinson: How economic inequality harms societies

When the rich and poor are too far apart, it affects health, lifespan, stress and the overall quality of life for everyone. Not just poor people. And even at the top, there seems to be a small benefit to being in an equal society.

Do you care about the well-being of others more than your own wealth?

Charazani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Charazani
Member since 2011 • 2919 Posts
I care more about my own well being then I do for anyone elses. As for personal wealth , would find ways to give to those who may be in need. But would not want to be forced into doing so.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts

You would want to be taxed higher? :lol:

So easy to say when you're not the rich guy.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

There's a reason why countries in Northern Europe always top the happiness rankings.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
This has been known since forever but so many people are too selfish to think on anything but their own well being and they think they live in a bubble where everything that happens in a social level does not affect them. The ironic part is that in the end they'll get f***** up too.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

No ****. OF COURSE the median quality of life is going to be lower when a higher proportion of the wealth is concentrated in a smaller proportion of the population.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Everything would be so much more fair if they took the money away from the people who earned it and gave it to those who didn't.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

LongZhiZi

Millionaires are actually telling congress to raise their taxes.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
Your question pushes people into a corner. It's either, you say yes and look like a good person, or say no and look like an *&$hole. It's not that simple. Obviously I care about the well being of others, but me getting taxed more doesn't mean that my taxed income is going to go to those that need it most. Plus, if I were exceedingly wealthy, I would assume I did something to deserve the money and wouldn't just give it up willy nilly because I feel bad for others. Sure I would donate to charities, but I wouldn't just give others half my yearly income because they're incapable of being paid more. How do you distinguish between those that actually need financial help and those that are just too lazy to get a better job or education? We can't all be wealthy is the main thing everyone should know, it's literally impossible.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

LongZhiZi
I'm not rich, but I'm doing OK, and I've been arguing for higher tax rates (personal and otherwise) for awhile now. I'm more concerned about the state of the economy on a macro scale than a micro scale at this point in time
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rikusaki

Everything would be so much more fair if they took the money away from the people who earned it and gave it to those who didn't.

Jackc8

It doesn't have to be like that. In Japan, people start out more equal before taxes. The difference in what people earn in the first place is not as extreme as it is in the US.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rikusaki

Japan's CEOs are badass.

The CEO of Japan Airlines cut his own salary so he didn't have to fire anyone.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DroidPhysX

Japan's CEOs are badass.

The CEO of Japan Airlines cut his own salary so he didn't have to fire anyone.

Rikusaki
America CEOs: Take tax payer money Give out multimillion dollar bonuses for doing crap
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

Rikusaki

It doesn't have to be like that. In Japan, people start out more equal before taxes. The difference in what people earn in the first place is not as extreme as it is in the US.

Japan also has a more progressive tax structure with personal income taxes ranging from 5% to 50% (both national and local calculated in). Higher marginal tax rates lower income discrepancy because adding income beyond a certain threshold is viewed as less beneficial than reinvestment. Some of that may be coming into play in Japan as well.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
I don't know how much we could possibly change the tax code to help the lower and middle classes. 1/3 of American's pay no income tax. The bottom 50% only pay 3% of the total income tax, while the top 10% pay over 70% of the income tax. It's obviously not a problem with taxes but a problem with an overall structure on how those income taxes are being used. We need a serious re-organization of national agencies and tax spendings if we are ever going to get this country back on track.
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rikusaki
I don't know how much we could possibly change the tax code to help the lower and middle classes. 1/3 of American's pay no income tax. The bottom 50% only pay 3% of the total income tax, while the top 10% pay over 70% of the income tax. It's obviously not a problem with taxes but a problem with an overall structure on how those income taxes are being used. We need a serious re-organization of national agencies and tax spendings if we are ever going to get this country back on track. ferrari2001
I don't think we should just tax the crap out of the rich. Workers should earn more to begin with, and CEOs earn too much. There needs to be equality before taxes.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kuraimen

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

Rikusaki

Exactly I don't know why people assume that when someone talks badly about wealth distribution they mean just to raise taxes. There are many ways to redistribute wealth. For starters stop the ridiculous difference in salaries.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I love this whole "they earned it" excuse people come up with. You guys do know how the top 0.1% of the country's income earners make their money, right? It's not by working. A lot of them even don't work at all. Rather they just collect obscene amounts of money off of annual stock dividends. And thanks to the tax rates on marginal gains, they also get taxed less than you do if you make $35,000 or more a year, even if they're pulling in hundreds of millions of dollars that year. But that's not the best part. The best part is that they can then use their extraordinary wealth to bribe congressmen (in the form of campaign contributions) to introduce legislation that benefits only them at the cost of everyone else. Hence why the tax rate on the top bracket has plummeted in the last few decades while no other class saw noticeable differences in their taxes (funny enough, the average income for the top 1% has risen steadily since the 1970s whereas the average income for the other 99% has remained frozen since the mid 70s; and yes, that's all adjusting for inflation). Really the only reason that this extreme wealth disparity exists in the US (and yes it is extreme, it's on par with third world African countries) is because our culture has done a great job at brainwashing people into thinking that they're DEFINITELY going to be millionaires (or even billionaires!) one day. People think that it's just the matter of opening the right business or making the right invention or making your big break in hollywood or winning the lottery (probably the most likely of all these options to actually work). In reality, you're stuck in the middle class. Even if you get into the top 1% by being a doctor or lawyer (or even most businessmen), you're actually STILL not part of the wealthy everyone is upset about. You're at the border between the 98th and 99th percentiles. The real wealthy are concentrated the top 0.1%, and it's not until you get to the top 0.05% that you reach the Bill Gates and Rupert Murdochs of the country.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"]

DroidPhysX

maybe some are. but i doubt most would would want something like that

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

I love this whole "they earned it" excuse people come up with. You guys do know how the top 0.1% of the country's income earners make their money, right? It's not by working. A lot of them even don't work at all. Rather they just collect obscene amounts of money off of annual stock dividends. And thanks to the tax rates on marginal gains, they also get taxed less than you do if you make $35,000 or more a year, even if they're pulling in hundreds of millions of dollars that year. But that's not the best part. The best part is that they can then use their extraordinary wealth to bribe congressmen (in the form of campaign contributions) to introduce legislation that benefits only them at the cost of everyone else. Hence why the tax rate on the top bracket has plummeted in the last few decades while no other class saw noticeable differences in their taxes (funny enough, the average income for the top 1% has risen steadily since the 1970s whereas the average income for the other 99% has remained frozen since the mid 70s; and yes, that's all adjusting for inflation). Really the only reason that this extreme wealth disparity exists in the US (and yes it is extreme, it's on par with third world African countries) is because our culture has done a great job at brainwashing people into thinking that they're DEFINITELY going to be millionaires (or even billionaires!) one day. People think that it's just the matter of opening the right business or making the right invention or making your big break in hollywood or winning the lottery (probably the most likely of all these options to actually work). In reality, you're stuck in the middle class. Even if you get into the top 1% by being a doctor or lawyer (or even most businessmen), you're actually STILL not part of the wealthy everyone is upset about. You're at the border between the 98th and 99th percentiles. The real wealthy are concentrated the top 0.1%, and it's not until you get to the top 0.05% that you reach the Bill Gates and Rupert Murdochs of the country.gameguy6700
^this

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

No ****. OF COURSE the median quality of life is going to be lower when a higher proportion of the wealth is concentrated in a smaller proportion of the population.

Barbariser
My God! Your math makes sense!!!
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kuraimen

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]I love this whole "they earned it" excuse people come up with. You guys do know how the top 0.1% of the country's income earners make their money, right? It's not by working. A lot of them even don't work at all. Rather they just collect obscene amounts of money off of annual stock dividends. And thanks to the tax rates on marginal gains, they also get taxed less than you do if you make $35,000 or more a year, even if they're pulling in hundreds of millions of dollars that year. But that's not the best part. The best part is that they can then use their extraordinary wealth to bribe congressmen (in the form of campaign contributions) to introduce legislation that benefits only them at the cost of everyone else. Hence why the tax rate on the top bracket has plummeted in the last few decades while no other class saw noticeable differences in their taxes (funny enough, the average income for the top 1% has risen steadily since the 1970s whereas the average income for the other 99% has remained frozen since the mid 70s; and yes, that's all adjusting for inflation). Really the only reason that this extreme wealth disparity exists in the US (and yes it is extreme, it's on par with third world African countries) is because our culture has done a great job at brainwashing people into thinking that they're DEFINITELY going to be millionaires (or even billionaires!) one day. People think that it's just the matter of opening the right business or making the right invention or making your big break in hollywood or winning the lottery (probably the most likely of all these options to actually work). In reality, you're stuck in the middle class. Even if you get into the top 1% by being a doctor or lawyer (or even most businessmen), you're actually STILL not part of the wealthy everyone is upset about. You're at the border between the 98th and 99th percentiles. The real wealthy are concentrated the top 0.1%, and it's not until you get to the top 0.05% that you reach the Bill Gates and Rupert Murdochs of the country.BossPerson

^this

I agree.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Yes I care more about my wealth than other peoples well being

by a lot

a looooooooott

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

No, I most certainly do not. When it comes right down to it, no one else will care about you except yourself. May as well be in a position where you can take care of yourself.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rikusaki
[QUOTE="BossPerson"]

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]I love this whole "they earned it" excuse people come up with. You guys do know how the top 0.1% of the country's income earners make their money, right? It's not by working. A lot of them even don't work at all. Rather they just collect obscene amounts of money off of annual stock dividends. And thanks to the tax rates on marginal gains, they also get taxed less than you do if you make $35,000 or more a year, even if they're pulling in hundreds of millions of dollars that year. But that's not the best part. The best part is that they can then use their extraordinary wealth to bribe congressmen (in the form of campaign contributions) to introduce legislation that benefits only them at the cost of everyone else. Hence why the tax rate on the top bracket has plummeted in the last few decades while no other class saw noticeable differences in their taxes (funny enough, the average income for the top 1% has risen steadily since the 1970s whereas the average income for the other 99% has remained frozen since the mid 70s; and yes, that's all adjusting for inflation). Really the only reason that this extreme wealth disparity exists in the US (and yes it is extreme, it's on par with third world African countries) is because our culture has done a great job at brainwashing people into thinking that they're DEFINITELY going to be millionaires (or even billionaires!) one day. People think that it's just the matter of opening the right business or making the right invention or making your big break in hollywood or winning the lottery (probably the most likely of all these options to actually work). In reality, you're stuck in the middle class. Even if you get into the top 1% by being a doctor or lawyer (or even most businessmen), you're actually STILL not part of the wealthy everyone is upset about. You're at the border between the 98th and 99th percentiles. The real wealthy are concentrated the top 0.1%, and it's not until you get to the top 0.05% that you reach the Bill Gates and Rupert Murdochs of the country.kuraimen

^this

I agree.

Yep. Me too. Well said, sir.
wellbigd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wellbigd
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts

No, I most certainly do not. When it comes right down to it, no one else will care about you except yourself. May as well be in a position where you can take care of yourself.

airshocker
and... that's why nothing ever changes. In america were taught just to worry about our selves.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I have a problem with nearly half the country not paying taxes and then turning to the other half that does and wanting them to pay more so we can expand social welfare programs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

There is always going to be some inequality, because let's face it, some of us are just better. Like me. But the scope of inequality does lead to problems. Too much concentration of wealth is not a good thing, although I dont think that weatlh, itslelf, is a constant. So simpy viewing that because one person has more money means that another person will have less as a consequence is not entirely true.

Tokugawa77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 Tokugawa77
Member since 2009 • 1554 Posts
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]I love this whole "they earned it" excuse people come up with. You guys do know how the top 0.1% of the country's income earners make their money, right? It's not by working. A lot of them even don't work at all. Rather they just collect obscene amounts of money off of annual stock dividends. And thanks to the tax rates on marginal gains, they also get taxed less than you do if you make $35,000 or more a year, even if they're pulling in hundreds of millions of dollars that year. But that's not the best part. The best part is that they can then use their extraordinary wealth to bribe congressmen (in the form of campaign contributions) to introduce legislation that benefits only them at the cost of everyone else. Hence why the tax rate on the top bracket has plummeted in the last few decades while no other class saw noticeable differences in their taxes (funny enough, the average income for the top 1% has risen steadily since the 1970s whereas the average income for the other 99% has remained frozen since the mid 70s; and yes, that's all adjusting for inflation). Really the only reason that this extreme wealth disparity exists in the US (and yes it is extreme, it's on par with third world African countries) is because our culture has done a great job at brainwashing people into thinking that they're DEFINITELY going to be millionaires (or even billionaires!) one day. People think that it's just the matter of opening the right business or making the right invention or making your big break in hollywood or winning the lottery (probably the most likely of all these options to actually work). In reality, you're stuck in the middle class. Even if you get into the top 1% by being a doctor or lawyer (or even most businessmen), you're actually STILL not part of the wealthy everyone is upset about. You're at the border between the 98th and 99th percentiles. The real wealthy are concentrated the top 0.1%, and it's not until you get to the top 0.05% that you reach the Bill Gates and Rupert Murdochs of the country.

Well, that's capitalism. The guys who made millions from stocks earned them- they took a risk, and it paid off. I think that actors, pro sports players, etc are payed way too highly, but again- capitalism. Everything is worth what it's purchaser will pay for it. The only sure way to make it in this country is to graduate from high shcool, and hopefully go to college, which is the way it should be. Sometimes (NOT in all cases, mind you- some people are just born poor and don't have the opportunity for good education), blue collar workers are in that position because they didn't prioritize their school work as kids and teens, and thus couldn't find a high paying jobs. usually, capitalism gives everyone what they deserve.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"]

BossPerson

maybe some are. but i doubt most would would want something like that

68% want more taxes

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
40% of my work is already taken, i wont give a cent to a homeless person, though i still buy them food often....
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gameguy6700

I have a problem with nearly half the country not paying taxes and then turning to the other half that does and wanting them to pay more so we can expand social welfare programs.

Wasdie

Yeah, that greedy 40% with all their wealth. They must have like, what, at least a quarter in the wealth in the country right?

Oh no wait, their combined amount of wealth is so tiny that it in practice it may as well not even exist

Interestingly the only place the bottom 40% show up is when looking at debt. There the bottom 90% hold 75% of the country's debt, the next 9% hold 20% of the debt, and the remaining one percent hold 5% of the debt

But yeah, let's make the people who LITERALLY HAVE NO WEALTH pay just as much in taxes as the people WHO HAVE ALL THE WEALTH.

My sources btw. You should read them, there's a lot more that I didn't bother going into.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph

http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DroidPhysX
[QUOTE="wellbigd"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

Vuurk
and... that's why nothing ever changes. In america were taught just to worry about our selves.

There is over 6 billion people on Earth. Start caring about every single one of them. Even the overwhelming majority who you will never seen or even know about. This is flawed logic.

Yes. When was it America's job to police the world and care for everyone?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

gameguy6700

Yeah, that greedy 40% with all their wealth. They must have like, what, at least a quarter in the wealth in the country right?

Oh no wait, they actually control 1% of it combined

Interestingly the only place the bottom 40% show up is when looking at debt. There the bottom 90% hold 75% of the country's debt, the next 9% hold 20% of the debt, and the remaining one percent hold 5% of the debt

But yeah, let's make the people who LITERALLY HAVE NO WEALTH pay just as much in taxes as the people WHO HAVE ALL THE WEALTH.

My sources btw. You should read them, there's a lot more that I didn't bother going into.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph

I don't know how that has anything to do with me paying taxes while a huge chunk doesn't.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#38 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

Wasdie
Yeah I have a problem with that too. Plus where does this tax money even go to? I feel like what rich people already pay for is going to dust.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

shadowchronicle

Yeah I have a problem with that too. Plus where does this tax money even go to? I feel like what rich people already pay for is going to dust.

This country collects a massive amount of tax money already which gets squandered. It's crap.

Social security, medicare, and war spending waste most of it.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DroidPhysX
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

shadowchronicle

To the United States federal, state and loval governments to fund various programs such as the bloated federal defense budget.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gameguy6700
[QUOTE="Tokugawa77"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"]I love this whole "they earned it" excuse people come up with. You guys do know how the top 0.1% of the country's income earners make their money, right? It's not by working. A lot of them even don't work at all. Rather they just collect obscene amounts of money off of annual stock dividends. And thanks to the tax rates on marginal gains, they also get taxed less than you do if you make $35,000 or more a year, even if they're pulling in hundreds of millions of dollars that year. But that's not the best part. The best part is that they can then use their extraordinary wealth to bribe congressmen (in the form of campaign contributions) to introduce legislation that benefits only them at the cost of everyone else. Hence why the tax rate on the top bracket has plummeted in the last few decades while no other class saw noticeable differences in their taxes (funny enough, the average income for the top 1% has risen steadily since the 1970s whereas the average income for the other 99% has remained frozen since the mid 70s; and yes, that's all adjusting for inflation). Really the only reason that this extreme wealth disparity exists in the US (and yes it is extreme, it's on par with third world African countries) is because our culture has done a great job at brainwashing people into thinking that they're DEFINITELY going to be millionaires (or even billionaires!) one day. People think that it's just the matter of opening the right business or making the right invention or making your big break in hollywood or winning the lottery (probably the most likely of all these options to actually work). In reality, you're stuck in the middle class. Even if you get into the top 1% by being a doctor or lawyer (or even most businessmen), you're actually STILL not part of the wealthy everyone is upset about. You're at the border between the 98th and 99th percentiles. The real wealthy are concentrated the top 0.1%, and it's not until you get to the top 0.05% that you reach the Bill Gates and Rupert Murdochs of the country.

Well, that's capitalism. The guys who made millions from stocks earned them- they took a risk, and it paid off. I think that actors, pro sports players, etc are payed way too highly, but again- capitalism. Everything is worth what it's purchaser will pay for it. The only sure way to make it in this country is to graduate from high shcool, and hopefully go to college, which is the way it should be. Sometimes (NOT in all cases, mind you- some people are just born poor and don't have the opportunity for good education), blue collar workers are in that position because they didn't prioritize their school work as kids and teens, and thus couldn't find a high paying jobs. usually, capitalism gives everyone what they deserve.

Actually the people who make millions off of stocks just had a very large pool of money to draw from, and they don't put it in risky ventures but rather safe bets like Intel and Microsoft. It's almost unheard of for a person to start off with a penny stock and end up rich. Also, going to college hardly ensures you'll succeed. A LOT of people graduate college just to wind up in jobs that don't even require a college degree. Furthermore, when you consider college debt it can actually make you worse off. No offense, but you sound like you're still early in high school from how naive about the real world you sound in your post. I mean, saying something like "blue collar workers are in that position because they didn't prioritize their school work as kids and teens, and thus couldn't find a high paying jobs" is something that I could only ever imagine a child saying because they're just parroting what their parents and teachers tell them (ironically their teachers being a prime example of people who did finish college, often grad school for a master's degree, only to earn less than the national average income).
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

I don't know how that has anything to do with me paying taxes while a huge chunk doesn't.

40% of the country controls 0% of the wealth. Hence why they pay 0% of the taxes.

20% of the country controls 80% of the wealth. Hence why they pay taxes.

Does it make sense now? I really can't figure out how to dumb this down any more than I already have.

Tokugawa77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 Tokugawa77
Member since 2009 • 1554 Posts
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="Tokugawa77"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"]I love this whole "they earned it" excuse people come up with. You guys do know how the top 0.1% of the country's income earners make their money, right? It's not by working. A lot of them even don't work at all. Rather they just collect obscene amounts of money off of annual stock dividends. And thanks to the tax rates on marginal gains, they also get taxed less than you do if you make $35,000 or more a year, even if they're pulling in hundreds of millions of dollars that year. But that's not the best part. The best part is that they can then use their extraordinary wealth to bribe congressmen (in the form of campaign contributions) to introduce legislation that benefits only them at the cost of everyone else. Hence why the tax rate on the top bracket has plummeted in the last few decades while no other class saw noticeable differences in their taxes (funny enough, the average income for the top 1% has risen steadily since the 1970s whereas the average income for the other 99% has remained frozen since the mid 70s; and yes, that's all adjusting for inflation). Really the only reason that this extreme wealth disparity exists in the US (and yes it is extreme, it's on par with third world African countries) is because our culture has done a great job at brainwashing people into thinking that they're DEFINITELY going to be millionaires (or even billionaires!) one day. People think that it's just the matter of opening the right business or making the right invention or making your big break in hollywood or winning the lottery (probably the most likely of all these options to actually work). In reality, you're stuck in the middle class. Even if you get into the top 1% by being a doctor or lawyer (or even most businessmen), you're actually STILL not part of the wealthy everyone is upset about. You're at the border between the 98th and 99th percentiles. The real wealthy are concentrated the top 0.1%, and it's not until you get to the top 0.05% that you reach the Bill Gates and Rupert Murdochs of the country.

Actually the people who make millions off of stocks just had a very large pool of money to draw from, and they don't put it in risky ventures but rather safe bets like Intel and Microsoft. It's almost unheard of for a person to start off with a penny stock and end up rich. Also, going to college hardly ensures you'll succeed. A LOT of people graduate college just to wind up in jobs that don't even require a college degree. Furthermore, when you consider college debt it can actually make you worse off. No offense, but you sound like you're still early in high school from how naive about the real world you sound in your post. I mean, saying something like "blue collar workers are in that position because they didn't prioritize their school work as kids and teens, and thus couldn't find a high paying jobs" is something that I could only ever imagine a child saying because they're just parroting what their parents and teachers tell them (ironically their teachers being a prime example of people who did finish college, often grad school for a master's degree, only to earn less than the national average income).

None taken. I understand that my opinion sounds like a stereotypical "foothills" kid, but that does not stop me from beleiving it, just from personal experience. Out of all my friends in from high school, I think only one makes over $20,000 a year. None of them had better than a 3.0 GPA- most were happy to just pass their classes and nothing more. The last time I met with one of them, he complained about how he was being screwed over by the government, but I knew clearly why he was in the position he was in. Granted, I'm not that far out of college, so they havn't really been working long, but it's clear to me that they don't have that many future options. Fair point about the college debt, though.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-o0kD9f6wo&feature=related this is the thread i wanted to post this in
StRaItJaCkEt36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 StRaItJaCkEt36
Member since 2011 • 551 Posts
anyone with a brain knows that
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
You're assuming that wealth equality helps life expectancy, stress ect and not that relaxed and happy people tend to be more generous with their wealth.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

Wasdie
This, the people who don't pay shouldn't be dictating tax rates. Think about it from rich peoples' point of view: would you want to support a society which is full of social problems? If you see the poor as having a high crime and drug rate are you really going to want more equality?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

gameguy6700

40% of the country controls 0% of the wealth. Hence why they pay 0% of the taxes.

20% of the country controls 80% of the wealth. Hence why they pay taxes.

Does it make sense now? I really can't figure out how to dumb this down any more than I already have.

Yeah, and I pay more taxes. Unless you FORCE businesses to pay more to their employees or have the state controls the businesses to distribute the wealth, I'll still be paying the taxes and people will still not be paying the taxes adn they'll want more social welfare benifits.

The ideas that most people have put forward to distribute the wealth bascially tax our rich and corproations into oblivion and make them unable to compete.

You want to redistribute the wealth we get that. How would you do that? By taxing everything to oblivion? By stopping people from making money by putting up salary caps? By drastically increasing the minimum wage?

There are 6+ million companies in America that pay employees. Whatever you do on a business level effects them all. You could permanently ruin small business with good intentions.

I'm all for closing tax loopholes and stopping some of the major companies from not paying taxes, but that isn't redistributing the wealth at all.

There is also a difference between our version of poverty and the rest of the world. Our version includes vacations, TV, cars, housing, clean water, food, warmth, air condition, nice clothing, cellphones, internet... Not saying that everybody living in poverty has these things, but as a consumerist society we don't view poverty like we should. There is a difference between somebody being able to not feed themselves and somebody who can't afford the latest iPhone because they don't have enough money.

Our distribution of wealth sucks in this country becasue since the 80s the amount of wealth our country has made has been exponentially higher than before. Wages have stagnated because cost of living has stagnated over the past 30 years and is only now, in this crappy economy, starting to go back up. Thus people are now seeing the effects of having to low of wages for standard of living.

The real problems is that we've been taught that we can live outside of our means. People getting into massive debt over nothing and then getting into a lot of trouble because of that. Why do we import more than we export? Simply because people feel the need that stuff = wealth. Why did our housing market crash? Prices were inflated with all of the people buying houses way out of their means. Part of the problem was the banks lending them the stupidly high amount of money then using that for crap investments and the other factor was people were getting houses outside fo their means. They flooded the market with cash and prices went up. Now that burst and housing prices are coming back down to where they should have been all along. This all is because people during the 80s, 90s, and 2000s all decided that living on credit and having stuff is the way to live. Blend in the deregulation of banks and that spelled economic nightmare for everybody else.

Of course that system wasn't going to surive and it's falling. However a redistribution of the wealth isn't the solution like people make it out to be. Insta redistribution would hike inflation to levels unseen and make our dollar worthless in the market.

What we need to do is to continue to teach people to stop living out of their means as well as stop businesses from screwing over their employees and getting out of taxes. If everybody contributed their share things would be different. We still have a problem with the ability to easily export low-income jobs to china, so we need to take a look at what to do about forgien investments.

All people have been doing is pointing to the rich and saying it is their fault. This damn blame culture is causing us more harm than our own selfish and wasteful ways. People need to learn to accept responsibity for their actions on ALL levels. CEOs who run their comapny to the ground shouldn't be getting massive bonsues and an 18 year old with a 12k credit card limit should think of it as free money. Everybody is equally responsible for the mess we have. The solution isn't to pin it on a small group and use them as a scape goat while you parade around making terrible decisions.

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts
if they took the risks to gain capital....then they earned it.. private gains and private losses....not public gains and private losses.