Earthquake near Chicago

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slingshot_ylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slingshot_ylo
Member since 2006 • 130 Posts

I read this while making my rounds on the news sites this morning:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/10/illinois.earthquake/index.html?hpt=T2

It's kind of scary to think about the possibilities given the recent events in Haiti, but at the same time, it makes me want to play I Am Alive. If it ever comes out, that is.

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
Luckily just a small one. Bigger quakes can happen just about anywhere but very rarely thankfully. We had a 5.2 here about 2 years ago, although we were quite far from the epicentre, the shaking was still quite noticeable. It tends to happen once every 20 years or so apparently, but I'd hate to thing what a larger one would do to an ill-prepared city (in terms of quakes) like London.
Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
I remember one here a while ago. It was only small but the house shook a bit. There are hardly ever any quakes in the UK.
WINDWAKER1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 WINDWAKER1
Member since 2003 • 3397 Posts
Dude, I totally felt this last night!! It was at 4 in the morning, really weird, that's the second earthquake in 2 years around Chicago.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
I must be a deep sleeper. I didn't feel this one or the one last time and I live about 10-20 minutes away from where it happened. :P
slingshot_ylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 slingshot_ylo
Member since 2006 • 130 Posts

Dude, I totally felt this last night!! It was at 4 in the morning, really weird, that's the second earthquake in 2 years around Chicago.WINDWAKER1

When I hear about events like this it always makes me wonder what's going on underneath my feet. We have sporadic little quakes every few years where I live. You can't feel a majority of them, but every now and then one will shake the house. When I did some research on it, I found out that geologists refer to my area as the East Tennessee Seismic Zone and it's actually a hotspot for faulting and small, frequent slips of the ground. There's not been a whole lot of study on it though. The New Madrid fault zone out west gets most of the attention. I worry about a"Big One" out there activating unknown/undetected faults here. It's scary, but absolutely fascinating.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts
I live in socal, I dont even bat an eyelash for anything below a 5 anymore. You get used to it out here. BTW, google san andreas fault. I'm right on top of it almost.
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Yeah, I want to play I Am Alive too. :P I hope its good.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
Yeah, woke me up... It felt like my wife was kicking her side of the bed really hard. Then I just assumed it was a snow plow (we had like 12 inches of snow yesterday too)