Drinking and your body.

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

munkey102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 munkey102
Member since 2005 • 2873 Posts

Healthy 21 year old here, just turned 21 about a month ago and thinking about drinking. I've never drank or smoked before, I'm also completely healthly, exercise regularly, and in good shape. I won't drink often, I don't go to clubs, bars, etc. I may drink 1-2 beers a week, 3 at most. I've heard about the negative effects of drinking, but also the positive. Do you think drinking as little as I will, will have a negative impact on my body?

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

Healthy 21 year old here, just turned 21 about a month ago and thinking about drinking. I've never drank or smoked before, I'm also completely healthly, exercise regularly, and in good shape. I won't drink often, I don't go to clubs, bars, etc. I may drink 1-2 beers a week, 3 at most. I've heard about the negative effects of drinking, but also the positive. Do you think drinking as little as I will, will have a negative impact on my body?

munkey102
3 beers a week? Not a chance in hell
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

You will die instantly.

I'm a doctor, I know these things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I've been binge drinking vodka since I was 15 and I'm in good health. although they say the damage is long term so idk

GrudHeap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 GrudHeap
Member since 2011 • 138 Posts

I messed around with hard liquor briefly when I turned 21, being buzzed feels pretty great -- all the courage but none of the slurred speech. Beer didn't cut it for me. The trick is to drink lots of water and make sure you eat. The better hydrated you are, the less likely you are to get a bad hangover. In fact the only time I felt really sick in the morning was when I mixed drink with pills. Drinking shouldn't ruin your body if you are physically fit and do cardio. Just watch the stomach.

munkey102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 munkey102
Member since 2005 • 2873 Posts

I doubt I'll ever drink enough to get a hangover. Like I said, I'll only drink 3 a week at the most, and never more than one a day. Since I've never drank before I have no idea what to expect in terms of flavor, effects, etc. Anyone want to recommend me a brand of beer to go for?

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

I doubt I'll ever drink enough to get a hangover. Like I said, I'll only drink 3 a week at the most, and never more than one a day. Since I've never drank before I have no idea what to expect in terms of flavor, effects, etc. Anyone want to recommend me a brand of beer to go for?

munkey102

Beer sucks.

Edit: It is my belief that beer sucks, don't want anyone thinking Im trolling.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="munkey102"]

DigitalExile

Beer sucks.

Lies and slander. Hahn Super Dry, low carb and delicious
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chaoscougar1

I messed around with hard liquor briefly when I turned 21, being buzzed feels pretty great -- all the courage but none of the slurred speech. Beer didn't cut it for me. The trick is to drink lots of water and make sure you eat. The better hydrated you are, the less likely you are to get a bad hangover. In fact the only time I felt really sick in the morning was when I mixed drink with pills. Drinking shouldn't ruin your body if you are physically fit and do cardio. Just watch the stomach.

GrudHeap
First time I had it last night, vodka and Powerade. More places should do it, tastes awesome and helps keep you hydrated and replace lost electrolytes which = no hangover
Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts

if you dont already have the habbit of drinking why start? I have never drank (did once on accident) and I dont see the reason to ever start. it can turn into a bad habbit, and why spend money on something that might screw you up down the road?

Chevolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chevolutionary
Member since 2004 • 23293 Posts
If you're only going to drink one beer a day what exactly is the point in drinking? People drink beer to get drunk, not because they love the taste.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chaoscougar1

If you're only going to drink one beer a day what exactly is the point in drinking? People drink beer to get drunk, not because they love the taste.Chevolutionary
XD Jokes are funny

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
If you're only going to drink one beer a day what exactly is the point in drinking? People drink beer to get drunk, not because they love the taste.Chevolutionary
...though I do drink to get drunk sometimes (okay, probably once a week at least). I also drink a beer every night with dinner b/c I actually like the taste. I drink a light beer (Amstel Light) that goes good with most meals and is not heavy.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chaoscougar1

if you dont already have the habbit of drinking why start? I have never drank (did once on accident) and I dont see the reason to ever start. it can turn into a bad habbit, and why spend money on something that might screw you up down the road?

theshadowhunter
Because it's fun to have a drink with friends?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

theshadowhunter

Because it's fun?

Chevolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chevolutionary
Member since 2004 • 23293 Posts
[QUOTE="Chevolutionary"]If you're only going to drink one beer a day what exactly is the point in drinking? People drink beer to get drunk, not because they love the taste.rawsavon
...though I do drink to get drunk sometimes (okay, probably once a week at least). I also drink a beer every night with dinner b/c I actually like the taste. I drink a light beer (Amstel Light) that goes good with most meals and is not heavy.

I know it's possible, with great willpower and years of training, to just have one beer. And yes, there are plenty of nice beers, but its a flavour people tend to have to get used to before they can start enjoying it. AND YOU WONT GET USED TO IT ON THREE BEERS A WEEK SON.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#19 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
It will crush yah soul :( If you really have to drink, do it in moderation. Just don't lose yourself in it. You might be the court jester one night but dreams have a nasty way of going bad when you're not looking kid
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Chevolutionary"]If you're only going to drink one beer a day what exactly is the point in drinking? People drink beer to get drunk, not because they love the taste.Chevolutionary

I know it's possible, with great willpower and years of training, to just have one beer. And yes, there are plenty of nice beers, but its a flavour people tend to have to get used to before they can start enjoying it. AND YOU WONT GET USED TO IT ON THREE BEERS A WEEK SON.

...hmmm... That makes me wonder if I would have hated the beer I like now if I had been able to drink it when I started (drank the usual cheap college beer crap). I can tolerate that cheap beer/will drink it...but I wouldn't say that I love it by any means. It (cheap beer) was an acquired taste (like you say). But I really enjoy the beer I drink now. Though maybe it is just like coffee. -a few people like from the start -an acquired taste for most -some never like it
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Everyone I know binge drinks. So long as you don't become an alcoholic and take it easy when you become 28+ then you should be fine. Beer is for casual drinkers :P
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rawsavon
and take it easy when you become 28+ Iantheone
:(
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chaoscougar1
Everyone I know binge drinks. So long as you don't become an alcoholic and take it easy when you become 28+ then you should be fine. Beer is for casual drinkers :PIantheone
Beer is for casual drinkers? Fo' real?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="Iantheone"]Everyone I know binge drinks. So long as you don't become an alcoholic and take it easy when you become 28+ then you should be fine. Beer is for casual drinkers :Pchaoscougar1

If I'm trying to get drunk then I drink Vodka, I only ever have beer along side with a meal.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="Iantheone"]Everyone I know binge drinks. So long as you don't become an alcoholic and take it easy when you become 28+ then you should be fine. Beer is for casual drinkers :Ptoast_burner

If I'm trying to get drunk then I drink Vodka, I only ever have beer along side with a meal.

For me an average night is a 700ml bottle of Schnapps. Easy to drink, tastes good, and guaranteed to make you feel good by the end of it. Beer is too low percentage to really get drunk with.
Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

I started drinking when I was 15 and have never had a hangover to this day, the joys of having an awesome metabolism.

play_thegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 play_thegame
Member since 2008 • 3630 Posts

Ive been drinking in some form or another since 14/15. the only thing i know is that over time alcohol will make your bones weaker, it affects muscle growth, and you pile on the calories when you drink it.

factor in the fact you may enjoy smoking particular substances with it you will usually find yourself chowing down on high calorie foods at weird times of the night that will screw your metabolism. if your in decent condition and know HOW to manage your calorie intake then i say go for it, if not you might find yourself developing a beer belly.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
A little alcohol a day benefits your cholesterol level.
tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts

munkey102
What's the point of drinking if you don't get drunk? I had 4 beers last night, got a little bit merry and I don't have a hangover. You don't have to binge drink to feel the effects of alcohol. Are you American? If so, don't drink beer, it tastes like weasel water over there :?
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
[QUOTE="tofu-lion91"] Are you American? If so, don't drink beer, it tastes like weasel water over there :?

I had soem Miller "draft" last night it it wasn't that bad, i think they carbonated it but apart from that it's on par with European beers. Also Blue Moon is good.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I think it'll have the affect of making you want to drink more, which will have the affect of making you want to make friends, which will have the effect of making you want to go to bars, which will have the effect of you drinking more. So there.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Are you American? If so, don't drink beer, it tastes like weasel water over there :?tofu-lion91

The bar I go to regularly has nearly 40 beers on tap and hundreds in bottle. They're not all mass-market American pilsner.

GrudHeap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GrudHeap
Member since 2011 • 138 Posts

All the beer I've had tastes like stale bread water, and I don't just drink budweiser types either. Guess it grows on some people.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] Beer is for casual drinkers? Fo' real?Iantheone

For me an average night is a 700ml bottle of Schnapps. Easy to drink, tastes good, and guaranteed to make you feel good by the end of it. Beer is too low percentage to really get drunk with.

Beer is cheap and delicious, plus I don't think you can purchase a 700ml bottle of Schnapps at a bar...

Also, that last bit is absolute rubbish, I worked at an RSL and most of the regulars got pretty smashed on beer. A standard drink is a standard drink, you have enough, you will be drunk

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

naw dude you're fine.

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts

munkey102

Three beers a week won't just do absolutely nothing negatively to you healthwise, it will do nothing for you positively and will not really make it worth acquiring a taste for beer.

You're 21 years old and never done a thing wrong in your life. You're scared of a few beers. You're obviously a good kid. I'm sure you won't become an alcoholic if you have a bit of fun and get drunk every now and then.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

1-2 beers a week's ok if you're exercising, it's the regular binges that are truly bad for your health and your wallet.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44678 Posts
I don't like drinking, never really have, went through a phase though where I did for a bit, more for socializing though. It's something I'll do once in a blue moon though, like friends birthdays and stuff. It's expensive too, and all my friends that drink all the time have gained quite a bit of weight from it, so you've that to avoid.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Light DAILY drinking is fine and even good for you. Don't worry about it. Unless you're drinking a case every day, you'll be fine.

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts
no quit worrying about having perfect health enjoy things in moderation
Avatar image for LieutenantFeist
LieutenantFeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LieutenantFeist
Member since 2008 • 1529 Posts

3 beers a week, thats not unhealthy at all.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

[QUOTE="munkey102"]

tofu-lion91

What's the point of drinking if you don't get drunk?...

I'm sorry but I'm so sick of hearing this question on this forum. The point of drinking is to relax and take the edge off and to enjoy what you're drinking. Not to get drunk.

Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Spitfirer
Member since 2007 • 2088 Posts
You'll be fine with a beer everyday and even better with a glass of wine. Not only does wine compliment a good meal, it also contains antioxidants which are good for your heart.
Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Arthur96
Member since 2011 • 950 Posts

First time I see someone 'getting ready' to drink beer. :P

It's a drink with barely any alcohol.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts

I don't see the point in drinking except for social events or my woman leaving me for another man only to find out that man was my best friend who was also my father.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#46 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
drink is a waste of your money. Do what I do and spend that on your car :P
amphitheater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 amphitheater
Member since 2011 • 128 Posts
Just don't drink and drive. That's the most negative of drinking and then driving.
The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts
lol at this forum. In this thread it's all about everything is great in moderation, but in the fast food threads if you even so much as touch it it's instant coronary heart disease. That's the way it seems anyway. Just have fun, drinking won't hurt you unless you do something stupid.
Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Arthur96
Member since 2011 • 950 Posts

lol at this forum. In this thread it's all about everything is great in moderation, but in the fast food threads if you even so much as touch it it's instant coronary heart disease. That's the way it seems anyway. Just have fun, drinking won't hurt you unless you do something stupid.The_Zoid

Yeah like drinking an entire bottle of Vodka in a minute. Didn't do me too much good.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Personally I don't consume any alcohol, the only time I'll have some if it's added to a dinner plate. Example. Ribs marinated in beer