Drugs claim another one: Mac Miller dead at 26

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

http://www.tmz.com/2018/09/07/mac-miller-dead-dies/

He was quickly becoming one of my favorite rappers and his last album Swimming was spectacular.... This one hit me hard. I'm so sick of drugs and their influences on people.... I guess there was just no saving Mac...

R.I.P.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

Yeah he was a very talented young artist. May he RIP.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

Drugs didn't claim him. The idiot overdosed himself. The rappers are not a very bright bunch to begin with.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

@ivangrozny said:

Drugs didn't claim him. The idiot overdosed himself. The rappers are not a very bright bunch to begin with.

Yes true. But drugs are very hard to overcome, or other wise its unintentional. One of my idols Eyedea died from an apparent overdose. It appeared to be sleeping pills, he was taking them so he could get a good night sleep before his next set.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

I don't think I have ever heard a song from him.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JustPlainLucas
@horgen said:

Loading Video...

My current fave from his new album Swimming.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@horgen said:

Haven't either but he's from around my area and I knew someone that went to HS with him..........they weren't impressed. I believe he was a douche. Anyway it's hard to care when someone chooses to live their life with drugs.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@JustPlainLucas: No idea who he is.

But RIP anyways, 26 is way way way too young to go this way..

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

My goodness! He died a day before Wiz's birthday, that has to really hurt him! Definitely should’ve followed Wiz’s lead and just stuck to Weed.

R.I.P Mac Miller :(

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Very sad. Guy was on the upswing.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Haven't either but he's from around my area and I knew someone that went to HS with him..........they weren't impressed. I believe he was a douche. Anyway it's hard to care when someone chooses to live their life with drugs.

Seems like you you wouldn't have cared if he'd died another way.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I don't care about 99.9% of the people on the planet. I just think that it's odd how a "this person died" thread results in so many "don't know him, don't care" replies. Isn't that pretty self-centered?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic

@MrGeezer said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I don't care about 99.9% of the people on the planet. I just think that it's odd how a "this person died" thread results in so many "don't know him, don't care" replies. Isn't that pretty self-centered?

As is the opposite reply. In fact, that's the very reason forums exist. Welcome to the club..........don't be a hypocrite. No matter which way you reply you're injecting yourself into the conversation.

And no.....it's not the same. A drug lifestyle has inherent risks which everyone is warned about. A choice is made..........why should I care about it?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Never heard of him. Shame.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrGeezer

@LJS9502_basic: Don't play stupid with me. You know darn well that it's dickish to go into a thread that was started in order to mourn a person's death, and then proceed to s***-talk about that person. CAN you do it? Sure. It's still a jerk thing to do, and you know it. If you cared, you'd start your own thread about how the guy was a piece of crap.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic

@MrGeezer said:

@LJS9502_basic: Don't play stupid with me. You know darn well that it's dickish to go into a thread that was started in order to mourn a person's death, and then proceed to s***-talk about that person. CAN you do it? Sure. It's still a jerk thing to do, and you know it. If you cared, you'd start your own thread about how the guy was a piece of crap.

Because I don't care if a drug addict od's? I doubt you really care at all either. Famous people don't affect us no matter how much we pretend they do.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

In the words of the Living Legends, "you shouldn't do drugs that are harder than you".

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JustPlainLucas
@LJS9502_basic said:
@MrGeezer said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

As is the opposite reply. In fact, that's the very reason forums exist. Welcome to the club..........don't be a hypocrite. No matter which way you reply you're injecting yourself into the conversation.

And no.....it's not the same. A drug lifestyle has inherent risks which everyone is warned about. A choice is made..........why should I care about it?

You are free to reply in any fashion which you choose, but just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should. You don't know the guy. You don't know anything about him, and it's quite obvious that you don't care for him or the fact that he passed away. So why post then? Why feel compelled to let us know you don't care? We don't need to know that. The omission of your presence is evidence enough that you don't care.

However, you should care about the situation. Drug users (unless those forcibly exposed) make choices to use them, yes. We can't place the blame 100 percent on the substance. But because someone made a bad choice, we're just not supposed to care about them anymore? What if Mac Miller was a personal friend of yours? Or even family? What if they needed help and no one wanted to help them because they made a "bad choice"? This is a discussion that we need to have on a regular basis. How to help people recover from drugs. How to understand what led them to that bad choice. How to prevent future youth from going down that route and what we can do to provide alternative options for people who feel that low that they need to take something they KNOW they shouldn't take.

You are not required to care when posting on forums. However, it would behoove you to at least show tact and respect by simply keeping those kinds of comments to yourself.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic

@JustPlainLucas said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@MrGeezer said:

You are free to reply in any fashion which you choose, but just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should. You don't know the guy. You don't know anything about him, and it's quite obvious that you don't care for him or the fact that he passed away. So why post then? Why feel compelled to let us know you don't care? We don't need to know that. The omission of your presence is evidence enough that you don't care.

However, you should care about the situation. Drug users (unless those forcibly exposed) make choices to use them, yes. We can't place the blame 100 percent on the substance. But because someone made a bad choice, we're just not supposed to care about them anymore? What if Mac Miller was a personal friend of yours? Or even family? What if they needed help and no one wanted to help them because they made a "bad choice"? This is a discussion that we need to have on a regular basis. How to help people recover from drugs. How to understand what led them to that bad choice. How to prevent future youth from going down that route and what we can do to provide alternative options for people who feel that low that they need to take something they KNOW they shouldn't take.

You are not required to care when posting on forums. However, it would behoove you to at least show tact and respect by simply keeping those kinds of comments to yourself.

Ah the self righteous brigade has arrived........boo hoo you are bent out of shape over someone's opinion. Cry elsewhere.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@MrGeezer said:

Ah the self righteous brigade has arrived........boo hoo you are bent out of shape over someone's opinion. Cry elsewhere.

This is quite hilarious. You chose to comment on a thread you admittingly don't care about acting above the person of subject, then decide to call someone else self righteous? Classic. Sure, you're free to be a dick in a thread about someone who is dead, but that's not something to be proud of. I don't know Mac Miller nor do I care all that much about drug overdoses by famous celebrity millionaires, but I'm not about to argue about how or why I don't care to those that may. That's just pathetic and indeed self righteous.

Drug addiction is a tragic thing. I hope the best for his family.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JustPlainLucas
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@MrGeezer said:

What opinion? You have no opinion. You don't care, so why are you here? Telling me to "cry elsewhere" in a death thread? You do realize you come off as quite the dick now, right?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrGeezer

@LJS9502_basic said:

Because I don't care if a drug addict od's? I doubt you really care at all either. Famous people don't affect us no matter how much we pretend they do.

MOST PEOPLE don't affect us, no matter how much we pretend they do. People "care" about the deaths of celebrities that they never knew, because that celebrity actually provided something that those people find valuable. They're contributing something through their work, and the fact that they died young means that we no longer get to benefit from any work they may have otherwise done.

But what about someone like, you or me? Some of the people here on the Gamespot forums "know us", but exactly how much effect do you think that you or I have had on the average Gamespot user? We haven't contributed s*** other than some posts. Posts which, if we're being honest, were mostly pretty worthless. So take a minute and think about this: if YOU were to die and someone posted the news about that here on Gamespot forums, wouldn't it be pretty f***ing tasteless if that thread immediately got bombarded by "who the hell was he" or "why should I care about him" comments?

Yeah, celebrities don't really affect me. The people here also don't really affect me. Yet, if the people here found out that you or I died, it'd be tasteless as hell for other people to immediately start boasting about how they don't care. I wouldn't do that crap if I found out that someone here died. Would you? Like, if someone posted here about ME dying, would you immediately chime in about how nothing I did affected you, and how you don't have any reason to care?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

This is quite hilarious. You chose to comment on a thread you admittingly don't care about acting above the person of subject, then decide to call someone else self righteous? Classic. Sure, you're free to be a dick in a thread about someone who is dead, but that's not something to be proud of. I don't know Mac Miller nor do I care all that much about drug overdoses by famous celebrity millionaires, but I'm not about to argue about how or why I don't care to those that may. That's just pathetic and indeed self righteous.

Drug addiction is a tragic thing. I hope the best for his family.

When did OT get filled such whiny people? I'm not the first and I'm not the last that doesn't care if x individual is gone.

Don't tell me about drug addiction. I was married to one. And it's a choice.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@MrGeezer said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

If it wasn't for his "celebrity" he'd be just another name in the obituary section of the local paper. Someone would not be starting a topic about him on a message board while the crocodile tears flow. If one gains an "attachment" to a celebrity (w/o personally knowing them) just by their trade, wow!

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrGeezer

@Solaryellow said:

If it wasn't for his "celebrity" he'd be just another name in the obituary section of the local paper. Someone would not be starting a topic about him on a message board while the crocodile tears flow. If one gains an "attachment" to a celebrity (w/o personally knowing them) just by their trade, wow!

When you hear about non-celebrities dying, do you make a point of bragging about how you don't care?

If you hear that a coworker died, someone who you didn't know personally and whose only connection to you is that you happened to work at the same company, do you make a point of bragging about how you don't care?

Again, I don't know you, and my only attachment to you are the posts that I've seen you make here. Posts which, if we're being perfectly honest here, are mostly at least as worthless as some musician's music. If someone posted a topic here about how you died, would it therefore be acceptable for people to start bragging about how they don't care about your death?

Sideer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sideer
Member since 2018 • 29 Posts

That is unfortunate, it keeps me wondering if these situations are intentional or just a miscalculated dosage.

People just don't die from drugs as the general public thinks, it has to be a reason, many years of premeditated usage. You just don't overdose.

The problem is the dealer and not testing the dosage, or miscalculation. In worst cases, they can't handle their self. Drugs are the tools, just like anything else that stimulates your brain. It's a mental tool with which you can enter your psyche and bring something out of it to the creativity. One can just speculate in these situations

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

.....Well, to be fair, this thread is more informational about the fact Mack Miller died rather than a mourning thread so it can go either way. And doesn't seem like LJ is really shit talking Mack. Just stating he doesn't know the guy, but heard from associates that he was a douche, isn't really trashing the guy himself. Stating that he doesn't have sympathy for Mack because he chose to OD on drugs doesn't seem out-of-bounds either...

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@tocool340 said:
@MrGeezer said:

.....Well, to be fair, this thread is more informational about the fact Mack Miller died rather than a mourning thread so it can go either way. And doesn't seem like LJ is really shit talking Mack. Just stating he doesn't know the guy, but heard from associates that he was a douche, isn't really trashing the guy himself. Stating that he doesn't have sympathy for Mack because he chose to OD on drugs doesn't seem out-of-bounds either...

Yea I find it hard to have sympathy for those that choose to destroy the lives of others because of their own drug habits. My older brother sold his life to meth and heroin and the only thing I can grasp is how he tore my whole family apart. It sounds like @LJS9502_basic had a similar experience being married to a drug addict. Either you guys don't get how devastating drugs really are or maybe some of you just never had the burden of being close to one to see just how shitty it really is.

Honestly I hope all of you never have to go through having a close one suffer from the destructive nature of drug addiction, and I hope none of you have to go through the absolutely exhausting collateral damage of having one close within your family.

All this scrutiny does not reflect this artist's ability to create music. It's a shame he had to die so young, but at the same time he never helped himself.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrGeezer

@tocool340 said:

"He was quickly becoming one of my favorite rappers and his last album Swimming was spectacular.... This one hit me hard."

When someone tells you that a person's death hit them hard, is your standard response along the lines of "pfft, I didn't even know him. And besides, one guy told me that he wasn't impressed with the dude, so I'm sure he must have been a douche."

Is that how you react when someone tells you that they've been hit hard by another person's death?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jaydan
@MrGeezer said:
@tocool340 said:

"He was quickly becoming one of my favorite rappers and his last album Swimming was spectacular.... This one hit me hard."

When someone tells you that a person's death hit them hard, is your standard response along the lines of "pfft, I didn't even know him. And besides, one guy told me that he wasn't impressed with the dude, so I'm sure he must have been a douche."

Is that how you react when someone tells you that they've been hit hard by another person's death?

Nowhere in the terms of use for Gamespot forums state that one has no right to say they did not know a person that a RIP thread is dedicated to. Every single RIP thread I've seen has its share of "I dunno that guy" posts. I find it a greater fallacy which you among others chose to escalate the problem by responding back to the user which you guys could have simply ignored so others could post the more palpable posts you are looking for. You are the guys that fished out the issues in this thread and now it's tainted so bad I think the mourning effect has been washed away over the arguments you guys fueled in the first place.

You guys are equally if not more responsible for why this thread went downhill so fast.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrGeezer

@jaydan said:

Nowhere in the terms of use for Gamespot forums state that one has no right to say they did not know a person that a RIP thread is dedicated to. Every single RIP thread I've seen has its share of "I dunno that guy" posts. I find it a greater fallacy which you among others chose to escalate the problem by responding back to the user which you guys could have simply ignored so others could post the more palpable posts you are looking for. You are the guys that fished out the issues in this thread and now it's tainted so bad I think the mourning effect has been washed away over the arguments you guys fueled in the first place.

You guys are equally if not more responsible for why this thread went downhill so fast.

Screw the terms of use. No one said they're not allowed to brag about how they don't care. We're not talking terms of use, we're talking about basic human decency. Yes, this was a mourning thread, and it immediately got bombarded by people s***ing all over it by using it as an excuse to brag about how they don't know the guy and don't care about him. As far as calling those people out for being jerks, one of the guys doing that is the guy who started the freaking thread. He's the actual guy who was first telling us about how he was hit hard by Miller's death, don't you dare try to act as if he doesn't get to call people out for crapping on his thread.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jaydan
@MrGeezer said:
@jaydan said:

Screw the terms of use. No one said they're not allowed to brag about how they don't care. We're not talking terms of use, we're talking about basic human decency. Yes, this was a mourning thread, and it immediately got bombarded by people s***ing all over it by using it as an excuse to brag about how they don't know the guy and don't care about him. As far as calling those people out for being jerks, one of the guys doing that is the guy who started the freaking thread. He's the actual guy who was first telling us about how he was hit hard by Miller's death, don't you dare try to act as if he doesn't get to call people out for crapping on his thread.

And if @LJS9502_basic truly is a jerk, then he will continue to be a jerk, regardless of some random people on the internet calling him out in a mourning thread. You guys escalated the problem by turning this thread into an argumentative piece. The last RIP thread I personally made was for Anthony Bourdain. Quite a few people made similar posts stating they didn't know the guy and didn't care. The thread did not go downhill because those people were simply ignored and overpowered by the poster's that had something to say relevant to how Bourdain affected their own lives.

@LJS9502_basic was NOT bragging. He was simply being insensitive over your emotions. I'm not here defending him but I am here telling you YOU did not help the situation.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/51218f84e4b08a7615930483/t/514cd1c4e4b023ca28fa0f83/1363988934120/barbrady.jpeg.