Does this sound like a Cult ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#1 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

This preschool my son goes to theres a group of mothers who only socialize with people in their specific cult. While waiting for the kids to come out there is (at least I notice ) two groups of peope who converse. The normal people who all chat and make small talk and then these four who go off to the side and speak only with their cult members. If none are present they stand there silently. They also apparently don't want their kids socializing with non cult members. Unfortunately one of the cult members organizes certain functions and always puts her cult member friends on the calendar before anyone else has access to it which has angered many of the normal parents.

I've had other dealings with this cult in the workplace. These people are extremely strange, prone to listening to vile country music, and the inability to socialize with normal people outside of their own cult.

By the way did I mention they were Mennonites ?

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

I don't know if I would consider Mennonites a cult, wierd no doubt, but they aren't insane.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Sounds fishy.
Oyashiro1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Oyashiro1000
Member since 2009 • 7403 Posts
Who cares? I don't really see why you would be bothered.
Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Skarwolf

Well it bothers me that the Roman Catholics didn't wipe them out in the medieval era so that I wouldn't have to deal with them now.

Like at work one time I brought my radio because these mennonite contractors listening to country music were giving me a fkn headache. So I turned it to a normal radio station that played your avg rock music, nothing hardcore stuff you'd hear on your local radio station. I'm up in the rafters doing ductwork when my radio goes off. I climb down notice its unplugged. Ok, its a rechargeable dewalt radio so I turn battery on. Climb back up. After a few minutes the radios off. I climb down and shout at the top of my lungs "DON'T FKN TOUCH MY RADIO."

So I took the radio up into the rafters with me hooked my phone up with all my mp3's and put on Opeth Karma & Tool Opiate on full volume. Within a few minutes I see this guy come wandering in looking around for my radio and he looks up. So I climb down and confront him and ask why should I have to listen to their music if they don't wanna listen to mine. He replies "We're christian we don't stand for that music."

I started laughing at the guy. Told him I was christian too. He replied "I'm MENNONITE!" Like it was announcing he was super man. I said "oh that explains it." Went back up to the rafters and switched my phone to deathmetal and kept it cranked all day.

bbq_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 bbq_fan
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Don't know anything about mennonites (sp?). Are their females hot ?
Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Skarwolf

Whats to know other then being a cult ? They're females all have these blank looks on their faces and lack the ability to talk about anything other then church.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
Member since 2009 • 4084 Posts

Well it bothers me that the Roman Catholics didn't wipe them out in the medieval era so that I wouldn't have to deal with them now.

Like at work one time I brought my radio because these mennonite contractors listening to country music were giving me a fkn headache. So I turned it to a normal radio station that played your avg rock music, nothing hardcore stuff you'd hear on your local radio station. I'm up in the rafters doing ductwork when my radio goes off. I climb down notice its unplugged. Ok, its a rechargeable dewalt radio so I turn battery on. Climb back up. After a few minutes the radios off. I climb down and shout at the top of my lungs "DON'T FKN TOUCH MY RADIO."

So I took the radio up into the rafters with me hooked my phone up with all my mp3's and put on Opeth Karma & Tool Opiate on full volume. Within a few minutes I see this guy come wandering in looking around for my radio and he looks up. So I climb down and confront him and ask why should I have to listen to their music if they don't wanna listen to mine. He replies "We're christian we don't stand for that music."

I started laughing at the guy. Told him I was christian too. He replied "I'm MENNONITE!" Like it was announcing he was super man. I said "oh that explains it." Went back up to the rafters and switched my phone to deathmetal and kept it cranked all day.

Skarwolf

The nerve. But really I don't think their a cult, I mean they drive mini vans and shop at wal-mart for pity's sake.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6960 Posts

Whats to know other then being a cult ? They're females all have these blank looks on their faces and lack the ability to talk about anything other then church.

Skarwolf

All religions are cults to some degree or another.

sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

Skarwolf

Maybe they just really love church,I mean who wouldn't:roll: ?

TwoFace-BS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TwoFace-BS
Member since 2011 • 9531 Posts

This preschool my son goes to theres a group of mothers who only socialize with people in their specific cult. While waiting for the kids to come out there is (at least I notice ) two groups of peope who converse. The normal people who all chat and make small talk and then these four who go off to the side and speak only with their cult members. If none are present they stand there silently. They also apparently don't want their kids socializing with non cult members. Unfortunately one of the cult members organizes certain functions and always puts her cult member friends on the calendar before anyone else has access to it which has angered many of the normal parents.

I've had other dealings with this cult in the workplace. These people are extremely strange, prone to listening to vile country music, and the inability to socialize with normal people outside of their own cult.

Skarwolf
The topic title is "does this sound like a cult" and yet you already refer to them as a cult 6 times Do just want people here to agree with you or something?
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

People have the tendency to associate with those who are similar to themselves. How is that evidence of a cult?

Well it bothers me that the Roman Catholics didn't wipe them out in the medieval era so that I wouldn't have to deal with them now.Skarwolf

Mennonites are a form of Anabaptists and thus did not exist prior to the 16th Century. How can you wipe out a group of people who do not yet exist?

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
[QUOTE="Skarwolf"]

TwoFace-BS
The topic title is "does this sound like a cult" and yet you already refer to them as a cult 6 times Do just want people here to agree with you or something?

omg he just didn't know what word to use. Must we criticize everything these days ?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

[QUOTE="Skarwolf"]

SUD123456

No...and TC so what if they talk together. Most people do talk with those they know when present to the exclusion of those they don't.
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts

People have the tendency to associate with those who are similar to themselves. How is that evidence of a cult? [QUOTE="Skarwolf"]

Well it bothers me that the Roman Catholics didn't wipe them out in the medieval era so that I wouldn't have to deal with them now.mindstorm

Mennonites are a form of Anabaptists and thus did not exist prior to the 16th Century. How can you wipe out a group of people who do not yet exist?

Flamethrower.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
[QUOTE="mindstorm"]

People have the tendency to associate with those who are similar to themselves. How is that evidence of a cult? [QUOTE="Skarwolf"]

Well it bothers me that the Roman Catholics didn't wipe them out in the medieval era so that I wouldn't have to deal with them now.cheese_game619

Flamethrower.

Better have some powerful flamethrowers........and a time machine.:P
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I always think of cults as trying to isolate their members and going to great lengths to discourage them from socializing with people who aren't in their cult. I don't think the Mennonites qualify - sounds like those people are just friends with each other and so they hang out together.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It doesn't sound like a cult. They just sound like a tight clique....I've seen groups like that before from mennonites to jocks to av club peeps to LARPers. They just have their own thing they got going on. No biggie.

It does sound sound like douchbaggery in that second story though...at least in the Radio Story where that jackass was turning off your radio.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
It even bothered me that many self-proclaimed athiest and want to tell the world that they are athiest,,, and claimed that it's their so-called "religion"....
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SUD123456

[QUOTE="SUD123456"]

[QUOTE="Skarwolf"]

LJS9502_basic

No...and TC so what if they talk together. Most people do talk with those they know when present to the exclusion of those they don't.

Umm...yes. By definition. And by etymology of the word. But we don't like that word so much anymore, so we avoid it when discussing the mainstream; however, it is the same and comes from the same root. If you worship someone or thing and you have rites and ceremonies then you are a cult.

Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fundai
Member since 2010 • 6120 Posts
I think you may be over thinking/reacting about this tc.
[QUOTE="Skarwolf"]Well it bothers me that the Roman Catholics didn't wipe them out in the medieval era so that I wouldn't have to deal with them now.mindstorm

Beat me too it :P
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mindstorm

Umm...yes. By definition. And by etymology of the word. But we don't like that word so much anymore, so we avoid it when discussing the mainstream; however, it is the same and comes from the same root. If you worship someone or thing and you have rites and ceremonies then you are a cult.

SUD123456

Mennonites are no more ritualistic, ceremonial, and, if you insist, cultic than I am. They more intentionally seek a simpler life than myself, are pacifists, do not take oaths, and have a few more minor differences but other than that there is extremely little different than me and a Mennonite.

As such, the only rituals we actually partake in would be baptism and the Lord's supper. None of us put on robes and walk in circles chanting, none of us sacrifice animals on alters, and none of us have alters we bow down to. We simply seek to live life for the sake of God's glory.

TwoFace-BS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TwoFace-BS
Member since 2011 • 9531 Posts
[QUOTE="TwoFace-BS"][QUOTE="Skarwolf"]

dkdk999

omg he just didn't know what word to use. Must we criticize everything these days ?

I do
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts

[QUOTE="SUD123456"]Umm...yes. By definition. And by etymology of the word. But we don't like that word so much anymore, so we avoid it when discussing the mainstream; however, it is the same and comes from the same root. If you worship someone or thing and you have rites and ceremonies then you are a cult.

mindstorm

Mennonites are no more ritualistic, ceremonial, and, if you insist, cultic than I am. They more intentionally seek a simpler life than myself, are pacifists, do not take oaths, and have a few more minor differences but other than that there is extremely little different than me and a Mennonite.

As such, the only rituals we actually partake in would be baptism and the Lord's supper. None of us put on robes and walk in circles chanting, none of us sacrifice animals on alters, and none of us have alters we bow down to. We simply seek to live life for the sake of God's glory.

That isn't really much of an argument seeing as how the majority of this board are Atheists, so they think you're just about as crazy as these people anyway.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mindstorm
[QUOTE="mindstorm"]

[QUOTE="SUD123456"]Umm...yes. By definition. And by etymology of the word. But we don't like that word so much anymore, so we avoid it when discussing the mainstream; however, it is the same and comes from the same root. If you worship someone or thing and you have rites and ceremonies then you are a cult.

cheese_game619

That isn't really much of an argument seeing as how the majority of this board are Atheists, so they think you're just about as crazy as these people anyway.

While the point you make is true, there just seems to be certain misconceptions regarding Mennonites and similar Anabaptists that cause people to think them to be more abnormal than they actually are. It's one thing to think all religious people are idiotic (as is often the case on these forums) but it is another thing to ascribe false attributes to a group of people. I'd love to defeat the first conception but if I only succeed in the later then there is a sense of succeeding. One of the major aspects of apologetics (defending the faith) is not merely arguing for its truth but defeating false misconceptions of that truth.
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SUD123456

mindstorm

I never said they were. You are equally cultish. My first post was that all religions are cults, more or less. So, I don't particularly distinguish any religion on that basis. I really don't care if people are religious or not, and what cult or sect they belong to or not. I only care about beliefs to the extent that they directly result in actions and outcomes. Hence, cult is not a dirty word to me.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i don't know if it is a cult or not but i do know my amish friends condemn the luxurious hedonistic lifestyle they have and tell me they are all going straight to hell.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

[QUOTE="cheese_game619"][QUOTE="mindstorm"] Mennonites are no more ritualistic, ceremonial, and, if you insist, cultic than I am. They more intentionally seek a simpler life than myself, are pacifists, do not take oaths, and have a few more minor differences but other than that there is extremely little different than me and a Mennonite.

mindstorm

While the point you make is true, there just seems to be certain misconceptions regarding Mennonites and similar Anabaptists that cause people to think them to be more abnormal than they actually are. It's one thing to think all religious people are idiotic (as is often the case on these forums) but it is another thing to ascribe false attributes to a group of people. I'd love to defeat the first conception but if I only succeed in the later then there is a sense of succeeding. One of the major aspects of apologetics (defending the faith) is not merely arguing for its truth but defeating false misconceptions of that truth.

I think it depends on your definition of "normal"; don't you? I'd regard devoting your life to convert others to your way of thinking, without particularly exploring other ways of thinking yourself, is rather strange and abnormal.

One of the major aspects of apologetics (as the name implies) is the defensive - not objective - nature of the "trade", that would tend to create more misconceptions that it would defeat.