Does free will contradict God?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 unholymight
Member since 2007 • 3378 Posts

Well, here's how I saw it.

If God is all-knowing, he knows whether any person is going to end up in heaven or hell. Then, wouldn't this person not have free will because nothing he can do will change that result since God is perfect and never wrong?

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Define your terms.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
I posted a thread very similar to this not very long ago. >_> Essentially, yes, omniscience implies that the future is set (i.e. predetermination), which contradicts the concept of free will.
The_Versatile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Versatile
Member since 2009 • 820 Posts

If God is all-knowing, he knows whether any person is going to end up in heaven or hell. Then, wouldn't this person not have free will because nothing he can do will change that result since God is perfect and never wrong?

unholymight

Well, technically, God knowing what you're going to do doesn't mean he's controlling it. He would just know what you're going to do before you do it, and do nothing to stop you.

What really makes free will a joke, has nothing to do with God (especially since God isn't real). It's the fact that every action is a reaction to the one before it, going all the way back to the first action, thus all life is predetermined.

And the thing that makes God a fantasy has nothing to do with the flawed concept of free will. I don't know why people always blur these lines.

EDIT - Why can't this glitchy website make paragraphs in quick quote 50% of the time? I'm sick of editing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
I personally don't think so, even if he knows our choices, that's exactly what they are. OUR choices.
unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 unholymight
[QUOTE="The_Versatile"][QUOTE="unholymight"]

Well, technically, God knowing what you're going to do doesn't mean he's controlling it. He would just know what you're going to do before you do it, and do nothing to stop you. What really makes free will a joke, has nothing to do with God (especially since God isn't real). It's the fact that every action is a reaction to the one before it, going all the way back to the first action, thus all life is predetermined. And the thing that makes God a fantasy has nothing to do with the flawed concept of free will. I don't know why people always blur these lines.

Actually, it would mean that he's controlling it. If God knows at this moment that you're going to each lunch at McDonalds tomorrow, then you will have no choice but to eat at McDonalds tomorrow. Since if you do anything else other than exactly what He predicted, you would be proving him wrong, which is technically impossible.
unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 unholymight
I personally don't think so, even if he knows our choices, that's exactly what they are. OUR choices. 123625
The thing is that they're not choices anymore because you have no other option to choose from anymore.
smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 smithster118
Member since 2008 • 3910 Posts

God knows what you are going to do, yes. But he does not cause you to do it. He simply observes your actions. His prior knowledge does not cause you take that action.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
I personally don't think so, even if he knows our choices, that's exactly what they are. OUR choices. 123625
Then he knows who will go to hell before they are born

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 123625
[QUOTE="123625"]I personally don't think so, even if he knows our choices, that's exactly what they are. OUR choices. unholymight
The thing is that they're not choices anymore because you have no other option to choose from anymore.

Um, but who made the choice? God or me? Whether or not our choices are made in advance it doesn't change that they were still ours, we chose them.
unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 unholymight

God knows what you are going to do, yes. But he does not cause you to do it. He simply observes your actions. His prior knowledge does notcauseyou take that action.

smithster118
It would, becaues if you don't take that action, you'd be proving him wrong, referencing the all-knowing quality and the always-correct quality.
The_Versatile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Versatile
Actually, it would mean that he's controlling it. If God knows at this moment that you're going to each lunch at McDonalds tomorrow, then you will have no choice but to eat at McDonalds tomorrow. Since if you do anything else other than exactly what He predicted, you would be proving him wrong, which is technically impossible.unholymight
The reason you have no choice, is because it's all been predetermined, not because God knows you're going to do it. :roll:
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
If God existed, then everything would be part of his plan. In that sense, we wouldn't have free will, since he's already decided for us.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 123625
Then he knows who will go to hell before they are bornlonewolf604
If you beleive in that sort of thing... regardless I still beleive we still have free-will.
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

Under the Christian definition of free will, I believe we do not have it. God may let you choose to worship him or not, but since you go to hell if you do not worship him, that's not free will. That's a test to see if you will worship.

unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 unholymight
[QUOTE="unholymight"][QUOTE="123625"]I personally don't think so, even if he knows our choices, that's exactly what they are. OUR choices. 123625

Um, but who made the choice? God or me? Whether or not our choices are made in advance it doesn't change that they were still ours, we chose them.

But it's no longer a choice. Say, for example, God knew before your birth that you were going to end up in heaven. Then, after birth, it would be impossible to make choices that are able to change that result.
The_Versatile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Versatile
[QUOTE="lonewolf604"]Then he knows who will go to hell before they are born123625
If you beleive in that sort of thing... regardless I still beleive we still have free-will.

We don't have free will. Everything is predetermined. Humans tend to not realize this because they don't have the ability to see beyond the current moment. Don't be upset though. It was predetermined that you would post what you did. And it was predetermined that I would respond this way. But if you do get mad, it's ok, because that would be predetermined too. :)
unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 unholymight
[QUOTE="unholymight"]Actually, it would mean that he's controlling it. If God knows at this moment that you're going to each lunch at McDonalds tomorrow, then you will have no choice but to eat at McDonalds tomorrow. Since if you do anything else other than exactly what He predicted, you would be proving him wrong, which is technically impossible.The_Versatile
The reason you have no choice, is because it's all been predetermined, not because God knows you're going to do it. :roll:

They're the same thing in this case.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 123625
But it's no longer a choice. Say, for example, God knew before your birth that you were going to end up in heaven. Then, after birth, it would be impossible to make choices that are able to change that result.unholymight
The thing is, you made the first choice in the first place. Besides I don't accept calvanism...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 123625
[QUOTE="123625"][QUOTE="lonewolf604"]Then he knows who will go to hell before they are bornThe_Versatile

We don't have free will. Everything is predetermined. Humans tend to not realize this because they don't have the ability to see beyond the current moment. Don't be upset though. It was predetermined that you would post what you did. And it was predetermined that I would respond this way. But if you do get mad, it's ok, because that would be predetermined too. :)

Pre-determined based on t he choices I made.
unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 unholymight
[QUOTE="unholymight"] But it's no longer a choice. Say, for example, God knew before your birth that you were going to end up in heaven. Then, after birth, it would be impossible to make choices that are able to change that result.123625
The thing is, you made the first choice in the first place. Besides I don't accept calvanism...

Like I stated a few times earlier, it's not a choice. It's only a choice if you had the freedom of deciding which option to take. Someone else made the decision for you, and you would only be following it.
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Versatile"][QUOTE="123625"] If you beleive in that sort of thing... regardless I still beleive we still have free-will.123625

But your choices would be still pre-deteremined.
The_Versatile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 The_Versatile
[QUOTE="The_Versatile"][QUOTE="unholymight"]Actually, it would mean that he's controlling it. If God knows at this moment that you're going to each lunch at McDonalds tomorrow, then you will have no choice but to eat at McDonalds tomorrow. Since if you do anything else other than exactly what He predicted, you would be proving him wrong, which is technically impossible.unholymight

Knowledge is not control. Sorry, you lost your own thread. Ha ha...
ImmoDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ImmoDuck
Member since 2007 • 231 Posts

[QUOTE="123625"][QUOTE="lonewolf604"]Then he knows who will go to hell before they are bornThe_Versatile

Then, if everything is predetermined, it could be argued that therefore everything has a purpose, I think.

unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 unholymight
[QUOTE="The_Versatile"][QUOTE="123625"] If you beleive in that sort of thing... regardless I still beleive we still have free-will.123625

But everything can be pre-determined before your birth (since God is always all-knowing), so they wouldn't need to be based on your choices.
unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 unholymight
[QUOTE="unholymight"][QUOTE="The_Versatile"] The reason you have no choice, is because it's all been predetermined, not because God knows you're going to do it. :roll:The_Versatile

I'm not sure if you understand my argument.
The_Versatile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Versatile
It's only a choice if you had the freedom of deciding which option to take. Someone else made the decision for you, and you would only be following it.unholymight
Like I just said, God knowing what you're going to do, does not equate to him making the decision for you. All-seeing knowledge of what will happen, does not mean you have control of the events. Just put yourself in those shoes... let's say you suddenly gain the ability to see all things before they happen. For example, you see that in 2010, there will be a great war between China and Russia where 100,000 people die. Just because you can see it happening ahead of time, doesn't mean you caused it, and it doesn't mean you can stop it from happening. God isn't real anyway, and no one makes choices, we only react to stimuli, which were sent our way as a reaction from the stimuli preceding that.
The_Versatile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The_Versatile

[QUOTE="The_Versatile"][QUOTE="123625"] If you beleive in that sort of thing... regardless I still beleive we still have free-will.ImmoDuck

Then, if everything is predetermined, it could be argued that therefore everything has a purpose, I think.

Not necessarily. It could be that life has no greater purpose other than just existing for the sake of existence, in order to balance out non-existence. Get it? :)
The_Versatile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Versatile
[QUOTE="The_Versatile"][QUOTE="unholymight"] They're the same thing in this case.unholymight

I'm not sure if you understand my argument.

No, I understand that you don't understand that God's existence, and the irrationality behind the concept of free will have no direct relation. You also don't understand that control over events, and the ability to see them ahead of time, is also not the same thing. You really don't have an argument, at least not in a logical playing field. If you're stripping this conversation from reality, and making your own rules, then sure you could win any argument you wish.
unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 unholymight
[QUOTE="unholymight"] It's only a choice if you had the freedom of deciding which option to take. Someone else made the decision for you, and you would only be following it.The_Versatile
Like I just said, God knowing what you're going to do, does not equate to him making the decision for you. All-seeing knowledge of what will happen, does not mean you have control of the events. Just put yourself in those shoes... let's say you suddenly gain the ability to see all things before they happen. For example, you see that in 2010, there will be a great war between China and Russia where 100,000 people die. Just because you can see it happening ahead of time, doesn't mean you caused it, and it doesn't mean you can stop it from happening. God isn't real anyway, and no one makes choices, we only react to stimuli, which were sent our way as a reaction from the stimuli preceding that.

God created the world, so technically he would be the cause for everything. I'm an atheist, just to clear any confusion. God also is able to predict your choices before you are born, and since he is also the ultimate cause for your being, he both made the decisions and compelled you to go by them.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Does free will actually exist (under a few assumptions)?

Let us presume that God exists and is omniscient. Hence, God knows everything. Hence, God knows what will happen in the future. Hence, God knows exactly what a specific person will do at every moment in his or her life. Hence, the future is set, since it is already known.

So, under these circumstances, would it not be true that, since the future is set, free will does not exist?

chessmaster1989

Just throwing that out there. >_>

smithster118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 smithster118
Member since 2008 • 3910 Posts

If a fortune-teller should know what you will do tomorrow, does this mean that your actions are compelled by his knowledge? Obviously not. The hypothetical fortune-teller merely "sees" into the future and observes the resul tof your choice. If God's knowledge of the future were to stem from His ability to "see" into the future, this would in no way affect man's freedom of choice.The paradox of divine foreknowledge and human choice is that God's knowledge of the future is not the product of future events, but a feature of His all-pervasive reality. Nothing exists outside of God; He is the cause of all, and nothing outside of Him is the cause for anything in Him.

Hungry_bunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Hungry_bunny
Member since 2006 • 14293 Posts
Can God create a creature with a future that he cannot predict? If he wanted to... sure. But he sees everything so I guess he has to try pretty hard to restrain some aspects of himself during the creation... BUT if he's GOD then paradoxes shouldn't mean anything to him. It reminds me a bit of that question, can Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself cannot eat it?
The_Versatile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The_Versatile
[QUOTE="The_Versatile"][QUOTE="unholymight"] It's only a choice if you had the freedom of deciding which option to take. Someone else made the decision for you, and you would only be following it.unholymight

God created the world, so technically he would be the cause for everything. I'm an atheist, just to clear any confusion. God also is able to predict your choices before you are born, and since he is also the ultimate cause for your being, he both made the decisions and compelled you to go by them.

Predicition is not the same as control, and what you're still not understanding is that the idea of God's existence has nothing to do with why free will is a bogus concept. If you want to say God controls everything, just because he does, because he's IN CONTROL of events as they unfold, then fine. Then your argument holds weight. But to say his ability to SEE IT is what removes our free will, that's incorrect.
unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 unholymight

If a fortune-teller should know what you will do tomorrow, does this mean that your actions are compelled by his knowledge? Obviously not. The hypothetical fortune-teller merely "sees" into the future and observes the resul tof your choice. If God's knowledge of the future were to stem from His ability to "see" into the future, this would in no way affect man's freedom of choice.The paradox of divine foreknowledge and human choice is that God's knowledge of the future is not the product of future events, but a feature of His all-pervasive reality. Nothing exists outside of God; He is the cause of all, and nothing outside of Him is the cause for anything in Him.

smithster118
Yes, but only if that fortune-teller is such that he is never wrong and predicts with 100% accuraccy. If he told you that you were going to play soccer the next day, you wouldn't be capable of making choices that lead to you avoiding playing soccer.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts
Yes, it is our choices and all, but he already knows who is going to hell and who isn't before they are born if he already knows whats going to happen.....
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
Well... being the Calvinist that I am I believe people have free will, but that free will is limited to one's nature. Two natures: the heart of stone and the heart of flesh. The heart of stone is totally against God and the only way that person can do anything for God is through God's direct working in his life. Once that nature changed, it becomes a heart of flesh which seeks to glorify God. Both natures have sin and both natures are capable of good. The difference is the desire of the heart and the heart of flesh has a "freed will." That is, only then does the individual have the complete choice as to whether or not he should sin. The spirit is made free, but the physical body still has some limitations. Only after the resurrection of the dead are sinless bodies given (1 Cor. 15). The following is some stuff I'm copying and pasting from Wikipedia in reference to the five-points of Calvinism. 1. The doctrine of total depravity (also called "total inability") asserts that, as a consequence of the fall of humanity into sin, every person born into the world is enslaved to the service of sin. People are not by nature inclined to love God with their whole heart, mind, or strength, but rather all are inclined to serve their own interests over those of their neighbor and to reject the rule of God. Thus, all people by their own faculties are morally unable to choose to follow God and be saved because they are unwilling to do so out of the necessity of their own natures. (The term "total" in this context refers to sin affecting every part of a person, not that every person is as evil as possible.) 2. The doctrine of unconditional election asserts that God's choice from eternity of those whom he will bring to himself is not based on foreseen virtue, merit, or faith in those people. Rather, it is unconditionally grounded in God's mercy alone. 3. Also called "particular redemption" or "definite atonement", the doctrine of limited atonement is the teaching that Jesus' substitutionary atonement was definite and certain in its design and accomplishment. The doctrine is driven by the concept of the sovereignty of God in salvation and the Calvinistic understanding of the nature of the atonement. Namely, Calvinists view the atonement as a penal substitution (that is, Jesus was punished in the place of sinners), and since, Calvinists argue, it would be unjust for God to pay the penalty for some people's sins and then still condemn them for those sins, all those whose sins were atoned for must necessarily be saved. 4. The doctrine of irresistible grace (also called "efficacious grace") asserts that the saving grace of God is effectually applied to those whom he has determined to save (that is, the elect) and, in God's timing, overcomes their resistance to obeying the call of the gospel, bringing them to a saving faith. 5. Perseverance (or preservation) of the saints is also known as "eternal security." The word saints is used in the Biblical sense to refer to all who are set apart by God, not in the technical sense of one who is exceptionally holy, canonized, or in heaven (see Saint). The doctrine asserts that, since God is sovereign and his will cannot be frustrated by humans or anything else, those whom God has called into communion with himself will continue in faith until the end. Those who apparently fall away either never had true faith to begin with or will return.
The_Versatile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 The_Versatile

smithster118
I like the fortune-teller analogy, I should have used it myself. Correct. Psychics are not Gods. Psychics do not control anything. Seeing and controlling are not the same.
unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 unholymight
[QUOTE="Hungry_bunny"]Can God create a creature with a future that he cannot predict? If he wanted to... sure. But he sees everything so I guess he has to try pretty hard to restrain some aspects of himself during the creation... BUT if he's GOD then paradoxes shouldn't mean anything to him. It reminds me a bit of that question, can Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself cannot eat it?

No, there is a limit to the logic-breaking clause. Can God create a burrito so hot that he himself cannot eat without breaking the laws of logic? This is a special case for the paradox. If He did it, he would be breaking the laws of logic, which isn't what was asked of him. Then the logic-breaking clause is used again, and the "not what was asked" will be used in return ad infinitium.
The_Versatile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 The_Versatile
Well... being the Calvinist that I am I believe people have free will, but that free will is limited to one's nature. Two natures: the heart of stone and the heart of flesh. The heart of stone is totally against God and the only way that person can do anything for God is through God's direct working in his life. Once that nature changed, it becomes a heart of flesh which seeks to glorify God. Both natures have sin and both natures are capable of good. The difference is the desire of the heart and the heart of flesh has a "freed will." That is, only then does the individual have the complete choice as to whether or not he should sin. The spirit is made free, but the physical body still has some limitations. Only after the resurrection of the dead are sinless bodies given (1 Cor. 15). The following is some stuff I'm copying and pasting from Wikipedia in reference to the five-points of Calvinism. 1. The doctrine of total depravity (also called "total inability") asserts that, as a consequence of the fall of humanity into sin, every person born into the world is enslaved to the service of sin. People are not by nature inclined to love God with their whole heart, mind, or strength, but rather all are inclined to serve their own interests over those of their neighbor and to reject the rule of God. Thus, all people by their own faculties are morally unable to choose to follow God and be saved because they are unwilling to do so out of the necessity of their own natures. (The term "total" in this context refers to sin affecting every part of a person, not that every person is as evil as possible.) 2. The doctrine of unconditional election asserts that God's choice from eternity of those whom he will bring to himself is not based on foreseen virtue, merit, or faith in those people. Rather, it is unconditionally grounded in God's mercy alone. 3. Also called "particular redemption" or "definite atonement", the doctrine of limited atonement is the teaching that Jesus' substitutionary atonement was definite and certain in its design and accomplishment. The doctrine is driven by the concept of the sovereignty of God in salvation and the Calvinistic understanding of the nature of the atonement. Namely, Calvinists view the atonement as a penal substitution (that is, Jesus was punished in the place of sinners), and since, Calvinists argue, it would be unjust for God to pay the penalty for some people's sins and then still condemn them for those sins, all those whose sins were atoned for must necessarily be saved. 4. The doctrine of irresistible grace (also called "efficacious grace") asserts that the saving grace of God is effectually applied to those whom he has determined to save (that is, the elect) and, in God's timing, overcomes their resistance to obeying the call of the gospel, bringing them to a saving faith. 5. Perseverance (or preservation) of the saints is also known as "eternal security." The word saints is used in the Biblical sense to refer to all who are set apart by God, not in the technical sense of one who is exceptionally holy, canonized, or in heaven (see Saint). The doctrine asserts that, since God is sovereign and his will cannot be frustrated by humans or anything else, those whom God has called into communion with himself will continue in faith until the end. Those who apparently fall away either never had true faith to begin with or will return.mindstorm
Dude... you really should try thinking for yourself. You might like it. All you ever do is make excuses for what you were taught, even when there's obvious inaccuracies. Don't you ever feel guilty playing that game? C'mon...
unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 unholymight
[QUOTE="unholymight"][QUOTE="The_Versatile"] Like I just said, God knowing what you're going to do, does not equate to him making the decision for you. All-seeing knowledge of what will happen, does not mean you have control of the events. Just put yourself in those shoes... let's say you suddenly gain the ability to see all things before they happen. For example, you see that in 2010, there will be a great war between China and Russia where 100,000 people die. Just because you can see it happening ahead of time, doesn't mean you caused it, and it doesn't mean you can stop it from happening. God isn't real anyway, and no one makes choices, we only react to stimuli, which were sent our way as a reaction from the stimuli preceding that.The_Versatile

Predicition is not the same as control, and what you're still not understanding is that the idea of God's existence has nothing to do with why free will is a bogus concept. If you want to say God controls everything, just because he does, because he's IN CONTROL of events as they unfold, then fine. Then your argument holds weight. But to say his ability to SEE IT is what removes our free will, that's incorrect.

It does, because then for every choice you only have one option to choose from. By the definition of choice, you must be able to choose from 2 or more different options.
AYBABTme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AYBABTme
Member since 2007 • 409 Posts

God gave us free will because He loves us so much, and forcing us to love Him would be similar to rape, so He told Adam and Eve that they could do whatever they wanted, except eat from the tree of knowledge, and if they loved Him, they wouldn't have eaten from the tree.

It is unknown to me how God knows the future, and it is beyond human intelligence to comprehend it, if He does (and I believe He does).

unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 unholymight
[QUOTE="smithster118"]

The_Versatile
I like the fortune-teller analogy, I should have used it myself. Correct. Psychics are not Gods. Psychics do not control anything. Seeing and controlling are not the same.

The analogy does not work because fortune tellers are not compelled to be always correct. Also, fortune tellers only see one event at a time, whereas God knows everything at once.
Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts

[QUOTE="unholymight"] It's only a choice if you had the freedom of deciding which option to take. Someone else made the decision for you, and you would only be following it.The_Versatile

Uhh theres the difference between a fortune teller and GOD. Heres a hypothetical example, a fortune teller says tomorrow you will see a KFC and a Taco Bell beside each other and you will go to the taco bell. When you reach there you decide to change fate and go for the KFC. God however cannot be wrong, so if he says tomorrow you will go to taco bell, you cant change your fate because if you do then you would have made god wrong which is impossible. so yeah religion is a paradox and a half.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

Dude... you really should try thinking for yourself. You might like it. All you ever do is make excuses for what you were taught, even when there's obvious inaccuracies. Don't you ever feel guilty playing that game? C'mon...The_Versatile

I do think for myself... I was just too lazy to write all that myself...

I don't follow everything John Calvin did, just a lot of it. :P I'm technically considered a New Calvinist.

unholymight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 unholymight

God gave us free will because He loves us so much, and forcing us to love Him would be similar to rape, so He told Adam and Eve that they could do whatever they wanted, except eat from the tree of knowledge, and if they loved Him, they wouldn't have eaten from the tree.

It is unknown to me how God knows the future, and it is beyond human intelligence to comprehend it, if He does (and I believe He does).

AYBABTme
Hmm, but if God knows everything, wouldn't he have known before he even created Adam and Eve that they were going to eat from the tree? If this were the case, then there wouldn't be much point in testing Adam and Even when God already knew the result long before he even created them.
-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
I think free will gives God the meaning God has. If all minds we're pre-programmed, God would be just a "master of ceremonies", witnessing how we execute the "plan" given to us. In a way, free will defines God.