EB Games -> The Fuhrer of Game dealing? I think so

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Kevman22
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Remember when PS2 came out, and it was around 700$, well I've still got one. The original. I wanted to trade up for an Xbox 360 for over a year now, and I finally seen a deal at EB games that if you traded in your old console, and 8 games they gave you up to 200$ off the purchase of an Xbox 360 Arcade (I know, 256mB Harddrive) but for 99$, who really cared, I could buy a memory card if I had to.

Anyways, I went to EB games on Tuesday, of this week. I asked the guy at the counter about the Xbox deal he told me if I trade in 8 games, valued at 8$ or more, they would be raised up to 25$, and that would count to the purchase of the Xbox 360, aswell as the trade in of my rarely used, classic PS2. So I left with a smile, and collected up my games preparing to go to EB games on Friday, when I had the day off.

So I picked up my girlfriend, and headed down to EB games with my PS2, controller, Memory card, 9 games, and a few hundred bucks in cash. I walked up to the counter and was completely ignored by the store clerks. So I waited patiently while they came back from break, single file, 5 minutes apart.

This is how the conversation went with the trade ins which were -> Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Nascar Thunder 2002, Crash The Wrath of Cortex, True Crime Streets of LA, Silent Scope, Metal Gear Solid 3, Dynasty Warriors 3, and Scarface the World is Yours;

Scruffy counter guy -> "Ok, this deal ended yesterday, so this will just be taken off the 299$"

Myself -> "well I came in on tuesday, and no one mentioned this to me when i told them I was coming back today"

Scruffy counter guy -> "Well, we'll scan them anyway, probably not worth much"

Scruffy Counter guy again -> "ok, 1$, 3$(Silent Scope, suprising, I know), 1$, 2$, nothing, it's the black edition with Hot Coffee, I'm not even going to bother scanning the rest."

Myself -> "Well the PS2 has to be worth something"

Scruffy Counter guy -> "10$, but since it's dusty, I won't give you anything for it"

Myself -> "well I'll take my business elsewhere then, like Best Buy"

Well thanks to you EB Games, in Windsor Ontario on Walker road next to Canadian Tire. Enjoy the competition of a Best Buy right across the street.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
Wow, that's ridiculous... $1 for used games? They'll probably still sell them for $15-20... :|
Kevman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kevman22
Best part is, 1/2 of those games I bought at EB, acually, the same store. They still has the price stickers, True Crime was 10$, and Dynasty Warriors 3 was 19.99.
goldenpony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 goldenpony
Member since 2007 • 254 Posts
I feel they are only out for themselves. I went to Game Stop yesterday and asked about selling my Xbox. They told me about $20 for the system and the games would be different for each one. But they did tell me about a special, the more you sell the more you get, but instore credit only.
igl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 igl
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts
Why do you go to EB in the first place? I heard alot of flaming about EB, but since i am European I could not really judge for myself, until one day.. I was in the US and actually went into a few EB Stores, just to find how out those people really are trained to fool you. At least i was prepared, but i saw puny people who bought stuff infront of me in line... poor them. The clerk tried to talk all into special deals like buy 2 games for less, recommending only the worse titles. Even when those people were just 15 year old kids, who don't exactly burst with enough confidence and judgement of the situation that there is someone who just wants to lure more money out of their pocket. Maybe I'm not used to that as european but pushing people into crap just for a bit more money, I wouldn't buy there ever again. Whatever happend to decency, I can't think of any store that can exist here with such a reputation. You don't have to be smart to see the exploitation.
RoyTheViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 RoyTheViking
Member since 2005 • 3574 Posts
If you want to sell old games, go to ebay or something. EB gives you nothing for games. I doubt they would pay $8 for Halo 3.
Kevman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kevman22

Well the only reason I went there for was the Xbox 360 for 200$ off, other than that, I have no reason to go there, it's all over priced.

If you want to sell old games, go to ebay or something. EB gives you nothing for games. I doubt they would pay $8 for Halo 3.RoyTheViking

I put my PS2, and the games, controller etc. on a website called Kijiji, and I acually had a reply for it 2 hours after. I put it on there for 80$.

turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts
EB is a huge ripoff. I hate them.
B05T0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 B05T0N
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
tradegamesnow...gametz...cheapassgamer
You're all welcome.
turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts

tradegamesnow...gametz...cheapassgamer
You're all welcome.B05T0N

thanks for the first 2 . I allready knew about the 3rd.

B05T0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 B05T0N
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="B05T0N"]tradegamesnow...gametz...cheapassgamer
You're all welcome.turgore

thanks for the first 2 . I allready knew about the 3rd.

No problem.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
No i don't remember paying that much for a ps2, would have never gotten it if it was that much.
cocotinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cocotinker
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I refuse to buy anything from eb games unless its under $10 due to one incident. one day a while ago i was in an EB line waiting to be served got to the front of the line and the guy went to walk away from the counter, i asked where are you going? he said its my break ill get the other guy to serve you, i slammed down the game on the counter and told him you walk away from this counter and i will never buy another game from your store ever, he smiled and walked away, and to this day i never bought a game from EB. For the benefit of anyone who still reads this thread i thought I would do a comparison of game prices at the major retailers and 3 online stores, KILLZONE 3 Amazon $49 OZ GAME SHOP $58 EBAY $57 GAME $87 JB HI FI $89 SURPRISE SURPRISE EB GAMES $108
suz437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 suz437
Member since 2005 • 1053 Posts

zombie thread wow

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44568 Posts
I don't see the point in selling my used games to stores like this for only a small fraction of what I paid for them, plus since I keep all mine in good condition I can probably sell them for more on the internet, like through Ebay or Amazon, EB Games and GameStop don't care what condition the game is in when they buy it from you, it can come without a manual or case and any variety of undesirable condition for the disc and they'd still take it to resell, and they won't give you much for it if it's in a like-new condition with all the manual and case in good condition, I can get more for it online but it's time consuming to sell, EB Games is easy to sell your used games and for that ease you won't get much for it, like a pawn shop that'll give you $10 for a gold & diamond ring because they won't ask if you cut it off some woman's finger.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
Member since 2009 • 4084 Posts

Best Buy isn't any better. I went in there a few days ago, and the were selling a new and used copy of fallout new vegas for 40$, keep in mind it was used and new, same price. Game-stop however had it new for 30$ and 25$ used. Maybe they don't have Game-stop in Canada but it's way better then EB.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I refuse to buy anything from eb games unless its under $10 due to one incident. one day a while ago i was in an EB line waiting to be served got to the front of the line and the guy went to walk away from the counter, i asked where are you going? he said its my break ill get the other guy to serve you, i slammed down the game on the counter and told him you walk away from this counter and i will never buy another game from your store ever, he smiled and walked away, and to this day i never bought a game from EB.cocotinker

Maturity is overrated. Acting like a spoiled child will get you much further in life.

superdum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 superdum2
Member since 2009 • 1558 Posts

theres no eb games near me any more there was one in kansas but it went out of bussines i think

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I just realized this thread is years old and was brought back from the dead.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

The PS2 was never $700. :|

rcafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points